The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

POLL: Would you like a new Solo Arena similar to Maelstrom/Vateshran? PLUS Solo Arena Hard Modes?

• Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never finished a solo arena yet, but I don't mind if other people want them
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, I do not like solo arena...
    I would like the option to vote twice and I would vote NO again.
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES, add a new solo arena AND add a Veteran Hard Mode to all current and future arenas... w/unique rewards upon completion (think trifecta achievement, maybe skin, mount, etc)
    I would like the option to vote twice and I would vote NO again.

Ok.

Slight off-topic: Another solo arena however wouldn't go amiss. Sure, you can solo Endless Archive, but it isn't the same. New ability altering weapons would be fun (if done right), and would love to see more mini-trials too that give ability altering weapons (Asylum) that alter ultimates. That'd be interesting to add to a new solo arena, or a new mini trial.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it's like another solo maelstrom and vateshran? No

They are tedious and long and having the only important drops from them being at the end makes those 2 things even worse

If it was something that was more a single "grand" battle that when "mastered" could be quick but a challenge when learning sure but I don't want to feel like watching paint dry in another boring and long solo arena just to get a single weapon at the end
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, we need a new solo arena...
    Yes, I like this kind of content and wish we had more than just the 2. Mainly because it's something you can fail over and over without taxing anyone's patience but your own. I don't count IA because it doesn't drop any good gear, and doing it solo is infinitely worse than doing it with someone else.
    PC EU
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we need a new solo arena...
    And it should drop weapons that effect the ultimate skills.
  • Xzysts
    Xzysts
    ✭✭✭
    YES, add a new solo arena AND add a Veteran Hard Mode to all current and future arenas... w/unique rewards upon completion (think trifecta achievement, maybe skin, mount, etc)
    And it should drop weapons that effect the ultimate skills.

That could honestly be very interesting
    -Goblinu_ESO on YouTube
    Community Discord: hK4dFwE7zZ
    All-class player w/over 5,000 hours across multiple platforms
  • jcaceresw
    jcaceresw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead, I would like to complete veteran dungeons (and their achievements) with a scaled difficulty. The more people the more harder it gets. For example, the second arc difficulty of the Endless Archive could be used when solo (no companion). If using a companion, it gets a bit more difficult (more enemy health and damage). So, a four man group will face the usual veteran difficulty.

This is to make those dungeons more accessible for people who will like to complete their quests, achievements and sticker book.
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jestir wrote: »
    If it's like another solo maelstrom and vateshran? No. They are tedious and long

That depends on the player skills. In my case, Malestrom takes 30 mins, sometimes even less, and I'm a mid-level player, not even a super advanced nor pro player.

DLC Dungeons for 90% of players usally take more than 30 mins, sometimes a lot more than that.

Don't even mention DLC vet trials.

Dragonstar and Black Rose Prison, those are long arenas.

So no, Maelstrom and Vateshran are not long.

Edited by Dragonnord on 28 March 2024 13:15
    SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • ValarMorghulis1896
    ValarMorghulis1896
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Its an MMO and i like to play in a group; mostly PvP
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    “I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" Death thought about it. "CATS", he said eventually. "CATS ARE NICE.” Terry Pratchett
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current vet arenas are about as difficult as normal Mushroom Hole 1.
    HM would definitely be interesting as well as new arena.
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like solo content like 4-man content difficulty wise, not like current solo arenas that are dps races that didn't age well. IA is a step in a right direction, though with its unique builds.

Or achievements/rewards for doing 4-man content solo, since most of it is soloable anyways
    Edited by AlterBlika on 28 March 2024 16:19
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love a new solo arena. The vet version already is the hard mode. Anything more difficult than vMA or vVH would be hell and IA certainly doesn't need a more difficult mode, either get to arc 3+ or just go play Elden Ring if you enjoy suffering. Try soloing vet dlc dungeons. There is no need for content .005% of players will be able to complete.

I think much more players would able to complete such content. If there's motivation.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlterBlika wrote: »
    I would love a new solo arena. The vet version already is the hard mode. Anything more difficult than vMA or vVH would be hell and IA certainly doesn't need a more difficult mode, either get to arc 3+ or just go play Elden Ring if you enjoy suffering. Try soloing vet dlc dungeons. There is no need for content .005% of players will be able to complete.

I think much more players would able to complete such content. If there's motivation.

My motivation for playing is to have fun. Solo arenas don't provide that. They are long, tedious and not nearly as fun as playing with a friend.
    PCNA
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

My motivation for playing is to have fun. Solo arenas don't provide that. They are long, tedious and not nearly as fun as playing with a friend.

Depending on the player skill, solo arenas are long and tedious or short and enjoyable.

In my case, arenas are super fun! Regardless short like Maelstrom and Vateshran, or long like Dragonstar and Black Rose Prison.

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skill has nothing to do with whether or not a player enjoys solo arenas. I hate that there are multiple spawns for each level. And I hate standing and waiting for the next mobs to spawn. It's just a tedious stand and wait same formula for every level. Doing it faster does not make it any more fun.
    PCNA
  • Melivar
    Melivar
    ✭✭✭
    I would enjoy another group arena 4 person would be great but perhaps scalable with 4-6 People. Sometimes you just can't get enough people for a trial with a guild group, having an option for a smaller fresh group content would be a great fill in.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonnord wrote: »

Depending on the player skill, solo arenas are long and tedious or short and enjoyable.

In my case, arenas are super fun! Regardless short like Maelstrom and Vateshran, or long like Dragonstar and Black Rose Prison.

I also find Vateshran to be pretty short. But the time it takes will depend on the power level of the character. I can do normal Vateshran in less than 20 minutes. I can speed run vet as well. I got the speed run for VVH faster than the no death. I also know how to skip some of the adds, which helps with keeping it fresh rather than repetitive.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 28 March 2024 21:52
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But does "short" mean "enjoyable"? Not in my case.
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But does "short" mean "enjoyable"? Not in my case.

No. Fun is subjective. I was moreso disagreeing with the idea of "long and tedious" rather than "not fun." Fun is subjective. What's fun to one person may not be fun to another person, no matter what. But how long it takes, and how tedious it is, does improve with more runs in the arena and higher power level of the character. I actually find VMA to be less enjoyable than VVH because I can't skip adds and have to wait on them to spawn, for example.

I wouldn't find either fun on my sneak Khajiit.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 28 March 2024 22:07
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

For me personally, I 100% agree and this represents my feelings exactly regarding solo arenas. I prefer to play with friends. I spend time in solo arenas only when all of my friends aren't on, and even then, if I have time to play solo, rarely is it enough time for an arena run.

As a result, I struggle to answer the poll as worded. I would not, in any way, begrudge others who love solo arenas more solo arenas. For those who like them, two is a small number compared to the dungeons and trials that we have, and I can see why people might want more of them. And they are great for building your skills. I might even spend a little time in a new one, myself. So to say "I do not like solo arenas" at all is not exactly accurate. It would be more accurate to say "I very rarely feel like playing solo arenas."

But here's the the thing. Solo arenas are, imo, the worst farming experience left in the game (besides certain leads). So if a new solo arena comes with weapons/gear which make a significant difference in dungeons and trials, I would have to go with nope, no thanks, to a new solo arena. It is so much easier, especially with the group finder, to farm gear from dungeons and trials. Usually non perfected gear is fine, so you can get a group together and get what you need lickety split. But solo arenas take almost the same amount of time on normal as on vet, because of the wait time/spawns involved, so farming solo in arenas is awful. You're by yourself, it's not efficient, and, for me, it's taking time away from what I actually want to do, which is play with others. And there is no one to trade drops with.

Solo arenas are also the most inflexible content offering in the game because you can only play them solo, without companions. You can choose to try and solo or duo or whatever dungeons or world bosses or quests, so that content doesn't necessarily lock out the solo play even though in some cases it's designed for more players. But solo arenas? That's it. Solo or bust.

I do like the idea of having arenas offer more cosmetics as rewards, either for a new one or for hard modes or whatever, because I don't need those cosmetics for the content I prefer to play. But new BIS gear? Bleech. I checked, and I have six weapons from Vateshran Hollows unlocked in my stickerbook. They are all one handed, four blues and two purple. So by that count I've run VH twice on normal and once on vet. Certainly I could easily farm all the normal weapons, at least... but I haven't because I just have no interest spending my play time in an arena by myself for hours and hours. I've been very grateful that no one has required me to run any weapons from here, and that I was lucky enough to get the void bash pieces for my tank.

Anyway, I'd rather a new 4 person arena. That way I'd get the flexibility of running it with four people, and also eventually being able to solo/duo it on normal.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    But how long it takes, and how tedious it is, does improve with more runs in the arena and higher power level of the character.

I've completed nVH once and there won't be a second time, so I'll never find out. I hated it that much.
    PCNA
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But how long it takes, and how tedious it is, does improve with more runs in the arena and higher power level of the character.

I've completed nVH once and there won't be a second time, so I'll never find out. I hated it that much.

You did not even give it a chance.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, at least you got one clear! Congratulations 🎉 Arenas aren't for everyone, so I can understand if you didn't find it enjoyable. At least you gave it a chance. 🙂 I personally really like VH but I like IA much better. So, I don't particularly see myself going in there much anymore. I have pretty much everything VH has to offer.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 29 March 2024 04:48
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jcaceresw wrote: »
    Instead, I would like to complete veteran dungeons (and their achievements) with a scaled difficulty. The more people the more harder it gets. For example, the second arc difficulty of the Endless Archive could be used when solo (no companion). If using a companion, it gets a bit more difficult (more enemy health and damage). So, a four man group will face the usual veteran difficulty.

This is to make those dungeons more accessible for people who will like to complete their quests, achievements and sticker book.

There is no need for devaluation of group-related dungeon achievements for the sake of comforting soloists and [snip] completionists. They simply are meant to be challenges for groups.

Story, quest and stickerbook can be done on normal mode, which is already doable solo easily.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 29 March 2024 17:06
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • ZoeliTintanie
    ZoeliTintanie
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO, arena's should all be Solo-ENTRY
    There SHOULD be SOME arenas that you can QUEUE into as a group of 2+

But the BASE CONTENT (NOT TRIALS OR GROUP ARENAS) should be solo entry PVP , so we don't have to deal with premade groups that just ruin the content by camping them for rewards like they do Dolmen and take the bosses out before we can smack it once for loot unless we're grouped.

hope that makes sense.

Arenas = Solo Entry
    Veteran Mode = Group Entry

Rewards = Same.
    Playstyle = Go with friends or solo
  • Desiato
    Desiato
    ✭✭✭
    I also miss the days when vMA was considered challenging and completing it was rare. Back then, ZOS called it "aspirational content" and thought it was important for an MMO to have.

However, the playerbase in this game would never accept it. They melt down when something isn't easily accessible to them and can't handle the smallest of setbacks. Just look at the first page of General Discussion. It's unreal to me as an oldschool MMO player.

I was so sad to recently watch a casual streamer complete vMA with a heavy attack single bar build.. But that's the reality of ESO we must all accept. It's an ultracasual game and everything must be accessible to all players.
    Edited by Desiato on 11 April 2024 15:52
    spending a year dead for tax reasons
  • ThelerisTelvanni
    ThelerisTelvanni
    ✭✭✭
    I personally do not like the Arenas since they are (at least the ones I visited so far) simply boring areas with spawning waves of enemys. But I do not mind solo instanced content. I'd love to have some solo dungeons to explore that are propperly crafted ;) And I do not mind them beeing dificult with a lot of mecanics. But please spare me of simpel waves of enemys in a smal boring room.
    Edited by ThelerisTelvanni on 12 April 2024 17:17
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want anymore solo only stuff in the game I hate Maelstrom and Vatashran is even worse if its like Infinite Archive where you can bring a friend or companion then sure I love Infinite Archive but I think we have enough solo like content for now.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragonnord wrote: »
    Jestir wrote: »
    If it's like another solo maelstrom and vateshran? No. They are tedious and long

That depends on the player skills. In my case, Malestrom takes 30 mins, sometimes even less, and I'm a mid-level player, not even a super advanced nor pro player.

DLC Dungeons for 90% of players usally take more than 30 mins, sometimes a lot more than that.

Don't even mention DLC vet trials.

Dragonstar and Black Rose Prison, those are long arenas.

So no, Maelstrom and Vateshran are not long.

I assume you're talking about normal maelstrom, not vet.
    For vMA a 30 minute run is a 600k score, and literally only 2 people have got a 600k score this patch.

While I do want more solo arenas, I love me some vMA, I think there would be more bang for buck in solo modes for dungeons. Casual players have been after "story" mode for years now, but why not have different levels of difficulty and throw in some achievements and what not.

There are SO MANY dungeons now, working out some tech to allow solo mode would open up a lot of content for those who don't like the pressure of group play while giving more challenges to people who love the solo challenge.