The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PTS Update 37 - Feedback Thread for New Item Sets

• ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey everyone, we've gotten a few messages today with concerns over some missed documentation on changes made to Runecarver's Blaze, as well as its current strength. We wanted to give you all a heads up that we will be making some adjustments that affect the power of the set, which will be included when this update goes live in a few weeks; updated values will be included in the patch notes when Update 37 launches.

Thanks to everyone who brought this to our attention!

Thank you very much for this heads-up. I'm sure a lot of content creators would have been spending a lot of time with this over the next couple of weeks with the way it is currently performing on the PTS. Really appreciate you reaching out about it and saving us some wasted hours!

Of course! To follow up with the actual changes, the set will only activate on every 3rd tick rather than only the 3rd tick of a DoT effect. We're also reducing the damage done by approximately 47% and it will no longer guarantee to apply a burning each tick. Again, expect to see these changes when the update goes live in a couple weeks.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billium813 wrote: »
    Make Unstable Core hate on heals. It's already the perfect animation to represent to the effected player "You are not getting outside heals right now", it's already positioned as a PvP skill given it's terrible in PvE, and since Templar is trashed atm, Templar could use a new toy to make it somewhat relevant in PvP.
    • Eclipse:
      Envelop an enemy in a lightless sphere for 4 seconds, rebounding direct damage back on the target. Limited to one.

10% of all direct damage the target deals reflects back on the target, up to 4000 damage.
      • Unstable Core (morph):
        Envelop an enemy in a lightless sphere for 4 seconds, absorbing incoming heals and rebounding direct damage back on the target. Limited to one.

All incoming healing on the target is reduced by 60%. 10% of all direct damage the target deals reflects back on the target, up to 6000 damage.

If the target receives 8000 health or deals 4000 damage, the sphere explodes, applying Major Defile to all enemies within 8 meters for 4 seconds and stunning them for 4 seconds

At risk of sounding crazy here, but I actually love Unstable Core in PvP right now, it’s phenomenal when you can isolate a target, what I don’t love, is that it’s a choice between one of the best Single Target moves in the game, and quite literally the best HoT. Most players opt for Living Dark because it carries Templar defense.

I would much rather other less used abilities get some love, than yet another of our burst tools become niche, because you and I both know they wouldn’t give it that much Heal Absorption, and slap the same tooltip as all the other sets, setting it to around 4,000 heal negation, an absolutely negligible value.

Maybe they could add Heal Absorption on both morphs of Solar Flare? Dark Flare already applies Major Defile, it wouldn’t be too much of a reach.

What I would REALLY love is if they doubled down on the theme of Blazing Shield and gave Templar a parry/riposte type mechanic, where Blazing could last one or two seconds and shield way more, reflecting a ton while emphasizing well timed casts, costing nearly 4,000 Magicka every time you use it.

Templar and Warden are the only classes in the game without any built in mechanics to our gameplay, we don’t have stack build-ups like DK, Sorc, and Nightblade, and we can’t buff our abilities with corpses. It’s dreadfully boring at the moment.

Well, I'll disagree about Unstable Core being good atm, but it's ok if you are enjoying it!

> what I don’t love, is that it’s a choice between one of the best Single Target moves in the game, and quite literally the best HoT

I 100% agree with you on this! I might be crazy to say it, but I feel like Living Dark is probably a little over tuned. Now, Templar itself is in a terrible spot in PvP atm, so I think it gets a pass... but Living Dark procing every 1/2 second, and lasting for 12 whole seconds, just makes it an exceptional defensive HoT skill! I'm not calling for a nerf on Living Dark, as a Templar main I find that I have great survivability (as I think I should being support oriented with healing and purges), but I hit like a wet piece of paper. I'm just saying that IF we ever got a buff to Templar in other places, I would understand a slight nerf to Living Dark...

I think Living Dark is an exceptional defensive skill, as stated above. It's amazing when you are running away and it's amazing when you are about to jump into combat! It's one of Templars best HoTs because it's mobile! The weakness of Cleansing Ritual and Rune Focus are that they are static. Good enemies will pull you out and make you waste resources recasting these. HoT like Vigor or Living Dark are sooo good partially because of their use on the move. Also, Living Dark scales exceptionally well! If you are 1vX, that 1/2 second proc is awesome as you are getting many attacks made on you!

Then we have Unstable Core. If Living Dark is the defensive skill, I want Unstable Core to be the offensive skill! And in fairness, it is positioned that way, dealing some damage.

However, here are my issues with Unstable Core:
    1. It's way too convoluted.
      • It looks like word salad. It's the kind of thing I would have to read 5 times just to fully understand what it does! I get that Eclipse is going for this "it escalates with each attack" thing, but there has to be a more simple design that can capture that feel without literally spelling out "on the first attack... on the second attack".
    2. It doesn't do enough.
      • It quite literally does NOTHING if the one opponent you target isn't attacking. Living Dark and Unstable Core both proc based on the opponent attacking; they are both defensive. Except the one placed on me is going to scale way better. Odds are better I will be attacks as opposed to the odds that the 1 target I selected is going to attack. Odds are WAY better that Living Dark will do WAY more work for my money.
      • It's not good for the chase and it isn't good to isolate zerg healers. The range is HUGE!!!! It's 28 meters! Its the kind of thing I want to dump on an opponent as they are running at me, but it ends by the time they get to me! It's the kind of thing I want to dump on an opponent running away! But it doesn't proc on heals or movement. Its a defensive spell with a disjoined identity.
      • when it does proc on attackers, the opponent plows through the triggers in 2 seconds with little to show for it. The damage doesn't seem worth it (though that may just be the overtuned state of healing atm). The best part is the stun and immobilize. Living Dark lasts the whole duration, giving me the full benefit. Unstable Core though can be rushed through, ends, and that's it!
      • I hate how ridged the skill triggers are with "on the first attack... ect". I'd like to see it just do an effect for the duration.
      • Why does it cost more than Living Dark? It's too expensive for the little that it does.

I'd like to see Unstable Core positioned way more offensive.
    • Make it proc based on opponents healing themselves or receiving HoTs from allies. When an opponent is about to attack me, they activate their buffs and HoTs in preparation. I could throw an Unstable Core to debuff their HoTs.
    • I like it reducing movement speed for the rundown. Templar has awesome chase with Toppling Charge and Binding Javeline, but at 22 meters, sometimes they are JUST out of range! Having Unstable Core to slow them as they spam HoT and run would be an awesome tool.
    Edited by Billium813 on 1 March 2023 17:14
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make Unstable Core hate on heals. It's already the perfect animation to represent to the effected player "You are not getting outside heals right now", it's already positioned as a PvP skill given it's terrible in PvE, and since Templar is trashed atm, Templar could use a new toy to make it somewhat relevant in PvP.
    • Eclipse:
      Envelop an enemy in a lightless sphere for 4 seconds, rebounding direct damage back on the target. Limited to one.

10% of all direct damage the target deals reflects back on the target, up to 4000 damage.
      • Unstable Core (morph):
        Envelop an enemy in a lightless sphere for 4 seconds, absorbing incoming heals and rebounding direct damage back on the target. Limited to one.

All incoming healing on the target is reduced by 60%. 10% of all direct damage the target deals reflects back on the target, up to 6000 damage.

If the target receives 8000 health or deals 4000 damage, the sphere explodes, applying Major Defile to all enemies within 8 meters for 4 seconds and stunning them for 4 seconds

At risk of sounding crazy here, but I actually love Unstable Core in PvP right now, it’s phenomenal when you can isolate a target, what I don’t love, is that it’s a choice between one of the best Single Target moves in the game, and quite literally the best HoT. Most players opt for Living Dark because it carries Templar defense.

I would much rather other less used abilities get some love, than yet another of our burst tools become niche, because you and I both know they wouldn’t give it that much Heal Absorption, and slap the same tooltip as all the other sets, setting it to around 4,000 heal negation, an absolutely negligible value.

Maybe they could add Heal Absorption on both morphs of Solar Flare? Dark Flare already applies Major Defile, it wouldn’t be too much of a reach.

What I would REALLY love is if they doubled down on the theme of Blazing Shield and gave Templar a parry/riposte type mechanic, where Blazing could last one or two seconds and shield way more, reflecting a ton while emphasizing well timed casts, costing nearly 4,000 Magicka every time you use it.

Templar and Warden are the only classes in the game without any built in mechanics to our gameplay, we don’t have stack build-ups like DK, Sorc, and Nightblade, and we can’t buff our abilities with corpses. It’s dreadfully boring at the moment.

Well, I'll disagree about Unstable Core being good atm, but it's ok if you are enjoying it!

> what I don’t love, is that it’s a choice between one of the best Single Target moves in the game, and quite literally the best HoT

I 100% agree with you on this! I might be crazy to say it, but I feel like Living Dark is probably a little over tuned. Now, Templar itself is in a terrible spot in PvP atm, so I think it gets a pass... but Living Dark procing every 1/2 second, and lasting for 12 whole seconds, just makes it an exceptional defensive HoT skill! I'm not calling for a nerf on Living Dark, as a Templar main I find that I have great survivability (as I think I should being support oriented with healing and purges), but I hit like a wet piece of paper. I'm just saying that IF we ever got a buff to Templar in other places, I would understand a slight nerf to Living Dark...

I think Living Dark is an exceptional defensive skill, as stated above. It's amazing when you are running away and it's amazing when you are about to jump into combat! It's one of Templars best HoTs because it's mobile! The weakness of Cleansing Ritual and Rune Focus are that they are static. Good enemies will pull you out and make you waste resources recasting these. HoT like Vigor or Living Dark are sooo good partially because of their use on the move. Also, Living Dark scales exceptionally well! If you are 1vX, that 1/2 second proc is awesome as you are getting many attacks made on you!

Then we have Unstable Core. If Living Dark is the defensive skill, I want Unstable Core to be the offensive skill! And in fairness, it is positioned that way, dealing some damage.

• It looks like word salad. It's the kind of thing I would have to read 5 times just to fully understand what it does! I get that Eclipse is going for this "it escalates with each attack" thing, but there has to be a more simple design that can capture that feel without literally spelling out "on the first attack... on the second attack".
    2. It doesn't do enough.
      • It quite literally does NOTHING if the one opponent you target isn't attacking. Living Dark and Unstable Core both proc based on the opponent attacking; they are both defensive. Except the one placed on me is going to scale way better. Odds are better I will be attacks as opposed to the odds that the 1 target I selected is going to attack. Odds are WAY better that Living Dark will do WAY more work for my money.
      • It's not good for the chase and it isn't good to isolate zerg healers. The range is HUGE!!!! It's 28 meters! Its the kind of thing I want to dump on an opponent as they are running at me, but it ends by the time they get to me! It's the kind of thing I want to dump on an opponent running away! But it doesn't proc on heals or movement. Its a defensive spell with a disjoined identity.
      • when it does proc on attackers, the opponent plows through the triggers in 2 seconds with little to show for it. The damage doesn't seem worth it (though that may just be the overtuned state of healing atm). The best part is the stun and immobilize.
      • I hate how ridged the skill triggers are with "on the first attack... ect". I'd like to see it just do an effect for the duration.

• Make it proc based on opponents healing themselves or receiving HoTs from allies. When an opponent is about to attack me, they activate their buffs and HoTs in preparation. I could throw an Unstable Core to debuff their HoTs.
    • I like it reducing movement speed for the rundown. Templar has awesome chase with Toppling Charge and Binding Javeline, but at 22 meters, sometimes they are JUST out of range! Having Unstable Core to slow them as they spam HoT and run would be an awesome tool.

wouldnt this be better for the class feedback thread, than the one about the new gear sets? lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Eclipse:

• Unstable Core (morph):

2. It doesn't do enough.
      • when it does proc on attackers, the opponent plows through the triggers in 2 seconds with little to show for it. The damage doesn't seem worth it (though that may just be the overtuned state of healing atm). The best part is the stun and immobilize.

wouldnt this be better for the class feedback thread, than the one about the new gear sets? lol

Ya.... the conversation got a bit off the thread topic. Sorry about that.
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey everyone, we've gotten a few messages today with concerns over some missed documentation on changes made to Runecarver's Blaze, as well as its current strength. We wanted to give you all a heads up that we will be making some adjustments that affect the power of the set, which will be included when this update goes live in a few weeks; updated values will be included in the patch notes when Update 37 launches.

Thanks to everyone who brought this to our attention!

Thank you very much for this heads-up. I'm sure a lot of content creators would have been spending a lot of time with this over the next couple of weeks with the way it is currently performing on the PTS. Really appreciate you reaching out about it and saving us some wasted hours!

Of course! To follow up with the actual changes, the set will only activate on every 3rd tick rather than only the 3rd tick of a DoT effect. We're also reducing the damage done by approximately 47% and it will no longer guarantee to apply a burning each tick. Again, expect to see these changes when the update goes live in a couple weeks.

So is the set going to have a cooldown or is this another massive buff to DKs that can have a ton of DOTs in their toolkit.
    This would seem to be similar damage to Way of Fire but ONLY if you're running a single DOT.
    You must not push out untested sets like this to the live server.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    meanwhile the sorc specific dps set...

Unleashed Ritualist

2 items: Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    3 items: Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    4 items: Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    5 items: Dealing damage to an enemy applies Ritualist's Mark to them for 10 seconds. Enemies with your Ritualist's Mark take an additional 16% damage from your summoned pets.

has anyone actually used this for anything? as far as i can see it was trash when it was released and it's still trash now
    from memory julianos increased the dps of your pets more than this set did...
    Edited by Tannus15 on 1 March 2023 22:37
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »

Unleashed Ritualist

5 items: Dealing damage to an enemy applies Ritualist's Mark to them for 10 seconds. Enemies with your Ritualist's Mark take an additional 16% damage from your summoned pets.

has anyone actually used this for anything? as far as i can see it was trash when it was released and it's still trash now

It is actual garbage, never even considered for any reason.
    Really another glaring indication of how out of sync Sorc is with the game design. And that's even a set targeted at PetSorc, the one ZOS mandated "valid" Sorc type.
    Edited by acastanza_ESO on 1 March 2023 23:09
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unleashed Ritualist

Really another glaring indication of how out of sync Sorc is with the game design. And that's even a set targeted at PetSorc, the one ZOS mandated "valid" Sorc type.

it probably would have made more sense many many years ago when stacking that much max mag would have helped lol

i think the 5pc on that set does buff other stuff such as maw of infernal, and necromancer summons, but with the other bonuses being purely max mag, its not really competitive nowadays

they would probably have to minimum double the dmg bonus for summons on the 5th set bonus to probably even make it more considered
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Unleashed Ritualist

it probably would have made more sense many many years ago when stacking that much max mag would have helped lol

i think the 5pc on that set does buff other stuff such as maw of infernal, and necromancer summons, but with the other bonuses being purely max mag, its not really competitive nowadays

they would probably have to minimum double the dmg bonus for summons on the 5th set bonus to probably even make it more considered

it was bad before, then they nerfed the pets hard and compensated with an increase to the daedric prey %, which was a massive nerf to this set.
    No one cared at the time because the set was already considered trash an unused.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Unleashed Ritualist

Julianos does NOT increase pet damage more than Ritualist - however, due to the huge difference in power in the 2-4 pieces of each set, it's pretty much always better to use Julianos.

The only build Ritualist is useful for is an Animate Blastbones ultimate build - and even this niche use has fallen out of favor in today's meta (and was never really amazing anyways with how inconsistent that ultimate is).

Basically, Ritualist is by far the best way to increase your pet damage, but the amount of scenarios and builds that can actually take advantage of that are slim to none. The 2-4pc either needs to be changed to something like damage/damage/pen or the 5pc needs to be increased to something like 25%.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on 2 March 2023 16:34
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unleashed Ritualist

it was bad before, then they nerfed the pets hard and compensated with an increase to the daedric prey %, which was a massive nerf to this set.
    No one cared at the time because the set was already considered trash an unused.

i was talking more about if it was released like years before it actually was released, like back when necropotence set was popular/actually used lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Unleashed Ritualist

Julianos does NOT increase pet damage more than Ritualist - however, due to the huge difference in power in the 2-4 pieces of each set, it's pretty much always better to use Julianos.

The only build Ritualist is useful for is an Animate Blastbones ultimate build - and even this niche use has fallen out of favor in today's meta (and was never really amazing anyways with how inconsistent that ultimate is).

Basically, Ritualist is by far the best way to increase your pet damage, but the amount of scenarios and builds that can actually take advantage of that are slim to none. The 2-4pc either needs to be changed to something like damage/damage/pen or the 5pc needs to be increased to something like 25%.

ok, you got me. julianos is 1k dps behind on raw pet damage, however i'd argue that the high atro crit % on the ritualist parse has more to do with it than anything else.

I wore julianos light on the body so i could do a simple swap with ritualist without over thinking things too much

Juianos pet dps over a 21m parse - 19.1k dps (78% prey uptime)

r8bzfsui7e6i.png

Ritualist dps over a 21m parse - 20.4k dps (81% prey uptime)

atm20alcvhy5.png

either way, this set ONLY buffs pet damage and at best you can say it's competetive with the most generic dps set in the game on that metric, and on every other metric it's worse.

just for laughs i did a julianos parse in medium instead of light - 20k dps (80% prey uptime)

ugmfad7rsamr.png
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Unleashed Ritualist

ok, you got me. julianos is 1k dps behind on raw pet damage, however i'd argue that the high atro crit % on the ritualist parse has more to do with it than anything else.

I wore julianos light on the body so i could do a simple swap with ritualist without over thinking things too much

Juianos pet dps over a 21m parse - 19.1k dps (78% prey uptime)

r8bzfsui7e6i.png

Ritualist dps over a 21m parse - 20.4k dps (81% prey uptime)

atm20alcvhy5.png

either way, this set ONLY buffs pet damage and at best you can say it's competetive with the most generic dps set in the game on that metric, and on every other metric it's worse.

just for laughs i did a julianos parse in medium instead of light - 20k dps (80% prey uptime)

ugmfad7rsamr.png

Niche sets like these should not be bad. These sets that require building in specific ways should be best in slot for those hyper focused builds.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Gilliam

Here's some Shell Splitter feedback after playing ~60 hours the past week in Cyrodiil and some BGs.

Context

I play a Bash build that generates Shell Splitter stacks very close to the 0.5 second cooldown (2 bashes per second)

Summary

Good set overall with some drawbacks. 2-4pc bonus is strong. 5pc bonus is often wasted but sometimes outperforms.

Additional Feedback

If the intention is to build stacks on a blocking enemy player and then use those stacks to attack a different enemy player, then it's extremely difficult to do so. The 5 second duration isn't long enough to switch targets and start doing meaningful damage. Recommend 8 second duration on the Shell Splitter effect, up from 5 seconds.

If the intention is to do more damage to your current target once they stop blocking, and only your current target, then it works well. But not always. Recommend 6 second duration on the Shell Splitter effect, up from 5 seconds.

Most fights result in less than 5 stacks and often none at all. Frequently blocking players give 5 to 10 stacks. It's extremely rare to build over 10 stacks of Shell Splitter. I've reached 20 stacks only a few times and those were on permablock tanks.

Reaching 20 stacks on a permablock tank seems pointless because you don't do enough damage to kill them while they're blocking, and you don't have enough time to switch targets and use those 20 stacks on a different enemy player before the effect ends.
    PC NA