The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Spell Resistance is Pointless in PVP?

• reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    Okay so I want to ask. Spell penetration pretty much negates spell resistance.

But specific elemental resistances like fire and ice resist arent affected by spell penetration right?

I don't know but its not impossible that it could. Elemental resistance shares the same cap as spell resistance. For example the cap on spell resistance is 50%. If you had 25% spell mitigation and 25% fire mitigation you would not receive any more fire mitigation by adding more fire resist. Elemental resist seems to add up just like spell resistance and fit inside the spell resist mechanic. Could someone test this on a PvP friend?

I've tested fire resist and shock resist a bit.

Fire resist reduces damage from all class abilities that use fire, such as flame lash, cinder storm, searing strikes, etc. This works the same even when target's spell resist is overcharged close to 3k.

Shock resist jewelry with legendary VR12 glyph does not affect damage at all from many class abilities that use shock damage, such as mages fury, lightning form, streak.

Shock resist only reduces damage from a couple of shock abilities: lightning flood, twilight matriarch and unstable familiar.

Thats some major inconsistancy from the results. That essentially makes elemental resistances more functional over others individually. What the hell is going on here?
  • Anu_Saukko_Tutkija
    Anu_Saukko_Tutkija
    ✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    Okay so I want to ask. Spell penetration pretty much negates spell resistance.

But specific elemental resistances like fire and ice resist arent affected by spell penetration right?

I don't know but its not impossible that it could. Elemental resistance shares the same cap as spell resistance. For example the cap on spell resistance is 50%. If you had 25% spell mitigation and 25% fire mitigation you would not receive any more fire mitigation by adding more fire resist. Elemental resist seems to add up just like spell resistance and fit inside the spell resist mechanic. Could someone test this on a PvP friend?

I've tested fire resist and shock resist a bit.

Fire resist reduces damage from all class abilities that use fire, such as flame lash, cinder storm, searing strikes, etc. This works the same even when target's spell resist is overcharged close to 3k.

Shock resist jewelry with legendary VR12 glyph does not affect damage at all from many class abilities that use shock damage, such as mages fury, lightning form, streak.

Shock resist only reduces damage from a couple of shock abilities: lightning flood, twilight matriarch and unstable familiar.

Thats some major inconsistancy from the results. That essentially makes elemental resistances more functional over others individually. What the hell is going on here?

ist das seriös?!!!

could you provide some picture of that, because if it is like you said it not working atm. if fixed not that much Elders mage online, after fix.
    Edited by Anu_Saukko_Tutkija on August 29, 2014 8:10AM
    /\:__:/\
    (。 ◕‿‿ ◕).
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes pointless. crystal fragments hitting for 1700k and spammable. lol at least lethal arrow has a long cast time and a sound effect so that you can dodge.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

W T F ! ?
    Does anything in this game actually work if you try it based off common sense, or did the Developers just try their hardest to make it impossible to understand any mechanics. *throws his pen at the screen*

I'm getting more and more tired with the badly designed or coded mechanics in this game and ZOS overall unwillingness to a. try and explain them (unless you're a member of an elite guild they join on TS). b. make the game work in a way which people can understand without hours of invested research.

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Anu_Saukko_Tutkija
    Anu_Saukko_Tutkija
    ✭✭✭
    i actually feel bit amazed that this is for real, @IcyDeadPeople could you provide some proof to here, so devs notice this i think they aren't aware at the moment.

Edit:
    Or make new topic about it with proof so they see what is this all about.
    Edited by Anu_Saukko_Tutkija on August 29, 2014 9:33AM
    (。 ◕‿‿ ◕).
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i actually feel bit amazed that this is for real, @IcyDeadPeople could you provide some proof to here, so devs notice this i think they aren't aware at the moment.

Edit:
    Or make new topic about it with proof so they see what is this all about.

I made a topic about this previously, also filed /bug report in-game.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/127654/shock-resist-enchant-not-working

Will try to record a video over the weekend and test a few other kinds of elemental resist glyphs.
    Edited by IcyDeadPeople on August 29, 2014 10:55AM
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for reporting that Icy. I have a shock glyph on my ring placed there specifically for sorcs so this is really important to know. Guess I'll go with a damage ring.
    Edited by Armitas on August 29, 2014 3:27PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Cuddler
    Cuddler
    ✭✭✭
    Another test result: target's spell resistance and attacker's spell penetration have no impact on the damage from Lethal Arrow and the initial hit of Venom Arrow. They are both mitigated by the target's sum of armour rating and poison resistance. Someone said spell penetration e.g. from Concentration increases Lethal Arrow damage, my test showed that to be incorrect. It seems all bow attacks are considered physical regardless of damage type.

I suspect the same is true for some DK melee-like abilities that deal fire damage, i.e. they are mitigated by armour+fire resistance.
    Edited by Cuddler on August 29, 2014 6:18PM
  • Anu_Saukko_Tutkija
    Anu_Saukko_Tutkija
    ✭✭✭
    @IcyDeadPeople thank you. also noted to zos folks, to take a look here. so that video would be helpful i think.
    (。 ◕‿‿ ◕).
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So does this make Marked Target worth using if you're in medium armour?
    it is a good ability... if the enemy you marked does not block your attacks.
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    So does this make Marked Target worth using if you're in medium armour?

Mark target is a good skill to hit someone with at 25% before you hit them with any execute spam. The heal you get back is very nice and if you pair it with the heal from killers blade you can get up to a 2700 heal.

I guess since resist don't really matter to much you can place it on a player before the 25% execute phase and still be fine.
    Edited by Xnemesis on August 29, 2014 9:01PM
  • Pixysticks
    Pixysticks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is because Lethal Arrow does poison damage. Poison, bleed, and physical damage all get mitigated by your armor, not spell resist.
    Alacrity

Retired 05/04/15.
  • Bulldog1205
    I know this thread is weeks old, but I wanted to bump it with the new patch. With the new spell resist trait as well as the nerf to LA spell penetration, where do things stand now? Seems like maybe spell resistance is not completely pointless, but still not worth attaining. Anyone have numbers?
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering too. I think the calculation is still all messed up but we do get a small amount of spell resistance now, more if we use the spell resist trait but it still might not be enough. The trait may not be worth using at all.

And we still never got an official response. This is a very important mechanic, almost as important as the AOE cap. It directly affects how we build our characters and in some cases what race we choose.