Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS, Massive Spike in Ping/LAG in Recent Days - What Gives?

• LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <snip>
    In recent days there has been a massive spike in PC NA ping/lag. Usually when the servers go down for maintenance the ping/lag improves for a few days but the spike we have seen the last week or so is abnormal.<snip>

Well you make some assumptions in your post, so here's mine:
    • All the NA PC players that were suspended have all logged back in to catch up.
    • The BIG DATA issue is real and your experience supports that.
    Overall the average ping has risen from around the 75ish (for me) to 350ish.
    That is still better than my normal 450ms.

One advantage of 450ms is some things become clearer. Before the CP system was revised, way back when max CP was 660, I could see some performance issues, linked to other players.

I'd be tripping along, picking flowers and singing 'The hills are alive..." when my character's progress would stutter and bounce around. After a while, I noticed that this happened only when I was coming into close proximity to high-CP players. The problem disappeared after the CP revision.

However, the same scenario started to re-appear when advanced players started hitting CP1600 and beyond. It was corrected with some other change later than I can't recall.

So when hundreds or thousands of players with high-end, big-database characters get together to thrash out mathematical calculations with each other, something has to give. Good luck!
    Edited by LaintalAy on 9 May 2024 02:56
    REQUIREMENTS NOT MET
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not only random spikes to 999+ ping, disconnects etc. Since last patch ESO legit disconnects my connection as well...
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Could you please advise, as this seem to affect quite a few people.
  • Thorncrypt
    Thorncrypt
    ✭✭✭
    I've had to do dailies with 300-400 ping on the EU mega-servers.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    ―Black Sacrament incantation

• Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly enough the only places I haven't been getting kicked from are Cyrodiil, Dungeons, and Trials. Anything overland is just a ticking timebomb for me. It doesn't stop the lag spikes though. That is persisting everywhere for me.
  • Sporigudinai
    Sporigudinai
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday at Cyro i though i was like The Flash, moving around at full speed while everyone standing still
    PC-NA
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This started happening to me PC NA in overland last night. I was running around questing in Necrom. I'd press walk but my character wouldn't move for a few seconds, then start, a few steps, stop cold, a few steps, stop cold, etc. I have the in game /ping running (not an add on) and it was only 110 at the time. I finally just quit for the night.
    Edited by anadandy on 10 May 2024 12:20
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here and I've never experienced this type of in game lag in ten years playing ESO. No changes in my Internet at all and now I routinely see my ping go from 60 ms to 2371 ms and stay there until it disconnects. This happens all the time now and makes it hard to complete dungeons and arenas.

Had this happen yesterday in Vet Selene's Web and in Vet Vateshran Hollows. This was in about two hours total of game time.
  • ceruulean
    ceruulean
    ✭✭✭
    Last night we had bad lag inside the Cloudrest trial. We would rubberband, and time felt like we were 5 seconds behind. We could not clear vet Cloudrest due to the amount of mechanics in there, and when we decided to go from +1 to +0 we had trouble killing the miniboss because of desyncs and people dying to things that aren't their fault. We had multiple people complaining about it.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JanTanhide wrote: »
    Same here and I've never experienced this type of in game lag in ten years playing ESO. No changes in my Internet at all...

Same. I can see it sometimes when looting containers. Wait, wait, wait, ah, container finally opens. This has never happened to me before.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game freezing is getting worse. But only on NA, this isn't happening when I play on EU so there is definitely something going on with the NA server.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • RicAlmighty
    RicAlmighty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Removed]
    Edited by RicAlmighty on 13 July 2024 01:45
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday at Cyro i though i was like The Flash, moving around at full speed while everyone standing still

Yeah, I've noticed that too. When the lag hits, my character starts zooming around faster than his normal sprint speed. I automatically "let off the gas," so that I don't outrun the surroundings and crash. Then everybody else zooms back into frame, and freezes for a second.... then back to normal(ish.)

Very disconcerting.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    JanTanhide wrote: »
    Same here and I've never experienced this type of in game lag in ten years playing ESO. No changes in my Internet at all...

Same. I can see it sometimes when looting containers. Wait, wait, wait, ah, container finally opens. This has never happened to me before.

I get that lag especially bad when looting surveys. And Master Gatherer has no effect on it or not. I'll run up to the survey, swing the tool, then approach the next node, and the [E] is grayed out, and my guy just stands there. So I move to the next node... same thing. Then after a few seconds of doing nothing, he loots the node.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no update from anyone at ZOS? Disappointing. @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno

Didn't have any communication when we had the 3 days of multi hour roll backs in cyro and nothing here... come on.
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭
    I think the most we saw in any thread regarding it was essentially ''Yea we heard theres lag, will pass it along''
    Edited by Just_Attivi on 18 May 2024 19:20
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The game is basically unplayable with these lag spikes.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this another thread on this topic again? And why only PC-NA? PC-EU have issues too.
    Just yesterday the PC-EU was pretty unplayable in some hours in overland, but no one is bothering with that.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Problems mostly since May 7 or when the last patch was, both servers have problems. Both EU and NA, but obviously not all players are affected.
    Personally, I played with wife a bit on NA and before the PTS debacle, when they mixed the database with the live version, we had a tolerable ping up to 120 at most. It wasn't great, but it was playable, weaving didn't go through at times, but take it to hell. We didn't play it for the trials. Now 200+ with spikes up to 999+ most of the time.
    We both mainly play on EU (Central Europe) and until recently we had a ping of a nice 46-66, max 86 +/-. But lately, and probably since the last patch, everything is lagging in some hours. NPC dialogues, craft boards, can't even jump on the stupid mount. Ability and bar lags. Ping increased to 120 - 180 all time with peaks of 266, 560, 999+
    But it's a fact that we've never had connection errors and server kick-outs.

Our PC, router, gateway are fine. Internet on fiber optic works at full speed (2/1gbps). I tried to ping and tracert both servers. From our side everything is fine, other mmo's are working at 1*. So the problem must be on the ZoS side, or akamai or ISP (but I doubt).
    Edited by davidtk on 19 May 2024 09:29
    Really sorry for my english
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, had pretty bad ping spikes yesterday and disconnects on PC NA. It did finally calm down in the later evening, but there was a chunk of the day where even just running around a delve was impossible (kept disconnecting and terrible lag). Got off and went to WoW, had zero issues there. And I'm beyond tired of people saying it's something on the players end when the only common factor is ESO and everything else runs fine.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fizzylu wrote: »
    And I'm beyond tired of people saying it's something on the players end when the only common factor is ESO and everything else runs fine.

Yes, countless folks have said that all their other games and internet apps run fine, and it's only ESO that has issues for them. So clearly it's not a client side problem.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jaraal
    It's something, that's for sure. And the whole "well, it's not affecting everyone" argument seriously doesn't mean anything. I'll never pretend to be an expert, but even in WoW.... the game has a little notification area where the company can give some information to the players. It's usually about coming maintenances and them acknowledging/updating about current issues with the game. One of these notifications that is occasionally seen there is about how there's connectivity issues impacting SOME players and they are aware and working on a fix (love this level of communication, btw). Lots of times when I see this, my time playing is completely fine. A smooth as butter gaming experience. So clearly, in my opinion, an issue doesn't need to impact everyone in order for it to mean that it's something on the games side. And I really wish Zenimax would acknowledge this as well.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday I was on PCEU for the afternoon and it was fine, but after evening dinner, (Offpeak in EU) it was woeful. Mounting my horse took about 10-20 seconds. The game was unplayable, so I quit.

However I headed over to PCNA, and the ping was totally fine. I played there for a few hours without issues.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    fizzylu wrote: »
    And I'm beyond tired of people saying it's something on the players end when the only common factor is ESO and everything else runs fine.

Yes, countless folks have said that all their other games and internet apps run fine, and it's only ESO that has issues for them. So clearly it's not a client side problem.

Yup, its server wide def not a pc issue here. I'm running current gen top hardware (yes overkill for ESO) so it's not an issue here, or with firewalls/networks/ports, etc.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to say.... I connect over HughesNet satellite. I haven't had any of these issues.... ever.... really.
    My ping is not good at all (550 ms+ - 770+ ) on a "regular" basis - satellite is NOT a "real broadband" connection. But it suffices for my particular sort of gameplay.

I haven't done a traceroute for a very long time - but the last time I did.... it was just weird. And google keeps "finding" me in nearly every western US state, on a rotating basis (which is certainly fine with me - google has NO idea where I really am....)

I'm of course quite happy the game works for me. I'm also NOT happy that so many others are having issues - AND that ZOS hasn't bothered to post anything at all. *sadface*

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I just want to say.... I connect over HughesNet satellite. I haven't had any of these issues.... ever.... really.
    My ping is not good at all (550 ms+ - 770+ ) on a "regular" basis - satellite is NOT a "real broadband" connection. But it suffices for my particular sort of gameplay.

I haven't done a traceroute for a very long time - but the last time I did.... it was just weird. And google keeps "finding" me in nearly every western US state, on a rotating basis (which is certainly fine with me - google has NO idea where I really am....)

I'm of course quite happy the game works for me. I'm also NOT happy that so many others are having issues - AND that ZOS hasn't bothered to post anything at all. *sadface*

Curious... how often do you play, what server do you play on, what time do you play. Makes a big different.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious... how often do you play, what server do you play on, what time do you play. Makes a big different.

Early morning to mid afternoon US MDT. Both PC servers - so PC EU is always on peak (9 hours later from my local) and PC NA is off peak I play every day, from around 7 am US MDT until around 3 pm US MDT - unless I have to drive either an 80 mile or 140 mile round trip for husband's doctors or just "shopping".

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

• Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lag going on right now is absolutely insane... worst I have seen it in a few years to be honest.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Early morning to mid afternoon US MDT. Both PC servers - so PC EU is always on peak (9 hours later from my local) and PC NA is off peak I play every day, from around 7 am US MDT until around 3 pm US MDT - unless I have to drive either an 80 mile or 140 mile round trip for husband's doctors or just "shopping".

Good info. I think the bulk of these complaints are from PC/NA/GH.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC-EU had today "population drop" at 14:00UTC and they still don't say anything about server performance in any of the several threads here.
    Edited by davidtk on 19 May 2024 15:00
    Really sorry for my english
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good info. I think the bulk of these complaints are from PC/NA/GH.

Yeah, I was assuming it was group content and pvp, neither of which I do. So, nice for me, not nice at all for people who play the content (or try to....) that I'm just not interested in!