Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Cyrodiil Population Cap Testing

• Wycks
    Wycks
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even thought there always been major issues with lag, de-sync issues are in an awful state.

Even during off-hours or far away from an actual pvp, hitting mobs in quite areas of the map the gameplay feels sluggish and disconnected between sounds, animations and actual gameplay.

1. Abilities not firing at all
    2. Constant animation de-syncs esp with light/heavy weaving and abilities.
    2. Can't hit targets even in close combat with certain skills more than others. Especially worse with ranged that requires targeting, clearly a de-sync issue.
    3. Frozen characters
    5. Can't break cc
    6. Break cc and instantly get cc'd
    The numbers thing is always going to be there, but it’s more down to player skill and there are ways through ability choice to configure a group to be stronger vs. large groups of people. - BRAIN WHEELER - 2012 - LOL
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is pointless.

Everyone has different experiences.
  • moderatelyfatman
    moderatelyfatman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that the point of the thread?
    Nevertheless, the people here reporting bad experiences outnumber the ones who have no problems. That should be worth something?
  • Laddey
    Laddey
    ✭✭
    Can anybody point me in the right direction where I can upload a video of some very noticeable bugs in Cyrodil last night that my friend experienced?

Is there a website that will host it?

I've been out of the tech-world a long time.

Ty
  • Laddey
    Laddey
    ✭✭
    https://streamable.com/ikzkl4

I've no idea if the above link will work. However, the video shows that ALL my boys abilities are unusable.

He could:
    Roll dodge
    Block
    Bar swap

He could not:
    Light or heavy attack
    Use any abilities
    Mount

He tried:
    Reload ui
    Porting to another keep

It fixed after relogging.

@ZOS_Kevin I hope this helps.

If the link it on its rear end, I will re-upload.

Please note - My boys ping is always extremely high. Therefore, he has considered his ping normal at the point in this video.
    Edited by Laddey on 8 December 2023 12:23
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that the point of the thread?
    Nevertheless, the people here reporting bad experiences outnumber the ones who have no problems. That should be worth something?

Yes. The different reporting confirms what has already long established: that anecdotal testimony is utterly unreliable without any emperical evidence.

But for the purpose of this thread; PC NA Greyhost primetime. Popped locked. 4 hours. 3 hours 58 minutes performance was fine, even when those pesky ball groups showed up. Cyrodiil was genuinely enjoyable to play because wasnt empty.

Inc. 5 people saying lag was terrible, got disconnected, skills wouldn't fire, end test immediately.

Have fun ZOS
    Edited by Joy_Division on 8 December 2023 14:34
  • Freilauftomate
    Freilauftomate
    ✭✭✭✭

90% of the people i played with ragequit ESO because of performance issues and bugs. Especially after realizing that nobody is going to fix anything, ever.

This thread might be the start of something beautiful. ZOS finally listening to concerned customers and listening to their feedback. Giving PvP some much needed love. Starting to fix broken parts of the game.

Or it's just another carrot on a stick to keep some players from leaving. Then yes, this would be pointless. For the players. Not for the company.
    The different reporting confirms what has already long established: that anecdotal testimony is utterly unreliable without any emperical evidence.

... end test immediately.

So you believe asking your customers what they think of your product is worthless and trying to do better is pointless? Please correct me if i misunderstood.
  • Freilauftomate
    Freilauftomate
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is almost nobody reporting anything here?

Where are all the people who wrote long and meticulous reports about the performance issues and bugs in Cyrodiil over the years?
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Mogli wrote: »
    I would love a general road map of the game in general. I absolutely love ESO, but not having a road map of content planned while it's a standard for other MMORPGs is concerning. I get wanting to keep new ideas a secret for a big reveal, but especially for those of us who are ESO+ subscribers, it's nice to see what is planned for the game that we are actively supporting.

Noted. We had a thread in the forum earlier last month noting this as well. We are passing this feedback on for the relevant teams to assess. But totally understand the sentiment here. Thanks for the feedback.

Many of us gave very detailed feedback on that thread, roadmaps among them. Now, we've come to the next occurrence where our suggestions could have come to life, and it doesn't happen. How have the "relevant teams" responded to our feedback and why haven't we seen a change in communication following said feedback?

PVP has been a sore spot for years, and of course people are going to want context around why a test is being done. The demand for context is something you as a CM should be anticipating and getting the stakeholders to provide. Fundamentally the test is going to be more effective if people know what to test for, and why the test conditions are different than the baseline product. Why hasn't any of the previous years of bug reports been enough to pinpoint the problem?
    Edited by Destai on 8 December 2023 18:54
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

90% of the people i played with ragequit ESO because of performance issues and bugs. Especially after realizing that nobody is going to fix anything, ever.

This thread might be the start of something beautiful. ZOS finally listening to concerned customers and listening to their feedback. Giving PvP some much needed love. Starting to fix broken parts of the game.

Or it's just another carrot on a stick to keep some players from leaving. Then yes, this would be pointless. For the players. Not for the company.
    The different reporting confirms what has already long established: that anecdotal testimony is utterly unreliable without any emperical evidence.

... end test immediately.

So you believe asking your customers what they think of your product is worthless and trying to do better is pointless? Please correct me if i misunderstood.

Zos has been asking us for 10 years. Asks us every PTS. Lets just say the reputation for heeding feedback is not good.

It's not even being cynical to say that your hopes that this thread will lead to something beautiful is misplaced optimistism. That fact of the matter is there has been no pvp update in years, no pvp dev, and an established track record.

I wouldn't go quite so far to say the test is just a carrot. No. Performance has gotten better, and they are testing to see if it's better enough to make Cyrodiil better. The intent behind the test is genuine.

But that's ZOS'S story: the intent is always there, the resources aren't. Rich said himself he'd love to add pvp content, but everytime they have, they made the lag worse. So the lion's share of resources go elsewhere.

How i think they should have done the test is not tell us: remove the very real noise of confirmation bias, unrealstic hopes, irreversible cynicism, placebo effects, and the flaws in human memory. Asking for feedback is fine. There were better ways to go about it, to make it more worthwhile.
    Edited by Joy_Division on 8 December 2023 23:52
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Wait 30 minutes in queue
    2. Look at the map
    3. Head towards location that seems to have some activity
    4. Crash
    5. Get banned upon trying to log back in

Thanks ZOS.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are all the people who wrote long and meticulous reports about the performance issues and bugs in Cyrodiil over the years?

I think because this whole thing has been poorly advertised. There is no in game banner, most players ingame do not have forum accounts or use the forums, there is no clear idea of what exactly they want videos of, and what they're hoping to gain from those videos.

I reported my experience the other night along with several videos of specific bugs and explanations of the bugs, but those issues have been present for some time now. I can only imagine it will be difficult and time consuming for them to sort through what they do receive and to determine what is an actual bug, what is performance related, what is a result of the new testing conditions, and what is simply user error.

The other fact is that most people who cared enough to do these things gave up on the game years ago.
    Edited by React on 8 December 2023 19:53
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • StShoot
    StShoot
    ✭✭✭✭
    On Friday Ravenwatch PC EU was capped (poplock for red and yellow two bars for blue)and it was surprisingly lag free. But if Zos wants to keep those higher caps and expects them to be filled, than Proksets (like VC) need to be re-enabled. There is literal nothing you can do to even the odds if the enemy has a larger pop.
    Edited by StShoot on 8 December 2023 21:11
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The performance is noticeably worse, but I gotta say that I'm having more fun in Cyro than I have in a long time.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting a lot of disconnecting, especially in or near bigger fights.

Other than that, the increased numbers of players is great fun when it works. ZOS just needs to do what it takes to support a higher population in Cyrodiil. That's all there is to it.
  • dvonpm
    dvonpm
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't notice a huge difference on GH 12/7 around 8-11 EST. There were some really rough moments in big fights, but there always are.

I did dc once and I normally don't, although it happens. And there were several ball groups and a hammer in the same location, on top of most of the rest of the population. It's always bad when that happens.

Outside of that it didn't feel a whole lot different to me and there was still a ~40 queue.

• IndyMike26
    IndyMike26
    ✭✭
    Is this live for consoles yet? I saw “later this week,” but the week ends in two days…
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi All, just a quick update before the weekend.

We'd like to thank everyone who has taken part in the ongoing population cap testing in Cyrodiil so far. The test is now running on all PC servers, and as a reminder the rewards are available on all servers and platforms. As this is a stress test, we do expect things to get a bit bumpy at times - especially during "prime time" when population in Cyrodiil is at its highest. We appreciate you helping us with the test by hopping into Cyrodiil and playing. We're getting helpful data - we'll follow up at the end of the test to summarize how it went.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    IndyMike26 wrote: »
    Is this live for consoles yet? I saw “later this week,” but the week ends in two days…

@IndyMike26, we made an error in the original post. We have since edited that post. The population test will only be for PC at this time. However, double AP is still active on console.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • ForumSavant
    ForumSavant
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi All, just a quick update before the weekend.

We'd like to thank everyone who has taken part in the ongoing population cap testing in Cyrodiil so far. The test is now running on all PC servers, and as a reminder the rewards are available on all servers and platforms. As this is a stress test, we do expect things to get a bit bumpy at times - especially during "prime time" when population in Cyrodiil is at its highest. We appreciate you helping us with the test by hopping into Cyrodiil and playing. We're getting helpful data - we'll follow up at the end of the test to summarize how it went.

Thanks for the update. The most important thing to the vast majority of us who play PvP in ESO is performance, so I hope these tests give some insight into how much stress cyro can handle, and I really hope big pop changes don't happen unless more resources get allocated, because even under the normal pop caps, there are still issues with performance.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Really, they want bug reports with videos. Not really forum posts
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight was the worst performance on PC NA since the server upgrade. It's gotten a little better as players log off for the night but during peak hours it was like the server upgrade never happened. 2-3 seconds for an ability to fire.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on 9 December 2023 04:34
    PC NA
  • dcrush
    dcrush
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC/NA GH:

- my ping is about 150-200ms higher than before this test (normally 300, now 450-500)
    - Skill delay seems worse than before the server upgrade and often skills are not firing at all. Ultimates become spammables because you have to keep hitting the button in the hopes it will go off
    - Positional desync is back to where it was before server upgrade - with gap closers I will see my toon have the jumping animation, then nothing happens and 2 seconds later I’m suddenly in a different place. Either that or I jump to a target behind me. Dark Conzergence is pulling way outside of its supposed range again and showing up way too late as an aoe (I’m assuming also as a result of positional desync)
    - Break free rarely works, and multiple times I got stuck in a break free loop where my toon did the animation but was still stuck
    - CC immunity does not exist (not a new issue)
    - No disconnects so far in about two hours of playing
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I didn't have too much of a problem tonight where I did Wednesday night. Others in my group did. Some said they have yet to have issues. I can see where it would be a hard thing to nail down for ZOS but at the same time; I don't sympathize with the long gaps of silence and seemingly no interest in trying until now
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was in Blackreach tonight PC/NA and it ran well. I don't know how Grey Host went but Blackreach, when I was in it, ran well. I was EP and we had a great fight at Arrius where 2 different AD ball groups showed up, DC one also showed up and we had an organized group of our own and no issues. The first time that's happened in a while.
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The performance in really big fights has been pretty bad. Lots of rubberbanding, and hitting skills 10 times to get them to go off, but IMO, the performance degradation is worth it. The map feels alive again in a way that it hasn't in a very long time. Part of that is down to the bonus AP for sure, but another part of it is definitely letting enough people in that multiple fights can happen and an allegedly poplocked faction isn't dead silent.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It keeps disconnecting me every time I approach some area where all the fun is.
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been kicked 3 times in 20 mins PC EU Greyhost - think something is very wrong, took 10 mins to get back in at one point kept getting internal error message. the first 2 times i was near a big fight but the 3rd time i dont think i was, i just logged back in and the keep seemed pretty quiet but then kicked.
    I'll give it a rest now though, and play something that works.
    Edited by Starlight_Knight on 9 December 2023 22:27
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been playing GH on PC-EU since the test started, my experience so far:
    • New servers handle heavy load better (or less bad) than the old ones, so far I've only been disconnected once during a big siege.
    • New servers (or maybe the client by now) still can't handle certain fights. All the issues caused are existing ones that occurred before the higher cap: no barswapping/skills/abilities, audio stutter, game showing it's running 60fps but feeling more like 5, desync... Common causes are still big zergs of players (hammer fights for example) or certain ballgroups (seems some guilds put a heavier load on the game than others).
    • Higher pop caps are AMAZING! It feels like wednesday evening (EU) they were at their highest, and discounting the game performance, it was the most fun I've ever had in Cyrodiil. Standing on the wall at Aleswell and watching the fight between DC and EP was just epic. This was no longer a skirmish between two groups of players, but warfare between two armies. Please please please ZOS, find a way have a high pop cap AND good performance. Because this is the game I really want to play.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    loosej wrote: »
    Been playing GH on PC-EU since the test started, my experience so far:
    • New servers handle heavy load better (or less bad) than the old ones, so far I've only been disconnected once during a big siege.
    • New servers (or maybe the client by now) still can't handle certain fights. All the issues caused are existing ones that occurred before the higher cap: no barswapping/skills/abilities, audio stutter, game showing it's running 60fps but feeling more like 5, desync... Common causes are still big zergs of players (hammer fights for example) or certain ballgroups (seems some guilds put a heavier load on the game than others).
    • Higher pop caps are AMAZING! It feels like wednesday evening (EU) they were at their highest, and discounting the game performance, it was the most fun I've ever had in Cyrodiil. Standing on the wall at Aleswell and watching the fight between DC and EP was just epic. This was no longer a skirmish between two groups of players, but warfare between two armies. Please please please ZOS, find a way have a high pop cap AND good performance. Because this is the game I really want to play.

I fully second what you’ve written. It matches the experience I’ve had yesterday and the day before.

I thoroughly enjoyed the most epic fights I’ve had in a mmorpg