The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Have you played your own Hardcore/One Life mode?

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    When I want that kind of gameplay experience I play Don’t Starve instead.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No but I play in kind of a similar way when I'm rping/questing where I try to not let my characters die or do things that would for example break all 200 something of their bones like jumping off cliffs that they survive with 1% hp.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, I'm not able to do that.

I get attached to all of my characters in a very short time. It's like I can't help it.
    But that's probably because I put significant time into deciding what their personality and other attributes will be before I create them.
    During that process they become more than just "characters," they become partners.
    I don't formally RP, but all of my characters have at least a rudimentary backstory before they land in-game for the first time.
    And if I don't get something right, I know it within a short few levels/time playing, and will delete and re-create until I do.

My two Khajiit characters (one male, one female) are good examples. It has taken me years to get a Khajiit character right (to my liking), and I just recently accomplished it. It's a double win, in the sense that my male cat is the first male character (of any race) that I've been happy with.

Edited by Grizzbeorn on 28 March 2024 13:22
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • Maitsukas
      Maitsukas
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Good luck getting a trifecta in trials that way.
      PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
    • Varana
      Varana
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      No
      I don't even understand the appeal of this in other games that offer the option natively.
      Part of a hard fight in a video game is the cycle of failing - adapting - failing - adapting - [ ... ] - succeeding.
      Can't really do that with permadeath.
    • ghastley
      ghastley
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      All that does is add the grind of building the character to every death, instead of just learning from the mistake and repeating the task where you failed.

I suspect this only appeals to those who can’t learn.
    • Artim_X
      Artim_X
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      Sounds like a waste of time for a game that isn't designed to be a rougelike especially with the variety of ways one can die in this game (bugged out mechanic, slaughter fish, fall damage, vet content, etc.).

If someone deleted their character every time they died, I doubt they would be able to reach the content that sparks joy for them before inevitably quitting.
      (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
      Electric-Burn/Stun
      https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
      • Damage Dealing Build.
      • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
      • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
      • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
      Electric-Heal
      https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
      • My Healer Build.
      • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
      • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
      • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
      Electric-Ward
      https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
      • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
      • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
      • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
      • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
      Electric-Vamp
      https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
      • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
      • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
      • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
      • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
      Dawnfang
      https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
      • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
      • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
      • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
      Duskfang
      https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
      • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
      • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
      • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
      PvE Starter Gear
      https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
      • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
      • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
      Race
      https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
      • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
      Mundus Stones
      https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
      • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
      • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
      • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
      Current Champion Points
      https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
      • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
      • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
      • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
      • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
      • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
      • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
      Favorite Foods and Potions
      https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
      • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
      • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
      • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
      • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
    • Blood_again
      Blood_again
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      Not in this game.

Challenges like no-death run for arenas, dungeons and trials are cool. But it would be too much time consuming for nodeath the whole character lifetime.

Also there is too much random or group related things in ESO to have real fun of perma-death mode.
      Imagine a group of perma-death players who try to farm some trial gear. Who wants to be the most hatred tank or healer in the history of ESO? I guess that level of blaming would be unimaginable :)
    • freespirit
      freespirit
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      No
      As a person who frequently does stupid things..... like go make a cup of tea having just killed something, only to return to find a pile of ash where I was standig.

I think I would rarely last more than a day!! 🤣
      When people say to me........
      "You're going to regret that in the morning"
      I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
    • MJallday
      MJallday
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      Who’s going to tell the OP that you start off dead…
    • Necrotech_Master
      Necrotech_Master
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      it really depends on the game lol

like i enjoy quick action rogue likes, but those can get boring/frustrating if they are too hard to progress, or too difficult to make it that far

for this kind of game, definitely not, though i still try to avoid dying
      plays PC/NA
      handle @Necrotech_Master
      active player since april 2014
    • Reverb
      Reverb
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Obligatory Other
      I personally haven’t but during Covid lockdown I watched my wife to a permadeath RP character. She started with regular clothes and a dagger and did the local Auridon quests the way the thought a townie would. No magic or class skills or anything like that.

She had rules around equipping gear and stuff but I don’t remember them. She made it to level 30 something before she died and deleted.
      Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Danikat
      Danikat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      I've done it in other games, and thought about it in ESO but I haven't attempted it yet.

If I ever do I think I'll add some additional rules, otherwise I'd be tempted to take the safe but boring path and level mainly/entirely through safe things like crafting and event quests which don't involve combat, which doesn't really feel like it's in the spirit of the challenge.

At the same time I'd want to keep group activities to a minimum because I wouldn't want to cause problems for the rest of the group by having to be overly cautious (or have some troll try to get me killed).
      freespirit wrote: »
      As a person who frequently does stupid things..... like go make a cup of tea having just killed something, only to return to find a pile of ash where I was standig.

I think I would rarely last more than a day!! 🤣

That's part of what makes it fun for me when I've done it in other games, it's very different to how I normally play and forces me to think about things in a new way.
      PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    • Anifaas
      Anifaas
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      I'd love this mode but ESO is not stable enough for my liking to engage in such. Hardcore WoW on the other hand is amazing.
    • SeaGtGruff
      SeaGtGruff
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Obligatory Other
      SeaGtGruff wrote: »
      I will never understand how making things difficult for ourselves is supposed to be fun.

Playing a game in a more challenging way can be fun, but it also depends on whether the person kniws what they're doing

It has nothing to do with knowing what we're doing. I know how to do laundry but I wouldn't give up using my washer and dryer to beat my clothes on rocks in a stream just for the extra challenge.

I enjoy my strong characters feeling like strong characters.

What I meant was, if someone wants to make a game more challenging by playing it a certain way, it can be fun for them if they know what they're doing, but it can be very much un-fun if they don't actually know what they're doing. Whether their way of playing the game is fun to you, or to me, or to anyone else isn't really the point; all that matters is whether it's fun to them.
      I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    • katanagirl1
      katanagirl1
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      No
      Not my idea of fun.
      Khajiit Stamblade
      Dark Elf Magsorc
      Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
      Orc Stamplar PVP
      Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• GrizzlyTank
      GrizzlyTank
      ✭✭✭
      This game is too trivial outside of dungeons and world bosses to make hardcore interesting.

Also hardcore in online games just begs you to get killed by the stupidest reasons such as lag.
    • jtm1018
      jtm1018
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      [Snip] even souls are not like that, sufferage for fun, hells no.

[Edited for profanity bypass]
      Edited by ZOS_Volpe on 17 April 2024 15:20
    • Amottica
      Amottica
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      No
      Yes, I do this leveling to L50

If the character dies, HE DIES

Makes it a lot more fun.

I have never found it to be challenging to level a character to 50.
      No because the Vestige is canonically immortal so that would be immersion breaking.

Very good point.
    • Danikat
      Danikat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      I will never understand how making things difficult for ourselves is supposed to be fun.

Playing a game in a more challenging way can be fun, but it also depends on whether the person kniws what they're doing

It has nothing to do with knowing what we're doing. I know how to do laundry but I wouldn't give up using my washer and dryer to beat my clothes on rocks in a stream just for the extra challenge.

I enjoy my strong characters feeling like strong characters.

What I meant was, if someone wants to make a game more challenging by playing it a certain way, it can be fun for them if they know what they're doing, but it can be very much un-fun if they don't actually know what they're doing. Whether their way of playing the game is fun to you, or to me, or to anyone else isn't really the point; all that matters is whether it's fun to them.

I agree with this, and one of the things I like about player-run challenges rather than official modes or achievements is it lets each person tailor it to their preferences and playstyle, but to do that you have to have a good understanding of both the game and how you like playing, to know what will work.

I like attempting no-deaths runs in another MMO because (like ESO) dying is pretty trivial so my normal playstyle is very careless. According to my guild my catchphrase should be "Oops, there was a cliff back there". But I also like playing tactical RPGs where you have to plan each encounter, so having a character where I need to think more carefully about the risks I'm taking is a fun novelty for me.

I also added a bunch of additional rules, because otherwise I could just do something like level by crafting with no risk and that wouldn't be fun or a challenge. Some are rules suggested by other people, but I get to pick and choose/invent ones which work for me.
      PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    • Anumaril
      Anumaril
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      No, but I'm definitely not against it. The issue for me would be that I only really play on one character, so making a new character like this isn't my slice of pie.

But while I'm questing on my main I do regularly keep track of when I die, thinking things like "this is the first time I've died in this zone's questline", etc.
    • peacenote
      peacenote
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      No
      It's not my thing. I'm kind of glad I never had friends who were into MMO's that were as punishing as all that... I wouldn't have enjoyed it. But to each their own!
      My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
      • Advocate for this HERE.
      • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    • ElvenOverlord
      ElvenOverlord
      ✭✭✭✭
      No
      lol
    • Uvi_AUT
      Uvi_AUT
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      No, because youre supposed to be immortal storywise.
      Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
    • nathamarath
      nathamarath
      ✭✭✭
      Yes
      Yes, but he fell from a cliff. Maybe it was better that way. I didn't try again after that.
      give a man a fish and he is happy for a day. give him a video game and he is happy for months, maybe even years
    • RaddlemanNumber7
      RaddlemanNumber7
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      No
      No, but I've played out a couple of similar character-deleting scenarios.

My first few attempts at a "no kill" character got deleted the very first time they got any kind of kill count on their achievements.

Played a narrated character with a short career story. She basically did CwC, DB and TG, then got deleted because it was the end of the story and I needed the slot to create a different character.
      PC EU
    • kojou
      kojou
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      No
      I would only do this if they gave a "hardcore" character a fully upgraded mount, and all the skill lines (kind of like a PTS character without the inventory). It would be too much of an investment to get all of this going only to lose it when you accidentally fall of a cliff in Wrothgar.
      Playing since beta...