The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.2 is available.

The Sorcerer changes are completely inadequate

• axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdamLAD wrote: »
    axi wrote: »

How am I wrong here excatly?

watching it on stream rn, i can clearly see that its like 10 times better than streak with the only downside that mistform takes ~20% more time which isnt noticeable at all (~0.75s full length mist form against ~0.6 sec for streak with its animation lock), and also the most important thing here is that both are happening faster than standard GCD, which makes them equal in speed

So what mobility adventages mist form actually have? Because streak is first and foremost a mobility tool. And if You think the time difference is only around 20% than You really didn't watch streams carefully.

As I've said, Streak locks you into a fixed range that only moves in the direction that your character model is facing - this is a important for dealing with Root CCs where you can't change the direction you're facing - with a Sorcerer your direction and distance is completely predicable. The new Mistform lets you go any direction any (within the range) distance. It is MUCH more flexible.

You know camera movement and movement keys exist right? If You want to move in "any" direction while using mist than You wont get teleport and when You want to teleport it's still a quick teleport in one direction.

For a mobility streak will still be a king mist does not come close since it have lots of mini rules to work like ground AoE targeting or double clicks.

Funnily enough streak+mist makes some interresting combo. Both make each other more effective.

Once again, untrue. Mistform's teleport can be placed in any location within the range just by pointing the target there. Streak you have to physically turn your character model and you always go the exact same distance. I don't understand why you're being so insistent that these changes aren't exactly what they clearly are. The "double click" "issue" is completely removed by the extremely common base-game setting for automatically casting ground targeted abilities. It is not a real drawback to the mistform teleport.

And what You need to do to place said placements in any location? Turn Your camera and "aim" at the location You want to travel to. Which is excatly what You will do to teleport with streak in desired direction. When You use streak it teleports You wherever You point at excatly like mist since it rerquires atrgeting. Just check it out turn around Your camera while chartatcer isd still facing different direction and use streak. Your character will automatically turn around and streak. Instant cast ground AoE abilities option actually makes this ability more cluncky for some reason and when i said about double click I mean You need 2 casts of mist or 1 cast of something else and than cast of mist to get teleport on each cast. Atleast this is how mist works for me and for some other people on PTS so there are some inconsistencies with the ability itself.

Streak does not go in the direction of the camera. If your player is facing North but camera south it will streak north.

Yes it does? It takes literally second to test that out. Just stand still turn Your camera 180 degree and use streak. You will notice Your character automatically turns around and streaks in the direction You were aiming at not the one he was facing. It's been like that for ages. You can even turn Your character around mid streak animation if You turn Your camera around in a proper moment so Your character will end up facing opposite direction than the one he was streaking in.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

watching it on stream rn, i can clearly see that its like 10 times better than streak with the only downside that mistform takes ~20% more time which isnt noticeable at all (~0.75s full length mist form against ~0.6 sec for streak with its animation lock), and also the most important thing here is that both are happening faster than standard GCD, which makes them equal in speed

So what mobility adventages mist form actually have? Because streak is first and foremost a mobility tool. And if You think the time difference is only around 20% than You really didn't watch streams carefully.

As I've said, Streak locks you into a fixed range that only moves in the direction that your character model is facing - this is a important for dealing with Root CCs where you can't change the direction you're facing - with a Sorcerer your direction and distance is completely predicable. The new Mistform lets you go any direction any (within the range) distance. It is MUCH more flexible.

You know camera movement and movement keys exist right? If You want to move in "any" direction while using mist than You wont get teleport and when You want to teleport it's still a quick teleport in one direction.

For a mobility streak will still be a king mist does not come close since it have lots of mini rules to work like ground AoE targeting or double clicks.

Funnily enough streak+mist makes some interresting combo. Both make each other more effective.

Once again, untrue. Mistform's teleport can be placed in any location within the range just by pointing the target there. Streak you have to physically turn your character model and you always go the exact same distance. I don't understand why you're being so insistent that these changes aren't exactly what they clearly are. The "double click" "issue" is completely removed by the extremely common base-game setting for automatically casting ground targeted abilities. It is not a real drawback to the mistform teleport.

And what You need to do to place said placements in any location? Turn Your camera and "aim" at the location You want to travel to. Which is excatly what You will do to teleport with streak in desired direction. When You use streak it teleports You wherever You point at excatly like mist since it rerquires atrgeting. Just check it out turn around Your camera while chartatcer isd still facing different direction and use streak. Your character will automatically turn around and streak. Instant cast ground AoE abilities option actually makes this ability more cluncky for some reason and when i said about double click I mean You need 2 casts of mist or 1 cast of something else and than cast of mist to get teleport on each cast. Atleast this is how mist works for me and for some other people on PTS so there are some inconsistencies with the ability itself.

Streak does not go in the direction of the camera. If your player is facing North but camera south it will streak north.

Yes it does? It takes literally second to test that out. Just stand still turn Your camera 180 degree and use streak. You will notice Your character automatically turns around and streaks in the direction You were aiming at not the one he was facing. It's been like that for ages. You can even turn Your character around mid streak animation if You turn Your camera around in a proper moment so Your character will end up facing opposite direction than the one he was streaking in.

That's blatantly not true. Streak goes in the direction you character is physically facing, not the camera.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

That's blatantly not true. Streak goes in the direction you character is physically facing, not the camera.

Where do You get that informations from? It literally takes few seconds to test that out. Your chartacter teleports in the direction You are aiming at not the direction it faces. Just log on sorc stand still in one place turn Your camera around and use streak. It's all it takes.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Streak definitely goes in whatever direction your camera is facing, can’t speak on whether it still does when rooted, but I just hopped on my Sorc and tested it, @axi is right.
    Edited by The_Titan_Tim on 31 January 2023 01:31
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Streak definitely goes in whatever direction your camera is facing, can’t speak on whether it still does when rooted, but I just hopped on my Sorc and tested it, @axi is right.

I may be thinking of being rooted. Which is most often the time you need streak to move in camera direction and it just will not.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jaws343, @axi, @acastanza_ESO, @AdamLAD

I have cracked the code on Streak after extensive testing with my friend on her Dragonknight using Talons, you’re all right, I’ll explain…

Streak doesn’t allow you to teleport where your camera is facing… when you’re moving.

The trick to streaking in any direction is to turn your camera and activate the ability after you’ve stopped moving.

This becomes confusing when rooted because technically you’re not moving, but if you have even the slightest stick drift, your character will streak in whatever direction you were rooted and facing.

Each of you were right in your own way.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just finished testing out the new vamp skill. With quick cast on, it is 100% a streak clone skill that can be used by any class.

It is slightly clunkier to use and does cost more resources due to having to double cast it to teleport (which should be expected of an ability that is globally available to every class), but if you get good at double tapping the cast it is essentially a globally available streak that blocks projectiles and applies an AoE DoT + HoT or major expedition + major evasion.

The elusive mist is bugged currently and disables jump until you light attack out of it (or just doesn't properly show when it's active), but blood mist 100% works properly. It also starts out 10% cheaper than streak on the first cast, so that double cast is less noticeable until you get into 4-5 casts in a row.

As for sorc itself:

Shields, slightly better.
    Shields will be in a slightly better spot, the slightly better scaling and raised cap is nice.

I can see why they chose to take shields in that (max health) direction (to help tank builds use them better without making them crazy strong for dds).

The downside to this is that we should expect to see a bunch of 35-40k health sorcs with vigor, streak, mistform and shields running around, although the upside to this is that they should deal less damage with much lower max mag so sustain will be a huge thing for the class going the shield route.

Healing, still a huge issue for the class and the most important fix still required.
    Healing over time hasn't really changed, the class still heavily relies on vigor and maras to make up majority of its HoT needs.
    Blood mist adds an additional option for this as well as another DoT to help proc crit surge (assuming bloodmist can crit) so it has another option at least (still nothing in the class kit).
    Burst heals remain the main issue for the class, nothing was changed here. It will be very slightly easier to get dark deal off without dying during its cast time with the buff to shields, but only very minimally and those who want to build for full damage (without being carried by procs) still don't have a reliable burst heal to use (think back to where wardens were before the buff to arctic, where plenty of HoT options (although for sorc it's mostly outside of the class kit instead of within the class kit), but no strong burst heal unless you build a full tank.

Damage, not much changed.
    The execute will be stronger against groups now that 1 morph deals its full damage as an AoE, also it finally gets changed to count as an actual execute???? why wasn't this done like 10 years ago when the skill was created!
    The issues with the damage (slow travel time of the projectiles) still remains. A slight speed increase on frags travel time or make the frags proc undodgeable would be enough here, it doesn't need a buff to the numbers.

Buffs/Debuffs, still very much lacking and crit chance/damage is the second most important fix for the class outside of heals.
    This area needs a huge improvement and is second only to a reliable 1 bar slot burst heal.
    The class still lacks many in class buffs/debuffs, especially around crit damage and crit chance which it desperately needs to work cohesively with crit surge.
    The class still lacks breach, but this can be worked around with ele sus being in a good spot right now.
    With dk now also getting major berserk on their chains, sorc has even less unique options it can bring to the table.

Overall it's a slight improvement for the class and it finally gives those who enjoy shields the ability to attempt to play with the hybridization changes (stacking into health and damage instead of forced into max mag) that the other classes have had for a long time now.
    The class will still build either a full tank that you just ignore, or as a squishy dd that you can focus down easier than other classes, and the issues with healing when under pressure (reliable burst heal) and lack of synergistic buffs/debuffs (see crit chance and crit damage) has not been addressed yet.
    The changes still won't make the class top tier (outside of good players, but they make every class top tier), but it will be in a slightly better spot and we might finally see enough of them around to be able to complete those "Kill 20 enemy sorcerer" quests in pvp.

The biggest "nerf" to sorc is the loss of their last remaining identity (streak) which has been given away to every class with the new mist form.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No it doesn't, I have been using streak on my sorc for literal years now and it always teleports the direction the character is facing, not the direction the camera is facing.

You are getting confused, when the sorc streaks in the direction of the camera, the character physically turns itself around to face that direction then uses streak to move in that direction, it doesn't just streak automatically in the direction the camera is facing. If the character cannot physically turn around (affected by root) the class streaks in the direction the character is facing and not the direction the camera is facing.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I have cracked the code on Streak after extensive testing with my friend on her Dragonknight using Talons, you’re all right, I’ll explain…

Streak doesn’t allow you to teleport where your camera is facing… when you’re moving.

The trick to streaking in any direction is to turn your camera and activate the ability after you’ve stopped moving.

This becomes confusing when rooted because technically you’re not moving, but if you have even the slightest stick drift, your character will streak in whatever direction you were rooted and facing.

You're mostly right here, when you are moving it casts in the direction your character is facing at the time of cast and turns your character around while the streak is teleporting you, when you are rooted, you cannot physically turn the character around so it streaks in the direction your character is facing and not the direction.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »

You're mostly right here, when you are moving it casts in the direction your character is facing at the time of cast and turns your character around while the streak is teleporting you, when you are rooted, you cannot physically turn the character around so it streaks in the direction your character is facing and not the direction.

I’m 100% right, on console if you don’t move your left stick(movement stick) and turn your camera, even rooted, you will turn and streak.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »

No it doesn't, I have been using streak on my sorc for literal years now and it always teleports the direction the character is facing, not the direction the camera is facing.

You are getting confused, when the sorc streaks in the direction of the camera, the character physically turns itself around to face that direction then uses streak to move in that direction, it doesn't just streak automatically in the direction the camera is facing. If the character cannot physically turn around (affected by root) the class streaks in the direction the character is facing and not the direction the camera is facing.

Well You literally proved me right in that post lol. I've wrote "You will notice Your character automatically turns around and streaks in the direction You were aiming at not the one he was facing" and than You are saying I am getting confused and write basically the same thing. I think it's not me who is confused.

It teleports you in the direction that camera is facing and if Your character is facing different direction it will automatically adjust itself to the position of camera hence You are teleporting in the directioin that camera is facing. if You would teleport in the position that Your character is facing than Your character would not turn around but instead just streak forward no matter what position camera is pointing at.

Edited by axi on 31 January 2023 02:44
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Let's be realistic, shields, if they are to be relevant in today's game, need to be able to crit like heals. That simple.

The sorc's spammable needs to be brought into line with other classes' skills. They are woefully bad compared to how overloaded ZOS has made other spammable skills.

Bound armaments needs to be buffed to at least 80% of the damage of Merciless Resolve (4 lights vs 5). The other morph needs huge changes, maybe passive 20% block mitigation while slotted or something.

The pets are fine for casual open-world, but useless in pvp, maybe make one morph of each a non-pet version. Scamp becomes a dot, the matriarch a normal burst heal.

The entire class is out of date compared to how much they have stacked into NB and DK. Those two are the baseline now.

• The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Let's be realistic, shields, if they are to be relevant in today's game, need to be able to crit like heals. That simple.

The sorc's spammable needs to be brought into line with other classes' skills. They are woefully bad compared to how overloaded ZOS has made other spammable skills.

Bound armaments needs to be buffed to at least 80% of the damage of Merciless Resolve (4 lights vs 5). The other morph needs huge changes, maybe passive 20% block mitigation while slotted or something.

The pets are fine for casual open-world, but useless in pvp, maybe make one morph of each a non-pet version. Scamp becomes a dot, the matriarch a normal burst heal.

The entire class is out of date compared to how much they have stacked into NB and DK. Those two are the baseline now.

Or better yet; we could go back to when shields were not crittable. That would balance it out.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or better yet; we could go back to when shields were not crittable. That would balance it out.

Anything less than a 25k hardened hard is not good enough for me to play this class again

They need to completely remove battle spirit on hardened ward
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on 31 January 2023 05:08
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before people will loose their minds about mist form changes. For mobility streak is still better and they're not the same at all. Mist is basically just a cloud that absorbs up to 3 projectiles during 1 second duration but You move with Your character speed while turned into cloud not isntantly teleport like with streak. You can sprint or dodge in it but You can't jump which makes it horrible for kiting compared to curent state of the ability. Mist basically got nerfed.

This is just sad.

You are just covering up the fact the that sorc is still average while every other class got a mobility buff
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Test mana shield through max health. I think there will be a meta through maximum health and spell damage. + shield from the branch of the shield.
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mana shield + two shields from the shield branch. Rate it. One gives a stun, the other heals.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melzo wrote: »
    Test mana shield through max health. I think there will be a meta through maximum health and spell damage. + shield from the branch of the shield.

yeah, fantastic META, after you build your char to max health and dmg, you are OOM after 4 shields, not to note that your other skills are also very mana intensive.
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Class change token or instant level 50 tokens so I can make a new char without having to grind
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before people will loose their minds about mist form changes. For mobility streak is still better and they're not the same at all. Mist is basically just a cloud that absorbs up to 3 projectiles during 1 second duration but You move with Your character speed while turned into cloud not isntantly teleport like with streak. You can sprint or dodge in it but You can't jump which makes it horrible for kiting compared to curent state of the ability. Mist basically got nerfed.

This is just sad.

You are just covering up the fact the that sorc is still average while every other class got a mobility buff

Fun fact is that sorc also got a mobility buff with new mist form. You can weave both abilities to slow down ramping cost of each one.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just sad.

Fun fact is that sorc also got a mobility buff with new mist form. You can weave both abilities to slow down ramping cost of each one.

Nothing like having to slot 2-3 mobility skills on an already tight bar setup.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is just sad.

Fundemental reason why sorc is substandard. It takes too many bar slots to equip offensive rotation and/or defensive rotation. On top of that you still need the common heal/mobility skills: burst heal, hot, streak, raceagainsttime.

My NB has so many stacked, overloaded skills and class passives, I have effectively a 3rd bar. Having room for shades, cloak, mist won't be an issue. No negative tradeoffs.

• LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Make no-pet sorc viable again tbh.

Double-barring skills shouldn't be a thing.

Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is just sad.

Fundemental reason why sorc is substandard. It takes too many bar slots to equip offensive rotation and/or defensive rotation. On top of that you still need the common heal/mobility skills: burst heal, hot, streak, raceagainsttime.

My NB has so many stacked, overloaded skills and class passives, I have effectively a 3rd bar. Having room for shades, cloak, mist won't be an issue. No negative tradeoffs.

Maybe if they gave us back the third bar we're supposed to have, that our class was fundamentally designed for it'd be okay. But since they obviously don't have any intention of doing that, all of our skills need to be seriously reassessed and brought up to par with how comparatively overloaded every other class's core skills are. @Gilliamtherogue @ZOS_Gilliam this can't be allowed to go on, it is a fundamentally unfair design for sorcerers. Literally everything else has been buffed WAY beyond what sorc can do, and we're still sitting over here with combat ability design from 2014.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just sad.

It's not like it would be the first time when few skill slots are filled by similar type of ability. Also each of the abilities provide different secondary effects that can be usefull for particular scenarios. If both together would work way better than each alone and would be an improvement in general class effectiveness than why not. At the end of the day that's all what building a setup is about.

As for mist in general who knows maybe it will end up as an improvement for a sorc because up to this point streak was the only thing that was keeping sorc from bringing class toolkit on par with others but now when everyone would have acces to a skill similar to sorc there is no excuse for devs to keep sorc away from having toolkit as overloaded as some of the other classes.
    Edited by axi on 31 January 2023 17:57
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is just sad.

It's not like it would be the first time few skill slots filled reserved by similar type of ability. Also each of the abilities provides different secondary effects that can be usefull for particular scenarios. If both together would work way better than each alone and would be an improvement in general class effectiveness than why not.

You're completely ignoring that with no-in class access to major offensive buffs or debuffs, and being completely reliant on pets that have to be double barred to get acccess to any burst heal, Sorcerer does not have any room, for any additional skills. It simply does not. Any other class has freedom to swap things around because of how comparatively overloaded all their core class skills are, Sorcerers simply do not have this luxury.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just sad.

Yeah because we now have to drop our wards for an extra mobility skill

Because sorc is not NB which has major / minor buffs popping out of damage or utility skills which dont require extra bar space
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just sad.

I actually thought about it.

But then what's the point ? To run away faster :D ?

If my hardened ward is less than 20k next patch I am not picking up this class
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now we will see sorcerers in close combat with 45 ka hp and with a mara set using shields for 11-12 thousand. Sorcerers will not know death... Unkillable sorcerer.. I saw such a sorcerer dueling on the test server. With maces from the dragonstar arena and mara. Unkillable.
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Melzo wrote: »
    Now we will see sorcerers in close combat with 45 ka hp and with a mara set using shields for 11-12 thousand. Sorcerers will not know death... Unkillable sorcerer.. I saw such a sorcerer dueling on the test server. With maces from the dragonstar arena and mara. Unkillable.

That is a problem with Mara's and has nothing at all to do with Sorcerer's completely MIA defensive toolkit. The anemic buff to shields here is nothing at all. That Sorcerer was also probably not doing any damage at all. SorcTanks have always been a thing, the problem with them is that you have to give up literally everything else unlike every other class.