Maintenance for the week of June 3:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 3, 2:00AM EDT (6:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
· PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

So who else is locked out of their accounts now?

• ZiggyTStardust
    ZiggyTStardust
    ✭✭✭
    What is this laundering and economy impact i am hearing about? Was there some weird way to transfer money from PTS to PC NA or something?
    Since the pts and NA where somehow synched you could create a template character on the pts and then access that character on NA to transfer the gold somewhere else, but I don't know if anybody actually did that
    Options
  • EnerG
    EnerG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EnerG wrote: »
    I don't think all of you understand that if this wasn't a blanket all-who-logged-onto-pts gets-rolledback that you would be locked out for months while zos goes over your account data and determines if you abused it in any way.

They're not checking your data, they're rolling back your account and moving onto the next one. Be lucky this is the solution they chose, I know it sucks, I know y'all want to scream and should and be angry but the amount of work required to go situation by situation would be astronomical. Do you want to miss 2 or 3 days, or pretend eso is your job and demand they put your pens back exactly where you had them.

I'm very much going to be agitated at losing out on things like endeavor seals and log-in credits when I've very diligently acquired all of them to date, and unique event rewards that cannot be replaced, and will very much demand they find a way to compensate that. It wasn't a matter of me finding an exploit and knowingly using it to do anything. It wasn't me willfully attempting some underhanded move that breaks TOS. It was logging into the PTS for two minutes to look at a house.

Even beyond all of that and theoretical rewards I could (would) have picked up in the coming days, what about the gold I got from trader sales throughout the day? That was a significant amount of gold. How does that work when it's player-to-player transactions? What happens if I'm rolled back but the person who bought my stuff and paid me isn't? Will I still have that gold or at least have it waiting in my mail? Will I instead have a duplicate of the items for sale? There are some justifiably concerning inquiries to be made even beyond missed opportunities simply due to the nature of targeted rollbacks over a full server rollback.

Yes it's unfair and I'm sorry you miss out on a few days of rewards but this is a company, they're not omniscient they have no way of knowing what you were doing on the pts unless they open up your data.

And then if they open your data they're opening everyone's and scrutinizing everything they did for 2hour of gametime... and I think you see where the problem is. Again you be rolled back and wait 2 days, or be locked out for months while zos has everyone going account by account looking at all of their play data for 2 hours.
    Options
  • DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is this laundering and economy impact i am hearing about? Was there some weird way to transfer money from PTS to PC NA or something?

If you went onto the PTS and made a template character, you could have an unspeakable amount of gold just deposited into your pocket. Since the PTS characters were linked to the live server, you could the theoretically hop off the PTS, sign into live, and send the gold to someone or an account that never touched the PTS thus 'laundering' the gold from the rollback. Presumably that would work, though whether ZOS is combing through and looking for suspiciously large movements of gold throughout that short timeframe to investigate is another matter.

In the grand scheme of things, it *hopefully* shouldn't have too big of an effect given how short the timeframe really was. Still means that a few people out there might have just made it big over this whole thing.
    Options
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    I’m sure we can raise a ticket after to request the tickets or seals. I’ve always had very good experience with Zos customer support.

@ZOS_Kevin , I’m sure you all have a lot going on but should folks contact customer service after the investigations are completed?

We'll have more info after we work through the next few steps to resolve this on our side. If you want to send a ticket to Customer Service, you can. Just know they will likely tell you the same thing published in our last update. You can also keep a note for now of what you would send to Customer Service. We'll follow up with next steps as soon as we can.

In my opinion, it would have been better to do a general rollback than this route. 2-3 days targeting your most active and devoted community members is not good PR. I hope you have plans to make those that didn't exploit whole from this.

even if the entire server lost a day of event and grinding, an event extension would have been better and easier. Just my feedback and two cents here. A lot of the players that try out the PTS are just going to be more reluctant to use it moving forward. Not that this will happen again, but precedent is a powerful tool.

just my feedback nothing more.

All of this.

For now I don't want to assume anything. They have a lot to fix; the comms sent may be imperfect and incomplete.

But I'll echo: a ton of the people who logged into PTS first thing today are bound to be among the most loyal, active players:

I pre-ordered Gold Road, have the 10-year award on my forum account, the Imgakin monkey and haven't done anything nefarious in that time. Many of us put a lot of our time and creativity into our ESO creations and communities. Beyond our own missed rewards, many are also members of guilds that depend on us and our sales, during one of the most expensive times of the year for trader bids.

There were definitely a lot of us, now locked out, that share these traits. I can't imagine snubbing core members; it'd be yet another mess.
    Options
  • LucyferLightbringer
    LucyferLightbringer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see, thank you all for explaining.
    Options
  • tom6143346
    tom6143346
    ✭✭
    For one hour or so , you could transfer basically anything from pts to live . That’s the problem and the reason for the rollbacks. You even read the text above? :smiley:
    Options
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading through, loads of people saying they won't touch PTS. Understandable.

But to add to this: a ton of us on PTS today are surely in housing. We're on there constantly - it's necessary to test expensive builds.

Some people may believe the housing community to be niche, but it is large enough that Bethesda repeatedly sponsors housing events and of course has its own chunk of an update coming up. And definitely pays for some of the billions in earnings with the ridiculously expensive houses and related items in the crown store.

Man... I wasn't worked up about it; honestly seemed like a funny screw-up at first. But it will have shockwaves.

Edited by MoonPile on 16 April 2024 08:44
    Options
  • DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think all of you understand that if this wasn't a blanket all-who-logged-onto-pts gets-rolledback that you would be locked out for months while zos goes over your account data and determines if you abused it in any way.

They're not checking your data, they're rolling back your account and moving onto the next one. Be lucky this is the solution they chose, I know it sucks, I know y'all want to scream and should and be angry but the amount of work required to go situation by situation would be astronomical. Do you want to miss 2 or 3 days, or pretend eso is your job and demand they put your pens back exactly where you had them.

I'm very much going to be agitated at losing out on things like endeavor seals and log-in credits when I've very diligently acquired all of them to date, and unique event rewards that cannot be replaced, and will very much demand they find a way to compensate that. It wasn't a matter of me finding an exploit and knowingly using it to do anything. It wasn't me willfully attempting some underhanded move that breaks TOS. It was logging into the PTS for two minutes to look at a house.

Even beyond all of that and theoretical rewards I could (would) have picked up in the coming days, what about the gold I got from trader sales throughout the day? That was a significant amount of gold. How does that work when it's player-to-player transactions? What happens if I'm rolled back but the person who bought my stuff and paid me isn't? Will I still have that gold or at least have it waiting in my mail? Will I instead have a duplicate of the items for sale? There are some justifiably concerning inquiries to be made even beyond missed opportunities simply due to the nature of targeted rollbacks over a full server rollback.

Yes it's unfair and I'm sorry you miss out on a few days of rewards but this is a company, they're not omniscient they have no way of knowing what you were doing on the pts unless they open up your data.

And then if they open your data they're opening everyone's and scrutinizing everything they did for 2hour of gametime... and I think you see where the problem is. Again you be rolled back and wait 2 days, or be locked out for months while zos has everyone going account by account looking at all of their play data for 2 hours.

You hyper focused on my point of emphasis but not on any of my real points made. I don't expect them to comb through my account to see I was just on there for two minutes and not roll me back. It sure would have been nice if they did, but I can understand why they didn't. That was for emphasis of how extraordinarily unfair it feels to be in this situation; however, what's done is done and can't be changed there. What I'm concerned about is everything that's going to be lost out on through no fault of our own not because we aren't taking advantage of the opportunity for it but because the opportunity has been taken away from us but not other players.

It's not that I wouldn't get seals of endeavor - worth in-game items that otherwise would cost real world money to acquire in one way or another - for just not doing the endeavors... but because I straight up can't do them. I wouldn't lose out on tickets, log-ins, or event rewards because I just don't bother with them, but because I can't get to them. It isn't about everything being put back perfectly the way it was, it's about feeling burned by ZOS's own mess-up and expecting that they'll make it right at least in the ways that otherwise have no way of being made up for.

I can't just will more endeavors to do to make up for the lost 360-odd seals I earned before this all happened or any that I'll miss in the next few days. I can't just farm for an extra mount shard to make up for the one I lost today and any I'll miss out on in the next few days. Purple boxes? Whatever, I don't care. I can get more. Sure, maybe my RNG will be worse, or maybe better. I can deal with it. Nothing in those is irreplaceable or brand new. Log-ins, collectible shards, and seals are. Tickets and style pages (specifically the new ones limited to 1 a day) are at least limited in supply and availability. The former three I'm most concerned about along with the gold I made through guild traders. The latter two... I'd at least hope for ticket reimbursement, but I could work out a way to make up for it down the line in the event season.

And as I mentioned elsewhere, they might not be able to know for sure that someone would have logged in, done all of their endeavors, and gotten their event tickets and daily gold box for every single day... but some of us very much planned on doing exactly that and my point about only being on for 2 minutes was to emphasize how absolutely disheartening it is to lose out on all of that for doing absolutely nothing but logging in at the wrong time. Worst case you give those things to people who wouldn't have otherwise done so as compensation for multiple days with a locked account, and those of us who have made it a nigh-religious habit of earning those daily account rewards don't get burned by ZOS's mistake.
    Options
  • FabresFour
    FabresFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it's always important to remember. This Monday, we had a daily endeavor equivalent to 200 seals.

200 seals is what we get in 1 week of logging in.

So these are not "just some days missed", we lost the equivalent of a week, in a single day, due to an error on the part of the company that we are paying for as consumers.

Sorry, but this is revolting.
    @FabresFour - 2075 CP
    Director and creator of the unofficial translation of The Elder Scrolls Online into BR-Portuguese.
    Options
  • DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FabresFour wrote: »
    And it's always important to remember. This Monday, we had a daily endeavor equivalent to 200 seals.

So these are not "just some days missed", we lost the equivalent of a week, in a single day, due to an error on the part of the company that we are paying for as consumers.

Exactly. It would be one thing if it was a normal day, 10 here, 10 there. Annoying, frustrating in principle, but not nearly as bad of a sting. It's that we had a surprise 200 seals for a *daily.* As you said, it's the equivalent of a weekly. Poof, gone. I've also heard that apparently they're doing a similar thing for this next day where there's a 100 seal challenge for doing something with the Dark Brotherhood. Love missing out on that one too.
    Options
  • Aiphaton
    Aiphaton
    ✭✭✭✭

Usually Zenimax reimburse you if you open a ticket and write you did those Seals so you shouldnt worry to much about it.
    Yeah you might not be able to play for 2-3 days while they check the integrity of your account.
    But they have to give you a "weak" timeframe so they can check all accounts.
    Yes you might lose 9 Tickets of a Event but honestly its just 9 Tickets and a bit of free Loot.

More crucial is that Zenimax takes 3 days of your paid suscription away --> They should add those 3 days to your paid time.
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MoonPile wrote: »
    I’m sure we can raise a ticket after to request the tickets or seals. I’ve always had very good experience with Zos customer support.

@ZOS_Kevin , I’m sure you all have a lot going on but should folks contact customer service after the investigations are completed?

We'll have more info after we work through the next few steps to resolve this on our side. If you want to send a ticket to Customer Service, you can. Just know they will likely tell you the same thing published in our last update. You can also keep a note for now of what you would send to Customer Service. We'll follow up with next steps as soon as we can.

In my opinion, it would have been better to do a general rollback than this route. 2-3 days targeting your most active and devoted community members is not good PR. I hope you have plans to make those that didn't exploit whole from this.

even if the entire server lost a day of event and grinding, an event extension would have been better and easier. Just my feedback and two cents here. A lot of the players that try out the PTS are just going to be more reluctant to use it moving forward. Not that this will happen again, but precedent is a powerful tool.

All of this.

For now I don't want to assume anything. They have a lot to fix; the comms sent may be imperfect and incomplete.

But I'll echo: a ton of the people who logged into PTS first thing today are bound to be among the most loyal, active players:

I pre-ordered Gold Road, have the 10-year award on my forum account, the Imgakin monkey and haven't done anything nefarious in that time. Many of us put a lot of our time and creativity into our ESO creations and communities. Beyond our own missed rewards, many are also members of guilds that depend on us and our sales, during one of the most expensive times of the year for trader bids.

There were definitely a lot of us, now locked out, that share these traits. I can't imagine snubbing core members; it'd be yet another mess.

The problem is, what others like you seem to expect from a compensation is just not doable. Those things are theoretical values. What you definitely can and should expect is a compensation for lost tickets, endeavors and login rewards as those things can be measured/counted. Everything besides that simply cannot and therefore you cannot be compensated for that specifically. That’s where you most likely will get ESO+ or Crowns as compensation. They cannot compensate you for theoretical values of gold earned and random drops.

Mistakes like these happen, very rarely in ZOS case. They acted quickly, took both servers down and worked on this asap. This could have been way worse than it turns out to be now. It‘s unfair that PTS testers are locked out now, but some just need to calm down a little and don’t get agitated even more as they’ve not decided yet what the compensation will be. Maybe it will be pleasing in the end.
    Edited by Seraphayel on 16 April 2024 09:02
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't have time to log on to PTS yesterday, so I dodged this asteroid that ZOS have dropped on our Meta world.

I find this all quite shocking. Those affected have my deepest sympathy.

Needless to say, my PTS days are over.
    PC EU
    Options
  • FabresFour
    FabresFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. It would be one thing if it was a normal day, 10 here, 10 there. Annoying, frustrating in principle, but not nearly as bad of a sting. It's that we had a surprise 200 seals for a *daily.* As you said, it's the equivalent of a weekly. Poof, gone. I've also heard that apparently they're doing a similar thing for this next day where there's a 100 seal challenge for doing something with the Dark Brotherhood. Love missing out on that one too.

l0x230wruwgx.png

170 seals that we will lose... Really, Zenimax, we NEED some response to that.

We REALLY need.
    @FabresFour - 2075 CP
    Director and creator of the unofficial translation of The Elder Scrolls Online into BR-Portuguese.
    Options
  • licenturion
    licenturion
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am affected too. Can't login while my main characters are on EU only.

Punished for free beta testing and being a curious ESO fan.

I replied to support to see what they say. If I don't get compensated for those missed tickets, login rewards and endeavors I don't think I wont spend any money on this game ever again.

But I give them the benefit of the doubt. This is such a giant mistake they made they probably come up with something for those affected. One can hope...
    Edited by licenturion on 16 April 2024 09:10
    Options
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the rollback. 100% necessary. But the two to three day deactivation of the account...

I mean it's not labeled as a suspension but it is one...

Was in the running for Emperor on Blackreach... Not anymore...

And will we also be unable to log into the PTS because our accounts are deactivated? That's cool...

Would appreciate some compensation for the issue that was no fault of our own. Wouldn't even be and to post if this wasn't my Xbox account.
    Options
  • tom6143346
    tom6143346
    ✭✭
    I learned my lesson and deleted pts . I’m on the lucky side , tried to log into pts after they took it down. Fell sad for all that don’t that lucky
    Options
  • Bokila
    Bokila
    ✭✭✭
    Galiferno wrote: »
    Plus it's rolling back to before I got my tickets and juicy 200 seals

You also lost 100 seals from today's endeavour and probably tomorrow too
    Options
  • DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tom6143346 wrote: »
    I learned my lesson and deleted pts . I’m on the lucky side , tried to log into pts after they took it down. Fell sad for all that don’t that lucky

Hearing that from quite a few people, not just on the forums but across Discord servers too. ZOS had enough difficulty getting people to get on the PTS for actual testing purposes given their reputation (deserved or not) for ignoring PTS feedback and doing what they always planned to do anyway. Now? Good luck getting any usable data out of it when no one trusts it to not get them locked out of their account for days on end. I certainly won't be bothering with it if I can at all help it.
    Options
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    MoonPile wrote: »

All of this.

The problem is, what others like you seem to expect from a compensation is just not doable. Those things are theoretical values. What you definitely can and should expect is a compensation for lost tickets, endeavors and login rewards as those things can be measured/counted. Everything besides that simply cannot and therefore you cannot be compensated for that specifically. That’s where you most likely will get ESO+ or Crowns as compensation. They cannot compensate you for theoretical values of gold earned and random drops.

Mistakes like these happen, very rarely in ZOS case. They acted quickly, took both servers down and worked on this asap. This could have been way worse than it turns out to be now. It‘s unfair that PTS testers are locked out now, but some just need to calm down a little and don’t get agitated even more as they’ve not decided yet what the compensation will be. Maybe it will be pleasing in the end.

Personally, I think I said I wasn't really fussed and I'm not assuming anything right now nor expecting them to do specifics. I don't think that needs to be explained, at least to me. Crowns would be ok.

It is just important for them to come up with something that feels like a true goodwill gesture, that they value their core players.

Because this was such a dumb thing, comedic in ways... But this will affect some of the most active players who are putting a lot of $ into this and creating engagement, whose communities rely on them in various ways, and who'll thus also be affected even if they're not the ones locked out... 😬

What a mess.
    Options
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How does rolling back pts users only make any sense? There are people from the pts that logged in and started handing out items to players for free.

So people who didn't touch the pts are now sitting pretty with potentially millions worth of gold, items, crowns, what have you, with no rollback in sight.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to roll back EVERYONE? A clean slate? This is a PR nightmare that you think you can avoid by only doing the 0.001% of the playerbase who actually logged into the pts for that 30m and it's a mistake. You're choosing to throw us under the bus to save face.

How are you going to specifically compensate pts users with 3 days worth of play time, potentially 8h of farming they did on Apr 15th, 3 days of ESO plus, endeavours, daily logins, horse riding training, everything. The economy is going to be even worse on PC NA now.

Unacceptable and overly complex.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on 16 April 2024 09:43
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the very least, ZOS should extend the festival for another week to help compensate those who have lost play time.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • licenturion
    licenturion
    ✭✭✭✭
    How does rolling back pts users only make any sense? There are people from the pts that logged in and started handing out items to players for free.

So people who didn't touch the pts are now sitting pretty with potentially millions worth of gold, items, crowns, what have you, with no rollback in sight.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to roll back EVERYONE? A clean slate? This is a PR nightmare that you think you can avoid by only doing the 0.001% of the playerbase who actually logged into the pts for that 30m and it's a mistake. You're choosing to throw us under the bus to save face.

How are you going to specifically compensate pts users with 3 days worth of play time, potentially 8h of farming they did on Apr 15th, 3 days of ESO plus, endeavours, daily logins, horse riding training, everything. The economy is going to be even worse on PC NA now.

I am affected and blocked for 3 days and hope for a good resolution on ZOS their part.

But rolling back the entire ESO player base for hours of playtime over some in-game gold or illegal item transfers that probably maybe 0.001 percent of the players did before it went offline, would be extremely dumb during an anniversary event.

Now it will affect some people, but if you rollback everyone you basically wasted everyone's times. That would be an even greater PR disaster. And extending the event to grind some more of that lost time is not the solution we should be looking for. I just want the credits, confetti and endeavors credited to my account for the days I can't login.

I am affected and it is really meh, but I am happy that all the others don't get a rollback over this.
    Edited by licenturion on 16 April 2024 09:52
    Options
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    etical values of gold earned and random drops.

Even allowing production data to be accessible by development systems is a firing grade offence in most shops. As someone who works in IT it's difficult to convey just how big a screw up this is and how broken things must be internally for it to have happened.

Kudos to them for acting very promptly once they realized the mess and being open about how big a screw up they have made though.
    Too many toons not enough time
    Options
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully their logs will be good enough to identify those items and remove them, and also who handed them out like that and remove them from the game permanently too.
    Too many toons not enough time
    Options
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, not saying names but I know players who got traded a billion gold from pts templates from another account and they still have that money on the live server 🙃 I'm honestly shocked they didn't just roll back everyone, the economy could suffer from this screw up.
    Options
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭

These transactions are all trackable, there was already a precedent when people got millions of gold out of thin air due to a bug in a guild bidding system, and ZOS worked through those, so it will take time for them, but significant gold and item transfers would be rolled back.

I would say that I am very sad to see this happened, it is a very unlucky thing to happen both for ZOS and the community. Anyone who exploited this bug intentionally can't be called a gamer or a TES fan at all, due to all the damage it's going to do.
    Options
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, not saying names but I know players who got traded a billion gold from pts templates from another account and they still have that money on the live server 🙃 I'm honestly shocked they didn't just roll back everyone, the economy could suffer from this screw up.

If this is true and ZOS has no intention/capacity to track that down a revert it, then this is a colossal failure from ZOS.
    Options
  • licenturion
    licenturion
    ✭✭✭✭
    etical values of gold earned and random drops.

Even allowing production data to be accessible by development systems is a firing grade offence in most shops. As someone who works in IT it's difficult to convey just how big a screw up this is and how broken things must be internally for it to have happened.

Well since you work in IT also we know what probably happened :D

They went for the [snip] dev solution to copy characters from NA to PTS with a script and someone mixed up the connection string in the variables on top of the script between LIVE and PTS or forget to comment a line out after the copy.

In our environments at work we keep our test servers in a totally separate bubble and the test and live server can never interact with each other. We never feed test systems live customer data either cause data leaks and GDPR are a thing.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 16 April 2024 10:29
    Options
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!
    Ive been loyal for 10 years and just for viewing a new home I can't access my account. Wow!

Ya know this just might be the time I cut ties if nothing else is done to compensate.
    Options