The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Ranged vs Melee weapons

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
Hullo,

I am getting killed by ranged weapons! Need help!
Mostly because when I am using Sword n Shield, I can't block enough damage, and getting close, I am taking hits.

Stamplar here.

I wear heavy armor, and usually stand in my restoring focus circle until I can clearly charge the opponent. I guess there is no dodge ability with Heavy? Roll Dodge is expensive.
But ooh crushing shock really hurts, then add some status effects.

If I am lucky, I can get Spell Wall up - does this reflect ALL incoming projectiles or just one time? And been tossing Vampires Bane around to get my crit rating up.

Jabs really seems to extend my range which is a bit better - but not sure if it is range, just AOE. 8 meters vs 6 meters with a mace?

Or am I just not swinging soon enough?

Thoughts on how to deal with ranged weapons when you have a melee weapon in hand?

(other weapon is my resto staff, and yes, I power of the light, and LA, occasionally toss a javelin at them) but want help on melee weapons.

Tankz,

Z

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Go with Defensive Stance and bounce those projectiles back at them
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    noob here. Maybe my skillless experience can help - I recently changed to all medium and coward's, which gives major expedition 30% boost while sprinting. My survivability has in fact increased drastically.

HP is 37k when buffed. Resistance is low but the oakensoul ring and vigor gives me major + minor resolve = +9k resistance. Regen is more than 3k / 1.5k. Attack is probably very weak for you but I can keep sprinting, charging and spamming vigor. Unless CC'ed or attacked by more than one, there is usually no danger.

When someone shoots me, I either ignore him (one magic heal + one stamina heal), run away into stealth, or charge. Usually running faster than other groupmates and having higher health are enough :D

Having 2 heals on the front bar is one of the major factor for my improvements. With the ring I cannot have a backbar, but it simplifies combat and increases my (very slow) responsiveness, especially when I get hit in chaotic situations.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sword and Shield is one of best choices in PvP. Shield Charge closes gaps and stuns incredibly well. Plus Power Slam on a dedicated Bash setup is a real heavy hitter.
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If ranged skills are really driving you nuts, crystal slab on warden shuts them down. Plus, it’s a tanky/healy class.

No class execute or spammable (for pvp), but it might be a nice break from ranged spammers.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my Stamplar PvP build. It's a more bursty setup on the damage side, but has great survivability and likes to get up in players faces.
    iztka86o0gxn.png

Shielded Assault is really good IMO. Focused Charge is good too for Templar, but I find Shielded Assault to just be better since it costs Stam and the shield really pops your health back up and lets your HoTs recover.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Billium813 Thanks so much for sharing that build! Pretty slick!

Help me out here...I notice you have multiple sets, but none of them are full 5pc sets - so you don't get the bonus - why do you do that - I am guess the individual pieces give you enough?

I guess Fete and Balorgh are enough?

Tankz!
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    Help me out here...I notice you have multiple sets, but none of them are full 5pc sets - so you don't get the bonus - why do you do that - I am guess the individual pieces give you enough?

I have Unleashed Terror on the front bar and Wretched Vitality on the back bar. That means you only have one 5 piece set available at any one time, depending on what bar you're on.

When on your back bar, casting Restoring Focus will proc Wretched Vitality for both Major/Minor buff conditions for 15 seconds. That's because Restoring Focus gives Major Resolve and the Templar Sacred Ground passive gives Minor Mending.

When on you swap back to your front bar, that Wretched Vitality proc will keep ticking for the full 15 seconds. Now, you are on the offense with 2H. Stampede will proc Unleashed Terror. It essentially has no downtime as long as you Stampede every 10 seconds. Unleashed Terrordoes Bleed Damage too which also gives Hemorrhaging status effect, applying Minor Mangle, a useful debuff.

tldr;
    Swap to your back bar, activate all your HoTs, proc Wretched Vitality. Swap to your front bar, mark target with PotL, Stampede proc Unleashed Terror. Crescent Sweep + Jabs. Rinse repeat. Shielded Assault can be used to run in or just point blank as a stun + shield, pretty versatile. This setup used to be better before Jabs and PotL were nerfed... but its still ok and survivable. Lots of bar swapping though.
    Edited by Billium813 on 2 January 2024 05:14