The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Have you played your own Hardcore/One Life mode?

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The game doesn't offer you one, but you could easily play that way yourself. Create a Character, and play it until you suffer a death. Log out and delete, and recreate a new Character to start over. Have you tried, or are doing this currently, and are you fining enjoyment in it at all?
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!

Have you played your own Hardcore/One Life mode? 140 votes

Yes
6%
kypranb14_ESOArc1ightRebornV3xRedFireDiscoMrGarlicBenTSGnathamarathAlwaysDancingVulkunne 9 votes
No
89%
Kikazaruvailjohn_ESOBelegnoledaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOWhiteCoatSyndromeKendaricdmnqwkDanikatfreespiritAlienSlofqwaurckAuriellelion_heart_2000ub17_ESOAektannTX12001rwb17_ESOkojouTheDarkRulerElsonsoTannus15SilverBride 125 votes
Obligatory Other
4%
Master_FluffReverbToanisxclassgamingSeaGtGruffk5k 6 votes
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Not my idea of fun in ANY game.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Personally I like the idea of hardcore leagues etc. but this game kinda have intention for you to die, repeatedly so to learn (like Dark Souls for example). You can try something like that with overland though, but to die you're probably would need a desync or ping spike honestly and it's not what makes hardcore fun for me personally. It's just a different game.

In games like D2 or PoE it makes much more sense with how the game structured and played though so I enjoyed it there. Even single player tes ones can be a good ones in that regard, I surely did "hardcore" runs there.

• OsUfi
    OsUfi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I'd enjoy that style of play if it was available as an option with rewards or titles, but on it's own back with no upside? No.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I see absolutely not value in that.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes once. I died before I got to level 50. I haven't done it again. :)
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No and unfortunately the challenging content where it would be thrilling to play hardcore mode a lot of times death would be out of your control kinda making it feel bad.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Sounds fun with all the lag, disconnects, skills not registering, potions not activating, etc.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on 27 March 2024 20:58
    PC NA
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obligatory Other
    I've never deleted a character, and currently have no plans to, but I typically play the Infinite Archive as a "one strike and you're out" challenge, meaning I resurrect back at the entry room and leave as soon as I lose my first thread.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    It's pointless to try this in eso, given the blatantly lack of difficulty.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obligatory Other
    havent tried it yet, would have to make some extra rules to go with it.
    Give us clannfear mounts!
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Absolutely not. I despise this in nearly every game. I play video games to "escape into a fantasy world," not burden them with real world logic.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 27 March 2024 22:46
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I will never understand how making things difficult for ourselves is supposed to be fun.
    PCNA
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Sounds horrible, but I play ESO to relax and have fun. To each their own.
  • ikzaa
    ikzaa
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why anyone would want to do that, but to each their own.

It sounds boring as hell.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, I appreciate some of the ways that Morrowind was challenging, with no passive health recovery so you’d need to use a potion or find somewhere safe to sleep, and lots of things could kill you when just starting out so you’d have to reload from a save point. I like there being a sense of danger and some loss of convenience or progress with character death, but NOT loss of the character. That sounds the opposite of anything fun to me.
  • RedFireDisco
    RedFireDisco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, I do this leveling to L50

If the character dies, HE DIES

Makes it a lot more fun.

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obligatory Other
    I will never understand how making things difficult for ourselves is supposed to be fun.

Playing a game in a more challenging way can be fun, but it also depends on whether the person kniws what they're doing.

I was watching a couple of different streamers who decided to play some of the single-player Elder Scrolls games that way, and it was painful to watch.

One guy was trying to play Skyrim at maximum difficulty using a "stealth bow" character, because "bows are supposed to be incredibly over-powered in Skyrim." He would get one mediocre shot from stealth (mediocre because he was still at low level), then the enemy or enemies would rush at him while he tried to shoot them with his bow. Needless to say, he died a lot, and if he continued to stream Skyrim then I must not have caught him during his streaming hours, because I never saw him again. The impression I got is that he was looking for a game to play and decided to try playing Skyrim that way on a lark, because he thought it would be cool or something, then moved on to something else when he couldn't win any fights and stay alive long enough to level up.

Another guy decided to play Oblivion at maximum difficulty and was trying to get the Umbra sword while he was still at a low level. In fact, he was deliberately refraining from leveling up so the enemies wouldn't level up as well. He said Umbra was essential for the way he was playing the game because of its special properties. He tried over and over and over, dying many times, before he finally succeeded in getting it. I thought he knew what he was doing, because he was able to talk the talk so to speak. Then he went back to the Imperial City and looked in some crates he'd stored his good loot in, and was upset to see that everything was gone (because those crates are not "safe" storage containers). It was at that point that I realized he had no real clue about what he was attempting, that he was probably just going by some sort of written guide he'd found, since anyone who'd ever actually played Oblivion before would have known to use the hollowed-out tree stump for storing stuff in to avoid losing everything whenever the container eventually reset. I don't know if he kept playing Oblivion, but I didn't watch.

Then there are players who can walk the walk as well as talk the talk. I was watching a guy playing Daggerfall without using any weapons, just Hand-to-Hand, and he was awesome. He was even making comments about stuff that I didn't know yet, then he mentioned that this was his first playthrough of Daggerfall! He was very impressive.

As far as ESO, it isn't too difficult to make a character for whom much of the overland content is challenging, but as far as I can tell, most players want to make things easier, not harder. In games that have a difficulty setting, players can choose to make the game easier or harder by adjusting the slider. But in games that don't have a difficulty setting-- such as ESO, Arena, and Daggerfall-- players who want more of a challenge need to increase the difficulty by wearing less armor, using weaker weapons-- or no weapons at all-- and trying to keep their attributes and skills at reasonable levels (that is, not over-powered).
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see the merit in "permadeath" challenges. Nearly any game with a "death" or "lose" condition can have a similar challenge made — it's sort of like speedrunning challenges in other games.

I'll point out that ESO has achievements for speedrunning and completing content with no group member deaths — actually, there are plenty of those sorts of challenges, ranging from singleplayer arenas to 4-man dungeons and 12-man trials.

To directly answer the question in the original post, though: I personally have not tried the permadeath challenge with any character in the overworld. Though, I have completed No Death achievements in various Veteran Mode content.
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I've never liked perma-death mechanics in any game, and never will. While I enjoy a challenge, I also enjoy building meaningful backstories for my characters, and the continuation of those stories is more important to me than playing 'hardcore'. Being able to res, and try again when one has learned more, facilitates character building for me.

In my mind, death in the game is not death anyway- it's being knocked unconscious.

Manufacturing an arbitrary punishment for failure that I have to administer to myself makes no sense to me. I do not see how it could possibly be rewarding, or what it proves. Time is a precious commodity in more than one way- I'm not one to waste it on such things.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, I appreciate some of the ways that Morrowind was challenging, with no passive health recovery so you’d need to use a potion or find somewhere safe to sleep, and lots of things could kill you when just starting out so you’d have to reload from a save point. I like there being a sense of danger and some loss of convenience or progress with character death, but NOT loss of the character. That sounds the opposite of anything fun to me.

I had far less issues with starting out in Morrowind than Daggerfall. In fact, after Daggerfall, Morrowind was a walk in the park....

I don't remember really how bad (or not) Arena was by now (I played it for months and months after release in 1994 - but.... 30 years since, and I'm anything but young so my memory - while not bad for someone edging up on 80 - does have some "bad patches" (like games I played back in the 80s and 90s).

I'm pretty sure it took me the better part of 4 or 5 DAYS to get out of that Daggerfall cave in one piece....
    Edited by TaSheen on 28 March 2024 01:31

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Playing a game in a more challenging way can be fun, but it also depends on whether the person kniws what they're doing

It has nothing to do with knowing what we're doing. I know how to do laundry but I wouldn't give up using my washer and dryer to beat my clothes on rocks in a stream just for the extra challenge.

I enjoy my strong characters feeling like strong characters.
    PCNA
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    A central tenet of this game is that the character is a special soulless one that can die and resurrect unlike regular characters
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I will never understand how making things easy for ourselves is supposed to be fun.

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    It would be pointless, considering that this game has numerous ways for you to die (due to bugs and performance based disconnects) that are beyond your control.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Not really a fan of perma death especially in games reliant on an online connection, not fun if your character dies through no fault of your own due to a disconnect with the server or input lag etc....
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yeah I did Hardcore for awhile between the time ESO was first released and One Tamriel update.

After One Tamriel, the overland/boss difficulty was so low there really was no point. I guess at that place and time I walked more of a MMO friendly path as MMOs were still kind of new to me. It was fun while it lasted though, trying to survive against different types of encounters really showed off class capabilities as well as some of the different features of the gameplay that you might not normally see. Doing so has made me better at everything with this game overtime.

And not to beat my drum on this anymore however now the overland difficulty is so weak its like why bother fighting npcs in the first place? Think of it like those Battledroids in them weird Starwars films. They were so weak and dumb its like the scenes from those movies would have by and large played out exactly the same as if those droids were never in the film.

Just like npcs here... they don't really do much so why have them?
    Edited by Vulkunne on 28 March 2024 03:54
    We Know...
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Enjoyment? ... :s
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yeah, I tried something like this with a friend very briefly. We limited ourselves to only crafted gear as well. We didn't go for long since my friend quickly got bored and stopped playing ESO again, while I just kept playig my other alts and ended up deleting the Permadeath to free up space for my Arcanist
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No because the Vestige is canonically immortal so that would be immersion breaking.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Put too much time into my characters to do it. If I did a character like that it would never make to level 50 and be extremely boring.