The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Spell Resistance is Pointless in PVP?

• Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭
    So does this make Marked Target worth using if you're in medium armour?

Based on these results, it seems that Mark Target would negate all resistances for both Spell and Armor since it's 75%. With the 300 Pen we get just from being in Cyrodiil, it would act similarly, I think.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    Has anyone tested player mitigations (pvp set) and nord damage reduction? I'm curious if those can be penetrated.
    According to the 1.3.2 patch notes Nord Damage reduction is currently making players take more damage rather than negating it. Not sure if this was a bug created in 1.3 or one currently live however.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Has anyone tested player mitigations (pvp set) and nord damage reduction? I'm curious if those can be penetrated.
    According to the 1.3.2 patch notes Nord Damage reduction is currently making players take more damage rather than negating it. Not sure if this was a bug created in 1.3 or one currently live however.

-_- seriously.... argggg.

Edited by Armitas on August 1, 2014 3:31PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting breakdown of some more numbers here
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Chubbaz
    Chubbaz
    ✭✭✭
    @xsorusb14_ESO Doesn't matter how much spell resist you have, have fun getting Bat Swarm'd and Crystal'd to death.
  • Morticielle
    Morticielle
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Maybe @ZOS_BrianWheeler would also be able to comment on if this is working as intended or something you want to address for PVP within ESO.
    Everything in TESO is working as intended! How dare you, you heretic!
    Lady Morticielle d'Aragòn |VR12| Sorcerer | PvP Rank 21 (Major Grade I) | EU-Megaserver | AD

Subscription cancelled due to the following facts:

- Zenimax implements more bugs from patch to patch
    - Zenimax does not care about the increasing instability of the game. People have more and more crashes Fix of memory bug decreased number of crashes considerably
    - Zenimax has still not fully fixed the fps drops they (!) implemented with patch1.2.3
    - Zenimax does nothing to fix the massive ability lags in PvP
    - Zenimax gives more attention to unnecassary 'content' like dyes for armors than fixing issues
    - In patchnotes Zenimax lies about bugs allegedly fixed
    - Zenimax has no plan as to how balance population in Cyrodiil campaigns
    - Support is ineffective and does not even speak in a way one can linguistically understand

• Nheris76
    Nheris76
    Soul Shriven
    So it works the same way as the Impenetrable trait?
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chubbaz wrote: »
    @xsorusb14_ESO Doesn't matter how much spell resist you have, have fun getting Bat Swarm'd and Crystal'd to death.

Sounds like a personal problem on your front.

not really a problem for me.

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chubbaz wrote: »

Sounds like a personal problem on your front.

not really a problem for me.

I would ask that you try not to move this thread towards arguments about peoples skill or ability at PVP and remain on the topic of Spell Resistance and if it's currently working as intended.

I would if you comment is a basis of you're able to counter these abilities via Spell Resistance or using negation/mitigation skills.
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark target and 40% skill armor debuffs work differently. They remove only an actual percentage of your armor value (calculated multiplicatively)
    Edited by glavius on August 1, 2014 9:08PM
  • Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭
    glavius wrote: »
    Mark target and 40% skill armor debuffs work differently. They remove only an actual percentage of your armor value (calculated multiplicatively)

True, but when you combine Mark Target with the Armor Penetration you natively gain just by being in Cyrodiil (300 to be exact), it effectivaly does the same thing no? You are reducing their armor to much less than 300 so with 300 penetration, you are effectively, negating any armor they use.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If we all have no spell resistance would it even matter if we were a vampire or not when taking fire damage? Other than being ugly is there any reason I shouldn't go Vampire if i'm going to have the same resist either way?
    Edited by Armitas on August 2, 2014 6:20PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Galrukh
    Galrukh
    ✭✭✭
    If we all have no spell resistance would it even matter if we were a vampire or not when taking fire damage? Other than being ugly is there any reason I shouldn't go Vampire if i'm going to have the same resist either way?

There is a difference between spell resistance and fire resistance. Even if there wasnt, remember that Vampire increases fire damage by 50%, it doesnt lower your resistance or anything like that, it simply increases the damage.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay so I want to ask. Spell penetration pretty much negates spell resistance.

But specific elemental resistances like fire and ice resist arent affected by spell penetration right?
  • Galrukh
    Galrukh
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know that is true yes.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alright thanks.
    If that is true. That is real good by me then.

Spell resistance as a whole, dont know what to say about that being so.. easy to get so high with just a full set of cloth.
  • Volla
    Volla
    ✭✭✭
    its good that you can resist more than 43 to 50 of what ever it was.
    imagine if you could....

i don't get the whining of this thread. i really like it as it is.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volla wrote: »
    imagine if you could....

The whining is that Spell Resistance doesn't do anything vs light armour users unless you reach hard-cap at which point you only have 7% damage reduction.
    I provided some numbers earlier in the thread as to the level of effort involved to reaching hard-cap. It means that in PVP spell abilities have 100% damage vs most targets even if they work their butts off to buff their defences, in effect making attempting to build tank via Spell Resistance (and some extent armour) meaningless.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    imagine if you could....

people are "whining"(love how this is used every time people state their opinions/facts) because one of the most important stats in the game is pretty much useless. I spell resis is overcharged, yet according to the numbers I have seen.... ti blocks almost nothing.
  • Galrukh
    Galrukh
    ✭✭✭
    imagine if you could....

Ýou really like how no one can resist spell damage at all ? (if fighting someone with 7/7 light armor which is the vast majority of players).
    I really hope you are misunderstanding this entire thread.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So I took Suppression Field for nothing.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I took Suppression Field for nothing.
    I picked a breton for nothing:( AND held on to a low level ring that granted 250 spell resis... for nothing.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You know it doesn't seem like it should work the way it does. Ignoring a certain percentage of target's spell resistance should make it impossible to reduce it to 0 unless you had 100% spell pen. It's not a flat rate it ignores, it's a percentage, according to the Concentration description:
    Player's spells ignore x% of enemy Spell Resistance per piece of Light Armor equipped

If you have 42% pen then you're ignoring 42% of their total spell resistance. How can that ever reach 0? If their spell resistance is 1000 they effectively have 580 vs your spells.

That's how I thought it worked anyway. It's the simple and logical way for it to work. Seems to me spell pen is affecting the mitigation % which is what's making it so OP.
    glavius wrote: »
    While this seems like a broken mechanic, I actually prefere it to the alternative where resists would actually matter. Light armor users (arguably already top of the food chain in pvp) would gain an even bigger advantage by having high spell resists compared to medium and heavy armor users.

which is why I proposed that the three armor types be changed so that light armor offers virtually no protection. Remove LA's Annulment and Spell Warding and significantly reduce it's AF, and give heavy armor the extra protection, and more than 1% per skill point. Light armor should be a glass cannon armor type - you can dish out spell damage but can't take any damage, neither from spells nor weapons or stamina skills.
    Edited by Holycannoli on August 4, 2014 1:50AM
  • Galrukh
    Galrukh
    ✭✭✭
    It should work like you mention Holycannoli, that is pretty obvious from other instances of % effects in this game and every other MMO.
    Why it doesnt, boggles the mind, I hope it is just a tiny math failure on ZOS behalf that is easily fixed because if this is on purpose, my goodness they know nothing of game balance.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Galrukh wrote: »
    It should work like you mention Holycannoli, that is pretty obvious from other instances of % effects in this game and every other MMO.
    Why it doesnt, boggles the mind, I hope it is just a tiny math failure on ZOS behalf that is easily fixed because if this is on purpose, my goodness they know nothing of game balance.
    I don't understand what ZOS was thinking. I hope, like you do, that it was a mathematical error. I thought it ignored 42%of your individual spell resistance.. not that it ignored a % of the max spell resis you could obtain..... when I think back to the first month, when all those people power grinded to VR10.... me, being in my 20s with my 850 spell resis....... and most of them being mages....... wow. explains why they were killing me in 3 hits!!!!:0 this needs to be fixed ASAP. not in a year. ASAP. tomorrow would be nice! 42% is too much anyway!
    Edited by Cody on August 4, 2014 2:08AM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only experienced mark target on myself as a way to kill the NB faster. (im sorc)

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

But specific elemental resistances like fire and ice resist arent affected by spell penetration right?

I don't know but its not impossible that it could. Elemental resistance shares the same cap as spell resistance. For example the cap on spell resistance is 50%. If you had 25% spell mitigation and 25% fire mitigation you would not receive any more fire mitigation by adding more fire resist. Elemental resist seems to add up just like spell resistance and fit inside the spell resist mechanic. Could someone test this on a PvP friend?
    Edited by Armitas on August 4, 2014 12:39PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't know but its not impossible that it could. Elemental resistance shares the same cap as spell resistance. For example the cap on spell resistance is 50%. If you had 25% spell mitigation and 25% fire mitigation you would not receive any more fire mitigation by adding more fire resist. Elemental resist seems to add up just like spell resistance and fit inside the spell resist mechanic. Could someone test this on a PvP friend?

Yeah I'd like to see that as well. If anything, I think it may work like it did in skyrim, where elemental resist and spell resist were thier own resist trees. If you some how got 50% spell resist, and 50% elemental resist to a specific element. You could negate the damage by ex: 1000 ice damage which is halfed to 500 by spell resist and that is halved by 50% ice resist only taking 250 damage from the spell.

Thats how I hope it works anyway.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here is another question.

Lets say I have enough spell resist and elemental resist to equate to 70% fire resit if the cap was not 50%. My attacker has 50% spell penetration. Is my fire resist 20% or is it 0%?
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • ThyIronFist
    ThyIronFist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a DK using Ferocious Leap and Coagulating Dragon Blood you get a sh't ton of SR, still get hit by spells, impulse and soul assault doing quite a lot of damage.

And by quite a lot, I actually mean too much.
    The Elder Zergs Online
    Sainur Ironfist - DK - EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Retired