Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

ZOS please stop locking free crown stuffs under achievements.

• Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy rewarding the completion of content. If you get to the end of an 'achievement track', you should get the rewards. I'm not okay with the whole cash shop thing, but I'm apparently part of the minority on that.

For context, I think the most consumer friendly games are subscription based instead of cash shop based. In those games I was able to get everything I wanted through gameplay rather than a shop. But that's life.
  • ElvenOverlord
    ElvenOverlord
    ✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    This seems like an odd game to choose to play if you don't like questing.

Yeah if someone doesn’t like questing then choosing to play an mmorpg is an odd choice
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah if someone doesn’t like questing then choosing to play an mmorpg is an odd choice

I love ESO because the game gives me variety, but questing in ESO is repetitive, dull, and boring for me, and therefore I prevent it as much as possible. I prefer to spend my ESO time doing endgaming trials and PvP.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    i like it because it gets ppl out doing content

It makes sense, but it's a bit sad actually that they have to do this to get certain areas and activities crowded. It might be different during prime time (I don't know), but when I play some older maps look almost empty, especially when it comes to world bosses and world events. It at all, I mostly see low level characters questing and people using the crafting area and bank in big cities, but other than that...

well a lot of the problem with stuff in the game, is that once you do get all the rewards that are currently offered by the activity there is not a huge incentive to continue doing said content

take the deadlands wandering world bosses, they dont really drop anything unique except 1 lead, and about twice the effort of killing a normal fixed location world boss (both because of larger hp pools, and their wandering nature)

the only other carrot that exists outside of the few drops they have is the achievement for killing 30 of them, so theres not a lot of incentive to do them outside of events or some other reason (endeavors, bonus reward events, etc)

And that is a core problem of "harder content" that so many want. It only remains harder for some for a while and something they will bother with even if it remains hard. Then it becomes unused content.

How many would be chain running Atoll of Immolation if not for all the endeavors this month?

I could try to form a group to hunt Deadlands wandering bosses, but then I would have to find them after making a group (guild or group finder). Either is not simple nor easy to pull people in, partially for the reasons above.

Things like that work if the game has lots of people wandering around to jump into such things, but it simply does not now.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RaikaNA wrote: »

I love ESO because the game gives me variety, but questing in ESO is repetitive, dull, and boring for me, and therefore I prevent it as much as possible. I prefer to spend my ESO time doing endgaming trials and PvP.

It also depends on what you cover with "questing". Doing a Fighters or Mages Guild daily is a quest, but is an activity some like. I believe all dungeons have an initial quest as well, as I assume do Trials (I have only done the HOF one so far.)

It would be hard to do much in the game without some questing. Do you avoid/ignore PvP and Trial quests?

Though I have no problem boosting those activities as well, but Trials would inherently get repetitive at some point without some motivation, or so I would expect. What keeps you playing?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It makes sense, but it's a bit sad actually that they have to do this to get certain areas and activities crowded. It might be different during prime time (I don't know), but when I play some older maps look almost empty, especially when it comes to world bosses and world events. It at all, I mostly see low level characters questing and people using the crafting area and bank in big cities, but other than that...

well a lot of the problem with stuff in the game, is that once you do get all the rewards that are currently offered by the activity there is not a huge incentive to continue doing said content

take the deadlands wandering world bosses, they dont really drop anything unique except 1 lead, and about twice the effort of killing a normal fixed location world boss (both because of larger hp pools, and their wandering nature)

the only other carrot that exists outside of the few drops they have is the achievement for killing 30 of them, so theres not a lot of incentive to do them outside of events or some other reason (endeavors, bonus reward events, etc)

And that is a core problem of "harder content" that so many want. It only remains harder for some for a while and something they will bother with even if it remains hard. Then it becomes unused content.

How many would be chain running Atoll of Immolation if not for all the endeavors this month?

I could try to form a group to hunt Deadlands wandering bosses, but then I would have to find them after making a group (guild or group finder). Either is not simple nor easy to pull people in, partially for the reasons above.

Things like that work if the game has lots of people wandering around to jump into such things, but it simply does not now.

a lot of the stuff like atoll and wandering bosses i dont really consider difficult content, but its significantly more time consuming to do solo for the same payout as killing it in 10 seconds with a group

however if you are doing it off peak times it might take longer to form a group to kill it than just solo it

for me, most of that stuff i dont kill all the time because ive already killed hundreds, and i dont need any of the rewards for them, but if i pass by see someone fighting it ill still help out, or if someone asks for help to kill a WB in zone chat ill help with that if i can
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    It’s not a free gift, it’s a marketing thing. They’re trying to get us to do content by dangling a free carrot. They’re a company.

This. If it happens again we know it was a successful marketing ploy.

• YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    It’s not a free gift, it’s a marketing thing. They’re trying to get us to do content by dangling a free carrot. They’re a company.

It can be both at the same time but it's still far better than what preceded it, which was nothing at all.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    It's already normal and has been for a long time.

There are already a lot of items locked behind achievements. For example, you can get dyes, non-combat pets, emotes, furnishings, etc. for completing achievements in-game. The items aren't put into the crown store. You just automatically get them when you complete the achievement.

I don't see the difference between that and having to go to the crown store to pick up a free item tied to an achievement. The only difference is that you have to go to the crown store to get the item. In other words, there's an extra step, but otherwise no difference.

I don't like to PvP and I don't do vet content, which means I won't get items locked behind any associated achievements. That's fine. You don't like questing so you won't get any items locked behind questing achievements. That's fine too.

I would say that the difference here is the combination of Crown Store + behind achievement + limited time. And, personally I also am not a fan, even though this is definitely not the first time it has been done.

I'm still bummed that I missed obtaining the Antiquarian's Alpine Gallery and related rewards because it was provided during the Lost Treasures of Skyrim Event and, because it was the first time that type of event had an award claim in the Crown Store as opposed to via mail, I hadn't realized and missed claiming it, even though I absolutely played and met all of the requirements. When I realized and submitted a ticket, ESO help told me it was no longer possible to provide me with the reward, which seemed ridiculous since the house was obviously still available in game. Personally I believe if you meet the requirements of the gift it should not expire.

If the offer didn't expire, then I would agree that there is no difference between this and all of the other items locked behind achievements.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

a lot of the stuff like atoll and wandering bosses i dont really consider difficult content, but its significantly more time consuming to do solo for the same payout as killing it in 10 seconds with a group

however if you are doing it off peak times it might take longer to form a group to kill it than just solo it

for me, most of that stuff i dont kill all the time because ive already killed hundreds, and i dont need any of the rewards for them, but if i pass by see someone fighting it ill still help out, or if someone asks for help to kill a WB in zone chat ill help with that if i can

You may be able to solo them, but I cannot. The wandering things in Telvanni get me killed, eventually. Harrowstorms just keep me there forever, literally. At least I have gone 1/2 to 1 hour with no progress with another before bailing. Thus not worth doing.

As I always say, some here can do them blindfolded playing with their feet, but and many others cannot. And if that is not hard content, then no wonder so few think hard content does not exist!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It can be both at the same time but it's still far better than what preceded it, which was nothing at all.

It depends if they use this to justify Oblivion Portals since "so many did them so many times." That would not be a truly accurate picture if such happens.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, It is not the first time we could earn items in-game that require access to content. I think this has caught their attention because it is done differently.