Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Compensation?

• Dankapotimus420
    ok. this stuff in beta is understandable, during its early access period, which in name states game is finished product, ready for the public to use. it is not.

WoW still has maintenance downtime (planned and unplanned) after 10 years. Are you saying they aren't ready for public access yet?

WoWs downtime now is for updating stats/ui tweaks/ nerfing which is a completely different discussion than this. this is early access,offered by zenimax, and a legal obligation , which they have broken as of yesterday. unless they push game release back which we all know is NOT going to happen.

edited to add:
    also holiday event implementation downtime. headless horseman (Halloween) etc.

Edited by Dankapotimus420 on 2 April 2014 15:28
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoWs downtime now is for updating stats/ui tweaks/ nerfing which is a completely different discussion than this. this is early access,offered by zenimax, and a legal obligation , which they have broken as of yesterday.

You've never played WoW, have you? They've had unplanned maintenance more times than I can count.

And no, this is not a "legal obligation". They've met their legal obligation as outlined in the ToS. They do not guarantee 24/7 access to the servers, nor did they guarantee that they wouldn't have to take the game down for emergency fixes during the Early Access period. Quit armchair-lawyering until you've actually read the document.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Sedalias_Hope
    Sedalias_Hope
    ✭✭
    Gohlar wrote: »

Wow added time to people subs actually.

So Yes. Multiple times. Yes way. There is a chance. Stop talking.

It's almost like you intentionally left out the bit where Blizzard has only ever compensated people for massive service interruptions (more than 24 hours), and that even then, it was their prerogative.

We aren't even in official, paid subscription time yet, and we certainly haven't experienced anything more than we would for regular maintenance, which, according to Zenimax, was already planned for today.
    I am sorry you are stating things that are not correct. I played WoW from its release up to 2 months after Cata was released. ANY time there were unplanned server outages, or extended maintenance, meaning the server would come up and then have to be brought back down, (like every time new content was released) we would have at least 1 day added to our subscription.
    I am not saying these guys need to follow suit, but people can knock WoW all they want, the fact remains it STILL has millions of ppl that play and pay for it. IF these guys hope to have an online legacy like EQ or WoW, they should learn from the ones that have been around for a long time. MOST of the people talking on this forum are a flash in the pan, you will play for a month maybe two, and move on.
    Here's to hoping they will fix the issues, do a better job of keeping their PAYING subscribers in the loop, and provide a great game. So far I have not had too many issues and love it! :)
  • rwood0604_ESO
    rwood0604_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If yall really want something you can complain about for compensation how about getting mad about the other sites selling ESO for 20% less than the ESO store for those who bought it from there when the preorder first came out lol instead you complain about server maintenance , Lol Jesus someone shoot me
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭

I
    I just cannot feel this whole thing could have been avoided by doing like a 2 week open beta, rather then cheap out by doing the fashionable 1 or 2 weekend beta events with less then 1 week heads up.

They could not have a traditional open beta due to the 17+ maturity rating by the ESRB, so they sent out keys to literally everyone they could and used that as a way to verify age(at least in writing lol). A week or 2 long beta would def have helped find more bugs I agree, I am sure they see now in hindsight that they should have worried about more than just server load, but it is what it is now, people make mistakes, stuff happens, we still throw money at them and move on.
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just cannot feel this whole thing could have been avoided by doing like a 2 week open beta, rather then cheap out by doing the fashionable 1 or 2 weekend beta events with less then 1 week heads up.

I totally get why people feel they should be compensated, for people such as myself I bought the physical collectors edition for the 5 days early access, because the fact was I had the week off. The early access was not a perk for me, it was a selling point.

I also want to point out that I understand I could have bought the cheaper online edition, but wanted to support the local brick and mortar retailers and the jobs they provide in my community (having worked at a game store in my youth). Mind you its not a requirement that Zenimax compensate players, it would however be a nice move to build up some good will.

Like it or lump it, I'm sure many people pre-ordered because of the early access.

Touching story. Doesnt change the fact youre not entitled to compensation.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Sedalias_Hope
    Sedalias_Hope
    ✭✭
    I think it would go a long way with the customers if Zenimax offered a little something to compensate for the almost 9 hours of downtime so far.

Is it expected? No.

It would reinforce this immature and outlandish belief that these people are entitled to some sort of compensation. So no it wouldnt go a long way..only the wrong way.

Um, actually, it's called business. Maybe in your world when you pay for something, you don't expect it to be delivered. I am not one of those. I love the game, but the fact is I reported MOST of the broken quests SEVERAL beta tests back, and they STILL released the same broken quests to a PAYED SUBSCRIPTION game.
    Oh, one more thing, perhaps it is YOUR mindset and belief system and the thousands like you that clutter the forums with your "wisdom" is CAUSING the Devs to be lazy and not fix things reported in a timely manner. Also, EVERYONE that is playing right now has payed something. It is not a privilege to have early access, it is a sales promotion, please learn about business.
  • Xemnas
    Xemnas
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌

May you take this thread down please. All that's happening now is arguments.
  • Dankapotimus420
    WoWs downtime now is for updating stats/ui tweaks/ nerfing which is a completely different discussion than this. this is early access,offered by zenimax, and a legal obligation , which they have broken as of yesterday.

You've never played WoW, have you? They've had unplanned maintenance more times than I can count.

And no, this is not a "legal obligation". They've met their legal obligation as outlined in the ToS. They do not guarantee 24/7 access to the servers, nor did they guarantee that they wouldn't have to take the game down for emergency fixes during the Early Access period. Quit armchair-lawyering until you've actually read the document.

I actually played wow from day 2 of vanilla till they released pandaria. since blizzard GMs and executives repeatedly swore up and down that cataclysm was their last expansion in interviews and on their own website. when they broke that obligation, I quit. I know all about their downtime and maintenance as my roommate is a GM for blizzard. I know for a fact you are incorrect about them not compensating people for their unplanned long time maintenance. as others in here have stated. maybe you should go read your wow account summary and come back at me with something accurate.
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, EVERYONE that is playing right now has payed something.

Actually... I know a few folks who pre-ordered, got pre-order codes which gave them access to ... early access, and canceled their pre-orders. So, they're playing right now without paying a dime.

Edited to add - I'm not saying they are correct for doing so, but there are a lot of places that allowed pre-orders and either don't charge at all until the game ships/is released, or allow you to only put a few dollars down towards the game to reserve it. You don't actually have to pay for the game to get early access, you can get a refund prior to launch.. have played the five days, and not pay a penny.
    Edited by Lalai on 2 April 2014 15:42
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually played wow from day 2 of vanilla till they released pandaria. since blizzard GMs and executives repeatedly swore up and down that cataclysm was their last expansion in interviews and on their own website. when they broke that obligation, I quit. I know all about their downtime and maintenance as my roommate is a GM for blizzard. I know for a fact you are incorrect about them not compensating people for their unplanned long time maintenance. as others in here have stated. maybe you should go read your wow account summary and come back at me with something accurate.

I think your definition of "legal obligation" falls short of the... you know... legal definition.
    ----
    Murray?
  • AntiSaint
    AntiSaint
    Xemnas wrote: »
    Will we be compensated for the downtime?

Stuff like an hour or two of double experience. That would be an awesome way for ZOS to make up for the lost game time.

Perhaps you would like an analgesic cream?
    Edited by AntiSaint on 2 April 2014 15:51
    No, you can't have my stuff...
  • UrielX
    UrielX

While your right, there isn't actually any legal obligation (which is actually a "duty" in legalese) being violated. I always laugh hysterically whenever people talk about legal stuff (because of how wrong they typically are).

As per the EULA we've already agreed to give up your ability to sue, so even if you wanted to you can't (as an American, my international law knowledge is mostly limited to the UN/criminal law type stuff).

• Daverios
    Daverios
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrielX wrote: »

While your right, there isn't actually any legal obligation (which is actually a "duty" in legalese) being violated. I always laugh hysterically whenever people talk about legal stuff (because of how wrong they typically are).

As per the EULA we've already agreed to give up your ability to sue, so even if you wanted to you can't (as an American, my international law knowledge is mostly limited to the UN/criminal law type stuff).

I always love people that THINK they know they about legal stuff but only spit out complete jibberish.

1) What you agreed to in the EULA was regarding class-action and ONLY class actions suits.

2) A person can never give up or be coerced to give up any right ever. That is almost the very definition of a war crime right there. That is like me saying I am going to punch you as hard I can and give you $100, but if you get injured that is your fault; Bumfights style. It simply does not work that way, and certainly not in the good ol' United States of America.

Edited by Daverios on 2 April 2014 16:03
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daverios wrote: »
    B) A person can never give up or be coerced to give up any right ever. That is almost the very definition of a war crime right there. [snip]

No, it isn't. A war crime is, funnily enough, a crime committed during a war.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Palmate
    Palmate
    Soul Shriven
    wow, I wish I could say I'm surprised by the rants and complaining and torches and pitch forks... but I'm not. Folks just need to calm down. Maybe step outside for a few minutes, I'm sure they are just trying to provide us all with a stable and enjoyable online experience.
  • UrielX
    UrielX
    Daverios wrote: »
    UrielX wrote: »

I always love people that THINK they know they about legal stuff but only spit out complete jibberish.

1) What you agreed to in the EULA was regarding class-action and ONLY class actions suits.

2) A person can never give up or be coerced to give up any right ever. That is almost the very definition of a war crime right there. That is like me saying I am going to punch you as hard I can and give you $100, but if you get injured that is your fault; Bumfights style. It simply does not work that way, and certainly not in the good ol' United States of America.

1. You're wrong. People in the U.S. can, and do often give up the ability to go to court for contractually mandated ADR. In this EULA you agree to arbitration, that means you don't go to court. Probably about 95% of your commercial contract agreements, already mandate this (bank, cell phone provider,etc).

Edit:
    You CAN opt out (of ADR) in writing within the first 30 days of agreeing to the TOS.

Edited by UrielX on 2 April 2014 16:27
  • BmcD73
    BmcD73
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure where all the hating is coming from. I paid $80 for ESO and part of that was early access. There was no breakdown of what percent of the money goes to the Imperial Horse or the Ring or the Maps or even the head start. So part of that money that I paid is FOR head start access. So when you don't get what you paid for, of course people are going to complain. I know plenty of people that have taken time off of work, rearranged their schedules, changed plans all so they can play during head start. It's not like this is regular maint. This is unplanned, unscheduled maint and it is very long at that. And yes, they are fixing things but these show stoppers (which is what this is) should have been caught BEFORE the release. Head start is still release. It's not beta. Maybe you all think we all just did the preorder and haven't paid for the game yet. I'm not sure but there are plenty of people that have paid full price for the game and are not getting what they paid for. Someone that just did the $5 preorder...maybe not so much. I have a question for all of you that are hating on the OP, when you buy something and don't get what you paid for, do you always just shrug your shoulders and say, "oh well" or "I wasn't entitled to what I paid for anyway"?
  • Kellhus
    Kellhus
    ✭✭
    Trouvo wrote: »
    Kellhus wrote: »
    While I get that people are defending ESO -- keep in mind the head start was part of the incentive to pre-purchase the game. Listing head start as a perk of doing so, and then not being able to deliver on that perk does, in fact, mean they should probably do something.

I'm sure any community rep, in spite of the silly responses from the actual community, would even agree that is just good business practice.

So myself already at level 18, all the way to the people at level 50 already(facepalm) didnt get a headstart?

I'm not clear what you're saying -- does the level of the player somehow change that head start is about access to the servers for a set period of time?

I don't think you're remotely getting the point if you're talking about character levels like they are somehow relevant to the topic.
  • Dankapotimus420
    and....... thanx BMC sums up what I have been saying for a short now.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I totally get why people feel they should be compensated, for people such as myself I bought the physical collectors edition for the 5 days early access, because the fact was I had the week off. The early access was not a perk for me, it was a selling point.

I also want to point out that I understand I could have bought the cheaper online edition, but wanted to support the local brick and mortar retailers and the jobs they provide in my community (having worked at a game store in my youth). Mind you its not a requirement that Zenimax compensate players, it would however be a nice move to build up some good will.

Like it or lump it, I'm sure many people pre-ordered because of the early access.

Touching story. Doesnt change the fact youre not entitled to compensation.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Hadria
    Hadria
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azarul wrote: »
    This thread and mindset makes me sad for humanity.

It's like this all the time tho. they all think they deserve *** just cause they bought 5 day early access or took time off or work(haha). silly children
  • JunkyardWolf
    JunkyardWolf
    ✭✭
    Lalai wrote: »
    Something for Nothing Response:
    A price of $59.99 means we're paying roughly $0.08 per hour to play during the first month. Will we be compensated $0.40 plus applicable taxes for the downtime?

Example brought to you by @SookieStackhouse.

well that would get me at least a few pieces of Bazooka Bubblegum to chew on :P

• BluntedJ
    BluntedJ
    Xemnas wrote: »
    Will we be compensated for the downtime?

Stuff like an hour or two of double experience. That would be an awesome way for ZOS to make up for the lost game time.

You, sir/madam, are out of line! LOL.

Seriously, if they leave the game up, you'll complain about bugs. If they take it down to fix the bug, you'll complain about that.

I got early access, downloaded and installed, but because of this thing called <work> I have to wait until tonight.

Yes, I am a hypocrite, and will demand compensation if the problem still persists when I try to log on at about 9pm EST.

Please credit me $0.40 times however many hours.