Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Stop Raising the Level Cap

• k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS is NOT up'ing the level cap per say. A level is define when one gets stat AND Skill points.

VR are more like "half a level" -- a player is only getting stats, not skills. I do not mind if the VR is getting bigger -- it is just up'ing the stats. The real MAX level is still 50.

To get the "other half" of the VR level, one must do quests, skyshards, etc to get the skill points.
  • Nomadh_ESO
    k9mouse wrote: »
    ZOS is NOT up'ing the level cap per say. A level is define when one gets stat AND Skill points.

VR are more like "half a level" -- a player is only getting stats, not skills. I do not mind if the VR is getting bigger -- it is just up'ing the stats. The real MAX level is still 50.

To get the "other half" of the VR level, one must do quests, skyshards, etc to get the skill points.

Wait, what??? Which game are you playing and what are you smoking? I want some too.

The only statement that made sense is " I do not mind if the VR is getting bigger"

/roflstomplmao

ps. ups i take that back after looking at the Khajiit Lovers Steam Group website. So you're stating this from a Kajiit POV?:-) Miauuu from Grumpy Cat
    Edited by Nomadh_ESO on 27 May 2014 21:21
  • Mykah
    Mykah
    ✭✭✭
    NordJitsu wrote: »
    Okay so the game has been out for less than 2 months and you've already raised the level cap.

Really?

I'm hoping this was just a 1-off because Craglorn was the first major update, the first addition of true group based end-game content outside of PvP, and something you've been talking about for a while.

If its a one time thing, then I'm fine with it.

But if this is how I can expect the game to progress, I might have to rethink my subscription, as much as I love the game.

I do not want constant linear progression. I do not want to constantly be chasing a carrot for minor stat increases. I do not want to constantly be trying to keep up with players who play 24/7 and can reach the new cap faster than 90% of the player base.

That makes the game feel like a chore.

Expansion of the game should be horizontal the vast majority of the time. Add new skill lines, new gear sets, new content for me to tackle and master. Expand systems by adding new Trials, new forms of PvP, new zones to explore, new story lines, ect.

I should want to explore new content because I find it interesting, not because I'm required to in order to maintain optimization of my character. And if I do want to enhance my character, it should be through learning new abilities or obtaining unique set bonuses, not spending hours trying to get 5% more weapon damage by gaining access to higher tier gear.

Awesome post Nord.

I totally agree, horizontal progression is always better than vertical progression. I think new weapon lines and new guild lines are the way to go. The level cap itself shouldnt be touched more than once a year or so. There are droves of players still working through the base vr1-10 grind, throwing more levels at players is just hurting casuals and pvpers.

Everyone who disagrees doesnt understand MMO longevity.
  • Desdemonte
    Desdemonte
    ✭✭✭
    @NordJitsu‌ has the truth of it!
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, what??? Which game are you playing and what are you smoking? I want some too.

The only statement that made sense is " I do not mind if the VR is getting bigger"

/roflstomplmao

ps. ups i take that back after looking at the Khajiit Lovers Steam Group website. So you're stating this from a Kajiit POV?:-) Miauuu from Grumpy Cat

ESO is the game I am talking about. It shouldn't be a hard idea to understand if one looks how a level is define. When one gets stats and skill points. VR levels, one is only getting stats, thus it is not a true level, "half" a level.

ZOS is dividing the levels up -- to get better stats, one have to get XP to rise that Stat part of the level. To get more skills lines / skill points, one must do quests and get Skyshards, etc

When the Darkbrother Hood and the Thieves Guild come out, we will have more ways to get skill points.
  • Nomadh_ESO

/roflstomplmao

ESO is the game I am talking about. It shouldn't be a hard idea to understand if one looks how a level is define. When one gets stats and skill points. VR levels, one is only getting stats, thus it is not a true level, "half" a level.

ZOS is dividing the levels up -- to get better stats, one have to get XP to rise that Stat part of the level. To get more skills lines / skill points, one must do quests and get Skyshards, etc

When the Darkbrother Hood and the Thieves Guild come out, we will have more ways to get skill points.

You just made that up and have no clue what you are saying right? You are wrong, sorry to say. You statement of how a level is defined doesnt make any sense but your imagination is great. And this is not subjective.

VR level = certain ammount of xp to get to next VR level which opens new level items to be used.
    Skill/ability lines = certain xp / unlockable with xp and number of skill points to improve your stats/passive abilities. These are not connected to VR levels by any means.

There is no split half-half level.

There is more then enough of skyshards/quests/repeatable quests etc. to improve all your skills without VR increase, even if you put inside the new Guilds you mentioned.

• Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Darkbrother Hood :o
  • James_Keenan
    James_Keenan
    Soul Shriven
    I agree with OP. Increasing the maximum level so quickly makes me feel like I've accomplished absolutely nothing before. Focus should be put on actually making end game content worth playing, not just dangling a carrot on a string and watching us run on a treadmill.

If you do a MAJOR expansion then fine, increase the level cap, but if in another month the level goes up again then I'm totally done.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gisgo wrote: »
    theyancey wrote: »
    Please DO NOT stop raising the level cap! Leveling a character is what brings some of us the most joy.

I dont want to flame you i dont mind different playstyles from mine, but isnt the fun clearing dungeons, killing stuff, getting gear... rather than just leveling up?

Not for me. If I didn't want to be leveling a character I would just buy a shooter and be done with it. I have been playing these games going back to dial up BBS prior to the Web. I lose interest and move on to something else once there are no more opportunities to develop my characters.
  • Nomadh_ESO
    Gisgo wrote: »
    Please DO NOT stop raising the level cap! Leveling a character is what brings some of us the most joy.

I dont want to flame you i dont mind different playstyles from mine, but isnt the fun clearing dungeons, killing stuff, getting gear... rather than just leveling up?

Not for me. If I didn't want to be leveling a character I would just buy a shooter and be done with it. I have been playing these games going back to dial up BBS prior to the Web. I lose interest and move on to something else once there are no more opportunities to develop my characters.

What you propose is, an suposedly you are against, is exactly an fps vertical experience.

Everything i see here is 2 groups coming from 2 different worlds. MMO'ers that ask to widen the content and quality of the game (with extensive FPS/single player experience from past) and FPS'ers that never played a real MMO and have no real clue what an MMORPG should be or look like.

ESO is trying to give to both sides but hearing statments that you will lose interest if there is no level increase means you will be done with this game in any case after 3 months while the rest of us who like ESO as an MMO, and will stay for much much longer time then you, will have to put up with the damage you have caused to this game.

ps. In reference to your opportunities of developing your character you think that it will develop only if the number on your screen increases? You clearly have no clue of what it means to develop a character and which content to ask for.
    Edited by Nomadh_ESO on 27 May 2014 22:42