Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

No DK nerfs?

• xXCJsniperXx7
    xXCJsniperXx7
    ✭✭
    Pvp bias much?
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JerBearESO wrote: »
    Stop suggesting removing the defense of corrosive. That's the core function of the ult. It just needs to actually corrode armor rather than immediately penetrate all. Make it have stacking armor shred ties to it's DoT, like 1k per tick, but make that debuff have a brief, maybe 3 second, duration. That way it provides shred, but can be counterplayed

No, it isn’t the core function of the ult. Nobody runs Magma Armor despite it doing the same thing defensively.

Corrosive Armor absolutely needs to have its defensive ability yeeted or it will continue to be a broken ultimate.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, its obscene that you are limited to around 3k damage on someone, while at the same time; they have a little auto fire ability that hits for 4k because you have no resist, and they whip you for 8K. And, you can try to get away but probably have to build for damage AND penetration so running as much speed as they might is more of a sacrifice.
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just fought a DK in triple proc that also used Elusive Mist to catch up to me.

A broken class that's also given a Sorc-like escape tool. How wonderful lol.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

• Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pvp bias much?

DK is top dog in pve too from what I understand, so no.
    StaticWave wrote: »
    Stop suggesting removing the defense of corrosive. That's the core function of the ult. It just needs to actually corrode armor rather than immediately penetrate all. Make it have stacking armor shred ties to it's DoT, like 1k per tick, but make that debuff have a brief, maybe 3 second, duration. That way it provides shred, but can be counterplayed

No, it isn’t the core function of the ult. Nobody runs Magma Armor despite it doing the same thing defensively.

Corrosive Armor absolutely needs to have its defensive ability yeeted or it will continue to be a broken ultimate.

100 percent. The only people defending the penetration as well as defense are people who are abusing it, and usually abuse op things
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DK's with permanent corrosive armour. High ult regain build. Enough is enough.
    Corrosive armor SHOULD NOT HAVE 3% HP CAP.
    Edited by techprince on 25 May 2023 11:59
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pvp bias much?

It’s weird, right? All these comments about combat on these forums, and pve usually seems like an afterthought at best.
  • xXCJsniperXx7
    xXCJsniperXx7
    ✭✭
    "Nerf nuke" is not the solution. It's buff the other classes to equalize to said highest performing class. Otherwise, as we know in this game, a new meta class (or anything realy) will arise and then nerfs will be requested for it. Rinse and repeat; no resolution.

In pvp, the real problem is tank meta and heal stacking. Any class in a good group comp can do this to. Not just DK and corrosive.
    Edited by xXCJsniperXx7 on 25 May 2023 20:08
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Nerf nuke" is not the solution. It's buff the other classes to equalize to said highest performing class. Otherwise, as we know in this game, a new meta class (or anything realy) will arise and then nerfs will be requested for it. Rinse and repeat; no resolution.

In pvp, the real problem is tank meta and heal stacking. Any class in a good group comp can do this to. Not just DK and corrosive.

Honestly I think this is best though-- to rotate through which classes are best. Online games need to keep people interested and I think the desire to occasionally play different classes, or try out recently changed skills, is what keeps it interesting.

No doubt new dungeons and overland zones keep it interesting too, but it is nice to have things spiced up from time that you don't have to pay for as well.

I think most of the complaints aren't really that DK is the strongest. A lot of people bemoaned the fact that DK had sucked and were glad that they became so strong. But since they top the charts now in every aspect of play I just think the general feeling is that their reign should be over.

So every patch that comes and goes it just seems weird, and obviously bothersome, to people that other classes are being arguably nerfed and DKs are untouched or even buffed.

And as for your last comment... Plenty of people will agree with you that heal stacking is a big problem. But let's not focus so much on large groups that we pretend balancing individual classes isn't important. There are more scenarios where heal stacking isn't a problem (or isn't possible,) than there are scenarios where it is. And DKs are lord of those realms moreso than the ballgroup realm. It behooves a ballgroup to include many classes into their mix. It behooves a solo player to be a DK, frankly.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    60% Damage boost to their spammable - DK's always were a DOT damage class. Giving them nightblade's Grim Focus skill on SPAMMABLE was a terrible idea. They already get 300 WD/SD and 30% snare due to their passives. There is no need to give them a 60% damage boost on their spammable. This made them hugely unbalanced both in PvE and PvP.

Major Berserk on Chains - To make this morph useful, they gave away one of the best damage buffs like a candy. This is not a good way to make any ability more appealing.

Coagulating Blood - Missing health modifier ALONG WITH BASE VALUE on an instant heal ability making the other morph inferior even for tanks. Seriously, even tanks use Coagulating Blood instead of Green Dragon Blood just because it heals for more.

Corrosive Armor - With little to no investment in penetration and recovery, they can sustain, tank and do damage all at once due to their Battle Roar passive. Corrosive Armor should not limit incoming damage. One morph for damage and one for defence. You shouldn't be combining both.
    Edited by techprince on 27 May 2023 11:25
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So instead of nerfing the most over performing class EVER, they should just spend countless hours bringing the others up? Hard pass.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »

Honestly I think this is best though-- to rotate through which classes are best. Online games need to keep people interested and I think the desire to occasionally play different classes, or try out recently changed skills, is what keeps it interesting.

No doubt new dungeons and overland zones keep it interesting too, but it is nice to have things spiced up from time that you don't have to pay for as well.

I think most of the complaints aren't really that DK is the strongest. A lot of people bemoaned the fact that DK had sucked and were glad that they became so strong. But since they top the charts now in every aspect of play I just think the general feeling is that their reign should be over.

So every patch that comes and goes it just seems weird, and obviously bothersome, to people that other classes are being arguably nerfed and DKs are untouched or even buffed.

And as for your last comment... Plenty of people will agree with you that heal stacking is a big problem. But let's not focus so much on large groups that we pretend balancing individual classes isn't important. There are more scenarios where heal stacking isn't a problem (or isn't possible,) than there are scenarios where it is. And DKs are lord of those realms moreso than the ballgroup realm. It behooves a ballgroup to include many classes into their mix. It behooves a solo player to be a DK, frankly.

FoTM ideology is toxic at its core, I dont want that, nor does really anyone else, want to touch that with a ten foot pole.
  • Kordai
    Kordai
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm kinda surprised they let this go on for as long as they have. Pretty much everybody is just going dk. They have some of the best tankiness, sustain and sustained damage.
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Continue to be broken? This ability was working similarly for years and it's only recently when everyone complains about it. There was even a time it worked for direct dmg and DoTs. Corrosive was the core of stam DK identity for long years now.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Galeriano wrote: »

Continue to be broken? This ability was working similarly for years and it's only recently when everyone complains about it. There was even a time it worked for direct dmg and DoTs. Corrosive was the core of stam DK identity for long years now.

This was before FoO granted major savagery or hit 3 people. Before whip built stacks for more damage. Before charged trait got buffed at the same time as the combustion passive. Before Oakensoul happened and, even after it got nerfed, every DK became a walking Ult battery.

If you want DK nerfed in other ways instead... Then so be it. But if your viewpoint is that DKs are fine and so is Corrosive then I think you need to focus less on what DK used to be or do and take a long look at what they're doing now.
  • JerBearESO
    JerBearESO
    ✭✭✭✭

That's a good point. What made it op recently? I know people are running Perma corrosive recently, but I don't recall that ever being a thing before.... So ult gen access?

It needs to be treated like a transform where you cannot get ult while it's active
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭
    One reason why corrosive armor is strong could also be that players have more resistence after eso added markyn ring(2,2k) and minor resolve(3k) to vigor, while most DKs are using nirnhorned+charged dual wield weapons insteat of sharpened maul and medium(even on magdk) or heavy armor with only 1 piece light armor, so they have much lower penetration than their enemy has resistence and have to invest a lot in penetration.
    If you use heavy/medium armor, engulfing flames and swords/axes(or daggers) you have almost 0 penetration(1k from 1 light, 700 by cp). If you use maces(3k), noxious breath(major breach) and absorb stamina glyph(minor breach) you get to 5k penetration 9k armor reduce, when most players run around with 30k armor, so you still miss 16k.
    When Stamina DKs used sharpened maul(7k penetration) and players had only 25k resistance, you only missed 7-10k penetration, with stuhn you had almost full penetration and there was no reason to even use corrosive.
    Also dk dots got nerfed, so most of dks dmg is direct dmg now.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Just came in here and read the last few pages. You can really tell something is something this game when it's on live and pretty much all the posts agree.

At this point it's just laughable how overtuned the DK is right now and then they go and add another buff *scratches head*.

I can't even with you right now ZOS, I just can't even :D

Mine has barely enough skill points to function, and I still overperform in Whitestrakes.

Plain jane, masters 2H, plaguebreak, dark convergence, oakensoul and spamming brawler and corrosive.

All made possible by proc sets tha play the game for you.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jammy420 wrote: »

FoTM ideology is toxic at its core, I dont want that, nor does really anyone else, want to touch that with a ten foot pole.

Same. I have at least one character of each class but I currently play my DK less in PvP because going into a BG where 8 out of 12 players are on DK is cringe.
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good point. What made it op recently? I know people are running Perma corrosive recently, but I don't recall that ever being a thing before.... So ult gen access?

It needs to be treated like a transform where you cannot get ult while it's active

Ulti gen also didn't recived many changes. Core thigs used to generate ultimate right now on DK like bloodspawn or daedric trickery exists in the game for years. Only buff to ulti gen can be a heroism potion but that is used only by a small minority of players who can afford running with it.

People right now notice existance of corrosive more than before because DK benefited from many changes ZoS made to the game to the point his dmg is high enough for people to notice. In the past DK's spammable of choice with corrosive active was hitting for like 5-6k at best and that is with crit now 5k can be a base value with no crit. Corrosive now also lasts almost 2 seconds longer which gives a DK slightly more wiggle room.\\

And if You ask what made DK's damage higher than before, there are many factors to that some connected to direct DK buffs but many came passively through changes done to the game throughout years. Almost everyone is now stage 3 vampire for undeath passive but that gives Dk an upper hand since he have lots of flame dmg at his disposal. Charged trait was significantly buffed which made combustion passive way better in both sustain and dmg departaments and since combustion restorwes both magicka and stamina it aligned pretty well with hybrydisation which allowed DK to create way more coherent toolits than before. There were also many itemization changes for example sea serpent coil mthic is a great option for a Dk since as low mobility class anyway he doesn;t loose that much from mythic drawnback but additional dmg buff from the mythic combined with mentioned fact that everyone is vampire allows Dk to build way more tankiness since his dmg is compensated elsewhere.
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This was before FoO granted major savagery or hit 3 people. Before whip built stacks for more damage. Before charged trait got buffed at the same time as the combustion passive. Before Oakensoul happened and, even after it got nerfed, every DK became a walking Ult battery.

If you want DK nerfed in other ways instead... Then so be it. But if your viewpoint is that DKs are fine and so is Corrosive then I think you need to focus less on what DK used to be or do and take a long look at what they're doing now.

Actually combution passive right now is weaker than before ZoS started made changes to it. Before ZoS started tweaking values it was 500 mag/stam with no cooldown now it ended up with 1k mag/stam with 3 sec cooldown which is a nerf. But considering that it's way easier now to proc status effects right now due to charged trait buff that nerf is not noticable. Imagine Dk's sustain if it remained 500 with no cooldown.

As for ulti gen not much have changed in that regard. Bloodspawn and daedric trickery were in the game for years. it's other things like vampire changes and new sets that allowed DK to build more raw dmg so now they can invest more into ulti gen.

Yes DK got nice buff to FoO hitting 3 targets although it was always giving major prophecy and than ZoS just unified every skill to give both after they made skills to scale from higher stat anyway so it's really not a big difference wheter it would or wouldn't have savagery. If it wouldn't You would just still have spell crit to scale Your dmg from.

Whip was pretty decent change but I think everyone can agree that before it was buffed DK was in a extremly sorry state due to not having any source of burst dmg so it was a neccesary buff.

I am not saying that Dk is fine. I am saying that it's not a corrosive that is an issue.
    Edited by Galeriano on 1 June 2023 17:48
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Corrosive Armor was broken, that's why it got nerfed in the past. It used to give ALL DoTs full penetration until ZoS removed that aspect of the ultimate and only allowed the penetration to affect direct damage and its built-in DoT.

Corrosive was definitely not the core of stam DK. When you talked about DK PvP, you would envision fat 15k Take Flights sending people through the air. It's way more exciting and rewarding than popping a get out of jail button.

Corrosive will continue to be a crutch ultimate unless ZoS removed the defensive aspect of it. As I've said it multiple times, nobody is using Magma Armor when Corrosive is just better. Corrosive is Magma Armor + a better version of Onslaught combined, a 2 in 1 ability. The next similar ultimate is Northern Storm, and it is not even close to be as good as Corrosive Armor despite having the same cost.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

• StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And believe it or not, being Vamp 3 is actually better against DKs than not being Vamp 3 because of how the scaling works. I forgot what patch it was, but ZoS changed the scaling to start from 100% HP instead of at 50% HP. This means that at 100% HP you will receive no mitigation from Undeath, and every 1% of missing health your mitigation will increase until it reaches 30% at 0% HP. This mitigation is applied linearly. You take 13% extra flame damage as a Vamp 3. In order for Undeath to cancel out the extra flame damage taken, you would have to sit at ~57% HP or so. After 57% HP, you will take LESS damage from DKs.

DKs will still eat through someone with Undeath though, but against someone without it DKs will eat through even faster lol.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:

• OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually combution passive right now is weaker than before ZoS started made changes to it. Before ZoS started tweaking values it was 500 mag/stam with no cooldown now it ended up with 1k mag/stam with 3 sec cooldown which is a nerf. But considering that it's way easier now to proc status effects right now due to charged trait buff that nerf is not noticable. Imagine Dk's sustain if it remained 500 with no cooldown.

As for ulti gen not much have changed in that regard. Bloodspawn and daedric trickery were in the game for years. it's other things like vampire changes and new sets that allowed DK to build more raw dmg so now they can invest more into ulti gen.

Yes DK got nice buff to FoO hitting 3 targets although it was always giving major prophecy and than ZoS just unified every skill to give both after they made skills to scale from higher stat anyway so it's really not a big difference wheter it would or wouldn't have savagery. If it wouldn't You would just still have spell crit to scale Your dmg from.

Whip was pretty decent change but I think everyone can agree that before it was buffed DK was in a extremly sorry state due to not having any source of burst dmg so it was a neccesary buff.

I am not saying that Dk is fine. I am saying that it's not a corrosive that is an issue.

Yes, you're pretty much right about all that. But the point is still ultimately the same. Nobody cared or noticed that Corrosive was OP when it belonged to a crap class. Now that DKs are the best... It matters.

Corrosive isn't THE reason why DKs are strong. But it is too strong for such a strong class to have, if that makes sense.

I play my Ravenwatch DK in battlegrounds and do well. He's wearing Mighty Chudan, Ancient Dragonguard, and Shalks. It's not even a good set-up for RW, to be honest, but I'm lazy and it's a DK so... Good times. I could tell you my ability bars for an even bigger laugh but that's probably more than matters.

Nope, can't help myself, I'll give you the short version. I use Igneous Weapons for major brutality. I use wrecking blow as my spammable and whip isn't even on my bar. Nor is Corrosive. Nor am I a vampire. Slow AF also... Not using any sources of major expedition.

It's just way stronger than it should be because I put zero effort or thought into it.

And, not that every match I get is high mmr, but I am high mmr. I'm competing against decent players every game. I wouldn't say I run around unopposed or anything-- I die sometimes-- but the only times I'm EVER consciously thinking, "uh oh, need a plan B, not gonna beat this person," it's a better DK than my own.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One day every class will be nerfed and mudcrabs will take over and Tamriel will just be run by crabs.
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One day every class will be nerfed and mudcrabs will take over and Tamriel will just be run by crabs.

that's why My DK is friend with a mudcrab pet.
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Corrosive Armor was broken, that's why it got nerfed in the past. It used to give ALL DoTs full penetration until ZoS removed that aspect of the ultimate and only allowed the penetration to affect direct damage and its built-in DoT.

Corrosive was definitely not the core of stam DK. When you talked about DK PvP, you would envision fat 15k Take Flights sending people through the air. It's way more exciting and rewarding than popping a get out of jail button.

Corrosive will continue to be a crutch ultimate unless ZoS removed the defensive aspect of it. As I've said it multiple times, nobody is using Magma Armor when Corrosive is just better. Corrosive is Magma Armor + a better version of Onslaught combined, a 2 in 1 ability. The next similar ultimate is Northern Storm, and it is not even close to be as good as Corrosive Armor despite having the same cost.

Yes and it should remain more like Northern Storm than the fatuous Onslaught that nobody uses. That's where our long debate about this matter dropped off: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/608013/corrosive-armor-needs-a-nerf

Yes, Corrosive was part of the core identity for PvP StamDK because Take Flight wasn't conspicuously different than Ferocious Leap, and as you imply MagDKs didn't run Magma, they ran Ferocious and Standard. In some way with this comment you attest to the fact that I and other old sDKs have made: we used Corrosive mostly as a defensive crutch, not the basis of our offensive scheme, and this was part of our unique identity in PvP compared to mDK. We mostly used it offensively in 1v1s against a class that would otherwise block our Leap and out Dizzy Swing us - like StamSorc. So most people really didn't notice it, and it comes as no surprise that you're maybe the only commenter saying it's always been OP. Against StamSorcs in particular yes I agree, it was always OP, but it was pretty much all we had.

It should remain a defensive crutch Ult, it was always the theme of the Ult. Better to lose the Max Pen, and something more interesting happen with the Poison AoE. Like @JerBearESO said, an armor shredding mechanic, or something like that, some sort of debuff rather than the OP offensive buff it has.

Granted my perspective is terribly restricted by an obsessive thematicism, but anyhow, good to see others share it. I suspect also that all old sDKs will agree the class needs to be brought back to Nirn - but not dragged through the dirt.

Edited by Urzigurumash on 2 June 2023 03:45
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Bring on our new mudcrab overlords
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lol. Corrosive is an issue.No skill in the game even comes close to what that skill offers. You do not have to put a single point into penetration, and even if you are only in a duo, you can easily always have it up, making the class the most powerful by a mile.

With my necro I can hold my own against everything except a good dk right now, they just shred me to pieces no matter how much resists or protection modifiers I have going. It is absolutely unacceptable.
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are kinda mixing the timelines. When corrosive recived a nerf to only affect direct damage it was after first reciving a massive buff. Initially it was increasing only physical penetration so including DoTs ascaling from it, then ZOS expanded it into all dmg which was a bit too much so they removed DoT part because DoT meta was also running rampant during that time. At the end of the day it was still a buff, yet back than DK with corrosive was not that complained about as it is right now. This came later with changes like hybridisation, adding new items to the game and basically forcing PvP scene to run as vampires.

Corrosive was a core of stam DK identity same as take flight. One was used to nuke more squishy targets other to brawl in some 1vX under the pressure or to melt a bit some toyugher opponents. And bgoth ultimates had times when they were replaced by othewr options like s&b ulti or DBoS but it doesn't change a fact they were always a option worth considering.

You really don;t need to touch corrosive to make DK less effective. Just removing or reworking undeath passive the way people woulnd't be sitting at stage 3 of vampirism would already make DK noticably weaker and it would also make tanky meta less prominent. Yes barely anyone is using magma because corrosive is better suited for PvP, this is happening for many morphs of abilitities.