The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Templars needs a sustain/survivability buff

DDiggler
DDiggler
✭✭✭
My sorc and templar are both using relequen + pillar which are pretty much BIS, both are dark elf

My sorc is running max hp + max mag food, has great sustain. My templar is running max hp + max mag + mag recovery, terrible sustain.
My sorc has 26,5k hp and 21k resistances(thx to hurricane), my templar has 21,9k hp and 15k resistances
My sorc runs faster due to hurricane, has simpler rotation, and have a good damage shield option, templar has none of that(unless you slot an ability for it which decreases dps)
My sorc has 6k more dps than my templar

Now why on earth would i play a templar, for slightly better cleave damage on adds?

Same for dragonknights. They have better sustain, more survivability, more cleave damage, more group utility and similar damage to templars. Templar feels so bad to play in pve. I dont have a pvp templar but im sure they arent doing great there either, seeing 90% players i see in cyro are dk or warden.

This is not a thread for nerfing sorcs or dks!!! Templars needs a sustain/survivability buff pls(or buff jabs so we can drop one or two dots for utility, like back in the days)

{edited title to better reflect idea]
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on 7 April 2023 03:33
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templar has problems but not the survivability and sustain ones, those are fine

surviving as a templar is all about the healing not the sheilding due to the sheild skills being a gimmick, plus the mag jabs has heals on it as does one morph of our execute

as for sustain, two words, rune focus. it's +484 recovery (242 per second)

Lack of mobility is baked into the class design, they are meant to be a "stand a fight" class

The actual issues templar has are
    -lack of group utility
    -poor dps (outside of spamming beam)
    -stam version if a joke
    -tank options are gimick at best
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah I remember back in the day of the Greymoor release. Thrassian Strangers and Blood for Blood vampire builds on Magicka Templars…
  • DDiggler
    DDiggler
    ✭✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »

i would like to slot rune focus if it didnt take away from dps a massive chunk. Templar right now is literally running 2 spammables + 8 dots which is very hard to rotate on top of all the other issues i said
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar dps is decent in 4man content, but I get it is outclassed by most other classes damage wise. But I have been having really good success with a Templar Tank in 4man dlc vet content (hm included).
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Tank general build sets (just if you curious):
    Double bar pearlescent ward
    Front bar vateshrans s&b
    Backbar turning tide (ice staff)
    Mythic Bloodlord embrace
    1 piece monster shoulder for whatever stats you want

I choose bloodlord embrace specifically for plar because of the amount of magic based skills plars need.
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly why hybrid is a bad idea. Out of 12 people, normally at least 7 is either dk or necro
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly why hybrid is a bad idea. Out of 12 people, normally at least 7 is either dk or necro

Not really a hybrid problem. That's a design problem that could be addressed.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

So they aren't all Oakensorcs? :)
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDiggler wrote: »

i would like to slot rune focus if it didnt take away from dps a massive chunk. Templar right now is literally running 2 spammables + 8 dots which is very hard to rotate on top of all the other issues i said

Make it 2 spammables and 7 DoTs than. You have a tool to solve Your issues but You are refusing to use it. Your DPS would drop anyway if You wouldnt be able to sustain.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main is Bosmer stamplar and I honestly have no issues with survivability, and sustain is generally really good. Now, Stamina Bosmer does have that nice Stam Recovery passive over Dark Elf... which helps. Also, Stamina is more comfortable blocking, dodge rolling, and sprinting with mechanics, which helps survivability. I don't want to just say "survivability" sounds like a skill issue... but.... I don't run anything special for resistances, or healing as DPS, and I often am the last one to drop if things go south. Knowing where to stand and when to block is usually enough.

On Sustain, in all honesty, I do burn pretty hot. I usually bleed about 150 stamina per second while parsing. However, Repentance and potions usually fix that issue.
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the content I do my Magplar is doing fine in survivabilty and sustain even when soloing bosses, the healing from jabs is like having ring of pale order on.
  • Al_Ex_Andre
    Al_Ex_Andre
    ✭✭
    Templar has problems but not the survivability and sustain ones, those are fine
    The actual issues templar has are
    -lack of group utility
    -poor dps (outside of spamming beam)
    -stam version if a joke
    -tank options are gimick at best
    When I signed for the game 1,5 years ago, my understanding was that templars were tank gimmicks, but they were good dps and healers? Aka poor dps as you point it, don't adequate good DD. And in PvP, tested dps magplar recently (near the rank of Major now), a joke too. We are heal bots and that's it?

• Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa. I think Survivability on a Magplar is one of the best in game. But hey, thats me.

And sustain is quite good if you lean into hybrid playstyle with two or three Stamina DoTs. I have Trap and Rending Slashes or Deadly Cloak on the frontbar. I think that works just fine. Obviously that works only with a Dual Wielding front bar.
    Or I use Power of the Light, if the Tank has no reliable minor breach.

Sustain is always a question of how you use abilities. If one spams Blazing Spear, one can run out of juice rather quickly, for example.

Templar has been gutted in terms of DPS in Trials, that is for sure. But in SOLO, Templars are still S tier.
    Anyone says different, they play it wrong.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Deltia is back calling Templar "God Mode" when using Rune Focus (with the upcoming buff). Also, many Youtubers are still ranking Templar extremely high. Templar is pretty much 'easy mode' for solo players... I should know, I've been a Templar main for years and have five alts that are all Templars.

However, as I've said in other Templar posts, there are still a lot of angry Templar players who continue to hold a grudge after U35, and until those changes are reverted (which they won't be), they will just continue to say Templar is bad due to their own personal vendetta against the class as it is now.

When I returned after leaving the game when U35 dropped, I initially tried Necro, and then tried Warden again... but ultimately returned to Templar and honestly didn't find it much different than it was pre-U35 other than the animation. I can still complete all the content I previously ran without a problem.

However, I'll be switching over to Arcanist when Necrom launches. If I get bored with it, I'll just switch back to Templar. :)
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Well, Deltia is back calling Templar "God Mode" when using Rune Focus (with the upcoming buff). Also, many Youtubers are still ranking Templar extremely high. Templar is pretty much 'easy mode' for solo players... I should know, I've been a Templar main for years and have five alts that are all Templars.

However, as I've said in other Templar posts, there are still a lot of angry Templar players who continue to hold a grudge after U35, and until those changes are reverted (which they won't be), they will just continue to say Templar is bad due to their own personal vendetta against the class as it is now.

When I returned after leaving the game when U35 dropped, I initially tried Necro, and then tried Warden again... but ultimately returned to Templar and honestly didn't find it much different than it was pre-U35 other than the animation. I can still complete all the content I previously ran without a problem.

However, I'll be switching over to Arcanist when Necrom launches. If I get bored with it, I'll just switch back to Templar. :)

I also main Templar (PvE and PvP) and I have to say, Templar already has great survivability and sustain. The change to Rune Focus is only going to make that better! However, MOST classes have good survivability and sustain at this point. This doesn't really set Templar apart from other classes.

Templar's biggest issue is that it hits like a wet, pool noodle. Don't get me wrong, Templar can bring the deps and does have good burst still, but we REALLY have to work hard for it and 60% of the time it does nothing to my opponent. Everyone is just too tanky and has too good regen. A good portion of the time, I initiate a fight, neither them nor I can kill one another, neither them nor I are running out of resources, we part ways and walk away...

My PvP Templar
    Bosmer Stamplar

Head - Med - Balorgh
    Shoulder - Med - Balorgh
    Chest- Heavy - Wretched Vitality
    Arms - Med - Unleashed Terror
    Belt - Med - Unleashed Terror
    Legs - Heavy - Trainee
    Boots - Med - Unleashed Terror
    Necklace - Swift - Wretched Vitality
    Ring - Swift - Wretched Vitality
    Ring - Infused - Death Dealer's Fete
    Weapon 1 - Two Handed Mace - Unleashed Terror
    Weapon 2 - Sword/Shield - Wretched Vitality
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish the stamina variant of templar had more stamina morphs in the class skill lines
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar need more stamina options and secondary resource regen somehow ,every calss have some options in that category DK have battle roar that restore every resources instead only 1 you choose. As a templar we need something like that too especially if you play stamplar you still are forced to use magicka spells too function or scaling with best max resource few spells like living dark or breath of life.

Off course damage buff will be pleasent too but zos want weak templars because they are easier punch bags this way.
    Edited by mmtaniac on 4 June 2023 16:41
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I wish I could open bar space up.

spammable, major sorcery, rune, vigor, ER, gap closer, living dark, execute, and Restoring Aura leave you with one last spot for burst heal, breach, cc, reveal, etc.

Honestly a gap closer might be what I’d drop first, however in cyrodiil, you’re not going to be great in melee without one 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Mansquito
    Mansquito
    ✭✭✭
    The best defence is a good offence. Templars have a good survival kit, although sometimes it is overstated by people who don't play the class. The problem arises when you don't pose a threat to your opponent, who can therefor be on the front foot, pressuring you until the inevitable moment where you run out of resources or make a mistake. And it is highly likely it'll be you and not them that does this because your jabs just tickle them, your PotL/PL doesn't even do that. They are molten whipping you and pitying you at the same time.

So ultimately what you are left to do is stand in your runes (remember, Templars are not mobile, apparently this is because they are to 'stand and fight'), pop your Living Dark, use Honour the Dead a lot and wait until someone comes and takes the heat off of you. Then beam and beam and beam once someone else does the hard work.