The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

◄PVP Magicka Nightblade Tips/Tricks► (Out-Dated)

Araxleon
Araxleon
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello! I’m Araxleon.

I have theorycrafted everything that is nightblade within the use of magicka and here I will be sharing tips/builds/strategies to help you become a better nightblade. This isn't just a guide to a single "build" this is everything that is nightblade involving magicka. I will be working on a stamina version in the future, but for this I ask that you trust me, I know what im talking about since I have tested MANY things. Enjoy!

ASSASSINATION

Impale: This skill is a long range execute which is extremely useful. It has good range so you can usually catch people even when they attempt to run. Look at this skill not as a execute but 24% HP Debuff on your enemy. Because you are a magicka NB your impale will do insane damage unlike stamina NB you can also use this to weaken shields.
Deals physical damage
Scales off physical crit
Scales off spell power
300% bonus damage when your enemy is at 24% HP

Ambush: Deals good damage and is a amazing gap closer. Ambush immobilizes and be be used while you are immobilized which makes it best gap closer in game and also makes your next attack deal 36% more damage which makes a great skill for comboing.
Deals physical damage
Scales off physical crit
Scales off spell power

Double take: This skill in my opinion is only useful when stacked with evasion.

Piercing Mark: Very useful to find people that are stealthy or love to run away, Great for catching your NB stamina brothers and also if you correctly you can use it in 1vX to heal yourself a ton.
Can be Purged/reduced time.

Incapacitating Strike: (ULTIMATE) This skill is great the damage mixed with the amount it costs but in my opinion its useless since everyone blocks, its great for ganking but other then that its not that great.
Deals Physical Damage
Scales off physical crit
Scales off spell power

SHADOW

Dark Cloak: It helps you get away/removes dots. The other morph makes every crit including heals while invis so both morphs are amazing but from what devs have said many things will be changing with dark cloak so I’d rather not discuss it much now. Personally I don’t use the skill at all.

Surprise Attack: This skill deals amazing damage and reduces your enemies armor since the damage is physical it makes itself do even more damage and its hard to counter do to the fact that even if your enemy raises their armor it will still hurt them due to it being a %.
Deals Physical Damage
Scales off physical crit
Scales off spell power

Path of Darkness: This skill doesn't have much going for it you the damage is not much and the speed boost doesn't matter since its such a small area but this ablility has the potential to be amazing you can cast this spell and circle your enemy quickly and they will not be able to target you once they add some way to be immune to snares and being able to deal damage behind blocking enemies I see this being amazing until then its used for build ult in large groups or scroll runs.
Deals magical damage
Scales off spell crit
Scales off spell power

Mass Hysteria: 4.5 sec fear that goes through block, this skill allows you to bypass blocking enemies with ease and apply many debuffs that you normally wouldn’t be able to apply. in the right hands it is a deadly and amazing skill.
This skill is a CC so things like immovable or sets/skills that reduce CC time will work on it.

Shadow Image: The shade lasts for quite awhile and can be a livesaver with the teleport, the damage is physical so it will waste their stam if they block and the debuff of 15% less damage is applied every hit your shade does. it doesn’t stack.
Deals physical damage
No way for your enemy to remove it.

Veil of Blades: (ULTIMATE) This skill is a must on one of your bars it will make you just as tanky as anyone and will deal crazy DPS to anyone close to you I use this skill when facing multiple people or as a second chance since the tankiness it provides gives you time to heavy resto and heal.
Deals magical damage
Scales off spell crit
Scales off spell power

SIPHONING

Funnel Health: Deals great damage and provides a heal over time, as a magicka NB the heal is pretty good this version provides more ult gain for AvA but also deals more damage about 20 more then swallow soul both are amazing but I prefer funnel.
Deals magical damage
Scales off spell crit
Scales off spell power

Prolonged Suffering: This skill is just... bad, If you think this skill is worth having on your bar, you’re wrong no matter what situation ANY OTHER SKILL is better.
Deals magical damage
Scales off spell crit
Scales off spell power
Cast time

Crippling Grasp:
This ability is a damage over time that deals great damage and immobilizes your enemy can be used to counter many people who rely on gap closing or close range.
Deals magical damage
Scales off spell crit
Scales off spell power

Siphoning Attacks: How I love and hate this skill. The only time I use it is for PVE other than that I don’t see a purpose for it. If you run a magicka-oriented build, this makes you weaker. The skill also has a internal cooldown so you don't get as much as you want to get it reduces your spell power and weapon power which means you heal less aswell.
Toggle Ability

Sap Essence: Great AOE that provides amazing heals also builds ult insanely fast.
Deals magical damage
Scales off spell crit
Scales off spell power

Soul Tether: (ULTIMATE) My favorite ultimate the damage may be less then Incapacitating Strike but this ultimate is unblockable and heals you it requires more ultimate but once you have it you can tear through anyone.
Deals magical damage
Scales off spell crit
Scales off spell power

Nightblade Combo/Tips & Tricks

I suggest building a lot of spell penetration and have divines/impen trait pieces as it helps

Ambush + Funnel Health will provide a amazing heal you wanna start many fights like this.

Ambush + Surprise Attack is MASSIVE damage when put together, it destroys shields quickly.

Applying Crippling Grasp and then Ambush + Surprise Attack should be your “ganking” opener. (Cripple travels so you can move with it.)
Shadowy Disguise will make all abilities crit these include healing and dots so you can do some interesting things with this skill.
Impale/Ambush + Impale will defeat almost anyone below 24%
Ambush + Soul Tether can kill most people that are low. Kill range varies 50% and below is average kill range for most magicka NB.

Ambush + Fear + Funnel Health is a combo I use to open up an enemy mid fight so I can give myself a heal, it deals amazing damage and gives me a heal normally the enemy can block funnel and it wouldn't heal much but since fear will open them up you can get a heal from Funnel Health

Knowing when to use Mass Hysteria can be amazing, if you are aware your opponent is blocking all your attacks keep hitting them that mixed with a shade (if you dropped one) will make them run out of stamina quickly follow that up with a fear and they are open for 4.5 secs with no stam to break it.

Evasion + Mirage will provide you will a good amount of miss chance I never liked it but if it suits you use it.

Restoration Staff is recommended since NB lack self heals.

Know when to be aggressive and defensive learn this and you can win many fights you the DPS is amazing and the amount of damage you can take it great just learn not to lean too much on one side or you will be killing yourself.

Armor sets are recommended are Seducer + Warlock or Arena + Warlock

As for a mundus stone I use the apprentice.

Nightblade vs Dragonknight
First off you need you completely remove the mindset of Dragonknights being “overpowered” and when you see them think of their weakness mobility and lack of a execute, you of which have both Dragonknights tend to block 24/7 in openworld due to stamina recovery passives/abilities luckily you can drain stamina faster than any other class in the game, Drop your shade and proceed to hit the DK with all your attacks lowering their stamina then follow up with a fear most likely the DK will have to take the full 4.5 secs which give you time to burst using cunning and skill you can do this until the DK is outta resources and kill him if he is a skilled DK you most likely will be to repeat this process wait for a soul tether then fear + ambush + Soul Tether to burst him down also using Shadow Image is helpful remember you have long range damage but Dragon knights have reflect because you have a shade that allows you to teleport you can go in fight the DK and teleport out they can't really do anything at a distance. Now if the DK is not a standard Dragonknight then look at your opponent closely if you see a 2H medium armor user you you can take that and abuse the weakness like he won't be able to heal as much etc etc.

Nightblade vs Sorcerer
Sorcerers deal massive damage and shield stack, When fighting MANAGE your stamina in general managing your stamina is important but sorcs will kill you easily if you mess up, Impale/Surprise Attack/Ambush will be needed to kill any sorc the point will be to constantly keep the pressure using impales when from afar to weaken shields and Ambush + Surprise attacks, Mastering surprise attack animation cancels will destroy sorcs. Sorcs have one weakness which is they stay in the "shield stacking phase" waaaay to long, and that is your chance to strike. Surprise attack canceling on them will usually be enough damage to take out shields and hit some HP Your goal is to use your damage as a shield they won't hit you if you are hitting them very hard Healing Ward + Harness Magicka is your friend in these fights. Storm Atronach is a ult many sorcs use to counter it get out of range or if you can handle this you can fear it every 4.5 secs which will make it useless. Sorcs don't have a lot of skills to make you run out of stamina so you wanna use that against them, what you wanna do is LET THEM knock you down you will be using that against them CC break and you have 4 secs of immunity now you can DPS without worry of getting knocked down mid combo, If the sorc is a stamina style sorc like I have said analyze the situation and counter it.

Nightblade ve Templar
I will be treating this one as if I am fighting the best of templars. This fight will mainly work the same as sorcerer you will be using that CC break immunity A LOT against them, you will be trying to destroy their shields and healing at the sametime same way you kill sorcs will work with templars just more timing and healing than the sorc fight due to blazing shield, be wary if the templar is trying to delay you it might be smart to run away since they may be delaying for backup.

Nightblade vs Nightblade
You both have the DPS to kill each other easily this will be the ONLY FIGHT you should be rolling in avoid damage and get your damage in its basically a race do not go defensive for too long or your dead, I also recommend using your ult on them asap as both of you will prob have a ultimate that can one shot the other even though you want to use your ult quickly use it correctly you need to time it right or its a waste.

MY SETUP

DPS
Funnel Health, Ambush, Impale, Mass Hysteria, Surprise Attack.
Support/Defense
Harness Magicka, Rapid Regen, Crippling Grasp, Healing Ward, Shadow Image.

This is what I like to use though you can change around ANYTHING since I change skills daily depending on different situations but I use this setup almost 100% of the time.

This build can also be used in a crit version building crit instead of spell penetration I do not currently do that due to impen stopping almost of crits. If you would like to use it replace Shadow Image & Funnel/Impale for inner light.
Edited by Araxleon on September 8, 2015 5:18AM
  • jonathanonmarsnrb18_ESO
    Spot on!
  • drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭
    Nice post mate, I had mothballed my NB at VR6 to level an alt, think its time to bring him out of retirement. +1
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Araxleon wrote: »
    Ambush+ Fear+ Funnel Health The fear goes threw block and opens them up and since they are open they cant block funnel if you pull it off you will get the heal.

Fear goes through block, but does not remove it. If the blocker keeps holding RMB, he will continue to block attacks, even as he runs around randomly from being feared.
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Ambush+ Fear+ Funnel Health The fear goes threw block and opens them up and since they are open they cant block funnel if you pull it off you will get the heal.

Fear goes through block, but does not remove it. If the blocker keeps holding RMB, he will continue to block attacks, even as he runs around randomly from being feared.

Yes and no. If they hold block they will walk and keep holding it. But if you watch carefully they will do a animation and they are open for atleast 0.5 a sec or more. so you can still apply funnel. After that 0.5 they will walk while blocking. Basically an animation cancel would allow you to pull it off.
    Edited by Araxleon on October 11, 2014 8:56AM

It's also beneficial to have them block while feared as well, because you can just keep using physical attacks during that period to run them out of even more stamina, such that they won't be able to break out of fear later on.
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im working on writing down NB tactics to defeat any Dragon Knight/Sorc atm. I will edit this post later on and add it.
    Edited by Araxleon on October 11, 2014 9:05AM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's also beneficial to have them block while feared as well, because you can just keep using physical attacks during that period to run them out of even more stamina, such that they won't be able to break out of fear later on.

Sure it drains their stamina, but it protects their hitpoints, same as blocking under any other circumstances, so i don't see what's so benefical about this particular situation (unless you think the enemy blocking your attacks is benefical for you in general...)

Of course any opponent worth their salt will CC break the fear 0.3 seconds after it lands, so it's a moot point.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get what the pro tips are. Those are pretty much descriptions of what the NB skills are and that they can also be used one after another to do stuff. We are all enlightened. :(
    Edited by PBpsy on October 11, 2014 9:23AM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PBpsy wrote: »
    I don't get what the pro tips are. Those are pretty much descriptions of what the NB skills are and that they can also be used one after another to do stuff. We are all enlightened. :(
    And yet many NB preform horribly in open world. Also this is a work in progress lol
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And yet many NB preform horribly in open world. Also this is a work in progress lol

They don't perform horribly because the lack tips, they perform horribly because the class is weak compared to the others (unless you believe that for some statistically impossible reason, all the bad players chose to play nightblades...)
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Nightblade is not weak compared to other classes... we have a few broken skills other than that we are balanced...
    Magicka builds are balanced across the board.
    Edited by Araxleon on October 11, 2014 9:34AM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Nightblade is not weak compared to other classes... we have a few broken skills other than that we are balanced...

When i am on my NB, fighting another NB and fighting a DK is a nigh-and-day difference.

When i am on my sorc, i eat NB's for breakfast unless i make some grave mistake or get jumped by three at once(and even then i usually get away).
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When i am on my NB, fighting another NB and fighting a DK is a nigh-and-day difference.

When i am on my sorc, i eat NB's for breakfast unless i make some grave mistake or get jumped by three at once(and even then i usually get away).

Yeah everyclass how a diffrent playstyle to beat them. NB in 1v1 scenarios and small group fights shine extremely and people miss look it. If you would like if your on NA we could meet and I could show you, Not to sound cocky but Im undefeated from a sorc. Nightblades lack a shield, But our DPS is basically our defense if im hitting you soo much and your health is dropping you stay on defense which means im not getting hit
    Edited by Araxleon on October 11, 2014 9:40AM
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

And you have showed your true agenda.
    Sorry I have both a VR14 NB and a VR14 DK and man is the DK stronger. It is a fact. That doesn't mean that I can't kill DKs with my NB or I never get killed by NBs on the DK in 1v1 fights. The difference is obvious in the long run, in the kill streak lengths,the kdr ,the crap I can get in and out of and the overall AP I get.

And if you really think that you never been killed by a sorc you either haven't played enough or you aren't paying attention to the game or codex doesn't work properly for you.
    Edited by PBpsy on October 11, 2014 9:52AM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I have both a VR14 NB and a VR14 DK and man is the DK stronger. It is a fact. That doesn't mean that I can't kill DKs with my NB or I never get killed by NBs on the DK in 1v1 fights. The difference is obvious in the long run, in the kill streak lengths,the kdr and the overall AP I get.

No offense but you dont know how to play nightblade then. Nightblades are way stronger in 1v1. Its rare I know you barly see it but they are and yes DK are very flexible. but 1v1 wise and small scale a NB can win. People just like things simple on your DK you can hop on and kick ass. Nightblades aren't as simple.
    Do people have no faith in Nightblade? I feel like people signed it off as "underpowed and useless" When it has many strengths.
    Edited by Araxleon on October 11, 2014 9:53AM
    Nightblades take skill. End of story. A good NB can be on par with a good DK easily. If you're not doing very well against other classes as a NB, probably means you don't understand the NB class well enough.

Sure DKs might be easier to play, but that doesn't directly correlate to meaning that DKs or any other classes are "better" than NBs.
    Edited by jonathanonmarsnrb18_ESO on October 11, 2014 9:57AM
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone has ANY doubts that nightblades are waaaaay below DK and a NB could never beat a good Dragonknight add me! and I will show you I have convinced many people that nightblade are viable... I think people deserve to know...
    Edited by Araxleon on October 11, 2014 10:00AM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Class X taking twice the skill to play as effectively as class Y is the definition of class X being underpowered.
  • Minsc
    Minsc
    ✭✭✭
    If you are the guy that Sypher was saying he loses to 50% ( or somewhere along these lines ), then people need to pay attention to what you say :smile:
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Sorry I have both a VR14 NB and a VR14 DK and man is the DK stronger. It is a fact. That doesn't mean that I can't kill DKs with my NB or I never get killed by NBs on the DK in 1v1 fights. The difference is obvious in the long run, in the kill streak lengths,the kdr and the overall AP I get.

No offense but you dont know how to play nightblade then. Nightblades are way stronger in 1v1. Its rare I know you barly see it but they are and yes DK are very flexible. but 1v1 wise and small scale a NB can win. People just like things simple on your DK you can hop on and kick ass. Nightblades aren't as simple.
    Do people have no faith in Nightblade? I feel like people signed it off as "underpowed and useless" When it has many strengths.

Did I say that I think NBs are useless or that I can't kill DKs at any point? I am doing fine on my NB. Thank you very much. But on my DK most I have to do to kill half of the NBs I see is flap my wings and kill them with their swallow soul/ poison arrows. :p. I was also amazed how funny the shades and fears are on the other side. Really they do squat.

I give you something caster NB is the best class for PVE in pretty much any regards at the moment,
    Edited by PBpsy on October 11, 2014 10:04AM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minsc wrote: »
    If you are the guy that Sypher was saying he loses to 50% ( or somewhere along these lines ), then people need to pay attention to what you say :smile:

Actually <.< Dont tell sypher this hehe *whispers* me and sypher are 50/50... But I never used fire resist on him lol I would prob have a easier time I like challenges. Thought sypher is an amazing Dragonknight... one of the few that can beat me
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I have both a VR14 NB and a VR14 DK and man is the DK stronger. It is a fact. That doesn't mean that I can't kill DKs with my NB or I never get killed by NBs on the DK in 1v1 fights. The difference is obvious in the long run, in the kill streak lengths,the kdr ,the crap I can get in and out of and the overall AP I get.

And if you really think that you never been killed by a sorc you either haven't played enough or you aren't paying attention to the game or codex doesn't work properly for you.

Actually recently since im finished this build. I havent been beaten by a sorc, of course I have died to sorcs lol everyone has died to every class. But I have never been in a 1v1 encounter with a sorc and lost. And if you disagree its simple get a sorc and have them fight me. (Since I made this build)
    Edited by Araxleon on October 11, 2014 10:14AM
  • ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you OP for this info. I'm looking forward to your next installment. This will help me tweek my NB build to be even more awesome.
    FYI - There is no such thing as 'night capping' in a world wide MMO.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It's B2P not F2P. There is a difference.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.
    Balance is a "Bad" thing.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

Balance is a "Bad" thing.
    Is the glass half full or half empty?
    I say, "Get a smaller glass."
  • Glantris
    Glantris
    ✭✭✭
    ARAX OP
    ARAX OP
    ZOS CANT IRL NERF THIS GOATEE
    Glantris | VR14 AD Templar | Main Group Heals/Support
    Officer of Decibel, Officer of Legend, Sender of Congealed Cheese
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glantris lmao
  • jpatek0501ub17_ESO
    jpatek0501ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Tips from a skilled player to help others. He list skills/morphs and how he likes to use them, followed by tips on fighting DKs. Yes people who havent figured some of this out are enlightend. But you knew that as you wrote a douchy reply.

• ZOS_PierreL
    ZOS_PierreL
    ✭✭✭✭
    We wanted to let you know that we've moved this thread from the "General Discussion - English" forum to the "Alliance War" forum.

Thank you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, I am just going to point out that Funnel Health and Swallow Soul do the exact same damage.

FH grants the healing element to two allies
    SS gives you 10% more healing from everything (including itself) when it is slotted.

Therefore, SS is actually the better morph unless you plan to be some kind of off-healer

Ergo in an identical build that achieves 400 damage per cast -

Funnel Health would do 400 damage + heal you and two allies for 5 ticks of 100
    Swallow Soul would do 400 damage + heal you for 5 ticks of 110.
    Edited by Rylana on October 11, 2014 12:31PM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Araxleon
    Araxleon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »
    OP, I am just going to point out that Funnel Health and Swallow Soul do the exact same damage.

FH grants the healing element to two allies
    SS gives you 10% more healing from everything (including itself) when it is slotted.

Therefore, SS is actually the better morph unless you plan to be some kind of off-healer

Ergo in an identical build that achieves 400 damage per cast -

Funnel Health would do 400 damage + heal you and two allies for 5 ticks of 100
    Swallow Soul would do 400 damage + heal you for 5 ticks of 110.

Last I checked (last patch) They say they do the same damage when you look at the morphs. but swallow soul doesnt increase in damage as the skill increases where funnel does more damage as the skill increases. but That was last I checked. But im pretty sure Funnel IV does more damage than Swallow IV.
    I do around 540 every cast with my funnel.
    Edited by Araxleon on October 11, 2014 1:09PM
  • krim
    krim
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1v1 1vx NBs are beast.. I can hang with the best of them and i never duel anymore. You try to help people out but they dont want to hear it unless your using a bow or wearing medium armor.