The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

18 character slots is not enough.

• ZOS_FalcoYamaoka
    ​Greetings,
    We had to remove some posts as it violated our rules around bashing and baiting. Please be sure to keep discussions civil and constructive​. If you have any questions about the actions being taken, please take a moment to review our community rules here.
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Ezorus
    Ezorus
    ✭✭✭
    More than 6 is crazy more than 18 is mental 👀 I've been playing since morrowind almost got to max cp, I've another that i made before getting any race any alliance and a race change. Then only just started leveling an alt to play with my mate. There's so much to do in game can't imagine doing it 18 times
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone with 18 level 50 toons, nah... I'm good. 18 is more than enough until the next class drops.

Only real reason for more toons as far as I can tell is for storage and more crafting writs. Well, storage needs redesigned from the ground up anyway, and writs need at least some check on them for the economy. If you want to play dress up, you really dont need 20 characters.
    Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ezorus wrote: »
    More than 6 is crazy more than 18 is mental 👀

I don't disagree......

Gimmie more please!!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since adding the necromancer class, only 3 character slots have been added.

On top of that, vampires are about to get a big buff which potentially makes classes like nightblade much more interesting.

I only have one and I'm not sure I want to vamp him.

But with everything - horse training, trait research, crafting, achievements etc. - being character specific rather than account, I'm sure not deleting any.
    Options
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would help greatly if we could at least have multiple "build slots" for every of our characters, where you could select between different attribute/skill/CP assignments at no cost (or only a minimal cost, like porting to a wayshrine) and requiring only a single action.

Yes, I know it's already kinda possible with addons - but in taht form it's still a PITA: you need to be at a specific location (the respec shrine), it costs gold (far too much if you wanted to do this frequently), and it's quite clunky to say the least.

When I started playing on PC-EU over a year ago, I eventually ran into the problem that I would like to take my main (a magsorc) into many different types of content, but doing that would require several full respecs per week - which would be far too expensive for me to sustain.

When I moved to PC-NA recently and had to start over from scratch, I instead made 6 magsorcs to address this issue - but that comes with another set of disadvantages, so it's far from a perfect solution, either.
    Now imagine if I wanted to do this kind of thing with characters of every class... ugh.
    Options
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolf486 wrote: »
    I deleted a few of my characters as I found keeping up with 7 characters was too much, not sure how you all manage that many

I don't know many people with 18 characters that actually play them all. 15 of my 18 are just used for writs, in addition to 2 out of the 3 that I actively play...and only one of the 3 is played "full time".
    Options
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know many people with 18 characters that actually play them all. 15 of my 18 are just used for writs, in addition to 2 out of the 3 that I actively play...and only one of the 3 is played "full time".

Point is though that a lot of time, gold and effort still goes into those unplayed characters, making deleting them unviable.
    Options
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only use 1 character so 18 is to much.
    Options
  • Artanisul
    Artanisul
    ✭✭✭✭
    wow im such a noob and ignorant of your ESO world and routine, because ive been playing ESO for 8 months with one main character CP550 breton stamina, and only yesterday ive created my #2 character LV10 high elf magicka (in the hope to double my daily writs experience and make it farm mats & coins) but i hate repeating basic quests and visiting same places again and meeting boring NPC just to reach LV15.

im amazed how you managed that routine, because im struggling to reach CP600 since i die in solo combat, agaisnt any boss and i cant do any of Craglon group dungeons since i dont have a team LOL so im only now, developing my crafting skills that was iddle all this time - not to mention Cyrodil which i hate its battleground PVP PVE and all that mosh stuff... to messy, to fast, to stressfull.

you guys are awesome! managing 18 characters, leveling them all up and battling in Cyrodil while your bank acount drowns in coins (my gold goes all in Dreugh Wax) so i dont think ill ever reach CP810, even after spending to much on ESO+ membership each month. I dont know which armor to pick, which weapon to craft, which skills to lock in.

I am not sure if you know all the "basic quests" are not the same. There are three separate routes to 50. Each Alliance is a different starting point and road all the way to at least 50. The main story quest is the same 90% of the time, and the guilds of course dont change.

I normally get about 2/3rds of the way through the Alliance story when I hit 50 and then its all champion points to the end of the story. I dabble with the guilds and Main story along the way to make that part not so repetitive from the last character. Then there are all the DLC zones.

Getting the CP levels will be simple for you following just the stories. In the mean time talk to the MANY people here about that build. A stam DPS shouldnt have an issue with Bosses, unless you are talking Dungeon and World Bosses. Heck, make a Templar or Necromancer and the game feels like it plays itself with all the self healing built into the dps...
    Options
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »

Point is though that a lot of time, gold and effort still goes into those unplayed characters, making deleting them unviable.

Unviable might be a strong word.
    I've deleted char with maxed out riding skills, undaunted and most skyshards. Deleted multiple toons in whom I've invested 10+ hrs and 100k+ gold.
    If you don't play the character your effort and money are already lost, at least you can free up a slot.
    Options
  • SgtSilock
    SgtSilock
    ✭✭✭✭
    How can someone have 18 characters?!
    Options
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SgtSilock wrote: »

I mean, there are several posts from people explaining in detail why they have so many characters, maybe read them. Different strokes for different folks and all. No one way is better than the other, it’s all about preference.
    Options
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SgtSilock wrote: »

For a literal answer, you can buy more character slots. Then you create more characters at the character creation screen.

As far as using them--leveling to 50 does not take long. Do it during events with the many free XP scrolls from monthlies, free crates, and leveling. I often just level by doing a daily random dungeon and maybe a daily BG. I'll also do crafting writs on characters I'm leveling and research (which both give a little XP and help level crafts.) During this event, I might also do some Cyrodiil town dailies, which got me from 39-41 on my 17th character yesterday.

As for why you might want 18 characters for actual gameplay, There are multiple uses. You have 3 roles, tank, healer, and DPS. You have 6 classes. That right there can be 18 characters. For DPS, you can go stamina or magicka. That could mean 24 characters.

As someone who usually tanks, I enjoy attempting to tank with each class while leveling. Granted, normal dungeons are a bit too easy to get much of a feel for tanking and at this point I am cheating with extra DPS on my characters while leveling. My second necro basically just has s&b taunt and slask on one bar and nothing else apart from a necro armor skill is a tank skill.

During this event, the 18 characters are particularly helpful as daily writs are the easiest way to farm jubilee boxes.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on 13 April 2020 13:30
    Options
  • Arrodisia
    Arrodisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aptonoth wrote: »
    This game has been going for years at this point and character slots are getting tight. Can we please get a big slot increase? Even an additional 2 would go a long ways. It doesn’t seem to be ending any time soon either.

I absolutely agree, although I'd like to see an increase of 4 this time.

Best Regards and have fun all. :)
    Options
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy making characters for the sake of making them. Even if they are never played, I could sit in the character creator for hours especially when too tired to properly play the game. The choice is amazing. I love some of gnarly and hideous characters the randomizer comes up with. Then there's thinking of the names, it's a killer. I made 5 characters on the other server last night just for fun.
    Options
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ku5h wrote: »
    I've deleted char with maxed out riding skills, undaunted and most skyshards. Deleted multiple toons in whom I've invested 10+ hrs and 100k+ gold.
    If you don't play the character your effort and money are already lost, at least you can free up a slot.

It takes 6 months of real time to fully horse train characters.

Also about 6 months of real time to research traits.

Then there's recipes and furnishing plans and motifs. Which take time and or gold to acquire. A hell of a lot more than 100k+ gold.

Plus all of the various collection / crafting achievements which can take a very long time to complete.

[Edit to remove bait]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on 13 April 2020 19:06
    Options
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    ku5h wrote: »

It takes 6 months of real time to fully horse train characters.

Also about 6 months of real time to research traits.

Then there's recipes and furnishing plans and motifs. Which take time and or gold to acquire. A hell of a lot more than 100k+ gold.

Plus all of the various collection / crafting achievements which can take a very long time to complete.

Where did they mention having those characters learn recipes and furnishing plans and motifs? All they mentioned that costs gold is riding, and riding is cheap.

I have deleted an alt with level 50 enchanting back when it was actually challenging and expensive to level enchanting. It is really easy now. The key word is 'alt.' They knew no motifs apart from blue. No recipes really. They did have max horseriding and probably max bags.

6 months is nothing. I still haven't really used my 3 necromancers for much over the past year. One is max level from almost exclusively doing daily dungeons and BGs (and crafting writs) with XP buffs. Another is level 41 from doing the same. They get leveling level 18 tank sets as a hand-me-down that they use 18-50. I have a level 15 necro (character #18) that has leveled almost solely through crafting writs, which is how half my alts started their lives. That last alt need about 30 more stamina upgrades as I haven't been diligent about leveling horseriding.

Are you think that the other person only has 1 character at a time and deleted their main? Or are you assuming everyone has all their alts learn all motifs? Whatever you are assuming, it is inaccurate.

[Edit to remove reference of removed content]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on 13 April 2020 19:12
    Options
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading all these posts with personal anecdotes just reiterates the point that EVERYONE PLAYS THE GAME DIFFERENTLY. And that is perfectly fine. In fact, it's awesome that this game lends itself to so many different play styles. None of those play styles are any better or worse than another as long as you are meeting your personal gaming goal and having fun. (By the way, this is coming from someone who never "finished" Skyrim because I got caught up spending hours collecting every book in the game for my personal home library--but I enjoyed it!)

As to the number of slots, many people want more for a variety of reasons, and many people would never use them. Neither play style is wrong. However, it doesn't take anything away from the game for the people who don't use the slots to have more extra slots just sitting there, and it adds to the game for the others, so I say... give us more slots!
    Options
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike the cap on character slots. If someone wants to be spend crowns to get more, why not?
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    khajiitNPC wrote: »
    I dislike the cap on character slots. If someone wants to be spend crowns to get more, why not?

Characters require database storage, so it is not just a simple matter of buying them in the Crown Store.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just swinging past this old thread which I noticed (no idea if Ive commented in it before). Anyway I think its worthwhile raising the issue regularly.

18 character slots is NOT ENOUGH.

I have 18 characters and every one of them is used periodically. Sometimes for long stretches I main one, sometimes I switch between different characters regularly, for a whole variety of reasons.

Ultimately, one of the most fun things in ESO, is character creation in its entirety, from picking the race, class and look, to levelling, to farming the gear, outfitting etc, the whole theory crafting and creativity of it is a joy.

18 is not enough, I have at least 4 well theory crafted builds in the waiting, but no slots to make them.

Arguments against seem to stem from people who cant understand playing or creating that many characters, fine, no one is asking you to, just dont go arguing to limit the enjoyment of others! Another argument is, oh just delete characters... are you serious? Delete a level 50, CP810 character, with multiple skill lines levelled, multiple achievements and the map opened up etc... that is simply not an option given the time and effort invested in these characters. Finally one of the main ones wheeled out is, oooh we cant afford the data! Puleeeeaaase, its a bunch of 1 and 0s in a data base and Zos are a wealthy company, they can afford the storage space with consumate ease if its really a problem.

Rant over.

ps, I just theory crafted an awesome Stamden beast master and I feel totally gutted I cant go and create and use them :(

pps, these polls shows why we need more slots in start reality and that the player base agrees.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/493216/how-many-characters-do-you-have/p1

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/518934/would-you-like-more-character-slots-available/p1

Edited by Grianasteri on 25 August 2020 12:29
    Options
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 32, maybe 26 of them level 50.

For people who asked what for:

I play on (xbox) EU and on NA.
    Both servers offer a very different gaming experience, as NA has approx. 5x more players than EU.

So NA for me is more "group content" playing, EU solo.

However, on both servers you have situations where multiple toons come in handy, even if you do not play all of them each day.

On weekends, those with the crafting skills (maybe 18) do the writs, during the week maybe half of them. The amount of gold mats you earn greatly increases my gold (EU: 6 mio, NA: 1 mio at moment after buying stuff like the Goronir estate).

Then you have events.
    Summerset, 2 dailies with each toon. Many rewards like Culanda Laquer. Together with the culanda I bought cheap, I now have more than 1000 on each server, so no need to do dailies for the rest of the year (I use culanda to craft and sell furniture).

And: Transmutation crystals.
    A mothers sorrow flamestaff infused costs 200k in guildstores?
    No prob, buy a defending one for 40k, and transmute it to infused. 160k saved.
    With 16 toons on each server, playing cyro 1 hour each month, you never run out of transmutation crystals.

Finally:
    the fun.
    I simply love to level up new toons, as you actually really feel progress in contrast to a cp810 that experiences degression (nerfs) instead.
    Without these positive success feelings I already might have quit the game out of frustration.
    Edited by markulrich1966 on 25 August 2020 13:25
    Options
  • Exhale
    Exhale
    @khajiitNPC Agree
    Options
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    18 character slots is 17 too many
    Options
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, please more character slots! Especially for rpers, 18 is simply not enough. For someone like myself, one of my greatest joys in the game if not the greatest is creating and customizing characters, especially with a wonderful character creator like eso has.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
    Options
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As soon as the speculations that there wouldn’t be any new slots included, came true on PC release day - I got a refund for Greymoor on XBONE (I since won it via Twitch!).

You would think at the very least they’d include 2 slots so everyone could make fresh Vamp & WW builds.

I purposefully saved my 18th character slot so I could experience the new tutorial quest - my first proper tank, and it’s also fun levelling WW on a baby character. Maybe I will try to squeeze-in the Vamp skill line before level 50, as well - just to get the full effect of the content, I guess.

I mean - wouldn’t it be nice to have the option to create a new character for the Q4 Mini-Zone DLC, even? Soooooo much of the impact is lost playing this content on CP810 characters. I always choose a low-bie to do the quests first - for the story - and then go back on my main to re-do the quests with good gear set rewards.

Plus - it’s not even asking for a freebie... just the ability to do so, and additional slots cost IRL money. I’d gladly fatten-up my Crowns stash if more slots were made available: grab the last couple of Dungeon DLCs I don’t have, and spend the rest on character slots.

As it stands, I’ll buy the Q4 DLC with gold and assume that next year’s Chapter won’t include more, on release / pre-order day in a few months.

S.
    Options
  • Skauron
    Skauron
    ✭✭✭
    Go outside more.
    Champion level chars: Nord Warden (Tank):50 Khajiit Nightblade (stam dual blade):50 High Elf Necromancer (magicka dps):50 Dragonknight (Tank):50 Sorcerer Vampire: 50
    Also levelling: Templar (dps)

Started playing ESO: April 4th
    Options
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoauspex wrote: »
    18 character slots is 17 too many

For you. You do you. Others enjoy variety.
    Options
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes please. 18 is such an awkward number. 20 would be a nice round number.
    Options