Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Ideal new class assuming one is coming.

• MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BARD! I mean they did have that string instrument emote recently.
  • RisenEclipse
    RisenEclipse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battlemage/Spellsword
    I thought battlemage was already in the game (datamined) but they just never added it in for us to use. I swear I also heard something about it being in beta or alpha too and they just removed it before launch. So if anything that's the class we're going to get, as it's easiest for them to add it in.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Witch/Hedgemage
    I thought battlemage was already in the game (datamined) but they just never added it in for us to use. I swear I also heard something about it being in beta or alpha too and they just removed it before launch. So if anything that's the class we're going to get, as it's easiest for them to add it in.

Not quite, a lot of the stuff that was going to be Battlemage was ripped out and spread across other stuff that is in the game now. Whatever is left, is a shell of what was originally planned leaving very little to work with.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battlemage/Spellsword

"During the beta, the Battlemage was planned to be the sixth player class. Along with the Warden, it was scrapped at launch in favor of the four standard classes, though the Warden class later returned to the game in Update 14. Some remnants of the class still exist within the files, including icons and a few errant strings. Destruction, Two-Handed, Alteration, and Mysticism were skill lines associated with the class, back when the familiar schools of magic were still used in the game."

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Battlemage

The only problem is that the class was part of an older design for combat that the game has long since shifted away from. Any concepts from that period, if they still exist, would need significant tweaking to fit within the current scope of the game. And, I'm saying this as someone who thinks that Battlemage/Spellsword would be a class that would fit most naturally into the game without feeling too niche, gimmicky, or out of place despite the creative suggestions (like the oft-suggested Dwemer engineer or Bard suggestions).
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Witch/Hedgemage
    Another alternative is a class unique to ESO. I mean new classes get made all the time. There is both precedence and scope for it.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Witch/Hedgemage
    ealdwin wrote: »

"During the beta, the Battlemage was planned to be the sixth player class. Along with the Warden, it was scrapped at launch in favor of the four standard classes, though the Warden class later returned to the game in Update 14. Some remnants of the class still exist within the files, including icons and a few errant strings. Destruction, Two-Handed, Alteration, and Mysticism were skill lines associated with the class, back when the familiar schools of magic were still used in the game."

The only problem is that the class was part of an older design for combat that the game has long since shifted away from. Any concepts from that period, if they still exist, would need significant tweaking to fit within the current scope of the game. And, I'm saying this as someone who thinks that Battlemage/Spellsword would be a class that would fit most naturally into the game without feeling too niche, gimmicky, or out of place despite the creative suggestions (like the oft-suggested Dwemer engineer or Bard suggestions).

I’m not so sure engineer feels that out of place. Sure if the race was a Dwemer then absolutely. But the Mages guild and other groups often devote their life to studying and recreating Dwemer engines and the like. Also, look at Clockwork City. I think an artificer of some kind would totally fit within the lore.

As for Bard, I agree too gimmicky. What skills would the bard have? How would it work without it feeling silly?

Battlemage, I say no 100%. There are a number of reason for this:

1. Much of what was planned is already in game.
    2. It removes or limits the possibility of present classes from building into a Battlemage. All classes should be free to do so. Stamsorc is a strong contender if it got a bit more help.
    3. The current hybridisation of sets suggests they are moving towards Battlemage styles of play anyway. To make a Battlemage class, would suddenly make it seem like all changes were done to introduce it. Leaving other classes in the dirt.
    4. Battlemage can be done by simply adding magical morphs to the stamina weapon lines.
    5. There is literally nothing from previous iterations of the class that isn’t either already in game or wouldn’t be different enough to warrant its inclusion.
    6. If a unique variant was developed it would be so different that ‘Battlemage’ would not fit and everyone would subsequently complain like they did with Necromancer “This isn’t what a Battlemage is supposed to be…” etc etc.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battlemage/Spellsword

I’m not so sure engineer feels that out of place. Sure if the race was a Dwemer then absolutely. But the Mages guild and other groups often devote their life to studying and recreating Dwemer engines and the like. Also, look at Clockwork City. I think an artificer of some kind would totally fit within the lore.

As for Bard, I agree too gimmicky. What skills would the bard have? How would it work without it feeling silly?

2. It removes or limits the possibility of present classes from building into a Battlemage. All classes should be free to do so. Stamsorc is a strong contender if it got a bit more help.
    3. The current hybridisation of sets suggests they are moving towards Battlemage styles of play anyway. To make a Battlemage class, would suddenly make it seem like all changes were done to introduce it. Leaving other classes in the dirt.
    4. Battlemage can be done by simply adding magical morphs to the stamina weapon lines.
    5. There is literally nothing from previous iterations of the class that isn’t either already in game or wouldn’t be different enough to warrant its inclusion.
    6. If a unique variant was developed it would be so different that ‘Battlemage’ would not fit and everyone would subsequently complain like they did with Necromancer “This isn’t what a Battlemage is supposed to be…” etc etc.

Out of place was more in reference to Bard than Engineer. My issue with Engineer is more to do with all proposed ideas being yet another summoner-style class just with brass instead of animals or daedra. It would be different, sure, but primarily in theme. I just don’t find it exciting.

If I’m being perfectly honest, a new class just isn’t my first pick for what I’d like to see come next. I’d rather see skill lines that allow more diversity with the classes we have. Things like a generic non-weapon Destruction line to add more Fire Damage skills so one could play a fire-mage without having to go with the melee play-style of the Dragonknight. A lot of the popular suggestions as classes would honestly work better as individual skill lines of that sort. A whole Dwemer engineering class might seem a bit much to me, but having a singular spider to aid a bow-thief in battle could be enticing.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Witch/Hedgemage

Out of place was more in reference to Bard than Engineer. My issue with Engineer is more to do with all proposed ideas being yet another summoner-style class just with brass instead of animals or daedra. It would be different, sure, but primarily in theme. I just don’t find it exciting.

If I’m being perfectly honest, a new class just isn’t my first pick for what I’d like to see come next. I’d rather see skill lines that allow more diversity with the classes we have. Things like a generic non-weapon Destruction line to add more Fire Damage skills so one could play a fire-mage without having to go with the melee play-style of the Dragonknight. A lot of the popular suggestions as classes would honestly work better as individual skill lines of that sort. A whole Dwemer engineering class might seem a bit much to me, but having a singular spider to aid a bow-thief in battle could be enticing.

I actually agree that more skill lines is better, but I started the poll as classes seems like a path the developers have been going down. It is easier to sell a full class than a skill line, compare Psijic to Necro for example.
    I personally would like some sort of ranged weapon that benefits both Mag and Stam.

Throwing Weapons is a possibility for both. Throwing daggers, darts, stars and gas bombs for Stam. Fire bombs, Frost mines and Shock Traps for Mag. But would it feel clunky? And what would you equip? A bandolier, a harness? It’s actually quite tough to think of a new weapon line without it either feeling a little off or too similar to what exists. I will say this Magic and Disease do need representation in the weapon lines, either new or existing.
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want the servers to run smooth and not like crap,a new class won't solve that, so none
  • fakingfocused
    fakingfocused
    ✭✭✭
    Barbarian
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    Like often is the case with posts like this, the suggestions are usually way off base with what actually entails a full fledged class in eso.

How exactly would a barbarian fufill the healer role? With or without the resto staff is irrelevant, thematically it simply makes no sense.

Spellsword/battle mage, technically could fill all roles ofc but this goes into the other issue of fan fervor when desiring a new class for eso, its simply too broad like many of the base class choices one would find at the start of a new TES game. What IS a spell sword or battle mage exactly? Those principals essentially already exist with each and every class that already exists in the game.

The only way a new class can be implemented in eso is for starters it needs to be thematically distinct wherein said theme is not already represented in game.

Unfortunately with how eso is designed, you cant associate a class with a weapon type because that is simply a new weapon with a skill line attached to it. So anyone asking for a class that is hand to hand or polearm focused is misdirecting their wish.

You have to first look at the various schools of magic and discern what has yet to be represented in eso. Not exclusively mind you, as there are plenty of destruction and illusion class spells found across multiple classes in eso already aside from the destruction staff itself. Think about other ways that a class could lean into alternation or mystiscm perhaps, (psijic order barely counts here) and then go from there.

Asking for such specfic and rigid classes to be added that wouldnt not make any sense whatsoever (magicaka based barbarian with a destro/resto staff.. yeah ok...) or asking for something that is so surface level that it already exists or would hardly fufill a thematic niche not already in game (spell sword/battlemage...) is all misguided and shortsighted.

Pretty sure necromancer and sorc are the counter to your argument. Barbarian would just be the converse to these.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Battlemage/Spellsword
    Just to add my 2 drakes....
    Lore wise, during this period, 2E582, the "Battlespire" still exists, so Battlemages are a "thing" during this period, lore wise.
    Also, if you go to Bonesnap Ruins in Stormhaven, you can meet "Battlemage Gaston".

Personally, I would love to see spellcrafting, as it was presented in 2014, instead of a new class.

Just my 2 drakes..
    Huzzah!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • gresiac
    gresiac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Witchhunter
    Well, I actually was thinking a Witch could have the following skill lines:

Hexing: DPS and debuffs.
    Alteration and Conjuration: Tanking, CC and a pet or two.
    Mind Merging: Healing, Support and Buffs.

sounds like a necro we alrdy have
  • gresiac
    gresiac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Witchhunter
    I'd love to see a bard class! (And that's not just because I played a minstrel for 12 years in a different MMO).

Music is such a powerful thing, and I think ESO could get real creative about it.

Also:
    844066583f8783050a7502d07c4258bf.jpg

Long live DAOC <3
  • Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Per design there is no holy trinity in ESO, which means that every class should be capable of doing tank, healer and DD.

My problems with the much asked bard class are the following:
    Weapon: i never played DAOC, or any game with a bard in it really, but my understanding of that archetype is that it evolves arround buffing and debuffing and hase some kind of Instrument, like a lute. So with the Bard class, there would have to be a new Weapon including skill-line added to the game. Alternative, let the bard summon his weapon, but that doesnt feel fitting to the archetype.

Which leads to the other problem: the absence of the holy trinity. Every class should be capable of tanking, healing and dps. I can imagine the bard healing and doing dmg. But i cant imagine the class as tank. Whats it going to be like assuming we dont get the instument weapon skill line? singing badly to taunt a mob? SnB, heavy armor and the ability to influence mobs via voice is something that just does not feel right for me.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't really find any of the options offered very inspiring. I feel like battlemage is already sort of possible but am most open to that. I think Dwemer or Clockwork artificer is far more exciting personally.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my bet on bard
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None.

How about something we can do with our existing characters?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skills would involve elder itch style attacks.

Easily countered with the mystical anti-histamine spell.

• MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Witch/Hedgemage
    Deter1UK wrote: »

Hahaha. Don’t you just love auto spelling.
  • LostHorizon1933
    LostHorizon1933
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battlemage/Spellsword
    + Vault Dweller
  • BloodyLady
    BloodyLady
    ✭✭
    What it says in the description. What new class would you like to see assuming we will definitely get one.

Witch would be great another one is druid i would like to play that , i know we have the warden but a druid who can turn inot a bear , and call on wild animals for help would be great.
    (just a stupid idea of mine)
  • Sengra
    Sengra
    ✭✭✭
    How about a chemist style character? Specialising in bombs and disease. Plague Doctor style:

A battle alchemist like Zhininda from Orcrest is the one I'd really love, the animations are already there.

Second, bards. It could be part of a monk class with fist-fighting for damage, music for healing, pantomime for taunting. I'm thinking of the quest with the twilight cantor in Black Heights. The lore is there. The katas are even there as emotes.

I'm always interested in weird and uncommon classes. Battlemages seem to be everywhere already (sorcs with swords), and more 'normal' weapons would be boring.
    Edited by Sengra on 19 January 2022 12:01
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZeroDPS wrote: »
    neither.... we need Spellcraft!

It keeps coming up doesn't it.

all you can get is some sort of sliding scale between power and range so Fire Touch (Big ouch) vs Fire Range (Small ouch)

add in another effect? (even less ouch)

Or Effect vs Time or whatever vs whatever.

In any event nothing will beat what spells we already have, the only things that would make it worthwhile would be the huge amount of questing to find spell components (scrolls, ingredients, obscure lore books, clues from the Daedra) and so on. Put all that together with the Mages College in Skyrim and you have a massive expansion which would be a lot of fun on the face of it - but the end result (spells) would be next to worthless (probably).
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deter1UK wrote: »

Hahaha. Don’t you just love auto spelling.

:smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Witch/Hedgemage
    BloodyLady wrote: »
    What it says in the description. What new class would you like to see assuming we will definitely get one.

Witch would be great another one is druid i would like to play that , i know we have the warden but a druid who can turn inot a bear , and call on wild animals for help would be great.
    (just a stupid idea of mine)

Druid is another good one. Some kind of skin changing, totems and occult curses.
  • Michaelkeir
    Michaelkeir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battlemage/Spellsword
    Real Battlemages are needed in this game in my humble opinion. Not stamsorcs (a.k.a.) fake Battlemages.

Just combine 1-handed/rune skill line (damage) with an alteration (protection) skill line, and some new type of healing skill line and you have a brand new class.

0lz4z7s.jpg
    AgcXzAZ.jpg
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Witch/Hedgemage
    Real Battlemages are needed in this game in my humble opinion. Not stamsorcs (a.k.a.) fake Battlemages.

Just combine 1-handed/rune skill line (damage) with an alteration (protection) skill line, and some new type of healing skill line and you have a brand new class.

0lz4z7s.jpg
    AgcXzAZ.jpg

Come up with the skills. I’m eager to see some ideas.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Witch/Hedgemage
    How about this for a class?

Pirate/Corsair
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like often is the case with posts like this, the suggestions are usually way off base with what actually entails a full fledged class in eso.

How exactly would a barbarian fufill the healer role? With or without the resto staff is irrelevant, thematically it simply makes no sense.

Spellsword/battle mage, technically could fill all roles ofc but this goes into the other issue of fan fervor when desiring a new class for eso, its simply too broad like many of the base class choices one would find at the start of a new TES game. What IS a spell sword or battle mage exactly? Those principals essentially already exist with each and every class that already exists in the game.

The only way a new class can be implemented in eso is for starters it needs to be thematically distinct wherein said theme is not already represented in game.

Unfortunately with how eso is designed, you cant associate a class with a weapon type because that is simply a new weapon with a skill line attached to it. So anyone asking for a class that is hand to hand or polearm focused is misdirecting their wish.

You have to first look at the various schools of magic and discern what has yet to be represented in eso. Not exclusively mind you, as there are plenty of destruction and illusion class spells found across multiple classes in eso already aside from the destruction staff itself. Think about other ways that a class could lean into alternation or mystiscm perhaps, (psijic order barely counts here) and then go from there.

Asking for such specfic and rigid classes to be added that wouldnt not make any sense whatsoever (magicaka based barbarian with a destro/resto staff.. yeah ok...) or asking for something that is so surface level that it already exists or would hardly fufill a thematic niche not already in game (spell sword/battlemage...) is all misguided and shortsighted.

Pretty sure necromancer and sorc are the counter to your argument. Barbarian would just be the converse to these.

No they arent.necromancer and sorcerer have always been able to utilize said schools of magic that they have access to for a number of different archetypical "roles". Its not beyond reason that a necromancer or sorc use conjuration for melee based defense via corporeal keep deadric. Among a number of other things. These are all augmentations to ones combat prowess that's it.

Barbarian is quite literally a melee based warrior master of arms. There is not a single degree of mental gymnastics that would makes a barbarian make sense using a restoration staff healing allies in the backround or slinging fireballs with a destruction staff.

Barbarian does not thematically fufill the necessary criteria to exist as it's own class within ESOs framework.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Witchhunter

I'm pretty sure that my templar has a whole skill line based around a weapon skill - spears. I don't think a class based around a weapon skill is far fetched.

Vampires have little cut scenes when they bite people now. They could do something similar with hand to hand skills for a monk class, it would give the developers a chance to show off their abilities to make the new class do some cool moves like throwing other players to the ground.