The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Game freezes on login after patch

• Insomnist
    Insomnist
    ✭✭
    Andrathil wrote: »
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi all. So while we are investigating, we are advising the following:
    1. Please update your drivers to the latest version.
    2. Reinstall ESO if you are still running into issues after the driver update.
    3. If you are still running into issues, please let us know.
    Thanks for your patience and assisting in this issue.

Hi Kevin - uninstalled with the hopes of reinstalling as recommended, and now Steam cannot contact your download servers... all other internet functions are working perfectly, it's not on my end.

Wondering if there is a process during the load screen that is trying to contact a ZOS/Bethesda server, and it's timing out?
    Other Steam games are also being effected, so we're not alone un/fortunately.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/11q9umt/is_it_just_me_or_anyone_else_also_unable_to_start/
    https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/7/3791506981620893481/

The good ol' double whammy.
  • Marcusorion1
    Marcusorion1
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC NA Win10 - stuck between log in and character select screen several times, - would get a splash screen for a few minutes that would then turn black and not progress. Using " ctrl-alt-del " for task manager failed to display the task manager info , the black screen stayed "over top" .

Restarted the PC and it happened again, on the 3rd try everything worked fine with no changes made to neither graphics nor add on changes. The only change was closing the launcher after character select page was displayed ( which may be pure coincidence )

Have logged in, swapped toons and entered game again, no issues.
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Updating video drivers was the solution for my situation.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • old_scopie1945
    old_scopie1945
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, if you go to desktop while the login screen is running, then re enter eso you have a black screen with background music running.
  • Andrathil
    Andrathil
    Soul Shriven
    Grizzbeorn wrote: »

Did you shut-down Steam and restart it before trying again?

I did - restarted the PC, even rebooted the router just in case... no effect

PC/NA Server

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - George Bernard Shaw
  • old_scopie1945
    old_scopie1945
    ✭✭✭✭
    wilykcat wrote: »
    I had trouble logging into elderscrolls game and it crashed. I went into task manager to close it out. Then I opened up elderscrolls by "running it as administrator", logged in, and that worked.

Yes, tried this after reading your post. The login screen was active for about 30 secs, but then froze. Might be a timing issue. BTW I don't login via Steam, in fact steam is always off.
    Edited by old_scopie1945 on 13 March 2023 15:25
  • Andrathil
    Andrathil
    Soul Shriven
    Wondering if there is a process during the load screen that is trying to contact a ZOS/Bethesda server, and it's timing out?

@ZOS_Kevin - just saw this post on the Bethesda twitter feed:

y1vg0pc2bbyl.png

Seems to be further indication that the issue is related to the game client trying to ping a server/resource that is non-responsive... if that helps diagnostically at all.

PC/NA Server

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - George Bernard Shaw
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it was rocky launching the game.

After the 1st crash I disabled all add-ons and got two more crashes. Restarted the computer and eventually got in.

For the sake of interest I enabled add-ons and saw that Arkadius' Trade Tools was causing errors. After disabling just that add-on I was able do do my crafting on a few characters. Logging out of the last character crashed the game again.

I'm on a 15" MacBook Pro with Ventura, fully updated.
  • sPark101
    sPark101
    ✭✭✭
    All my UI Errors (46 to click thru) have "ResizeToFitDescendents..." at the beginning.
    Although Minion updated everything the game says all my addons are out of date.
    Logging in and playing (after 46 accept error clicks) is fine.

• Darkrock
    Darkrock
    ✭✭
    I finally did what #28 said, and I got in without any problems. Before that, the Ouroboros just stopped rotating at some point, then stuck there forever.
  • Thea
    Thea
    Soul Shriven
    I had to both update my graphics card and do a full reinstall, but the issue is resolved and I am in game.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a patch manifest error when starting the update, running a repair as that was the only option.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thea wrote: »
    I had to both update my graphics card and do a full reinstall, but the issue is resolved and I am in game.

Thanks for the update. Appreciate it!
    Darkrock wrote: »
    I finally did what #28 said, and I got in without any problems. Before that, the Ouroboros just stopped rotating at some point, then stuck there forever.

Thanks for the follow up. We'll pass this on to the team for investigation as well.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also got right away into the character selection screen irrespective of the addons.

It took a while though. Longer than usual.

Obviously I get a lot of UI error message upon entering an instance.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Also, wanted to note that our team has suggested for those trying to run a repair. Please make sure to use the patcher repair tool, instead of steam (if you are using steam). That is the better tool to use.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin - just saw this post on the Bethesda twitter feed:

y1vg0pc2bbyl.png

One note on this...

Sitting on that first loading screen, between log-in and Character Select, right after a patch (which is longer than normal because of the database being repopulated with your account info), for a sustained amount of time without doing anything will eventually result in a disconnect due to inactivity, if the loading screen persists long enough; 30 minutes definitely qualifies for that condition.
    (which I have experienced multiple times [at about the 13-15 minute mark] before I found a solution.)

I have found that the way to prevent this is to click on the screen once every minute or so, while sitting there on the loading screen (I imagine moving your mouse around a bit might work, as well, but clicking definitely does) until it loads you into the Character screen.
    I'm guessing that the program interprets the click as activity. I haven't had a disconnect on that loading screen since.

Edited by Grizzbeorn on 13 March 2023 16:29
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • AnduinTryggva
      AnduinTryggva
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Mh logged into another char. Got the series of UI error message and could not click away the last one by pressing E. Could not activate mouse cursor. I will now deactivate some UI addons...
    • Darkrock
      Darkrock
      ✭✭
      I have lots of characters to run through their writs, and I had to remove 55 error messages on each login. Turns out the only addon I had to remove was the Advanced UI. That also removed my mini map, but I don't need that for running writs.
    • Tyralbin
      Tyralbin
      ✭✭✭✭
      For those trying to delete addon folder that will not work.

You will still need an empty addon folder because the game will try to detect this to look for addons.

Best solution would be to move your active addon folder into a different drive or outside of the ESO folders. You then need to create a new empty Addons folder and add it back.
      Live a little love a lot send all your gold to this Imperials pot.
    • LarsS
      LarsS
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Tyralbin wrote: »
      For those trying to delete addon folder that will not work.

You will still need an empty addon folder because the game will try to detect this to look for addons.

Best solution would be to move your active addon folder into a different drive or outside of the ESO folders. You then need to create a new empty Addons folder and add it back.

I dont think that is needed, the game should recreate the addon folder like anything else the ESO document folder, on start up.
      GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
    • Crismac
      Crismac
      ✭✭✭
      Mine locked up for about 25 sec's when logging in after the update. I just left it alone and it eventually loaded for me.
    • goatlyonesub17_ESO
      goatlyonesub17_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭
      Same here. Game froze on a full-screen pic of a Khajiit archer with blue eyes. It just stays there. Can't get to the character select screen.
      "Argonians have fat, scaly tails." —Rissa Manyclaws.
      "Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
      "I smell to the nobility." —Indrasa Avani.
      "A bargain with an animal is not a contract made." —Haderus Atrimus.
      "Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
      "Your armor looks like underwear." —Shuns-the-Knife.
    • Athanas35
      Athanas35
      ✭✭
      Game unplayable, freezes like everyone else.
      Roll back before patch or fix game.
    • goatlyonesub17_ESO
      goatlyonesub17_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭
      Fifth try. Still can't get in.
      "Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
      "Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
    • Zerodeeps
      Zerodeeps
      ✭✭
      Can't get in either. Drivers up to date. Tried repairing, uninstalling addons and reshade. Freezes at Bethesda screen then quits.
    • old_scopie1945
      old_scopie1945
      ✭✭✭✭
      FYI what I did in #28 still works. It is a work through till there is a fix. That's if you can stand the music blaring down you lug hole with nothing you can do about it. LOL Just found the music fades away after a short time.
      Edited by old_scopie1945 on 13 March 2023 17:29
    • goatlyonesub17_ESO
      goatlyonesub17_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭
      Seventh try. I got in. Don't know why it worked this time.
    • jimninetoes
      jimninetoes
      Soul Shriven
      reinstalled the whole game including the launcher, GPU driver, rebooted

and then it works
      PC/NA
      Ryzen 5950x
      NVIDIA 3080Ti
      Windows 11
    • Zerodeeps
      Zerodeeps
      ✭✭
      #28's not working for me. Kudos to those for whom it is. What's it like in there?
    • old_scopie1945
      old_scopie1945
      ✭✭✭✭
      Zerodeeps wrote: »
      #28's not working for me. Kudos to those for whom it is. What's it like in there?

Sorry to hear that. The fault may be even deeper then.
    This discussion has been closed.