• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Ideal new class assuming one is coming.

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Tonal Magic is already a magic type in this game, so I don't think a Bard would be out of place.

Here:
    https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Bard_(Oblivion)

So as you can see, Bard’s are too similar to Nightblade’s and thus can’t fit. You can practically build a bard with an NB right now.

A bard doesn't need to be the same as it was in Oblivion. And a warrior that fought using sound and illusions would not be out of place in this game. There's already a lot of magical things related to sound and already a Bard class in previous games. The building blocks are all there.

The Bard class has been fairly consistent across all Elder Scrolls games. If we had one, then it’s all well and good. But musical, spells? It just is not consistent with the lore. Ultimately anything added, has to be in line with the lore. You can’t take liberties.

It is consistent with the lore though. There is stuff like the Siren's song in Vvardenfell, the moon singers and spinners, all the Dwarven stuff operates off of tonal architecture which is related but not quite the same as tonal magic. Sai Sahan in order to activate his Shehai had to literally sing into existence while centering the thing he most cared about.

Just because we have never played a character that could use singing as a weapon doesn't mean such a things could not exist in the lore. There's also enchanted/cursed instruments too in the lore, though that has significantly less likelihood and examples than magic songs.

E.G.
    This small chime protected Ujirra, adept of the Ziz Kurah, from the merciless attack of a dro-m'Athra that killed all others at her adeptorium. By her rhythmic tapping of the chime, Ujirra composed a hymn to Jone and Jode that kept her safe through that horrible night. The hymn was unfortunately lost, but the chime survived.

The college restricts the use of this chime out of respect to our Khajiit compatriots.

This chime from the Bard’s college in conjunction with a lost hymn can cast some kind of protective spell.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 24 January 2022 18:39
    Options
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Witch/Hedgemage
    Tonal Magic is already a magic type in this game, so I don't think a Bard would be out of place.

Here:

So as you can see, Bard’s are too similar to Nightblade’s and thus can’t fit. You can practically build a bard with an NB right now.

A bard doesn't need to be the same as it was in Oblivion. And a warrior that fought using sound and illusions would not be out of place in this game. There's already a lot of magical things related to sound and already a Bard class in previous games. The building blocks are all there.

The Bard class has been fairly consistent across all Elder Scrolls games. If we had one, then it’s all well and good. But musical, spells? It just is not consistent with the lore. Ultimately anything added, has to be in line with the lore. You can’t take liberties.

It is consistent with the lore though. There is stuff like the Siren's song in Vvardenfell, the moon singers and spinners, all the Dwarven stuff operates off of tonal architecture which is related but not quite the same as tonal magic. Sai Sahan in order to activate his Shehai had to literally sing into existence while centering the thing he most cared about.

Just because we have never played a character that could use singing as a weapon doesn't mean such a things could not exist in the lore. There's also enchanted/cursed instruments too in the lore, though that has significantly less likelihood and examples than magic songs.

Again, that’s all fine. But if the above examples are applied to a class… it can’t be called a Bard. Also, the amount of people wanting music to kill stuff is questionable at best.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here:

Again, that’s all fine. But if the above examples are applied to a class… it can’t be called a Bard. Also, the amount of people wanting music to kill stuff is questionable at best.

It could be called a Bard though. Why can't it be called one? The classes in Elder Scrolls have never been set in stone.
    Options
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say none tbh. I think unless they can come up with an authentically new playstyle that doesn't break balance it's not worth it.

But if they did, I'd like to see a toon that doesn't use magic. So I guess barbarian or witch hunter. Maybe legionary. Something whose skills aren't magical. Maybe a different resource or maybe even a pure Stam class that doesn't have Magicka.
    Options
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Battlemage/Spellsword
    worrallj wrote: »
    I'd say none tbh. I think unless they can come up with an authentically new playstyle that doesn't break balance it's not worth it.

But if they did, I'd like to see a toon that doesn't use magic. So I guess barbarian or witch hunter. Maybe legionary. Something whose skills aren't magical. Maybe a different resource or maybe even a pure Stam class that doesn't have Magicka.

Only if mag player get one with no stam morph😆

All class in this game have to be able to mag dps, stam dps, heal and tank
    Options
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    worrallj wrote: »

Only if mag player get one with no stam morph😆

All class in this game have to be able to mag dps, stam dps, heal and tank

Mag would also need at least two more weapon skill lines if there were a stam-centric class.
    Options