The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game freezes on login after patch

shadyjane62
shadyjane62
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Twice now tried to log in and game freezes. Worm stops turning 10 seconds in.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on 12 March 2024 16:18
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Third time the charm, in now.
  • Eisengreifer
    No charm for me :(

Same problem, game freezes between Login and Character selection screen.

Tried half a dozen times now, quitting everything, even restarting the PC.
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be due to an addon, try to run without addons.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have now completely reinstalled the game, removed my addons, and still get stuck before the character select screen.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • Thea
    Thea
    Soul Shriven
    I'm also stuck. Ran a repair, restarted my system twice, no luck. I'll try to get it started without add-ons - although I'll have to figure out how to do that before being able to access the character screen (and without getting rid of my add-on folder! Any tips would be appreciated! :smiley: )
  • sPark101
    sPark101
    ✭✭✭
    I get in but am greeted with dozens of errors and yes I have run updates on minion several times.
  • Taryn57
    Taryn57
    ✭✭
    Tried averything as above, but still cannot grt to character acreen.
  • old_scopie1945
    old_scopie1945
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here. I log in but stuck at loading screen. I have also pulled the addon folder but still no joy. EU serv.
  • jimninetoes
    jimninetoes
    Soul Shriven
    mine crashes right as Bethasda Logo comes up.

removed addons

crashes AFTER bethasda logo comes up
    PC/NA
    Ryzen 5950x
    NVIDIA 3080Ti
    Windows 11
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    For those running into issues, what errors are you getting?

And some of you have mentioned uninstalling add-ons. Just want to echo that point for efficiency.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tried without add-ons, then complete uninstall/re-install and repair

still freeze before character screen

same thing happens when i tried the PTS
  • Thea
    Thea
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

And some of you have mentioned uninstalling add-ons. Just want to echo that point for efficiency.

I've removed my add-ons, restarted and tried again. There is no error code or message - the ouroboros just stops spinning and it freezes at the loading screen before character selection.

• jimninetoes
    jimninetoes
    Soul Shriven

no error message. just crashes
    PC/NA
    Ryzen 5950x
    NVIDIA 3080Ti
    Windows 11
  • Taryn57
    Taryn57
    ✭✭

I am not getting any errors, the game just freezes between the loading screen and the character screen. The last time I tried I could seee the ghost of my character screen behind the loading screen and could hear background noises but could not interact with the anything on screen.
  • Eisengreifer
    There was a similar issue about a year ago.

For many players back then the solution was to update their graphic card drivers.

I just did that - and it worked!
    Edited by Eisengreifer on 13 March 2023 14:43
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just updated add ons and tried to get back in. Stuck again.
  • Cayr
    Cayr
    ✭✭✭

No error message, just the ouroboros between login and character select freezes at the loading screen.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I am by no means attempting to devalue anyone's experience with this, but just be aware it isn't a global issue affecting everybody.

I got in, no problem (other than having to dismiss several error messages from addons that still need to be updated), and I played fine for about 30 minutes until I voluntarily logged out.
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • ZOS_Kevin
      ZOS_Kevin
      Community Manager
      Grizzbeorn wrote: »

I am by no means attempting to devalue anyone's experience with this, but just be aware it isn't a global issue affecting everybody.

I got in, no problem (other than having to dismiss several error messages from addons that still need to be updated), and I played fine for about 30 minutes until I voluntarily logged out.

Appreciate the flag there. We've noted that only some players are experiencing this (not global) and trying to find a solution for those who are.
      Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
      Staff Post
    • Eisengreifer

Appreciate the flag there. We've noted that only some players are experiencing this (not global) and trying to find a solution for those who are.

May I reiterate: updating the graphic drivers was a solution in the past, and has been the solution to this problem for me today.

Addons had absolutely nothing to do with it - I didn't even touch my addons.
    • gref
      gref
      ✭✭
      having same problem with my wifes game mine is working ok
      Edited by gref on 13 March 2023 15:00
    • jimninetoes
      jimninetoes
      Soul Shriven

For many players back then the solution was to update their graphic card drivers.

just tested this and it doesnt work.

May I reiterate: updating the graphic drivers was a solution in the past, and has been the solution to this problem for me today.

Addons had absolutely nothing to do with it - I didn't even touch my addons.

yes i have tested with and without addons.

also did a "game repair" and verified the files to no avail

Just putting this info here so devs can keep track a little
      PC/NA
      Ryzen 5950x
      NVIDIA 3080Ti
      Windows 11
    • Taryn57
      Taryn57
      ✭✭

Same here.
    • StShoot
      StShoot
      ✭✭✭✭
      Same problem, i tried to delete the addon folder and it still freezes.
    • ZOS_Kevin
      ZOS_Kevin
      Community Manager
      Hi all. So while we are investigating, we are advising the following:
      1. Please update your drivers to the latest version.
      2. Reinstall ESO if you are still running into issues after the driver update.
      3. If you are still running into issues, please let us know.
      Thanks for your patience and assisting in this issue.
      Edited by ZOS_Kevin on 13 March 2023 14:58
      Staff Post
    • wilykcat
      wilykcat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I had trouble logging into elderscrolls game and it crashed. I went into task manager to close it out. Then I opened up elderscrolls by "running it as administrator", logged in, and that worked.
    • old_scopie1945
      old_scopie1945
      ✭✭✭✭
      May be of interest. I tried when I was stuck on loading screen, to leave the game instead of ctrl, alt del but use the eso icon on the task bar. It took me out of the game but the background music was still running. I then restarted and got into the game right away. I did the same again and it worked. Only problem was the original background music was blaring away quite independently, with no effect from the audio controls. May be of help Kevin.
      Edited by old_scopie1945 on 13 March 2023 15:09
    • Andrathil
      Andrathil
      Soul Shriven

Hi Kevin - uninstalled with the hopes of reinstalling as recommended, and now Steam cannot contact your download servers... all other internet functions are working perfectly, it's not on my end.

Wondering if there is a process during the load screen that is trying to contact a ZOS/Bethesda server, and it's timing out?
      PC/NA Server

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - George Bernard Shaw
    • LarsS
      LarsS
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      You can try to remove the ESO folder inside the document folder. The files in the eso folder may get corrupted and as I remeber it they are not removed if the game is removed and reistalled.
      GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
    • Grizzbeorn
      Grizzbeorn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Andrathil wrote: »

Hi Kevin - uninstalled with the hopes of reinstalling as recommended, and now Steam cannot contact your download servers... all other internet functions are working perfectly, it's not on my end.

Wondering if there is a process during the load screen that is trying to contact a ZOS/Bethesda server, and it's timing out?

Did you shut-down Steam and restart it before trying again?
      Edited by Grizzbeorn on 13 March 2023 15:12
        PC/NA Warden Main
      This discussion has been closed.