Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

And the most ridiculous thing about this game is ........

• Selstad
    Selstad
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's quite frustrating getting killed by apparently 3k attacks while your foe is 3 meters away from you and still channelling his "super" attack and only in the death screen does he finish the animation.

The server ability delay, lag and monster delays are growing from a nuisance to frustration quite quickly. I have a rather beefy internet connection, so it's somewhere on the line from the server, and having others having the same problem, is a clear indication where the problem lies.

Hopefully they'll manage to fix it, and hopefully they'll manage to get the server relocated to EU soon enough. Normally having it in the US shouldn't be a problem, but I don't trust Zenimax enough for that not to be a problem. The company has managed to take rather small "problems" in MMO standards and blow them totally out of proportion (such as something simple as patching ending up with forgetting to turn the client on for patching).
  • Cerbin
    Cerbin
    Soul Shriven
    One advice on the topic. Don't stand in melee range behind a charging mob. And this is not post-lag hit.

Latency is not the only problem here.
  • IKilled007
    IKilled007
    ✭✭✭✭
    GrimMauKin wrote: »

I've just endured another combat session where I've been hit whilst not just out of range, but several times out of range, by a foe a considerable distance away at the top of a flight of stairs. I've been hit continually whilst sprinting away from a slow moving foe I'd have already considered myself to be well out of range of before starting to run.

In other situations I've seen someone bitten by a sable cat that was a whole body length away, hits that have landed despite being a weapon's length away and a spike trap that hit someone standing a good five feet away and I've moved to the side and even behind strikes but still be hit.

If an NPC winds up his uppercut (two-hander), you can run across the zone away from him and he'll still connect. Try it. It's funny.

The only substitute for victory is overkill.
  • Diaboli
    Diaboli
    ✭✭✭
    I bet none of you guys use weaving! I have got a tip that should almost double your DPS.

READ THIS:

The animations you see, your position, it's all delayed in every game. This is normal. Weaving is a technique where halfway through your normal attack animation, you launch one of your spells or abilities.

If you have latency issues, you probably need to open ports in your firewall, router, or modem. Call tech support for your ISP if it is your modem, the link for the proper ports to open is here:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/68288/ports-to-open-on-router-for-eso

An example of weaving:

Halfway through a heavy attack with a two handed weapon, I use obsidian shard. The animation cuts off in the middle and it appears to do damage for both at the same time. The damage from my melee attack registered on the server end before the animation completed on my end.

Now, I heavy attack again, while my opponent is knocked down. Halfway through the animation, I use lava whip. Damage for both resolves seemingly at once. They get on their feet, and they are staggered. My next heavy attack knocks them down, I let them get on their feet, then use uppercut to send them sailing through the air and they are on the ground again.

Now heavy attack halfway through your lava whip, and repeat until out of magicka.

THEREFORE:

This method maximizes the amount of DPS you can achieve. This has worked in EVERY MMO I HAVE EVER PLAYED.

If you're having trouble with timing your dodge rolls, you just need to practice on easy mobs. The server will correct for human error if your timing is right. It's the same thing with abilities like reflective scale.

This timing issue is also how bots break the animations to put out inhuman DPS, however weaving is not an exploit, unless I missed something in the TOS. It's not abusing the system, it's taking advantage of the server's timing.

NOW ABOUT DODGING:

Dodging works the same way. If you haven't dodged by the time half of the animation has completed, you're going to be hit. I have tested this.

I don't mean to sound snotty. I had to be taught too. I am just frustrated because I see a lot of people that need to learn to adapt to a new game instead of crying about it.

Or maybe the Memes are right and you need to just reroll DK ;D
    Edited by Diaboli on 26 May 2014 11:18
    If I throw a dog a bone, I don't care to know how it tastes... - Brick Top
  • TigerLotus
    TigerLotus
    Soul Shriven
    It's not just attacks that hit you out of range (most of the time 2-hand
    sword swings) there is a problem with synchronizing between client
    and server. I play together with a friend and our computers stand
    next to each other, so I can see what is happening on his screen.
    I found that the position of our charakters on both computers is
    totally different while moving, sometimes I am running behind him
    on his PC but I am running in front of him on mine.. or the
    other way round. I have never seen a game where the charakters
    were behaving so different on 2 Computers. So I am not surprised
    that the range-mechanic is not working well.
  • fredarbonab14_ESO
    fredarbonab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ "I was gonna say the most ridiculous thing about this game is the players"

Its their manner, above all the tone they employ to express even the simplest thought; just about always comes across accusatory, and whining and usually with the veil message 'you are lucky I am paying for my subscription, though I don't know why'.

I vote for an IQ meter in the game.
  • Lovely
    Lovely
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ "I was gonna say the most ridiculous thing about this game is the players"

Its their manner, above all the tone they employ to express even the simplest thought; just about always comes across accusatory, and whining and usually with the veil message 'you are lucky I am paying for my subscription, though I don't know why'.

I vote for an IQ meter in the game.

I don't know, I don't find it ridiculous. Being the general forums, half expected. Just like people who complain about people who complain. Usually meant to get others to comment and / or agree.

• BGK
    BGK
    Soul Shriven
    Diaboli wrote: »
    I bet none of you guys use weaving! I have got a tip that should almost double your DPS.

READ THIS:

The animations you see, your position, it's all delayed in every game. This is normal. Weaving is a technique where halfway through your normal attack animation, you launch one of your spells or abilities.

If you have latency issues, you probably need to open ports in your firewall, router, or modem. Call tech support for your ISP if it is your modem, the link for the proper ports to open is here:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/68288/ports-to-open-on-router-for-eso

An example of weaving:

Halfway through a heavy attack with a two handed weapon, I use obsidian shard. The animation cuts off in the middle and it appears to do damage for both at the same time. The damage from my melee attack registered on the server end before the animation completed on my end.

Now, I heavy attack again, while my opponent is knocked down. Halfway through the animation, I use lava whip. Damage for both resolves seemingly at once. They get on their feet, and they are staggered. My next heavy attack knocks them down, I let them get on their feet, then use uppercut to send them sailing through the air and they are on the ground again.

Now heavy attack halfway through your lava whip, and repeat until out of magicka.

THEREFORE:

This method maximizes the amount of DPS you can achieve. This has worked in EVERY MMO I HAVE EVER PLAYED.

If you're having trouble with timing your dodge rolls, you just need to practice on easy mobs. The server will correct for human error if your timing is right. It's the same thing with abilities like reflective scale.

This timing issue is also how bots break the animations to put out inhuman DPS, however weaving is not an exploit, unless I missed something in the TOS. It's not abusing the system, it's taking advantage of the server's timing.

NOW ABOUT DODGING:

Dodging works the same way. If you haven't dodged by the time half of the animation has completed, you're going to be hit. I have tested this.

I don't mean to sound snotty. I had to be taught too. I am just frustrated because I see a lot of people that need to learn to adapt to a new game instead of crying about it.

I've never seen such a wall of BS, especially the part about the firewall.
    Either the communication is blocked by the firewall or it's not; there is not middle ground.
    Also not only using a client-server flaw to acheive a double actions into one animation isn't an exploit in your book but It should actually be the way to properly play.
    Not sure if sad or hilarious.
  • Phantorang
    Phantorang
    ✭✭✭✭
    Selstad wrote: »
    It's quite frustrating getting killed by apparently 3k attacks while your foe is 3 meters away from you and still channelling his "super" attack and only in the death screen does he finish the animation.

The server ability delay, lag and monster delays are growing from a nuisance to frustration quite quickly. I have a rather beefy internet connection, so it's somewhere on the line from the server, and having others having the same problem, is a clear indication where the problem lies.

Hopefully they'll manage to fix it, and hopefully they'll manage to get the server relocated to EU soon enough. Normally having it in the US shouldn't be a problem, but I don't trust Zenimax enough for that not to be a problem. The company has managed to take rather small "problems" in MMO standards and blow them totally out of proportion (such as something simple as patching ending up with forgetting to turn the client on for patching).

Melee range is up to 5m, no wonder you keep getting hit at 3m, not sure what you expect if you think thats wrong.

Server delay etc is an MMO wide problem though, nothing special about ESO here, it will help ALOT to move the servers to where the players are though!
    Edited by Phantorang on 26 May 2014 15:50
    Fimbulwinter Recruiting true Vikings | Campaigns score | EU PC
  • GrimMauKin
    GrimMauKin
    ✭✭✭✭
    This isn't really about server lag (although this plays a part in odd combat outcomes) it's simply about the mechanic that provides an absurdly exaggerated weapon range (and no visual indicator as to whether you're in or out of range; weapon visuals mean nothing). A character and MOB can stand static (negating lag) 5 or 6 weapons' lengths away from each other and still hit each other (as mentioned in the original post, I've seen a sabre cat bite someone it was a full body's length away from); the issue with running away is simply that it's virtually impossible to move out of weapon range.

My issue is that the key positioning, battlefield awareness and movement elements of combat are completely negated when you can't trust what you see and where you can hit, and be hit, by virtually anyone on the field irrespective of where they are.

Early on when I first commented on/complained about this it was explained to me (rightly or wrongly) by another forum user as intentional by design and intended to avoid players constantly kiting foes (I gave up using a bow when it turned out that it really just worked like another hand to hand weapon).
    Edited by GrimMauKin on 26 May 2014 18:03
    I am one of The Great Mediocracy, those whose role in life is to provide the baseline by which The Few deem themselves Great.
  • Birfreben_Kinghelred
    BGK wrote: »
    Diaboli wrote: »

READ THIS:

An example of weaving:

THEREFORE:

NOW ABOUT DODGING:

I've never seen such a wall of BS, especially the part about the firewall.
    Either the communication is blocked by the firewall or it's not; there is not middle ground.
    Also not only using a client-server flaw to acheive a double actions into one animation isn't an exploit in your book but It should actually be the way to properly play.
    Not sure if sad or hilarious.

In most MOBA's animation cancelling is an intended feature. Many heros deal damage mid way through there animation and have a "back-swing" that is unnecessary to complete. Good players us this to continue moving/execute another attack and the hero's that make best use of this are balanced for it.

This is significantly different than ESO's "animation cancelling" but I don't think what he described is a latency issue. I think this has to do with the priority of various abilities. As an example "animation cancelling" doesn't work with uppercut or other channelled abilities until the charge time is over, this is before the damage/knock down is dealt. meaning, you can cancel the animation way sooner than the sword connects and still knock down/damage the enemy. Maybe this combined with lag and uppercuts extended 7 metre range are the source of your "global uppercut that cannot be dodged."
    Ie. you need to dodge before that 1 second charge time is completed, or block. (I usually block uppercut anyway, it gives you a disorient on the npc.)

I experimented with animation cancelling for a week or so when I found out about it. Even with a macro it really doesn't give you that big of an advantage (unless you were onehand/shield user pre 1.1.2 deadly bash nerf.) You get a couple extra light attacks in, auto attacks make up a small fraction of your DPS and you still need to waste magicka/stam to cancel so its not really worth it, imo.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WilliamTee wrote: »
    Lies!

The most ridiculous thing in this game is clearly Brackenleaf's voice!

Hah! Strange thing :)

I did that quest yesterday, and for he had this deep low rumbling voice (Treebeard like) and not that one as in the video.

Maybe it was a temporal VO while they were doing the real one? Or maybe they just reacted to the critics :)
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>