The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

◄PVP Magicka Nightblade Tips/Tricks► (Out-Dated)

• Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    krim wrote: »
    Araxleon wrote: »
    PBpsy wrote: »
    But Nightblade is not weak compared to other classes... we have a few broken skills other than that we are balanced...
    Magicka builds are balanced across the board.

And you have showed your true agenda.
    Sorry I have both a VR14 NB and a VR14 DK and man is the DK stronger. It is a fact. That doesn't mean that I can't kill DKs with my NB or I never get killed by NBs on the DK in 1v1 fights. The difference is obvious in the long run, in the kill streak lengths,the kdr and the overall AP I get.

No offense but you dont know how to play nightblade then. Nightblades are way stronger in 1v1. Its rare I know you barly see it but they are and yes DK are very flexible. but 1v1 wise and small scale a NB can win. People just like things simple on your DK you can hop on and kick ass. Nightblades aren't as simple.
    Do people have no faith in Nightblade? I feel like people signed it off as "underpowed and useless" When it has many strengths.

1v1 1vx NBs are beast.. I can hang with the best of them and i never duel anymore. You try to help people out but they dont want to hear it unless your using a bow or wearing medium armor.

Suffice to say this is true in most cases, but the proper spec of medium/bow with all weapon damage is insane single target spike.

Not so much for groups, but a solo ganker is straight up lethal with that setup. Fast, hard hitting, and recovers quickly.

The problem with most nightblades that run that spec is they get caught out of stealth and owned because they have no survivability. No shield stacking, no real defense, and they wonder why they die.

A good single target spike ganker will never be seen, the mark is dead before they even know what hit them (til they read death recap), and by that time the NB is long long gone.

I legitimately wonder sometimes if half the people I kill in the above manner could have even reacted, ive seen DKs go from 3500 - 0 in a blink of an eye.

When I die, I know its because I screwed up or didnt see a second mark next to my primary that had the drop back on me. Bad positioning, getting greedy, screwing up the rotation, or just getting plain surprised by a gank group of 3 when I expected only 1, all the main reasons my ganker ever dies. Its not like med/bow is bad or anything mate.
    Edited by Rylana on October 11, 2014 1:59PM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »
    OP, I am just going to point out that Funnel Health and Swallow Soul do the exact same damage.

FH grants the healing element to two allies
    SS gives you 10% more healing from everything (including itself) when it is slotted.

Therefore, SS is actually the better morph unless you plan to be some kind of off-healer

Ergo in an identical build that achieves 400 damage per cast -

Funnel Health would do 400 damage + heal you and two allies for 5 ticks of 100
    Swallow Soul would do 400 damage + heal you for 5 ticks of 110.

Last I checked (last patch) They say they do the same damage when you look at the morphs. but swallow soul doesnt increase in damage as the skill increases where funnel does more damage as the skill increases. but That was last I checked. But im pretty sure Funnel IV does more damage than Swallow IV.
    I do around 540 every cast with my funnel.

Youre making me curious actually. The tooltips have always shown the same damage, and my flytexts/logs always showed comparable results. If there is a new error, or something changed, id be very very interested in the details tbh.

I tested all the morphs months ago when I first got serious about my specs (hit vr10, etc) and back then they were 100 percent the same in damage output.
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    fear is awesome when your opponent is not blocking while they are feared.

shades........ I never really used em. I tried them once.... did not care for them much.
  • krim
    krim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Nightblade is not weak compared to other classes... we have a few broken skills other than that we are balanced...

Sorry I have both a VR14 NB and a VR14 DK and man is the DK stronger. It is a fact. That doesn't mean that I can't kill DKs with my NB or I never get killed by NBs on the DK in 1v1 fights. The difference is obvious in the long run, in the kill streak lengths,the kdr and the overall AP I get.

No offense but you dont know how to play nightblade then. Nightblades are way stronger in 1v1. Its rare I know you barly see it but they are and yes DK are very flexible. but 1v1 wise and small scale a NB can win. People just like things simple on your DK you can hop on and kick ass. Nightblades aren't as simple.
    Do people have no faith in Nightblade? I feel like people signed it off as "underpowed and useless" When it has many strengths.

1v1 1vx NBs are beast.. I can hang with the best of them and i never duel anymore. You try to help people out but they dont want to hear it unless your using a bow or wearing medium armor.

Suffice to say this is true in most cases, but the proper spec of medium/bow with all weapon damage is insane single target spike.

Not so much for groups, but a solo ganker is straight up lethal with that setup. Fast, hard hitting, and recovers quickly.

The problem with most nightblades that run that spec is they get caught out of stealth and owned because they have no survivability. No shield stacking, no real defense, and they wonder why they die.

A good single target spike ganker will never be seen, the mark is dead before they even know what hit them (til they read death recap), and by that time the NB is long long gone.

I legitimately wonder sometimes if half the people I kill in the above manner could have even reacted, ive seen DKs go from 3500 - 0 in a blink of an eye.

When I die, I know its because I screwed up or didnt see a second mark next to my primary that had the drop back on me. Bad positioning, getting greedy, screwing up the rotation, or just getting plain surprised by a gank group of 3 when I expected only 1, all the main reasons my ganker ever dies. Its not like med/bow is bad or anything mate.

If you feel like ganking sure its not bad. Why limit yourself though when there are better options that make you more rounded. When it comes down to pushing into keeps or fighting zergs you are close to obsolete. Its not being killed by bow users thats frustrating its when you look onto the battlefield and your the only one fighting with 20 bow users standing 50 yards back doing nothing.

You bow users remember you have two wep slots.

For those who hate people who use aoe builds and claim it takes no skill. How does that differ from killing people from stealth in 2-3 hits, or just killing someone from range whos not even attacking you.

• Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If you feel like ganking sure its not bad. Why limit yourself though when there are better options that make you more rounded. When it comes down to pushing into keeps or fighting zergs you are close to obsolete. Its not being killed by bow users thats frustrating its when you look onto the battlefield and your the only one fighting with 20 bow users standing 50 yards back doing nothing.

For those who hate people who use aoe builds and claim it takes no skill. How does that differ from killing people from stealth in 2-3 hits, or just killing someone from range whos not even attacking you.

well, to be fair, if you are speced to kill people instantly from stealth, your defensive capabilities are likely crappy. so it CAN be a bit more difficult than just spamming impulse the entire time. not by much though I suppose
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is the only Nightblades who has tore through my shields like a wet paper sack and killed me soundly twice. Granted I only realized later i was in PvE gear with 3k hitpoints and no impen but he is definitely the hardest hitting nightblade I've seen.

It is nice to see a nightblade with true understanding of all aspects of their class and the experience to back up that understanding.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the only Nightblades who has tore through my shields like a wet paper sack and killed me soundly twice. Granted I only realized later i was in PvE gear with 3k hitpoints and no impen but he is definitely the hardest hitting nightblade I've seen.

It is nice to see a nightblade with true understanding of all aspects of their class and the experience to back up that understanding.

Ahhh I remember you on haderus lol I was told to "slow you down" sadly you had overload and were emp x_x didnt see that overload coming xD
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, I am just going to point out that Funnel Health and Swallow Soul do the exact same damage.

FH grants the healing element to two allies
    SS gives you 10% more healing from everything (including itself) when it is slotted.

Therefore, SS is actually the better morph unless you plan to be some kind of off-healer

Ergo in an identical build that achieves 400 damage per cast -

Funnel Health would do 400 damage + heal you and two allies for 5 ticks of 100
    Swallow Soul would do 400 damage + heal you for 5 ticks of 110.

Last I checked (last patch) They say they do the same damage when you look at the morphs. but swallow soul doesnt increase in damage as the skill increases where funnel does more damage as the skill increases. but That was last I checked. But im pretty sure Funnel IV does more damage than Swallow IV.
    I do around 540 every cast with my funnel.

Youre making me curious actually. The tooltips have always shown the same damage, and my flytexts/logs always showed comparable results. If there is a new error, or something changed, id be very very interested in the details tbh.

I tested all the morphs months ago when I first got serious about my specs (hit vr10, etc) and back then they were 100 percent the same in damage output.

I will verify this today. Just to make sure, Cuz Im pretty sure
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I run a bow/dw build around weapon damage, when I swap to DW and use sap/tornado/veil or bats, I do reasonable AOE DPS. It isnt as good as it was when I was a magicka build, but those tornadoes can crit for over 1200, especially vs low health targets.

Its about blended playstyles really, My nightblade is my soloer, my DK and Templar are my group chars and are specced thus.

I know there are better ways to build for group synergy and support, but thats not the role for my nb.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see someone who is obviously skilled at playing the class trying to provide helpful tips to the community. : )

Was wondering if you might have any recommendations on sets for a spell damage / magicka focused build?

Edited by Varicite on October 12, 2014 2:17AM
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Ahhh I remember you on haderus lol I was told to "slow you down" sadly you had overload and were emp x_x didnt see that overload coming xD

Well this was before I was emperor but yes we've had our little trysts as well since then..
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • GwaynLoki
    GwaynLoki
    ✭✭✭

*Rummages in his folders* Now, where did I put that screenshot of a guy claiming in guild chat it takes skill to snipe people...
  • Sypher
    Sypher
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Araxleon is a better NB than me as I just started playing NB 2 days ago. But take his advice as legitimate advice. I listened to his tips and spoke with him about playing a NB. A few days later I start pulling off things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtXSIbxy2nI

@Araxleon is a beast NB, Listen and Learn!
    DC Dragonknight 'Sypher - AD Nightblade Sypher Ali - AD Sorcerer Sypher Sensei - EP Sorcerer Sypharian - DC Templar Ali Sypher

Youtube: www.youtube.com/SypherPK
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/SypherPK
  • Desdemonte
    Desdemonte
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody can pwn as a NB like me

http://youtu.be/NHkOjIwog0w
  • Poxheart
    Poxheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing a magicka base NB for awhile now and have a couple of comments on the OP.

I'm considering taking Crippling Grasp off my bar for two reasons. 1) the travel time is so slow that most fleeing opponents dodge it. 2) the immobilize portion of the skill is blocked by enemy shields.

You mention using Dark Cloak a few times, but the skill isn't on either of the bars at the end of the post.

Other than that, I agree with the overall message of the post.
    Unsubbed and no longer playing, but still checking the Alliance War forum for the lulz.

Pox Dragon Knight
    Poxheart Nightblade
    The Murder Hobo Dragon Knight - Blackwater Blade
    Knights of the WhiteWolf
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poxheart wrote: »
    I've been playing a magicka base NB for awhile now and have a couple of comments on the OP.

I'm considering taking Crippling Grasp off my bar for two reasons. 1) the travel time is so slow that most fleeing opponents dodge it. 2) the immobilize portion of the skill is blocked by enemy shields.

You mention using Dark Cloak a few times, but the skill isn't on either of the bars at the end of the post.

Other than that, I agree with the overall message of the post.

Reason I mentioned it as a alternative example.... since the harness nerf darkcloak is a bit better prob or mist form + healing ward
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Araxleon,

Appreciate you taking time to help others with NB in PvP!

I've been playing my NB for a while in PvE, but only PvP recently. And while there are similarities (PvE vs. PvP), it currently seems like the NB requires more of a change in skill/style between the two than the other classes.

In my short time doing PvP, I've observed that both defense requires different approach as does contributing to groups vs. solo... both of these required me to alter my style significantly and also made my rotation more complex vs. PvE.

~If there's any class that I think could use more skill slots I'm convinced it's NB xD.

Hopefully I can find you in PvP and learn some lessons from you the hard way :).
    Edited by Sacadon on October 14, 2014 2:38AM
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth,

Appreciate you taking time to help others with NB in PvP!

I've been playing my NB for a while in PvE, but only PvP recently. And while there are similarities (PvE vs. PvP), it currently seems like the NB requires more of a change in skill/style between the two than the other classes.

In my short time doing PvP, I've observed that both defense requires different approach as does contributing to groups vs. solo... both of these required me to alter my style significantly and also made my rotation more complex vs. PvE.

~If there's any class that I think could use more skill slots I'm convinced it's NB xD.

Hopefully I can find you in PvP and learn some lessons from you the hard way :).

huh lol? did ezareth help you with something?
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derp! Apologies... I was thanking you for sure Araxleon.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every class has immense changes to both gear and bar setups between PvE and PvP. Almost nothing on my bars that I use in PvP do I use in PvE as a sorc.

And I've helped far more nightblades become better players than Araxleon has...my lessons are just more direct :P~

So many of the Nightblades I used to kill over and over again have all learned how to counter me or at least become much harder to kill. The best way to learn in this game is to die to someone else and figure out why they killed you.

Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth he was refering to me xD it was a mistake that is why i was correcting him. Saying you have helped way more NB than me is neither true nor false. We both wouldnt know before I helped people I only knew and people that asked and those people have become extremely good this is my first time reaching out and helping the community I can help people way better ingame if they contact me I usually share secrets many people dont know. Though I have faced NB friends of your and many have fallen to me lol I have no idea if you have trained them or not but it doesn't matter. Im here to help NB I dont really care if you have helped NB "more" than me, My point is to do my part and do my best to help all NB become better than they are now weither that means it was a better job or not than you since ya know the NB community is pretty *** I was change that.
    so no offense don't say you have done a better job, we both wouldnt know.lol The other day I was in TS with you (if you realized it or not/ you joined to coordinate) and i was training some nightblades that exact moment
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was a joke my friend, I know he meant you and I doubt my *lessons* have been all the beneficial to anyone.

I'm just glad all the NBs out there aren't running your build ( =
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a joke my friend, I know he meant you and I doubt my *lessons* have been all the beneficial to anyone.

I'm just glad all the NBs out there aren't running your build ( =
    lol I just woke up xD guess I took it wrong haha. But you did have a point killing them teaches them, Well in your case x_x you kill them to quick I bet crazy damage lol
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got it... I learn NB from Araxleon then maybe I can test with you Ezareth. :) This was probably what I had on my mind earlier, since it's the skilled sorcs that give me the most challenge. One in particular has killed me 15 times and 0 for me.

He manages his resources extremely well and always outlasts me. Had him down to 25-30% health several times, but couldn't keep him stunned long enough for a kill shot and he always saves enough magicka to bolt away, dark exchange or symmetry and come back... This was back when I was VR2 and he was VR14, but that usually doesn't matter for my glass cannon build.
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1v1 - ambush, concealed weapon, impale, soul harvest

Group - Ambush to keep up with group leader, sap essense, bat swarm or veil.

Support skills on bar #2: Resto staff with healing springs, caltrops, silverbolts (just to have some attack with stamina), immovable, and whatever (usually a skill i'm leveling)

This is so wrong it's crazy. Bow is overrated, maybe good for PUGs I guess...
    Edited by reften on October 14, 2014 12:52PM
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oren74 wrote: »
    1v1 - ambush, concealed weapon, impale, soul harvest

Group - Ambush to keep up with group leader, sap essense, bat swarm or veil.

Support skills on bar #2: Resto staff with healing springs, caltrops, silverbolts (just to have some attack with stamina), immovable, and whatever (usually a skill i'm leveling)

People think all NB use bows... honestly I hate the playstyle its soo cheap, I like to actually earn my kills.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Oh, you wait. When the cast time for Snipe is reduced to 1.1 secs and doing >1k dmg (not stealthed) there'll be a whole new generation of Legolasses ready to pounce on our....... I'll let you complete the rhyme.

EU | PC | AD
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, you wait. When the cast time for Snipe is reduced to 1.1 secs and doing >1k dmg (not stealthed) there'll be a whole new generation of Legolasses ready to pounce on our....... I'll let you complete the rhyme.

I know... I read the notes... and with this nerf to harness they basically made it useless... mixed with the bow buff idk what they are doing. idk if you tested it but harness will soon be 100% useless... and yet they still havent made our cloak responsive ...
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I know... I read the notes... and with this nerf to harness they basically made it useless... mixed with the bow buff idk what they are doing. idk if you tested it but harness will soon be 100% useless... and yet they still havent made our cloak responsive ...

I'm in EU so I haven't played with the new Harness yet. It's the first thing I'll do this evening.

The way you were using, as a generic extra shield against anyone, is no longer viable. I personally used it both on my DK and my Sorc to shield stack.

I think my DK is the least affected as he already has a generic shield (Igneous Shield) not to mention an awesome heal. The Sorc I'll have to test to see. I use my Sorc for duels and I feel this is a nerf, but a friend of mine who also mostly duels on his Sorc said he didn't feel it was a nerf when he played this morning.

I'll reserve judgement for when I test it. Not looking forward to it though.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    but a friend of mine who also mostly duels on his Sorc said he didn't feel it was a nerf when he played this morning.

I'll reserve judgement for when I test it. Not looking forward to it though.

I did not feel much of a nerf to Harness Magicka as it is on Live. It is basically the same amount of shield, but it does not grant the 50% dmg reduction to spells through multiple shields (there is no dmg reduction at all). I feel the big nerf is coming which is currently on testlive....

"Harness Magicka (Annulment morph): This ability can now only restore magicka up to three times per cast."
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points