Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would you like to go back to the old DLC system?

Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
✭✭✭✭✭
I mean 4 dungeons and 2 zones (chapter and small zone) every year.
Edited by Parasaurolophus on 31 August 2024 18:18
PC/EU

Would you like to go back to the old DLC system? 143 votes

Yes
75%
BlueRavenvailjohn_ESOchessalavakia_ESOBelegnoleragnarok6644b14_ESOArizona_Stevessewallb14_ESOArrodisiaSilafBlueVioletElsonsoSmokedpyrotechG1CountdownTandorshadyjane62Blacknight841RomopeacenotehiydeN00BxV1 108 votes
Now
24%
AD_TuggoBeeKingflizomicaHargamSheridanAvalonRangeractoshEriniaParasaurolophusValarMorghulis1896Sleep724ThoraxtheDarkArchMikemPossRunefangkarthrag_inakLamiaCritterRaptorRodeoGodStarOfElyonwhitecrow 35 votes
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You might want to be more specific, as Zenimax has changed things more than once. As it is a yes or no lacks any worthwhile meaning.

Edit: What does "Now" mean?

Edited by Amottica on 31 August 2024 05:30
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it might be helpful to explain exactly what the 'old DLC' system is/was and how it differs from what we have now.
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    My interpretation of the OP:

Do you want to go back to 2 dungeon packs, a zone, and a chapter each year instead of the current chapter and dungeon pack?

My answer to that is both a yes and a no.

I don’t want ZOS to stop releasing new systems like Infinite Archive and the new PvP one coming soon, but I felt like there were a lot more balance changes when we were getting a second dungeon pack each year which is something I miss.

As far as the yearly zone, it was clear as day that Galen was supposed to be a part of High Isle, as The Deadlands were the second half of Blackwood, but were purposely separated to artificially inflate the year of content. We’ve seen this for a while, adding Apocrypha to the Telvanni Peninsula was great, it felt like we got a complete chapter.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    My interpretation:

"Back" to the thing it recently changed from since they are probably talking about the present change over.

Conclusion: Q1 dungeon Q2 chapter Q3 dungeon Q4 small zone dlc, the system we had for 6 years prior to the changeover.

So, yes.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 31 August 2024 07:54
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Back... to how it used to be when Orsinium, Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood were DLCs? Back to before the "chapter" nonsense where we have to pay for DLC that we used to get with ESO+ subs?

Yes, I'd like that.

But ZoS broke the bank with Orsinium, it was too good, too big, too expansive - a DLC with more content than most "chapters".
    So they changed the deal and introduced chapters - dungeon, chapter, dungeon, minor "completion" zone to finish the story started in the chapter.

Still too much, ZoS changed the deal again with a stroke of genius! Replace the "completion" zone with "QoL" and bug fixes... everyone wants bug fixes right? Then you can use the work on the "completion" zone as the basis for a whole new chapter, eking out content for one year into two years! And instead of giving a DLC to ESO+ players, you get them to pay for bug fixes instead of sorting out your own code! It's win-win for ZoS, but lose for ESO+ :(

ZoS have altered the deal twice now, pray they don't alter it further because it's never been to our advantage.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should go further if they want to sustain any significant amounts of actually active and dedicated players, not only going back but doing PvP updates along the way as it was before, having chapter launches a yearly free update for everyone so launch would again be an event, something long ago lost in time due to fragmentation of community and loss of absolute most dedicated players. Not even talking about looking at their writing team, nosedive here is easily observable and noticeable resulting in lost players who were there for the stories (not talking about tes addicts who will consume everything, been there myself).
  • Ilumia
    Ilumia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Well, I've unsubbed because I'm so disappointed in the so called QoL improvements they've been doing instead of dlcs. Too many of them or the so called optimizations have been the opposite for me, and I miss those things. Such as 30 day guild listings and mail and character achievements instead of account wide.
    I thought eso would be profitable enough that they might be able to do more for the players than what's been going on for a while.
    I get that sometimes churning out massive amounts of new content, and a constant increase in systems that need new content with each dlc (companions, antiqueties, tot, scribing and so on) could mean that a dlc (2-dungeon or the q3 small zone) sometimes would have to be skipped. But at this rate I just feel like I'm a cash cow for milking.
  • derkaiserliche
    derkaiserliche
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The idea wasnt bad but trading a whole storyline for some "improvements" noone asked for is horrible.

I hoped they would do a lot more for housing/pvp instead of this feature 90% of the players dont really want.
    Especially since the forum is full of suggestions like bard houseguests, furniture bag, being able to use beds, etc etc. It wouldnt really take much to please a lot of players in the housing community imo.

And yea my hopes for the pvp update are already incredible low, so i dont get dissappointed again.
    Edited by derkaiserliche on 31 August 2024 10:50
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes and no.
    i would love to get zone dlcs in quarter 4 updates again, but stuff like the infinite Archive is also fun to me.
    And conpanions being moved to update 44 might mean they will be available to everyone for free which would be awesome, especially awesome if that were to continue.

miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    My interpretation:

"Back" to the thing it recently changed from since they are probably talking about the present change over.

Conclusion: Q1 dungeon Q2 chapter Q3 dungeon Q4 small zone dlc, the system we had for 6 years prior to the changeover.

So, yes.

I'm not one of them because I liked that system, but people complained so much about it that ZOS changed it to the present system.
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • peacenote
      peacenote
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Yes
      I want the second set of dungeons back in rotation.
      My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
      • Advocate for this HERE.
      • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    • SkaiFaith
      SkaiFaith
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I am not against more DLCs or more zones; I like them!
      I am against the "one story split in 2 leaving you 6 months with a bad taste of uncompletedness".
      I'd love to have an Orsinium + a Murkmire in a single year! Not much returning to the year-long stories.

Don't get me wrong, stories that pan out on multiple DLCs creating a continuum CAN be good. But in my opinion they aren't when they leave you with a feeling of suspance like "ok what I've done until now is completely useless until I see where the ending will land". We need the feeling of accomplishment, and postponing it every time gets frustrating.

For comparison: I felt like Morrowind + Clockwork + Summerset were very well designed, since every zone felt something by itself, even if there was a communal plot. Stories like Greymoor or Blackwood on the other hand felt roughly cut in June only to have something to add in November - at least that's how it felt to me.
      Edited by SkaiFaith on 31 August 2024 12:07
      A: "We, as humans, should respect and take care of each other like in a Co-op, not a PvP 🌸"
      B: "Too many words. Words bad. Won't read. ⚔️"
    • Treeshka
      Treeshka
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Maybe no longer yearly chapters but more dungeons, zones and every two year paid Chapter. But definitely more updates in between.
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      I MUCH preferred the previous iteration (dungeon dlc, chapter, dungeon dlc, chapter finale/small zone). I'm not very happy with what we have now, but I really don't see them returning to the "old ways"....
      Edited by TaSheen on 31 August 2024 13:44

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    • ThoraxtheDark
      ThoraxtheDark
      ✭✭✭
      Now
      The old system was extremely repetitive and boring.

- same 6 delves 6 world bosses 2 public dungeons
      - new trial
      - quest line that wraps it self up in 6 months
      - 3 overland sets, 4 trial sets, 3 crafted sets, pvp sets maybe
      - no pvp content
      A new gimmick that is sometimes completely forgotten about after a month

Why would you want to go back to this
    • vsrs_au
      vsrs_au
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      It doesn't matter what our answers are, the vendor has made up their minds.
      PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
    • SeaGtGruff
      SeaGtGruff
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      vsrs_au wrote: »
      It doesn't matter what our answers are, the vendor has made up their minds.

https://youtu.be/puJePACBoIo?si=Li1tJ-_Y3FIpmeiQ
      I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    • Syldras
      Syldras
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      It doesn't have to be exactly like before, but personally, I'm really unhappy with the reduction of zone content we've seen in the past years. First, they removed the Q4 dlc, even with the claim that they would want to increase the quality of the main chapter instead, which didn't really happen; instead, chapter content now has been reduced, too. The number of chapter quests dropped over the years. Writing got worse (although it has improved a little since High Isle - but since High Isle was the worst release they ever made, this wasn't hard to achieve). The zone got smaller. Last year had both the Peninsula and Apocrypha at least, this year, we only got one, rather small, map. Compared to the first years, with Morrowind and Summerset, it's obvious that the quality isn't the same anymore. Of course, they still charge the same price.

Edited by Syldras on 31 August 2024 16:31
      @Syldras | PC | EU
      The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
      Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
      Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
      Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    • joergino
      joergino
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I really wouldn't have minded the reduction of content that much if there had been any actual quality of life improvements and any noticeable bug fixes in the quarter three patch. Instead a lot of work was put into the most pointless addition the game had ever seen, the Infinite Archive.
    • colossalvoids
      colossalvoids
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

- new trial
      - no pvp content

It's still the same, but less. People aren't talking about their stale approach really but about getting less of the same without anything to compensate (qol patch brings nothing people hoped it could, still same broken product years after)
    • Blacknight841
      Blacknight841
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      I would have been fine if the developers actually gave us some QOL improvements in Q3, however after two years, there has been no “amazing” improvements. The housing tours are lack luster, showing a partially thought out system that could have been refined further before implementation.

Personally… if the next year's patch notes for Q3 is nothing but a single line reading “treasure maps will now stack”… I would consider it more of an improvement than what we got this year.

ESO dlcs/chapters have had nothing but diminished content since morrowind.
      Edited by Blacknight841 on 31 August 2024 20:28
    • DoofusMax
      DoofusMax
      ✭✭✭
      "Yes" or "Now"? Sounds a lot like "yes or yes". For reasons which make sense to ZOS (they don't have to make sense to the rest of us), their production cycle is now a dungeon pack and a chapter each year. Whether that changes in the future probably depends on how it looks to the bean-counters.
      I'm fresh out of outrage, but I could muster up some amused annoyance if required.
    • GuuMoonRyoung
      GuuMoonRyoung
      ✭✭✭✭
      Yes

- new trial
      - no pvp content

We still have the same or less but in a 2 year cycle instead of one. So what is wrong with wanting the same in an one year cycle again?
    • chessalavakia_ESO
      chessalavakia_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      I prefer the old system.

The back half of the year doesn't really leave you with much to look forward to doing under the current system.

QOL just isn't that exciting.

The new systems tend to be aimed at small enough sections of players that for most people it's not delivering something you really want to do.

The main update of the year has improved slightly in my view over the old system but, the improvement isn't large enough to justify the costs.
    • Destai
      Destai
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Yes
      I’m mixed, but overall would prefer the old release cadence. However, the YLS writing style wasn’t as enjoyable as more self contained stories. I didn’t enjoy seeing major content end on a cliff hanger. I did however enjoy the volume of content. Like some others have said, if got something like a chapter and a self contained small dlc zone like Murkmire, that would be great for me. I don’t personally feel like the last two years have had enough content. Gold Road especially was way too light of a chapter.
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      I love cliffhangers.... there's a reason Misty Lackey is my favorite author....

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    • HappyTheCamper
      HappyTheCamper
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I don’t need 4 dungeons.

The zone dlcs I would be willing to take back, only if we are allowed to do crafting writs in the Q4 cities.

Lilmoth, Markarth, Senchal, Fargrave, Vastyr, etc. You can’t do crafting writs here. Why? There is no argument or excuse for this. I would love to make most of these cities my main if we could do them.
    • Syldras
      Syldras
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      Lilmoth, Markarth, Senchal, Fargrave, Vastyr, etc. You can’t do crafting writs here. Why? There is no argument or excuse for this. I would love to make most of these cities my main if we could do them.

For what ever reason they don't have tavern rooms either.
      @Syldras | PC | EU
      The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
      Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
      Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
      Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    • tomofhyrule
      tomofhyrule
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      I'll take whatever we get, but I have to admit that the reduction in dungeons was a bit of a blow. I love dungeons, and I love collecting the motifs from them. With half the number of dungeons and zones, that also led to fewer style motifs as well.

I'm interested to see what's coming up, but I'd love more encounters. The Infinite Archive was great (at least until they locked the class fashions...), but I do miss new and interesting dungeons every 6 months.
    • LPapirius
      LPapirius
      ✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      ZOS has not reduced the price of their chapters and expansions, so they shouldn't be reducing the amount of content either. Pretty simple really.