The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I don't like oakensoul, but it should be buffed

• Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oakensoul was properly nerfed and doesn't need to be buffed at all.

Heavy attack builds existed long before Oakensoul or the empower buff. However, damage has been nerfed to such a degree that empower is the only thing keeping heavy attack builds functional. (Used to be able to do decent damage with a heavy attack build without empower).

Even when someone has a perfect rotation, damage from skills tend to fall short in comparison to light and heavy attacks.

My hot take is that the entire combat system needs to be reworked so skills do significantly more damage than light and heavy attacks, but such a change is unrealistic for a game this far along in its life cycle.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oakensoul

Minor Berserk, Minor Courage, Major Brutality, Major Sorcery, Major Prophecy, Major Savagery, Minor Force, Minor Protection, Major Resolve, Minor Mending, Minor Fortitude, Minor Intellect, Minor Endurance, Minor Heroism, Minor Slayer, Minor Aegis, and Empower.
    • Minor Berserk - This basically accounts for Camo Hunter and since you are losing a bar, seems fair to get this one. Combat Prayer also gives it if you have a competent Healer, but many players source it themselves since Healers can be unreliable.
    • Minor Courage - Not sure why this buff is here... this is rarely accessible from skill sources and even then only for NBs. It's more of a set bonus item given out to the group, not sourced BY THE PLAYER specifically. Perhaps this WD/SD could be considered comparable to a backbar Weapon Damage Enchant proc? Hmm, I could see this buff as being OK with that consideration. Unfortunate that it has to be a named buff since an un-named WD/SD buff would make more sense to me.
    • Major Brutality, Major Sorcery, Major Prophecy, Major Savagery - These seem entirely fine. They are very common, with tons of skill sources, accessible by most classes AND sourced by the player. Seems fair that 100% uptime is given with the tradeoff that specific skills aren't needed to get these.
    • Minor Force - Ok, so this is basically a replacement for Barbed Trap. Typically players don't get to run Barbed Trap AND Camo Hunter... but Minor Berserk is already kinda redundant in with a good healer... Seems a bit excessive; pushing Oakensoul away from top tier, but making it stronger in the mid tier... sus on this one.
    • Minor Protection - Ok, so this is more of a replacement for Bound Armor, Bone Totem, Circle of Protection (for newer players), maybe Ice Fortress... even a bit redundant with Templars Spear Wall passive. I'm ok with this one. Lots of classes have access to this buff, sourced from skills they can no longer fit, and 100% uptime seems like a decent benefit here
    • Major Resolve - Seems like a replacement for DKs Spiked Armor, Templar Rune Focus, Lightning Form, Bone Armor, and Frost Cloak. Again, lots of classes have access to this one, usually sourced from skills that the user no longer needs to use, so it may be ok for now.
    • Minor Mending - Not sure why this one is here... this is rarely accessible from skill sources and even then only for NBs. It's rather rare in its availability at all, mostly being allocated to 5 piece set bonuses or limited usage. The 100% uptime here is rather strong given where players could get this otherwise.
    • Minor Fortitude, Minor Intellect, Minor Endurance - Again, these seem a bit out of place. These are primarily only accessible to Templar and Warden, and even there they are shared buffs, given out to the group; IOW, not sourced BY THE PLAYER for their exclusive use. This gives Oakensoul much better solo play (which is fine), while also making classes that give these buffs kind of redundant in higher level play, if many Oakensoul users are in the group. May be a step too far but it depends on the group size I think.
    • Minor Heroism - Not sure what this one is doing here; this is yet another "rare" buff primarily obtained from 5 piece set bonuses or Heroic Slash. I can understand that an Oakensoul Tank can now drop Heroic Slash as an upside. But Heroism is not unimportant to other roles that can run Oakensoul and those roles also get 100% uptime on this buff they otherwise would not have access to at all; even from skills! Seems like total overkill.
    • Minor Slayer, Minor Aegis - This is only a replacement for Trial gear set bonuses. This does sound nice given that Oakensoul is going to limit the players access to sets. In non-Trial content like Arenas and Dungeons, it will make Oakensoul more formidable, giving players access to buffs they otherwise would not have, unless they first farmed the harder Trial content first. Seems more applicable to helping out new players.
    • Empower - This is a rather widely accessible buff. Many classes have access to it and with only 1 bar, it makes sense that players wouldn't need to run skills to get access to it. However, looking at the access to Empower, you see that most of the time, the duration is severely limited. Oakensoul gives 100% uptime; no need to burn an action or waste time sourcing it. That being said, Empower is ONLY for HAs... so it isn't really that beneficial to players not taking advantage of it. That would kind of seem like it balances out... HOWEVER, for dedicated HA builds, its a serious advantage to have 100% uptime on +80% damage!

The take aways are:
    1. Oakensoul is blending roles access to specific buffs. Traditional Tank skill buffs are now going to users that may be DPS. Healer abilities are now getting access by Tanks. That can be fine, but it should be considered a positive attribute of Oakensoul. Especially when traditional DPS skill buffs are not lacking as a tradeoff and even traditional support buffs (Heroism, Intellect, Endurance) are still highly applicable to DPS roles. IOW, it's all upside. Also, this makes me feel like Oakensoul is meant for more solo play, but that's just a feeling.
    2. There also seemed to be a major focus on higher end gameplay with Oakensoul. Many of the buffs provided are indeed redundant in high level game play like Trials, leading to a natural ceiling in high level gameplay. But those same buffs are rather rare in the mid level gameplay, like vet dungeons that are restricted to only 4 players. I think this makes Oakensoul a natural predator in small group content while being rather redundant and mild in large group content. Something we previously saw with Ring of the Pale Order before group size was incorporated... But more over, Oakensoul is only redundant because of the support bonuses. When group composition utilizing Oakensoul reaches critical mass, then support goes and does something else, making Oakensoul no longer redundant! A strong, attributed to well coordinated, high level groups AND solo/small groups.
    3. Looking at all the buffs available, I count at least 7-8 skills being replaced by Oakensoul; far more than a single bar can account for. Then, there are the 5 piece set bonuses thrown on top and Oakensoul seem to feel like it's a bit overloaded given it's intention. That being said, the lack of a second bar should also be a DPS drop, as well as losing other unique buffs from Skills. It's a balancing act for sure.
    4. Empower is such a weird buff. The builds that care about it, love it and need it. But the builds that don't use HAs, get absolutely nothing from having it. This is unique amongst all the buffs here! Every other buff is entirely relevant regardless of how you use Oakensoul, except for Empower. I get that without it, 1 bar builds would have to take a skill slot to gain access to Empower and Oakensoul is easing that pressure since they only have 5 skills to play with! But... it's such a niche buff that it almost feels like niche builds (like HA builds) should be sourcing that themselves.

My conclusion:

I think Oakensoul should have Minor Heroism & Minor Mending removed. They are not generally sourced through skills, are not generally accessible to multiple classes, and are commonly sourced from group shared buffs. I would also advocate for Minor Fortitude/Intellect/Endurance to be removed too as I think it hurts support roles as well as being minor buffs not readily accessible by most classes, for individual player usage; they are traditionally group buffs.
    Also, I think Empower should either be removed from Oakensoul, or maybe reduced to +40%. The 100% uptime is exceedingly strong for those builds that can take advantage of it. Other builds using Oakensoul see no benefit at all from Empower, so it's really a niche buff. I don't see the necessity for Oakensoul to hand out a niche buff like Empower and feel that Oakensoul should have more universally applicable buffs.

ALTERNATIVELY, and possibly better IMO, I could see Oakensoul going the same way as Ring of the Pale Order. Based on the group size of the player, different minor buffs could become active/de-active. Buffs like Minor Fortitude/Intellect/Endurance & Minor Berserk make way more sense for solo or small group play, but become redundant in large groups to the point of harming support. Buffs like Minor Slayer, Minor Aegis and Minor Force make more sense to be enabled in large groups, being buffs targeted at Trial sets and streamlined min/max builds.
    Edited by Billium813 on 28 March 2023 16:17
  • Trundik
    Trundik
    ✭✭✭
    Ring shouldn't be buffed its strong enough. But I dislike here another things.

1st thing: templar rly is single class, who can make proper heavy attack builds without a ring, just because his solar barrage does damage and grants empower for long 20 second, while rest possible class skill are very short or very weak, or very both. I can't see any logical reason why heavy attack build are locked for only templars, if you don't have ring or don't want to use it.

2nd thing is that ESO is lame itself. It is lame itself because devs don't care about old content. For example, there is nice Maarselok set, which should do decent damage on heavy attack proc. But WHY the hell it requires melee heavy attack? Do you see anybody who use melee heavy attack? No? NO! Because only restoration staff and lightning staff are viable for HA builds. Who needs empower on uppercut? Oops noone need it again, but in case someone is excited just forget it because 5 second duration!

I want to use poison damage set, but there is zero poison damage sets, that do damage? Why? Because noone cares about poison damage sets since Skyrim. Anyone can check and see that there is nothing non-trial comparable with pillar of nirn, poison or whatever else. Any poison damage sets is far less effective, any another set too, well maybe except unleashed terror for WWs in certain case. Anyway game have 100500 dungeons, 300000000 overland sets and ZERO of them even comparable to pillar of nirn for 99% builds. Well, runecarver is, but its new and good not for all, may be nerfed soon tho..

I can continue to write this little nails to gameplay coffin like forever... Once I played Guild wars game (1st one).
    There you had 100 skills to combine whatever you like. It was best horizontal building I ever met and it still is. But ESO have vertical building and it is a waste. WoW had same, then they realize characters do to much damage in pvp and introduced resilence. Last year ESO devs realized same thing - to much damage. Guess why? Right, because vertical building, when new content always does more damage. Make alternatives please! Building its not about to buy your latest trading goods, guys.
  • Quethrosar
    Quethrosar
    ✭✭✭✭
    they already nerfed it, move on !
    more energy should be put into fixing sorcerers so you can be meta without pets too.
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billium813 wrote: »
    Oakensoul

Minor Berserk, Minor Courage, Major Brutality, Major Sorcery, Major Prophecy, Major Savagery, Minor Force, Minor Protection, Major Resolve, Minor Mending, Minor Fortitude, Minor Intellect, Minor Endurance, Minor Heroism, Minor Slayer, Minor Aegis, and Empower.
    • Minor Berserk - This basically accounts for Camo Hunter and since you are losing a bar, seems fair to get this one. Combat Prayer also gives it if you have a competent Healer, but many players source it themselves since Healers can be unreliable.
    • Minor Courage - Not sure why this buff is here... this is rarely accessible from skill sources and even then only for NBs. It's more of a set bonus item given out to the group, not sourced BY THE PLAYER specifically. Perhaps this WD/SD could be considered comparable to a backbar Weapon Damage Enchant proc? Hmm, I could see this buff as being OK with that consideration. Unfortunate that it has to be a named buff since an un-named WD/SD buff would make more sense to me.
    • Major Brutality, Major Sorcery, Major Prophecy, Major Savagery - These seem entirely fine. They are very common, with tons of skill sources, accessible by most classes AND sourced by the player. Seems fair that 100% uptime is given with the tradeoff that specific skills aren't needed to get these.
    • Minor Force - Ok, so this is basically a replacement for Barbed Trap. Typically players don't get to run Barbed Trap AND Camo Hunter... but Minor Berserk is already kinda redundant in with a good healer... Seems a bit excessive; pushing Oakensoul away from top tier, but making it stronger in the mid tier... sus on this one.
    • Minor Protection - Ok, so this is more of a replacement for Bound Armor, Bone Totem, Circle of Protection (for newer players), maybe Ice Fortress... even a bit redundant with Templars Spear Wall passive. I'm ok with this one. Lots of classes have access to this buff, sourced from skills they can no longer fit, and 100% uptime seems like a decent benefit here
    • Major Resolve - Seems like a replacement for DKs Spiked Armor, Templar Rune Focus, Lightning Form, Bone Armor, and Frost Cloak. Again, lots of classes have access to this one, usually sourced from skills that the user no longer needs to use, so it may be ok for now.
    • Minor Mending - Not sure why this one is here... this is rarely accessible from skill sources and even then only for NBs. It's rather rare in its availability at all, mostly being allocated to 5 piece set bonuses or limited usage. The 100% uptime here is rather strong given where players could get this otherwise.
    • Minor Fortitude, Minor Intellect, Minor Endurance - Again, these seem a bit out of place. These are primarily only accessible to Templar and Warden, and even there they are shared buffs, given out to the group; IOW, not sourced BY THE PLAYER for their exclusive use. This gives Oakensoul much better solo play (which is fine), while also making classes that give these buffs kind of redundant in higher level play, if many Oakensoul users are in the group. May be a step too far but it depends on the group size I think.
    • Minor Heroism - Not sure what this one is doing here; this is yet another "rare" buff primarily obtained from 5 piece set bonuses or Heroic Slash. I can understand that an Oakensoul Tank can now drop Heroic Slash as an upside. But Heroism is not unimportant to other roles that can run Oakensoul and those roles also get 100% uptime on this buff they otherwise would not have access to at all; even from skills! Seems like total overkill.
    • Minor Slayer, Minor Aegis - This is only a replacement for Trial gear set bonuses. This does sound nice given that Oakensoul is going to limit the players access to sets. In non-Trial content like Arenas and Dungeons, it will make Oakensoul more formidable, giving players access to buffs they otherwise would not have, unless they first farmed the harder Trial content first. Seems more applicable to helping out new players.
    • Empower - This is a rather widely accessible buff. Many classes have access to it and with only 1 bar, it makes sense that players wouldn't need to run skills to get access to it. However, looking at the access to Empower, you see that most of the time, the duration is severely limited. Oakensoul gives 100% uptime; no need to burn an action or waste time sourcing it. That being said, Empower is ONLY for HAs... so it isn't really that beneficial to players not taking advantage of it. That would kind of seem like it balances out... HOWEVER, for dedicated HA builds, its a serious advantage to have 100% uptime on +80% damage!

The take aways are:
    1. Oakensoul is blending roles access to specific buffs. Traditional Tank skill buffs are now going to users that may be DPS. Healer abilities are now getting access by Tanks. That can be fine, but it should be considered a positive attribute of Oakensoul. Especially when traditional DPS skill buffs are not lacking as a tradeoff and even traditional support buffs (Heroism, Intellect, Endurance) are still highly applicable to DPS roles. IOW, it's all upside. Also, this makes me feel like Oakensoul is meant for more solo play, but that's just a feeling.
    2. There also seemed to be a major focus on higher end gameplay with Oakensoul. Many of the buffs provided are indeed redundant in high level game play like Trials, leading to a natural ceiling in high level gameplay. But those same buffs are rather rare in the mid level gameplay, like vet dungeons that are restricted to only 4 players. I think this makes Oakensoul a natural predator in small group content while being rather redundant and mild in large group content. Something we previously saw with Ring of the Pale Order before group size was incorporated... But more over, Oakensoul is only redundant because of the support bonuses. When group composition utilizing Oakensoul reaches critical mass, then support goes and does something else, making Oakensoul no longer redundant! A strong, attributed to well coordinated, high level groups AND solo/small groups.
    3. Looking at all the buffs available, I count at least 7-8 skills being replaced by Oakensoul; far more than a single bar can account for. Then, there are the 5 piece set bonuses thrown on top and Oakensoul seem to feel like it's a bit overloaded given it's intention. That being said, the lack of a second bar should also be a DPS drop, as well as losing other unique buffs from Skills. It's a balancing act for sure.
    4. Empower is such a weird buff. The builds that care about it, love it and need it. But the builds that don't use HAs, get absolutely nothing from having it. This is unique amongst all the buffs here! Every other buff is entirely relevant regardless of how you use Oakensoul, except for Empower. I get that without it, 1 bar builds would have to take a skill slot to gain access to Empower and Oakensoul is easing that pressure since they only have 5 skills to play with! But... it's such a niche buff that it almost feels like niche builds (like HA builds) should be sourcing that themselves.

My conclusion:

I think Oakensoul should have Minor Heroism & Minor Mending removed. They are not generally sourced through skills, are not generally accessible to multiple classes, and are commonly sourced from group shared buffs. I would also advocate for Minor Fortitude/Intellect/Endurance to be removed too as I think it hurts support roles as well as being minor buffs not readily accessible by most classes, for individual player usage; they are traditionally group buffs.
    Also, I think Empower should either be removed from Oakensoul, or maybe reduced to +40%. The 100% uptime is exceedingly strong for those builds that can take advantage of it. Other builds using Oakensoul see no benefit at all from Empower, so it's really a niche buff. I don't see the necessity for Oakensoul to hand out a niche buff like Empower and feel that Oakensoul should have more universally applicable buffs.

ALTERNATIVELY, and possibly better IMO, I could see Oakensoul going the same way as Ring of the Pale Order. Based on the group size of the player, different minor buffs could become active/de-active. Buffs like Minor Fortitude/Intellect/Endurance & Minor Berserk make way more sense for solo or small group play, but become redundant in large groups to the point of harming support. Buffs like Minor Slayer, Minor Aegis and Minor Force make more sense to be enabled in large groups, being buffs targeted at Trial sets and streamlined min/max builds.

I will add one thing - Queen's Elegance Armor, from Auridon can give you the equivalent of 100% uptime on Empower... and as a light set, also boosts crit and Penetration, due to those passives.
    Anytime you do damage, it procs for 3 seconds, but can also proc once a second, so as long as you continue to do damage, you get it. Which, heavy attacks do.....

In my experience, both using it, and NOT using it --- the problem seems more in the way that Lightning and Restoration staves work. In that each pulse gives a chance at crit, etc.....
    Without Oakensoul, I was using Critical Surge to get the 20% damage, and looking at my logs, I see that 3300 healing from crits hitting EVERY second throughout fights..... and I had a 60% chance to crit, so it is most likely hitting that on each pulse, rather than the attack, as a whole, which is what shows with Flame Staff, Ice Staff, 2-Handed, and Duel Wield.
    When I switched it over to the Restoration Staff, I got both the 3300 every second, and the Passive healing from the restoration line every other second....
    That made me a LOT more tanky, than even base Oakensoul, as I was healing for more than I could lose, constantly, and as an Imperial, I am sitting with 31K health, with my Undaunted passives, as well as racial ones.

Even things that were normally, one shot kills weren't really stopping me, as I'd be up so fast, I didn't have to worry.
    This got even more obvious, when I swapped my second armor sets around, such as those that proc on overhealing, or those that do area blasts based on me initiating damage.... I came, several times, within 70% of my cleave damage, with that restoration staff......

I honestly believe the issue is in how the pulses are being calculated, as I had my HA build a year before High Isle existed.... and even then, Lightning dominated over all others.....

I do like the idea of the Pale Order Treatment, and will second the removal of Heroism and Mending...... there are plenty of sources for mending in other skills and sets, and I would like to see the game move past the idea that there are only 4 best sets, and the rest are trash.
    I'd even support combining those - remove those 2 buffs, and do the Pale Order treatment where the defensive ones drop.
    At that point, it is an accessability option, and can be matched by a dual bar design, with identical skills on both, as long as you slot something that gives Brutality, like Crit Surge, Igneous Weapon, etc.... and empower, which any person can get from the mages guild, or Queens Elegance. If you go for any of the Magelight skills, you also get Savagery, and that just makes your crits more numerous.

In the end, I think the true issue is in how the pulses are being seen by the code, and proccing issues from that.....

Auldwulfe
    Edited by Auldwulfe on 29 March 2023 19:57
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auldwulfe wrote: »
    Oakensoul

The take aways are:

My conclusion:

I honestly believe the issue is in how the pulses are being calculated, as I had my HA build a year before High Isle existed.... and even then, Lightning dominated over all others.....

In the end, I think the true issue is in how the pulses are being seen by the code, and proccing issues from that.....

That is certainly what I am seeing from my testing of HA sets like Sergeant's Mail and Storm Master (https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/629658/comparing-heavy-attacks). These HA sets give a flat bonus of damage to the HA damage, however Restoration and Lightning Staves have unique channel damage that is also receiving the damage buff. With a HA set on, the channel damage actually exceeds the final HA damage, not even including the cleave damage!

I have not done much testing with ONLY Empower to see how it proportionately buffs channel, but I have done testing with only Oakensoul and was very surprised when comparing against other HA weapons. It doesn't SEEM like Oakensoul disproportionately buffs Lightning and Restoration channel damage. My initial thought is that Empower isn't necessarily buffing Lightning Staff and Restoration Staff MORE than any other HA weapon choice. Ill try testing with Queen's Elegance later to see if Empower from this set disproportionately buffs Lightning and Resto staves.

On the topic of HA builds, I don't want them to go away and my ideas on balancing Oakensoul is not about destroying HA sets. In fact, I want there to be more options and variety in HA sets beyond just Lightning Staves, which seem to be the clear option. My breakdown of Oakensoul buffs is primarily based on the understanding of WHY Oakensoul was created and what its intention was: to be a mythic that replaces 1 whole skill bar, including potential skill buffs and enchantment procs. My testing seems to show that Oakensoul does have a drastic improvement on damage, which is understandable and expected! However, it does feel like Oakensoul has some buffs that are perhaps a bit much when you break them down.
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oakensoul needs to get nerfed hard. Currently theres no point using any other build unless you are among the 0.0001% of players who can hit 130k. I hit slightly over 100k with 2 bar builds. But why get sweaty using both bars, trying to perfect weave and so on when you can just hold down 1 button and get pretty much the same result lol. Especially in harder, mechanic heavy content.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on the verge of ragequitting after U37. In desperation, I tried an Oakenbuild and fell in love again. I adore being able to concentrate on fighting and what my foes are doing instead of micromanaging buffs. I have several variants of my character (various mages and two archers) and all now use Oakensoul.

Regarding Empower, I like it as is even though none of my Oakenbuilds are HA builds. Rather, I view Empower as a buff that renders my heavy attacks actually a useful skill - like the other skills I use. For example, an Oakenarcher can effectively drop snipe and use HA as a potent opening attack (with slightly less range than snipe) before switching to other skills. My mages primarily slip in HA's occasionally to help manage magicka (knowing it is also a potent attack), allowing them to ignore mag regen.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oakensoul

The take aways are:

My conclusion:

I will add one thing - Queen's Elegance Armor, from Auridon can give you the equivalent of 100% uptime on Empower... and as a light set, also boosts crit and Penetration, due to those passives.
    Anytime you do damage, it procs for 3 seconds, but can also proc once a second, so as long as you continue to do damage, you get it. Which, heavy attacks do.....

In my experience, both using it, and NOT using it --- the problem seems more in the way that Lightning and Restoration staves work. In that each pulse gives a chance at crit, etc.....
    Without Oakensoul, I was using Critical Surge to get the 20% damage, and looking at my logs, I see that 3300 healing from crits hitting EVERY second throughout fights..... and I had a 60% chance to crit, so it is most likely hitting that on each pulse, rather than the attack, as a whole, which is what shows with Flame Staff, Ice Staff, 2-Handed, and Duel Wield.
    When I switched it over to the Restoration Staff, I got both the 3300 every second, and the Passive healing from the restoration line every other second....
    That made me a LOT more tanky, than even base Oakensoul, as I was healing for more than I could lose, constantly, and as an Imperial, I am sitting with 31K health, with my Undaunted passives, as well as racial ones.

Even things that were normally, one shot kills weren't really stopping me, as I'd be up so fast, I didn't have to worry.
    This got even more obvious, when I swapped my second armor sets around, such as those that proc on overhealing, or those that do area blasts based on me initiating damage.... I came, several times, within 70% of my cleave damage, with that restoration staff......

I do like the idea of the Pale Order Treatment, and will second the removal of Heroism and Mending...... there are plenty of sources for mending in other skills and sets, and I would like to see the game move past the idea that there are only 4 best sets, and the rest are trash.
    I'd even support combining those - remove those 2 buffs, and do the Pale Order treatment where the defensive ones drop.
    At that point, it is an accessability option, and can be matched by a dual bar design, with identical skills on both, as long as you slot something that gives Brutality, like Crit Surge, Igneous Weapon, etc.... and empower, which any person can get from the mages guild, or Queens Elegance. If you go for any of the Magelight skills, you also get Savagery, and that just makes your crits more numerous.

Auldwulfe

I really think they need to adjust Queens Elegance. Im not sure that most players could reliably keep Empower up 100% of the time and keep up the other buffs from OS as well. Any two abilities plus the channel eats the entire duration. We're essentially talking about 2 global cool downs and the channel required to proc it again to keep the buffs up. A heal, roll dodge, mechanic, rez, all eat that timer. If they want to make QE more attractive when comparing it to OS they should increase that timer a little bit.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oakensoul

The take aways are:

My conclusion:

Auldwulfe

I really think they need to adjust Queens Elegance. Im not sure that most players could reliably keep Empower up 100% of the time and keep up the other buffs from OS as well. Any two abilities plus the channel eats the entire duration. We're essentially talking about 2 global cool downs and the channel required to proc it again to keep the buffs up. A heal, roll dodge, mechanic, rez, all eat that timer. If they want to make QE more attractive when comparing it to OS they should increase that timer a little bit.

I mean, not to be harsh, but Queens Elegance is a low power, base game Overland set from 2014 design targeted at new players and Oakensoul is a pushed mythic from 2022 that, conservatively, 50% of players are using atm almost exclusively for Empower... They are essentially two designs from completely different eras; it's not an entirely fair comparison. Queens Elegance is just a 5-piece set and Oakensoul is essentially 1/2 of 6-7 skills and 1/5 of 2-3 5-piece sets.

You are highlighting though why Oakensoul is so stronk:

> Im not sure that most players could reliably keep Empower up 100% of the time and keep up the other buffs from OS as well

That isn't unique to Empower from sets like Queens Elegance. Oakensoul has a myriad of buffs where it would be IMPOSSIBLE to keep 100% uptime on all of them, even if you were the sweatiest 2 bar parser with amazing internet speeds. That's why players like Oakensoul so much.

Now, that isn't meant to come down hard on Oakensoul. To be fair, there is a trade off. Oakensoul gets perfect 100% uptime on these buffs, with no actions needed from the users. But in exchange, they don't get the bar space for more damage, nor access to the DOTs (Solar Barrage, Barbed Trap), and are limited by 2 set pieces (no backbar). It's hard to see how one set of tradeoffs should be balanced against other strengths/weaknesses.

I could see them increasing Queens Elegance from 3 seconds to 5 seconds maybe. But I wouldn't hold my breathe. Reading Queens Elegance, the design seems to me to be "constant LA/HA". You want to do other things in that 3 seconds? You can weave a skill in there, or a LA between HAs, or 1 dodge roll. It's a tight window sure, but I highly doubt they will care to buff it and using Oakensoul uptime as a guidepost is a mistake IMO.
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oakensoul

The take aways are:

My conclusion:

Auldwulfe

I understand that, but according to the Oakensoul haters, you don't have to do that, anyways.... they seem to think that you can log in, stand around in whatever city you park in, and hold your mouse button down, and suddenly endeavors and titles fall from the sky .....

I have repeatedly heard them say that people don't have to learn mechanics, because they are "too tanky".....
    In my experience, those are usually the splatters on the floor that add so much "hominess" to the dungeons and trials..... but irrational dislike for something doesn't always lend itself to clear thinking.

Fun fact, I didn't want, or see a need for Oakensoul .... and I am still of the mind that while a neat niche tool... it's fairly easy to duplicate most everything it gives with a mix of sets, monster sets, etc.
    In my experience, the problem is more the interaction of HA attack sets with channeled HA weapons, like lightning and restoration .... as I believe it's stacking on the pulse, rather than the whole attack, as would happen with every other weapon.
    Nerfing a ring isn't going to do anything to stop that issue....... but it will make your older and less twitch capable players go looking at other games, taking their subscription money with them.

ZOS did say that they wanted to change combat so that people weren't zoomed in so far, staring at bars to keep the button mashing right, that they missed the rest... and honestly, I see the current usage of 2 bars to be pretty much an exploit in what was intended, vs what had been done, anyways. I always saw it as you do in paper and table games.....
    You have your primary weapon... but in situations, you use a secondary, as it works better.... can't stab the goblin that's 20 feet away, but you can use a bow....etc.

Instead, it got turned into "we can use that second bar to buff the first bar, forcing every situation into the user's preferred method of just winning"... which, to be honest, is going to happen in ANY game. People will develop a way they like.... and once they have their hammer, all problems are nails.

Honestly, there are several solutions... but I already see people screaming. I would, if they nerfed Oakensoul, which would harm the players that do need it.... suggest they also nerf the system so that switching bars ends any buff, dot, or hot from the now off bar... if the bar isn't in effect, neither are things on it. They already do it with Sorc and Warden pets... why can't the other skills experience the same joy and happiness?

But, that would destroy 2 bar builds, and make it so you can't play the game? That's pretty much what nerfing Oakensoul would do to those that need it.... and as has been proven in this, and MANY other threads... you not only don't need oakensoul to make an abusive one bar build... it's ridiculously easy to make it with identical bars... which would also circumvent my other solution, above. The issue isn't the ring, it's in how some sets stack and are seen in the code..... it was there before the ring, and some people did use it, already... I was one of them..... we just didn't crow on and on about our 65k - 85K damage, as others were busy shouting about their 130K... but it was just fine, it worked, and didn't change much, if at all, after U35... if I account for skill and experience, I am pretty much in the same identical place I was before U35. And I did predict that to friends... it would nerf the middle, harm the bottom, and the top people would have work arounds in a few hours..... those in the middle, after a few weeks..... the rest would suffer, and most would leave.... which they did.

The thing is, the top players will practice those builds on the PTS, and then go back to live a week or so before the patch, and grind out the equipment they already tested, using the meta sets to get the new, before the meta changed. And that, is just as much of an exploit, as well, as they get to test and gear up for new patches before the patch drops..... console players can't do that, nor those that don't have the money to have the ability to run the PTS as well as the normal game...... so how is that NOT pay to win, in that case? If we are going to claim that buying High Isle, and either being ESO+ or having purchased several DLC's... all requirements to get Oakensoul, is "Pay to Win"... then being able to practice on the PTS is also "Pay to Win"

That said, I do agree that a couple of the buffs on Oakensoul do not make sense.... in that they could be removed without changing the effect of the ring for those that need it... Aegis... not really needed.
    Mending comes from many skills, and Heroism can be gotten from other sets, like Corsair's.... so taking it off could encourage more build styles......

In the end, what it has accomplished is shaking up the "Pillars of Nirn Holy Build" opposed to the "lesser" builds meta that has been running for so long. It is allowing people the option of trying out other sets, and other play styles, while still having enough cushion to see what works for them, and what doesn't...... yes, the people that spam one method of play will abuse the advantages.... people in Star Trek Online do it with certain weapons... people in Mechwarrior Online love to spam missiles, etc.... did the game change things, yes... but just like Oakensoul, it's easy for competitive gamers to find a work around... and go right back to one method smash.....

Unfortunately, that is the nature of ANY online game....... removing Oakensoul, right now, would do nothing to change that.....

Auldwulfe

(honestly can't tell if the forum has an autocorrect that gets creative, or my age and slight tremor are catching up to me more than I thought)
    Edited by Auldwulfe on 31 March 2023 17:39
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Auldwulfe
    I don't think that they need to nerf it. There should be balance though.

We make comparisons between 1 bar Oakensoul builds and 2 bar builds, but we typically compare a ranged 1 bar build to what is essentially a 2 bar melee build. How does a 2 bar build with staves or bows stack up against an Oakensoul build?

For most of the player base the 2 bar staff/bow builds wont do as well. It would require a fairly high level of mastery to perform as well in the content as Oakensoul does now. It shouldnt be that steep. I think that the scaling to LA was an attempt to smooth that transition.

And to your point, you cant truly source all of those buffs, but of those that you can, some still require a GCD to proc the buff. Any GCD used is going to be damage lost. The only set that I am aware of that would give Empower is the one you listed, and its weak compared to it. So if we are comparing apples to apples, a set up like that would have less uptime with Empower and most of the buffs sourced through other abilities as well. That would put Oakensoul in a better place for anyone below a certain mastery threshold, at that threshold seems a bit high.

Thats not really to say that Oakensoul needs to be nerfed, its saying that the alternatives aren't as good as they should/could be.

I agree, removing or significantly altering the ring would be noisy at best and detrimental most likely. Noisier than it is already.
    Edited by Agenericname on 31 March 2023 18:10
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Auldwulfe
    I don't think that they need to nerf it. There should be balance though.

We make comparisons between 1 bar Oakensoul builds and 2 bar builds, but we typically compare a ranged 1 bar build to what is essentially a 2 bar melee build. How does a 2 bar build with staves or bows stack up against an Oakensoul build?

For most of the player base the 2 bar staff/bow builds wont do as well. It would require a fairly high level of mastery to perform as well in the content as Oakensoul does now. It shouldnt be that steep. I think that the scaling to LA was an attempt to smooth that transition.

And to your point, you cant truly source all of those buffs, but of those that you can, some still require a GCD to proc the buff. Any GCD used is going to be damage lost. The only set that I am aware of that would give Empower is the one you listed, and its weak compared to it. So if we are comparing apples to apples, a set up like that would have less uptime with Empower and most of the buffs sourced through other abilities as well. That would put Oakensoul in a better place for anyone below a certain mastery threshold, at that threshold seems a bit high.

Thats not really to say that Oakensoul needs to be nerfed, its saying that the alternatives aren't as good as they should/could be.

I agree, removing or significantly altering the ring would be noisy at best and detrimental most likely. Noisier than it is already.

Thing is, I wanted to test it myself, as I was NOT a fan of Oakensoul, at first .... so, I went with Sergeant's mail in jewelry and weapon, Order's wrath all in light, for crit and pen - Slime Craw, in medium for the 4% damage boost off the armor, on top of the 5% for having it.

For skills, I took Critical Surge, one of the Magelight morphs (honestly, just for the empower), Daedric Prey, and both pets --- and I did duplicate sets and skills on BOTH bars... solely because I tend to tap my mouse button when I move, and didn't want to go to an empty bar.... but identical bars is just a one bar with an echo...... Mundus was thief, and the usual passives, on an Imperial with my attributs all in Magicka -- so about 38K magicka, 29K health, and 18K stamina, with the Undaunted passives, and 2 armor types ......

Not only does Critical Surge have a 33 second uptime, but a VERY visual graphic to let you know..... as you are coated in lightning... and whenever the floating light ball went, I hit my magelight... so about every 5 or 6 seconds, and empower, there has a 10 second uptime.... and, you can queue skills while doing a heavy attack.... and in the end, with crit making up the difference, I actually only average about 3500 less damage overall, on a parse, and maybe 1200 less in actual combat logs.
    However, I heal a LOT more, as that critical surge is proccing every second.... so I regenerate 3300 health a second with it.... the rotation is a bit slower than it was when I was using oakensoul....

The only difference was that it was EASIER for me to tank my way through things, as I have, more or less, a permanent HOT going the whole time, I actually died more, going back to Oakensoul, for more testing, because I kept forgetting to watch my health as much.....

I did think this was a possibility with U35.... that once things were on a base level, that we would see a change in the dynamic of combat, and maybe even a diversity of builds past the current 3 meta sets, and nothing else .... Pillars of Nirn is STILL the king of sets..... but I am hoping that things can diverge further and further.... Oakensoul is a useful too, though, in that it teaches the benefits of the various buffs, and how they work...... and then you can decide what you need, and build from there.

Auldwulfe
    Edited by Auldwulfe on 31 March 2023 22:23
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m 41. I have severe Carpel tunnel.
    Doing light attack weaving takes a toll on my hands.

I’ve been playing since the morrowind chapter, as a solo player. I just got into group stuff recently.

I’ve been working on my dps slowly. I had a decent 2 bar build magicsorc with ok enough dps for normal dungeons.
    I switched to a pet sorc 2 bar and it made my dps a a lot better.

I never did scrying I just didn’t have the patience. But I really wanted to try oakensoul. I just got it today after grinding hardcore from square one with scrying. It took me about a week and a half.

I find it great I now have a overland 1 bar build and it’s just very relaxing. I will most likely keep my 2 bar set up for group dungeons but I really am enjoying oakensoul I can quest and fight world bosses without having to manage 2 bars and it’s easier on my aging hands.

While the dps is about twice as high as my other set ups I likely won’t take it into group settings as it seems people will
    Hassle one bar HA dps builds.