Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game freezes on login after patch

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an older PC still running Windows 7 so feared I might encounter problems this update, but so far, so good. I don’t use Steam but run ESO directly. The first time I went to run it after letting the patch install, it crashed (sent the report), but then when I reopened the launcher and hit Play, it loaded fine, all the way into the game. Before attempting to run ESO post-patch, I did update all add-ons I use for which there were updates available, and I don’t use any major UI altering add-ons.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Gnesnig
    Gnesnig
    ✭✭✭
    Andrathil wrote: »
    Andrathil wrote: »
    Wondering if there is a process during the load screen that is trying to contact a ZOS/Bethesda server, and it's timing out?

@ZOS_Kevin - just saw this post on the Bethesda twitter feed:

y1vg0pc2bbyl.png

Seems to be further indication that the issue is related to the game client trying to ping a server/resource that is non-responsive... if that helps diagnostically at all.

The problem with this scenario is that "doing something and retrying" fixes it and it doesn't matter what "something" is.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zerodeeps wrote: »
    #28's not working for me. Kudos to those for whom it is. What's it like in there?

There are chocolate chip cookies and pepperoni pizza
    Soupy twist
  • logan68
    logan68
    ✭✭✭
    yes cant get in when is the fix due
  • Cayr
    Cayr
    ✭✭✭
    All my drivers were up to date, but uninstalled-reinstalled them for good measure. Didn't fix the issue. Uninstalled and reinstalled the game - also did not fix the issue. Repairing also didn't work. Loading still freezes between Login and character select. It definitely seems like it's a server-side problem.
    Edited by Cayr on 13 March 2023 18:54
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    For players still having this issue. Have you updated your graphics driver and reinstalled? Trying to get an understanding of where everyone is to pass feedback to the team investigating.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Cayr
    Cayr
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    For players still having this issue. Have you updated your graphics driver and reinstalled? Trying to get an understanding of where everyone is to pass feedback to the team investigating.

Yes and yes. Drivers were not out of date for me, but uninstalling and reinstalling them + reinstalling the game did not fix the issue, still the same as before.

EDITED: same as someone below, I left it on the frozen screen for about 40 minutes, eventually got a "lost connection to server" error, and then was able to get to character screen and log in, so it appears to work now. I have not closed the game though, so no idea if this is actually fixed or a repeating issue on every login.
    Edited by Cayr on 13 March 2023 19:05
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I checked and my drivers were up to date. I even loaded the game without using the launcher and I am still running into the same problem.

When I go to Task Manager it shows ESO as active, and not the "program is not responding" message I would expect to see.

I am going to sit here and stare at it and hope it eventually does something.
    Edited by SilverBride on 13 March 2023 19:10
    PCNA
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    After you get into the game once, the problem seems to go away.
    "Argonians have fat, scaly tails." —Rissa Manyclaws.
    "Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
    "I smell to the nobility." —Indrasa Avani.
    "A bargain with an animal is not a contract made." —Haderus Atrimus.
    "Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
    "Your armor looks like underwear." —Shuns-the-Knife.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is encouraging. I just hope I get into the game once.
    PCNA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I left my frozen game up, shut down the launcher, reopened the launcher and launched another instance of the game and got right in. I then closed down the previous frozen game.

I didn't think it would let me launch 2 instances of the game but it did and it worked.

EDIT: I discovered the pages of errors I was getting were all related to one addon, but that isn't what was stopping me from getting in the game. Those came after I was logged in.
    Edited by SilverBride on 13 March 2023 21:08
    PCNA
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I had no problems logging in game after the patch other than the expected few error messages from addons. I use Nvidia Studio Driver and have not updated recently. (I update only when I must because extra headache to avoid installing Nvidia shovelware with the driver.)
  • Zerodeeps
    Zerodeeps
    My game doesn't freeze... so there's nothing to leave running. It just closes out at the Bethesda screen...

Have redownloaded Nvidia drivers (although they were up to date), reinstalled the game, repaired countless times. No luck. Really wish I was having your good fortune.
  • old_scopie1945
    old_scopie1945
    ✭✭✭✭

Seems so, I hope. I eventually got in after a bit of jiggery-pokery. After doing my writs and leaving I rebooted. On reading your post I started the game and got right in. Now only time will tell.
  • Chesus
    Chesus
    ✭✭
    Zerodeeps wrote: »
    My game doesn't freeze... so there's nothing to leave running. It just closes out at the Bethesda screen...

Have redownloaded Nvidia drivers (although they were up to date), reinstalled the game, repaired countless times. No luck. Really wish I was having your good fortune.

Yeah, exactly the same problem I'm having. When I try to spam skip the startup Bethesda/Havok loading screen I even get as far as the login message "Logging In: Requesting Login". It pretty much always closes the game 15ish seconds after clicking the Play button.
  • mtbikernate
    mtbikernate
    ✭✭
    Fighting this problem right now.

I was able to get in by waiting it out. The frozen login attempt timed out and I got that timeout error message. After which I was able to login successfully.
  • allan0n
    allan0n
    ✭✭✭
    I left my frozen game up, shut down the launcher, reopened the launcher and launched another instance of the game and got right in. I then closed down the previous frozen game.

I didn't think it would let me launch 2 instances of the game but it did and it worked.

Edited to Add: I discovered the pages of errors I was getting were all related to one addon. I disabled it and all is well.

This worked for me! I opened the game through the Steam launcher, then left that up while I loaded the game through the ESO64.exe file located in "Elder Scrolls Online/game/client, and that allowed me to actually get to my character screen.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi all. We are still working on an investigation for the freezing/crashing at login issue. If you are still experiencing freezing/crashing at login, after trying to update drivers and reinstall, we would like you to place a ticket in with customer service and provide a copy of your DxDiag. In order to provide your DxDiag, please follow the steps in this article.

This will give our teams more information to work with when trying to narrow down this issue. Thanks and we appreciate everyone's patience and cooperation.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't an addon problem. It also happens on the pts on which I have no addons for.

This freeze happens every new patch for several months. Like someone said earlier, it happens once and then it's fine.
  • logan68
    logan68
    ✭✭✭
    my sub is almost up i can just cancel it until its fixed, cancelled I hope it can be fixed in 8 days or before I move onto a new game
    Edited by logan68 on 13 March 2023 21:03
  • KaGaOri
    KaGaOri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have noticed weird thing: my first character has indrik as a mount. Once the symbol on load screen stops turning (about ten sec in, like everyone else) I'll get indrik sumon sound effect. It's as if character select came up, but I still see frozen loading screen. Anyone else noticed this?

And yes, all my drivers are updated, Win 10 is updated, Steam is updated and I don't run any addons.

EDIT: just got in after the game kicked me back to load screen for inactivity. Was able to log back in with no issues after. Best guess - the game is trying to play new trailer and freezes instead.

Try to open the game and let it sit for ten minutes and time out back to login.
    Edited by KaGaOri on 13 March 2023 21:38
  • chrisoh971eb17_ESO
    Game crashes without errors after 15 secs in bethesda logo. Nothing to wait. I tried crappy integrated graphics too and didn't help.
  • irswat
    irswat
    ✭✭✭✭
    had the same error with freezing logo then crash. Was fixed by removing the mod that removes fog
    The Lord Jesus Christ saved me from sin and darkness. His love has transformed me so that I am a new creature in Him. May you find Him too, and experience His richness and goodness!
  • Chesus
    Chesus
    ✭✭
    irswat wrote: »
    had the same error with freezing logo then crash. Was fixed by removing the mod that removes fog

I feel so stupid now lmao. Thanks for the tip man, I deleted the Daybreak mod and it fixed it. I deleted all the addons and didn't even think about the fact that I had that mod installed, cheers!
  • chrisoh971eb17_ESO
    irswat wrote: »

I tried daybreak once long time ago and i still had these three files in eso game folder:

d3d11.dll
    d3dcompiler_46.dll
    d3dx.ini

after deleting them game works fine now! Thank you for the hint!

• BaalMelqartu
    BaalMelqartu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same issues here. I tried deleting the files mentioned above and was basically told microsoft won't let me. I only had d3d11.dll on my system though and it was not in an ESO folder. Drivers up to date, tried verifying files. Restarted PC a few times. I have not yet tried reinstalling but guess I might have to as I don't know what else to try. Unfortunately, as rural as I live, it will probably take an entire day to reinstall so hoping some other possible fix pops up for me to try.
    -I also tried just letting the black screen do it's thing as has been mentioned but after an hour, nothing changed.
  • dannv
    dannv
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    For those running into issues, what errors are you getting?

And some of you have mentioned uninstalling add-ons. Just want to echo that point for efficiency.

Not getting any errors at all. The Bethesda Name comes up (usually all of it, sometimes only part) and then it drops to desktop.

This is the client log, all of it, from my last login.

2023-03-13T16:34:41.484-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:41.870-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.095-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.226-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.331-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.460-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.513-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.554-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.568-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.577-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.606-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.614-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.655-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.665-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.745-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.755-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.755-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.825-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.946-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:43.002-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:43.022-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:43.053-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:43.072-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:43.092-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:43.153-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:43.232-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0
    2023-03-13T16:34:43.242-08:00 event_type=loaded_from_binary chunks=0

And this is the interface log, all of it.

2023-03-13T16:34:42.406-08:00 Load Screen - RESUME_FROM_SUSPEND Complete
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.406-08:00 Load Screen - Waiting On: CHARACTER_GEOMETRY, TERRAIN_GEOMETRY, KEEPS, FIXTURE_ASSETS, DYNAMIC_OBJECTS, USER_INTERFACE, RENDERER, GAME_DATA, TEXTURES, CHARACTER_ACTIVATED, SHARED_CHARACTER_OBJECT, RESUME_FROM_SUSPEND, FIXTURE_PHYSICS, PLAYER,
    2023-03-13T16:34:42.407-08:00 PregameStateManager_SetState - from: nil, to: PlayIntroMovies

Worked fine yesterday. Now doesn't work for either my wife or myself on separate PCs.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I got in earlier and was afraid to log off, but I finally did just to test this and I'm stuck at the frozen screen again.

My workaround did work again though, thankfully.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the logging off problems that have been going on for awhile now. The one where when I go to shut down the game it goes to a black screen and I usually have to use the task manager to shut it down then. This has been happening off and on for awhile now.
    Edited by SilverBride on 14 March 2023 00:05
    PCNA
  • Raevenglass
    Raevenglass
    ✭✭✭
    I did what someone above mentioned. Left frozen login screen up then shut down and reopened the launcher. Second login worked great. Original frozen screen timed out.

*shrug*
This discussion has been closed.