The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Ranged vs Melee Magblade. Does range even exist?

• RemoryAzure
    RemoryAzure
    ✭✭✭
    well, overall thought on the topic - with how overpowered overall NB is, a ranged version deserves to be atleast B tier, maybe even A- in proper hands, but even with the soulcleaver set, which i both like and dislike very much, swallow soul mNB lacks damage and utility which it has with crushing shock + draugrkin set (i made a topic about this before). also it lacks proper ranged ult to be played as ranged build.

so, these are core downsides that must be looked at to make ranged mNB the meta build to play, and honestly this HAS to be done coz basically there isnt a single ranged meta build in the game (but i would actually prefer magsorc to be one here)
    Maybe as a community we could come up with a unique way to buff Swallow Soul?
    Here's an example:
    Steal an enemy's life force, dealing 2160 Magic Damage and healing you for 35% of the damage inflicted every 2 seconds for 10 seconds. When you heal an ally with Swallow Soul slotted, increase the damage done by this ability by 5%, up to 10 stacks. At 10 Stacks this ability becomes un-dodgeable.

This would help by giving ranged Magblades some extra burst, it would help with the pain point of everything ranged Magblades do is easily dodged, and it stays with the healer-theme that the Siphoning skill tree already has built into it. It also avoids further buffing Melee Magblades any further.

Thoughts? I love my ranged Magblade, I have mained ranged Magblade since I started on Xbox in 2014, and continued that adventure on PC in 2017.

i dont like this suggestion coz the main playstyle of NB is solo pvp, and ranged mNB will still be trash in this with the suggested changes, while in party play (bg's included, just run with someone and spam heal 10 times) it will be oneshot killing machine coz with soulcleaver swallow soul would have 2160x1.5x1.18 = 3823 power, which is 80% of bowproc every single second

i have an idea (and i mentioned it before somewhere) that would be more realistic and honest to implement: swallow soul should do an additional 540 base AOE damage to enemies under the effects of cripple. AOE is undodgeable and the small part will not be that much overpowered as the whole ability, also it should not increase healing part of the ability, and it will make the whole skill tree more valuable with the soulcleaver
    Options
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭
    FoJul wrote: »
    So the other day I played NB ranged with crushing shock as the spamable. It was okish but to be honest to me the class doesn't feel fun at range and I don't think buffing ss would be enough by a long shot. I mean you also have the ranged immobilize skill with a dot but even so you need another ranged skill and ult and at that point you're making something like a sorc and losing identity.

I'd like for this to be a thing but I feel like this would take a lot of treating and doing to make it work and even then it would likely work but night not have identity.

I'm ok with just buffing ss but I was fine with the damage of cs, just didn't have the other parts of a ranged kit to really back it up.

I mean honestly, you're on the right track of admitting what's wrong with Range Blade. A buff to swallow soul will help pressure. Merciless Resolve is just fine, maybe even to much. Meteor can work just fine as a ranged ult.

Realistically, if I were to write a list of things I think could make Rangeblade compete, would look like this ;

Manifestation of Terror- Its already kinda ranged, but its ground target, so its useless. Make it similar to javelin. Single target stun.

Impale-Fix the scaling. Possibly make it 35% instead of 25%.

Cripple and Debilitate- need more damage, bottom line.

Swallow Soul- Add Major or minor lifesteal and remove the heal. That way the heal is a set ammount, and not OP. Every second cast to swallow soul, has its damage increased by 25%-35%. Somewhere in there.

Realistically the defense is already solid in nightblades toolkit, so maybe fix dark cloak and remove that standing still mechanic. Make it scale off of max mag aswell.

To be 100% honest, I'd take a merciless 20%-50% nerf for any one of these changes. Can't change my mind.

I mean after you do all that though you'll just be a NB with stuff from other class toolkits. This can work but it feels like there's no theme.

Like with meteor yeah it works but not that well unless you have a cc that goes through block but other classes already do that combo so again it's working but where's the identity?

Honestly now blade makes the most sense when you think about ranged blade including ranged ult, stun, etc but it's also over done and nearly cheese at this point.

I don't have anything against the changes you're asking for I just hate to see another class potentially become homogenized.

Rangeblades used to use inferno staff stun. With the changes, it's not effective.

You do realize the meteor combo started on OG magblade right? So saying I can't get a change because of identity sounds ignorant. back when fear was either 8 or 10 meters.

On top of that, Cripple and its morphs is a useless dot, as the dot does no damage.

Fear is class identity, and making the ranged fear more usable wouldn't be stripping it of its identity. Making swallow soul what i mentioned would nerf the heal on swallow soul and buff the damage. Everytime i make a forum about swallow soul people say "But swallow soul is a heal" so that problem is solved.

Like i said at the end of my post. Ill take any ONE of those changes for a merciless nerf. Nothing i said rips identity from the class.
    Options
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭
    well, overall thought on the topic - with how overpowered overall NB is, a ranged version deserves to be atleast B tier, maybe even A- in proper hands, but even with the soulcleaver set, which i both like and dislike very much, swallow soul mNB lacks damage and utility which it has with crushing shock + draugrkin set (i made a topic about this before). also it lacks proper ranged ult to be played as ranged build.

so, these are core downsides that must be looked at to make ranged mNB the meta build to play, and honestly this HAS to be done coz basically there isnt a single ranged meta build in the game (but i would actually prefer magsorc to be one here)
    Maybe as a community we could come up with a unique way to buff Swallow Soul?
    Here's an example:
    Steal an enemy's life force, dealing 2160 Magic Damage and healing you for 35% of the damage inflicted every 2 seconds for 10 seconds. When you heal an ally with Swallow Soul slotted, increase the damage done by this ability by 5%, up to 10 stacks. At 10 Stacks this ability becomes un-dodgeable.

This would help by giving ranged Magblades some extra burst, it would help with the pain point of everything ranged Magblades do is easily dodged, and it stays with the healer-theme that the Siphoning skill tree already has built into it. It also avoids further buffing Melee Magblades any further.

Thoughts? I love my ranged Magblade, I have mained ranged Magblade since I started on Xbox in 2014, and continued that adventure on PC in 2017.

i dont like this suggestion coz the main playstyle of NB is solo pvp, and ranged mNB will still be trash in this with the suggested changes, while in party play (bg's included, just run with someone and spam heal 10 times) it will be oneshot killing machine coz with soulcleaver swallow soul would have 2160x1.5x1.18 = 3823 power, which is 80% of bowproc every single second

i have an idea (and i mentioned it before somewhere) that would be more realistic and honest to implement: swallow soul should do an additional 540 base AOE damage to enemies under the effects of cripple. AOE is undodgeable and the small part will not be that much overpowered as the whole ability, also it should not increase healing part of the ability, and it will make the whole skill tree more valuable with the soulcleaver

Nah, cause then swallow will scale on AOE instead of single target.

Swallow Soul- Applies (major or minor) lifesteal for 10 seconds. Every second cast has the damage increased by 35%.
    Options
  • Bushido2513
    Bushido2513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the other day I played NB ranged with crushing shock as the spamable. It was okish but to be honest to me the class doesn't feel fun at range and I don't think buffing ss would be enough by a long shot. I mean you also have the ranged immobilize skill with a dot but even so you need another ranged skill and ult and at that point you're making something like a sorc and losing identity.

I'd like for this to be a thing but I feel like this would take a lot of treating and doing to make it work and even then it would likely work but night not have identity.

I'm ok with just buffing ss but I was fine with the damage of cs, just didn't have the other parts of a ranged kit to really back it up.

I mean honestly, you're on the right track of admitting what's wrong with Range Blade. A buff to swallow soul will help pressure. Merciless Resolve is just fine, maybe even to much. Meteor can work just fine as a ranged ult.

Realistically, if I were to write a list of things I think could make Rangeblade compete, would look like this ;

Manifestation of Terror- Its already kinda ranged, but its ground target, so its useless. Make it similar to javelin. Single target stun.

Swallow Soul- Add Major or minor lifesteal and remove the heal. That way the heal is a set ammount, and not OP. Every second cast to swallow soul, has its damage increased by 25%-35%. Somewhere in there.

Realistically the defense is already solid in nightblades toolkit, so maybe fix dark cloak and remove that standing still mechanic. Make it scale off of max mag aswell.

To be 100% honest, I'd take a merciless 20%-50% nerf for any one of these changes. Can't change my mind.

I mean after you do all that though you'll just be a NB with stuff from other class toolkits. This can work but it feels like there's no theme.

Like with meteor yeah it works but not that well unless you have a cc that goes through block but other classes already do that combo so again it's working but where's the identity?

Honestly now blade makes the most sense when you think about ranged blade including ranged ult, stun, etc but it's also over done and nearly cheese at this point.

I don't have anything against the changes you're asking for I just hate to see another class potentially become homogenized.

Rangeblades used to use inferno staff stun. With the changes, it's not effective.

You do realize the meteor combo started on OG magblade right? So saying I can't get a change because of identity sounds ignorant. back when fear was either 8 or 10 meters.

On top of that, Cripple and its morphs is a useless dot, as the dot does no damage.

Fear is class identity, and making the ranged fear more usable wouldn't be stripping it of its identity. Making swallow soul what i mentioned would nerf the heal on swallow soul and buff the damage. Everytime i make a forum about swallow soul people say "But swallow soul is a heal" so that problem is solved.

Like i said at the end of my post. Ill take any ONE of those changes for a merciless nerf. Nothing i said rips identity from the class.

A NB is an assassin, a stealth one at that. The current skills align with that identity to me.

Even picking up a bow and arrow makes sense due to a well placed kill shot.

So when I say identity and speak of meteor not making sense I'm saying it doesn't fit the theme for an assassin to be throwing around loud meteors.

There's a difference between class identity and combinations of skills that just work.

That's my point, even if we make all the changes you want, you'll have your ranged killing machine but you might as well call it whatever you want because it won't really be in the identity of NB.

Just imagine the description, strike from the shadows, well ok not really from the shadows but with melee that assassin is known for, oh wait we're using ranged now, ummm ok cool

Ok well um just play how you wanna play and forget about that bothersome theme, lore, identity lol
    Options
  • RemoryAzure
    RemoryAzure
    ✭✭✭

Nah, cause then swallow will scale on AOE instead of single target.

uh, it wont? it will still be a single target spell with single target direct damage on main part
    example: sorc's storm atronach has 2 different types of damage, AOE on arrival and single target afterwards, change the CP's and u'll see that Deadly Aim and Biting Aura boost only corresponding damage part of the skill
    the reason why i suggested AOE is to make it undodgeable like people want here in this topic. i wont be upset if it will still be a single target thing

the problem is, that people want more interactions between skills, and changes like these achieve some goals that HAVE to be achieved:
    1. rather then buffing single ability, more skill interactions will bring the whole skill line to the playable state
    2. NB is known for its ease and buffing raw damage will only bring ranged build on top of tier lists next to melee one, while my suggested change requires u to press atleast 1 more button instead of just spamming SS
    3. also, the goal is to buff NB to playable state without making it pure cancer like melee build, and SPLIT damage surely helps with that, coz when u build crit damage, with single number on the skill it multiplies the whole value and it leads to some cancer hits (like on melee builds). i played SS nb only once - when it was oakensoul initial release, it allowed SS to hit ~10k on crit, 2-3 crits in a row and ur enemy is basically dead. split damage will prevent it from happening by naturally using 2 rolls for crit instead of one.
    4. and one more thing for further utility - who said that suggested AOE part MUST be magic, huh? why, for example, not make it random like caluurions? to increase utility and give ranged NB some status effects? or atleast make it bleed damage, for the sake of blood magic theme on the skill tree. split damage + bleed dot and debuff proc will increase NB's damage to the very solid state without making SS's single crit almost oneshot enemies like it was with oakensoul release.
    Options
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭

Please don't scale off of max magicka. It's needed for tanks as the only other HoT you can have is green vigor. I'd like the standing still thing be removed. I'm having a hard time in a lot of scenarios where I have to move as a tank:
    • Z'maja kite
    • Z'maja portal when >= 2 orbs
    • vDSR maelstrom
    • vDSR reef guardians
    • vDSR when the AOEs spawn on twins
    • vRG when you have to run
    Edited by Zastrix on 29 January 2024 09:47
    110-114k Stage 4 Vamprie Magblade u39
    Aldmeri Dominion did nothing wrong in Shadowfen.
    Options
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭
    Zastrix wrote: »

Please don't scale off of max magicka. It's needed for tanks as the only other HoT you can have is green vigor. I'd like the standing still thing be removed. I'm having a hard time in a lot of scenarios where I have to move as a tank:
    • Z'maja kite
    • Z'maja portal when >= 2 orbs
    • vDSR maelstrom
    • vDSR reef guardians
    • vDSR when the AOEs spawn on twins
    • vRG when you have to run

Well then, make it scale off your max resource. Im really meaning talking about the standing still mechanic.
    Options
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭

A NB is an assassin, a stealth one at that. The current skills align with that identity to me.

So when I say identity and speak of meteor not making sense I'm saying it doesn't fit the theme for an assassin to be throwing around loud meteors.

There's a difference between class identity and combinations of skills that just work.

That's my point, even if we make all the changes you want, you'll have your ranged killing machine but you might as well call it whatever you want because it won't really be in the identity of NB.

Just imagine the description, strike from the shadows, well ok not really from the shadows but with melee that assassin is known for, oh wait we're using ranged now, ummm ok cool

Ok well um just play how you wanna play and forget about that bothersome theme, lore, identity lol

When you talk about nightblade, and its identity. Here is the lore of nightblades. I didn't make it up you can search it yourself.
    z82rpmnt6jby.png

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Nightblades

Sounds more like a shadowy mage to me. Swallow Soul 100% fits the shadowy mage theme. While stealthy MELEE concealement is mentioned. Its not the core of the classes theme.
    Options
  • Shadowbinder7
    Shadowbinder7
    ✭✭

When you talk about nightblade, and its identity. Here is the lore of nightblades. I didn't make it up you can search it yourself.
    z82rpmnt6jby.png

Sounds more like a shadowy mage to me. Swallow Soul 100% fits the shadowy mage theme. While stealthy MELEE concealement is mentioned. Its not the core of the classes theme.

I agree with OP of this thread. I think many players would agree with me if I simply express it that with the Nightblade class, the “rogue assassin” type was always meant to be the stamina nightblade spec, meanwhile the magblade spec has always fit the “shadowy/blood mage/wizard” type.

Unfortunately with all devs changes to this class you’ve forced mag and stam to steer towards the in your face assassin with daggers playstyle.

Please for the sake of play style diversity claims you often make, buff range blade as suggested, ideally by buffing swallow soul in some non game breaking way, for both PVE and PVP, sucu that the gap between a ranged mag blade playstyle and melee stamblade (or melee mag blade if you prefer for some reason) is negligible.

You make changes every patch I’m sure the devs team responsible can come up with something that doesn’t make NB broken

Bottom line, OP is right. Buff swallow soul, buff the range blade in PVE especially. Make it on par with say Magdk and Magplar in the current update!
    Options
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭

z82rpmnt6jby.png

I agree with OP of this thread. I think many players would agree with me if I simply express it that with the Nightblade class, the “rogue assassin” type was always meant to be the stamina nightblade spec, meanwhile the magblade spec has always fit the “shadowy/blood mage/wizard” type.

Unfortunately with all devs changes to this class you’ve forced mag and stam to steer towards the in your face assassin with daggers playstyle.

Please for the sake of play style diversity claims you often make, buff range blade as suggested, ideally by buffing swallow soul in some non game breaking way, for both PVE and PVP, sucu that the gap between a ranged mag blade playstyle and melee stamblade (or melee mag blade if you prefer for some reason) is negligible.

You make changes every patch I’m sure the devs team responsible can come up with something that doesn’t make NB broken

Bottom line, OP is right. Buff swallow soul, buff the range blade in PVE especially. Make it on par with say Magdk and Magplar in the current update!

Keep in mind there is value in versatility: If ranged Magblede is as powerful as meleee Magblade, why play melee?

Perhaps the argument shouldn't be that ranged be buffed, but that encounter more varied.
    Options
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's already very powerful to be able to do your damage from range and disappear whenever you want because you are at range.

What is the justification for giving ranged blades better damage than what they already have access to and can deliver more safely than even mag sorcs?
    Options
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭
    It's already very powerful to be able to do your damage from range and disappear whenever you want because you are at range.

What is the justification for giving ranged blades better damage than what they already have access to and can deliver more safely than even mag sorcs?

Your rangeblade and my rangeblade definitions are a bit different.

Im not talking about a ganker my guy. I don't even want cloak on my bar. Unless it's a better working dark cloak like the Mageblade prime.

And Rangeblade does more dmg than sorc?????...c'mon are we even playing the same game?
    Edited by FoJul on 13 April 2024 05:15
    Options
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently the meta is ranged!

9 out of 10 players are running range!
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
    Options