The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PVE Tank Traits

Crimsonorion
Crimsonorion
✭✭✭
So for a full set of Heavy Armor and Shield what are good traits to put on crafted items. For PVE is Crit Hit defense useful. Any help would be nice thanks
  • tripiseanb14_ESO
    tripiseanb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I went with infused, to get extra HP out of my enchantments. I mixed in a couple of reinforced to get a lil above the Armor soft cap as well.
    Options
  • akriden
    akriden
    ✭✭✭
    No mob can hit you critical. In PvE. So infused is a good trait for tank armor.
    Options
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    akriden wrote: »
    No mob can hit you critical. In PvE. So infused is a good trait for tank armor.

I'm trying to figure this out too - So if this is true then Impenetrable is a PVP only trait?
    When a mob hits with a heavy attack, is that not a critical hit?
    Options
  • Dyabolikal
    Dyabolikal
    ✭✭
    I used infused on my majors (head,chest,legs,shield) and divines on my minors (feet,hands,shoulders,waist) This allows me to take advantage of the bonuses without wasting traits.

Weapons I use precise
    Options
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use 5 heavy with reenforsed + light belt & gloves with impenetrable caps on armour & spell resist and better magika regen then full heavy.
    Options
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually pretty sure at least some dungeon bosses can crit. However, it seems so rare it's probably not worth it.
    Options
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer sturdy since tanking requires alot of blocks but impenetrable, infused, and reinforced is also great for tanks. Reinforced is not really a must have since many abilities and equipment allows you to hit resistance hard caps.
    Options
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go reinforced on shield or nirn if crafted. Infused chest legs head and sturdy on shoulder belt boots and waist. Blockcost reduction on all three jewelry. I do not put any in block cost in the cp tree. Do either the cp or sturdy not both. This is for a DK. I would go more sturdy for other classes. The armor can vary. Lots of people run Ebon. No more than 30 k health is needed. Bosses do NOT crit, not that they need to. I sword and board and both bars defending on one infused on the other crusher enchant on infused. magic damage with stam return on the other.
    Edited by DHale on February 25, 2017 12:58AM
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
    Options
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    8 Sturdy all the way baby! 88 Block cost for the win!
    Options
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭

I will consider going sturdy and some infused with prismatic enchantnent as a tank which I'm sure it's also viable in PvP for tanking and staying alive while being ganked by 10 people, something I'm aiming for XD
    Edited by Gordon906 on February 25, 2017 1:03AM
    Options
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gordon906 wrote: »

I will consider going sturdy and some infused with prismatic enchantnent as a tank which I'm sure it's also viable in PvP for tanking and staying alive while being ganked by 10 people, something I'm aiming for XD

I have 8 Sturdy and all of my 8 enchants are also Prismatic. They don't need to be Infused to be worth it.
    Options
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends on fight really . With my build , I block only necessary attacks even in hardest fights . I have 8 Reinforced pretty much all the time . In axes , I have 7 Sturdy with Reinforced shield . I rarely drop below 80% there , maybe should go Reinforced during axes as well . Full Reinforced gives around 3k Resistance .

For weapon , I recommend Infused since healers probably be running Master weapons . Quick explanation why . Crusher enchant has 10 seconds of cooldown and 5 seconds duration by default . Defending weapon with Crusher enchant = 1622 * (5/10) = 811 armor reduction . Infused on the other hand = 1946 * (5/6) = 1622 . That means Crusher becomes twice more effective on an Infused weapon . Since 1k penetration means around 2% damage increase , 811 means a bit more than 1.6% . Well , while Alkosh is up , it doesn't matter anyways but it definitely does while it is not up . In the end , it depends on fight again . No logic in running Infused weapon while tanking axes right ? Well , I still do for execute phase but whatever ^^
    Options
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I run infused on the head, chest and legs, sturdy on shoulders, gloves, waist and feet, and reinforced on the shield, all with prismatic glyphs.
    Edited by itsfatbass on February 25, 2017 3:11AM
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
    Options
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    Since I'm a stamina tank, I would go 2 infused with prismatic and 5 with sturdy. Using engine guardian for extra resource management. If you have 2 heavy for monster set I recommend light/medium on hand and belt for armor passives since the hand and waist part contains the least armor points. But I have a light helm and heavy shoulder, that is why I went medium waist.
    Options
  • Ajaxduo
    Ajaxduo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally prefer to go with infused on large pieces and sturdy on small. :)
    - - -
    GM of Verum Aeternus, PC EU
    - - -
    Options
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Infused on Chest, Legs & Head & maybe shield. Makes the most of prismatic or stam enchants on these pieces.
    The rest, I usually go sturdy as divines is pretty much useless to a tank unless you off tank/dps.
    Usually I just use prismatic glyphs on head, legs & chest with stam on the rest.

Options
  • IronCrystal
    IronCrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 Sturdy is useless for people with cp. They can simply put points into Shadowward.

Infused is the way I went.
    Make PC NA raiding great again!

Down with drama!

What Mechanics Healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer

Homestead Raid Scores
    vHRC 157,030
    vAA 138,287
    vSO 153,393
    vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind
    Options
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    as
    8 Sturdy is useless for people with cp. They can simply put points into Shadowward.

Its not useless. 88 Stamina per block is more valuable then you might think. And you got plenty of resources even without Infused. There are tons of ways to play but this way is far from useless. For me one Igneous shield gives me enough stamina to block 14 hits, aka 7-14s depending on how fast I get hit. But in reality with 5-1-1 the constitution passive will give you more stamina back than you can even lose when having that low block cost. Since Tank's don't have to worry about damage dealing the only reason for high resources in Stamina and Magicka is resource management. And if you get high enough magicka recovery you will have resources for days anyway.
    Options
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @paulsimonps

why do you use 5-1-1 instead of 7-0-0?
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
    Options
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @paulsimonps

@Personofsecrets

The slight cost reduction and recovery from the 1p Medium and 1p Light outweighs the small increase you get in resistance and it outweighs the slight increase in constitution from 7-0-0. And with the undaunted passive you get just as much HP with 5-1-1 as you get with 7-0-0. In short, cost reduction be awesome, be it magicka, stamina or block.
    Edited by paulsimonps on February 27, 2017 4:57AM
    Options
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @paulsimonps

The slight cost reduction and recovery from the 1p Medium and 1p Light outweighs the small increase you get in resistance and it outweighs the slight increase in constitution from 7-0-0. And with the undaunted passive you get just as much HP with 5-1-1 as you get with 7-0-0. In short, cost reduction be awesome, be it magicka, stamina or block.

I thought that I went over the math one time in your tanking thread and showed 7-0-0 to offer a resource generation advantage when compared to 5-1-1. When discussing this idea with @Gilliamtherogue , he corroborated my idea via some of his own comparisons.

Can you please show how 5-1-1 offers superior resource management compared to 7-0-0?

Thank you.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
    Options
  • Sneaky-Snurr
    Sneaky-Snurr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@IronCrystal
    I beg to differ. Sturdy is definitely not useless. You can stack up humongous amounts of reduce cost ON TOP of Shadow Ward CP which, in the end, will yield greater numbers as I'm sure you would have known as well. I get that you'd think that other pieces should incorporate other traits instead of all Sturdy and I gladly agree with that notion, but to say it is useless all around is simply not true.
    8 pieces of equipment with Sturdy trait can be very effective in mitigating damage if built right.

Infused on the other hand is preferred to be on large pieces. It is just inefficient to use it on small pieces even if you enchant Kuta-grade on them.

@Crimsonorion
    Dear OP,
    The general rule of thumb for effective traits corresponding to equipment pieces for PvE tanks, in no particular order, are as follows:
    • Large pieces (Shield, Head, Chest and Legs): Infused, Divines, Reinforced, Sturdy
    • Small pieces (Shoulders, Waist, Hands & Feet): Divines, Sturdy, Reinforced *only on shoulders*
    • Weapons: Defending, Precise, Decisive
    Edited by Sneaky-Snurr on February 27, 2017 5:25AM
    The Order of the Shadows: Nightmare
      EP CP810 Nightblade
      AD CP810 Templar
      AD CP810 Dragon Knight
      AD Lvl 25 Sorceror
      DC Lvl 23 Nightblade
    {PC•NA•no-CP Ravenwatch}

Shadow hide you. -Unknown
    There is no clean fight in a war. -Shun Izaki
    Options
  • IronCrystal
    IronCrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I agree as some of the other's mentioned. Sturdy isn't useless. But I wouldn't use them alone. Maybe on the small pieces.

I find extra stats from infused to be far more worth it.
    Make PC NA raiding great again!

Down with drama!

What Mechanics Healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer

Homestead Raid Scores
    vHRC 157,030
    vAA 138,287
    vSO 153,393
    vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind
    Options
  • Evil_Rurouni
    Evil_Rurouni
    ✭✭✭
    Your best options for a PvE tank piece by piece, assuming you're wearing 7 heavy:

Head: Infused, reinforced, or sturdy.
    Chest: Reinforced, infused, or sturdy.
    Shoulders: Reinforced or sturdy.
    Waist: Sturdy.
    Hands: Sturdy.
    Leg: Infused, reinforced, or sturdy.
    Feet: Reinforced or sturdy.
    Shield: Sturdy, nirnhoned, infused, or reinforced.

The pieces listed without reinforced have low resistance ratings, making it a poor choice in that slot.
    The pieces listed without infused have weak enchantment effects, making that a poor choice too.

Reinforced is more useful to a 5/1/1 build than a 7/0/0 because it helps to make up for the resistance lost by having less heavy armour, a full heavy build probably won't need much help to hit resistance cap.
    The chest is the best option for a reinforced piece if you do use reinforced, it'll give the biggest resistance bonus.
    Avoid using reinforced on the medium or light piece if you run 5/1/1, and try to put those 2 pieces on either crafted belt and gloves or monster set head and shoulders.
    Nirnhoned gives a bigger resistance boost than reinforced on shields if you can afford it.
    Options
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    Your best options for a PvE tank piece by piece, assuming you're wearing 7 heavy:

Head: Infused, reinforced, or sturdy.
    Chest: Reinforced, infused, or sturdy.
    Shoulders: Reinforced or sturdy.
    Waist: Sturdy.
    Hands: Sturdy.
    Leg: Infused, reinforced, or sturdy.
    Feet: Reinforced or sturdy.
    Shield: Sturdy, nirnhoned, infused, or reinforced.

The pieces listed without reinforced have low resistance ratings, making it a poor choice in that slot.
    The pieces listed without infused have weak enchantment effects, making that a poor choice too.

Reinforced is more useful to a 5/1/1 build than a 7/0/0 because it helps to make up for the resistance lost by having less heavy armour, a full heavy build probably won't need much help to hit resistance cap.
    The chest is the best option for a reinforced piece if you do use reinforced, it'll give the biggest resistance bonus.
    Avoid using reinforced on the medium or light piece if you run 5/1/1, and try to put those 2 pieces on either crafted belt and gloves or monster set head and shoulders.
    Nirnhoned gives a bigger resistance boost than reinforced on shields if you can afford it.

I will keep that in mind. :D
    Options
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @paulsimonps

I thought that I went over the math one time in your tanking thread and showed 7-0-0 to offer a resource generation advantage when compared to 5-1-1. When discussing this idea with @Gilliamtherogue , he corroborated my idea via some of his own comparisons.

Can you please show how 5-1-1 offers superior resource management compared to 7-0-0?

Thank you.

5-1-1 is always better for tanks. Undaunted Mettle passive gives you 2% extra resources per type of armor worn. 6% extra health, stam and magika outweighs any sustain bonuses 2 extra pieces of heavy armor can give you.

As for the OP, infused on big pieces and divines/sturdy on small. Fill CP for the opposing bonus (shadow ward if divines and arcanist if sturdy). There is a lot of ways to reach resistance caps so don't waste slots on reinforced. The only exception is shield, that can be nirnhoned/reinforced.
    Edited by Royaji on February 27, 2017 7:11AM
    Options
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Infused, Reinforced, and Nirnhoned are all good traits.
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
    Options
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    @paulsimonps

Thank you.

5-1-1 is always better for tanks. Undaunted Mettle passive gives you 2% extra resources per type of armor worn. 6% extra health, stam and magika outweighs any sustain bonuses 2 extra pieces of heavy armor can give you.

As for the OP, infused on big pieces and divines/sturdy on small. Fill CP for the opposing bonus (shadow ward if divines and arcanist if sturdy). There is a lot of ways to reach resistance caps so don't waste slots on reinforced. The only exception is shield, that can be nirnhoned/reinforced.

It's 4% extra resources if I am not completely stupid? And I think each heavy piece gives 2% so the buff from undaunted would only be 4% stamina and 4% magicka. I don't recall what passives light and stamina bring to the table though.
    Options
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElliottXO wrote: »
    @paulsimonps

Thank you.

It's 4% extra resources if I am not completely stupid? And I think each heavy piece gives 2% so the buff from undaunted would only be 4% stamina and 4% magicka. I don't recall what passives light and stamina bring to the table though.

Yes, 4% will be the correct number. Medium armour doesn't really bring anything useful except higher weapon critical for better Vigor but things become interesting with light armour.

Cost reduction on magicka skills gives more utility and 4% recovery is a huge bonus. Yes, you loose some sustain from constitution but in most cases you should be fine without it. And extra stam and magika help a lot.

There is such thing as over sustain. Especially in group play since healer will be dropping shards for you.
    Options
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @paulsimonps

Thank you.

You said exactly what you quoted him on for his response. I too find that 7-0-0 is nicer to have on tanks. I would like to see some math of the others.
    #MOREORBS
    Options