The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spell Resistance is Pointless in PVP?

• Galrukh
    Galrukh
    ✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    Here is another question.

Lets say I have enough spell resist and elemental resist to equate to 70% fire resit if the cap was not 50%. My attacker has 50% spell penetration. Is my fire resist 20% or is it 0%?

It is 0.
    Being overcapped does you no good whatsoever.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad I asked instead of buying another glyph. Thanks. (edit please read on as things changed)
    Edited by Armitas on August 13, 2014 4:32PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Galrukh wrote: »

Lets say I have enough spell resist and elemental resist to equate to 70% fire resit if the cap was not 50%. My attacker has 50% spell penetration. Is my fire resist 20% or is it 0%?

It is 0.

He said if the cap was not 50% though
    Edited by reagen_lionel on August 7, 2014 7:02PM
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very reliable source explained to me the logical process of how spell pen is not working as intended and currently is completely overriding all spell resist. I have not tested I prefer not doing math and finding trustworthy friends, so I'm not 100% sure.
  • Galrukh
    Galrukh
    ✭✭✭
    Galrukh wrote: »

It is 0.

He said if the cap was not 50% though

So he did, my bad.
    Well its hard to guess what things would be like if they werent the way they are now :)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler any information on if this in an intended mechanic?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

This because if this is intended the eso devs and I have to have a discussion on how math works, especially percentages of things.
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huntler wrote: »

This because if this is intended the eso devs and I have to have a discussion on how math works, especially percentages of things.

"What is math?"

If it is intended then Breton racial should be relooked. It's a little more than useless. Maybe gain magicka when taking damage from attacks that utilize spell damage.
    Edited by Lionxoft on August 13, 2014 6:11PM
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lionxoft wrote: »

"What is math?"

Some people believe numbers actually exist just as this game actually exists. What ever it is it is something mysterious that describes both life such as the golden mean, and matter such as the constants. It's a glimpse of something prior or simultaneous to the big bang.
    Edited by Armitas on August 13, 2014 6:23PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

"What is math?"

If it is intended then Breton racial should be relooked. It's a little more than useless. Maybe gain magicka when taking damage from attacks that utilize spell damage.
    agreed. right now, me picking a Breton was a complete waste of time, for the purpose I picked her for.
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"What is math?"

Some people believe numbers actually exist just as this game actually exists. What ever it is it is something mysterious that describes both life such as the golden mean, and matter such as the constants. It's a glimpse of something prior or simultaneous to the big bang.

You're lying.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

"What is math?"

You're lying.

If I am lying now then the following is true. "This sentence is false".
    Edited by Armitas on August 13, 2014 6:53PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"What is math?"

Basically a percentage penetration against a percentage defense (spell resists) should NOT be additive, it doesn't make sense, it should be multiplicative. Given that it is additive right now (subtractive even though thats not a word) means that spell resists have 0 point in PvP.
  • Aoe_Barbecue
    Aoe_Barbecue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"What is math?"

Filthy Platonists! If "one" exists, then qualia are no longer epistemically private. This is why I'm a Thomist ;).
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"What is math?"

Basically a percentage penetration against a percentage defense (spell resists) should NOT be additive, it doesn't make sense, it should be multiplicative. Given that it is additive right now (subtractive even though thats not a word) means that spell resists have 0 point in PvP.

Uhhh you're telling the wrong guy (Me). Reach out to the leads.

I just kill things.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

"What is math?"

Filthy Platonists! If "one" exists, then qualia are no longer epistemically private. This is why I'm a Thomist ;).

Nah I'm a light platonist. I think light platonism is useful for communication in that when we say things we refer to something, but not an actual existing something. Heavy leads to all sorts of absurdities like Shakespeare plagiarizing hamlet from the netherrealm.
    Edited by Armitas on August 13, 2014 8:36PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Aoe_Barbecue
    Aoe_Barbecue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abstract entities having real ontological value is a troubling proposition for me though. It would imply that qualia have real existence apart from experience and this is a fundamental breakdown in causality imo. (The material cause of qualia being sense organs detecting reality.) I think language actually referring to propositional truth doesn't become incoherent in a non-platonist world because qualia are referent to experience, and experience assumes objectivity.
    Edited by Aoe_Barbecue on August 13, 2014 7:30PM
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For light it won't have a real, and consequently messy, ontology to explain. Things like quarters are just referential objects to abstract terms. So I can refer to "quarters" in a true sentence when I say "four quarters makes a dollar". But it doesn't require me to explain how quarters came to exist at or before the bang. I just need to acquaint a person with the abstract term and the abstract object. Or in the perspective of qualia I need to associate the abstract term of "quarter" with the qualia experience of a quarter and then a person can successfully and truthfully communicate when they say "four quarters makes a dollar". But that is as far as it goes, there is no realism expected in it, it's just a way of using a term to refer to a qualia.

Basically we use it so that we can say "four quarters makes a dollar" and still refer to something true though not necessarily something extant.

Edited by Armitas on August 13, 2014 9:27PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread has derailed immensely since the last I posted in here.. o_O
    Edited by reagen_lionel on August 14, 2014 10:19AM
  • pitdemon_ESO
    pitdemon_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see Spell Penetration as a whole be removed from the LA tree and get put on armor as a trait. It would be funny to see people having to choose between that and crit reduction in PvP.
    The Grixxitt of Melek - Alfar Nightblade
    Grixx of the Reach - Crafter/Reachwitch/Sorceror

Must...downvote...stupidity... (clicks sidebar furiously)
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaxom wrote: »
    So does this make Marked Target worth using if you're in medium armour?

Based on these results, it seems that Mark Target would negate all resistances for both Spell and Armor since it's 75%. With the 300 Pen we get just from being in Cyrodiil, it would act similarly, I think.

Marked target *ignores armor/spell defense, not negate. if you mark a target who has 1k armor you will ignore 750 armor. If you additionally penetrated his resistances with a skill/passive/attribute it would calculate from 1k armor.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭

Based on these results, it seems that Mark Target would negate all resistances for both Spell and Armor since it's 75%. With the 300 Pen we get just from being in Cyrodiil, it would act similarly, I think.

Marked target *ignores armor/spell defense, not negate. if you mark a target who has 1k armor you will ignore 750 armor. If you additionally penetrated his resistances with a skill/passive/attribute it would calculate from 1k armor.

So on this reasoning, using 1k to keep things easy, ignore 750 Armor from Mark Target, and penetrate an additional 300 but since there is only 250 armor left, you are effectively negating their armor?
    Edited by Jaxom on August 14, 2014 4:59PM
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭

So on this reasoning, using 1k to keep things easy, ignore 750 Armor from Mark Target, and penetrate an additional 300 but since there is only 250 armor left, you are effectively negating their armor?

No they are saying Mark Target ignores 750 armor. Any additional penetration will work as if they still have 1k armor from any other skills besides mark target is what he's saying that I gathered from what he wrote.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So still no official answer on what's going on here.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GinaBruno‌

If any of you could at least pop in and acknowledge if this is working as intended or a bug that would be nice. As of right now it's really looking pointless to have a Spell Resistance attribute in PVP.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Heethcliff
    I'm hearing and reading the same kind of things on this end. Lots of players concerned about this MASSIVE additive spell penetration bug. Playing a Nord DK with 3100+ health and soft cap just above 2k on both resistances and I'm getting blown away by a single spell pen "mage" in seconds.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if you guys noticed the PTS patch notes but Zenimax is listening.

Light armor just lost 14% of its spell pen. (2% per piece).

There is definitely a difference using sharpened on a staff versus not using.

Now all magic damage by nature of the spell pen nerf is going to be nerfed. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not / =
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Galrukh
    Galrukh
    ✭✭✭
    It is a fantastic thing, it is almost certainly not enough to bring it down to where it should be but everything helps. Unfortunately LA wearers can still get pretty close to ignoring all spell penetration by using sharpened on their staff but at least now overcapping on spell penetration will have some kind of impact.
  • Teiji
    Teiji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello people!

So, what are the percentages for spell resist, armor?

1000 armor = 10% less physical damage?
    1000 spell resistance = 10% less magical damage taken?
    "Serving Boethiah is Freedom, embracing heroism is Liberty, existing solely for noxiphilic sanguivoria is truth." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

European megaserver Fallout 4

Loyalist of Boethiah, heroism enthusiast, exposer of secrets, bless'ed of noxiphilic sanguivoria.

Nerf one grind, two more take its place; hail Gryndra!

I am a dank memer and satire enthusiast
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Cyrodiil

2149 SR = 33.6%
    1934 AR = 30.1%

3039 SR = 48.2%
    3003 SR = 47.6%

You can check values with this add-on MitigationValue.

• IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay so I want to ask. Spell penetration pretty much negates spell resistance.

But specific elemental resistances like fire and ice resist arent affected by spell penetration right?

I don't know but its not impossible that it could. Elemental resistance shares the same cap as spell resistance. For example the cap on spell resistance is 50%. If you had 25% spell mitigation and 25% fire mitigation you would not receive any more fire mitigation by adding more fire resist. Elemental resist seems to add up just like spell resistance and fit inside the spell resist mechanic. Could someone test this on a PvP friend?

I've tested fire resist and shock resist a bit.

Fire resist reduces damage from all class abilities that use fire, such as flame lash, cinder storm, searing strikes, etc. This works the same even when target's spell resist is overcharged close to 3k.

Shock resist jewelry with legendary VR12 glyph does not affect damage at all from many class abilities that use shock damage, such as mages fury, lightning form, streak.

Shock resist only reduces damage from a couple of shock abilities: lightning flood, twilight matriarch and unstable familiar.
    Edited by IcyDeadPeople on August 29, 2014 2:42AM