Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

PTS Feedback Thread for Player Housing

• Kazya
    Kazya
    ✭✭✭
    Worked on one of the homes yesterday, logged out to sleep. Now that I logged back into pts and got to the house I see the Several items has gone missing. Not just one or two, but 4 or 5 which is just missing.

1 chair, 2 plants, 1 argonian shelf (full), and have a nagging feeling something else is missing too but I could be wrong about that. Still... 4 or 5 items just gone...

Mother Earth and Father Night gives me comfort, protection and shelter every step I take.
    Brother Sun gives me the warmth I need, while Sister Moon lit my path so I don't get lost.
    Auntie Life follows me on my journey until Uncle Death sing me the last lullaby.
    /C.O 20121122
    Options
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Jarros wrote: »
    Personal opinion: traveling to a home -- either previewed or owned -- is NOT wayshrining and should not incur added costs to the wayshrine. If it is considered wayshrining -- which ZoS will need a darn good explanation to convince me of that -- then it should at least increment at the same pace as regular wayshrining.
    It certainly could be considered wayshrining, as it gets you to somewhere else for free. But I would much rather have the option to wayshrine out of the house for free as well, by proving the option to purchase one of those "brazier" Wayshrines as a piece of furniture.
    Hmmm.... in delves and dungeons, a "brazier Wayshrine" near the entrance is where a PC will "resurrect" after being killed -- if the player chooses to "resurrect at the nearest Wayshrine". (No fee is charged.) So it seems that a "brazier Wayshrine" would -- wherever it is placed on a Homestead -- also simply be a resurrection point. It would be an option after the Target Skeleton kills a PC, when the player doesn't want to burn a Soul Gem or have one to use. Or after a PC is killed in a duel.

Which leads to a question: how are those situations handled when the Homestead per se does not have a "resurrection Wayshrine"??

That said: I agree that it would be best if a PC can "recall" to any Wayshrine in Tamriel from within a Homestead without paying a fee. However, I have always exited my PC to adjacent non-instanced terrain while previewing Homesteads in situ. So I do not know whether it is currently possible to "recall" a PC to any Wayshrine in Tamriel from within a Homestead -- regardless of whether a fee is charged.

Selecting the first Homestead to preview via the Collections UI, thus transferring my character to it, has been free of charge. Selecting another Homestead to preview via the Collections UI, thus transferring the PC to that one, also has not, in my experience, cost anything.

Evidently, we can use the Collections UI to choose a Homestead that we own to which we want a PC to travel -- free of charge from any Tamriel location that is not in Cryodil. It should be possible to use the Collections UI to transfer our PC to another Homestead that we also own without paying a fee. In both cases, the respective Homestead(s) must either be owned by any one of our characters, or be available for preview.

As far as I know, if we want to transfer a PC to a Wayshrine, the PC must first exit the Homestead to a space outside the entrance. So a fee to "recall to a Wayshrine" from that location will be charged. However, I do not recall that fees to recall my PC to a Wayshrine after exiting to a space outside of the Homestead were abnormally high.

Most likely, the high fees have been imposed when a player chooses to "recall" their PC from within a Homestead, because they are trying to do something that is not explicitly forbidden, but also has not been deliberately implemented.

Regardless, since an instanced Homestead owned by another player's character will not be accessible by using our own Collections UI, we must use another alternative to travel to it (as described in the Patch Notes).

In summary: Homesteads are implemented, currently with some differences for access, in the same way that The Harborage was implemented in the base game. I don't know what would happen if Sai Sahan killed Abnur Tharn in a duel. :wink: Please read my post #630 in reply to Jarros, if you haven't read it yet.

Edited by Shadowshire on 27 January 2017 02:31
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, The Harborage as a destination only receives visitors. After a PC exits The Harborage, the player has the options (1) to move the PC overland to a Wayshrine, if that is where the player wants the PC to go, or (2) to "recall" the PC to any Wayshrine shown on the Map of Tamriel that is not in Cyrodil, and pay a fee in Gold Pieces for doing that. Albeit, it might be possible to "recall" a PC to a Wayshrine without exiting The Harborage, first, but I don't recall ever doing that.
    Yes, that is possible.
    With regard to traveling to a Homestead, it would be nice if we could simply select the site from the Map as we do with The Harborage. Homesteads have a unique Map symbol. Maybe such ease of movement will be possible in the first release, or added later. (I would suspect, though, that it would not be simple to implement.)
    Yes, you can already do that. You can recall to a house from the map the same way you can recall to a Wayshrine.
    Jarros wrote: »
    Personal opinion: traveling to a home -- either previewed or owned -- is NOT wayshrining and should not incur added costs to the wayshrine. If it is considered wayshrining -- which ZoS will need a darn good explanation to convince me of that -- then it should at least increment at the same pace as regular wayshrining.
    It certainly could be considered wayshrining, as it gets you to somewhere else for free. But I would much rather have the option to wayshrine out of the house for free as well, by proving the option to purchase one of those "brazier" Wayshrines as a piece of furniture.
    Hmmm.... in delves and dungeons, a "brazier Wayshrine" near the entrance is where a PC will "resurrect" after being killed -- if the player chooses to "resurrect at the nearest Wayshrine". (No fee is charged.) So it seems that a "brazier Wayshrine" would -- wherever it is placed on a Homestead -- also simply be a resurrection point. It would be an option after the Target Skeleton kills a PC, when the player doesn't want to burn a Soul Gem or have one to use. Or after a PC is killed in a duel.
    That was an example of what they would look like (which existing object model and texture to use), not an example of functionality. Functionally, they would act like a normal wayshrine.
    That said: I agree that it would be best if a PC can "recall" to any Wayshrine in Tamriel from within a Homestead without paying a fee. However, I have always exited my PC to adjacent non-instanced terrain while previewing Homesteads in situ. So I do not know whether it is currently possible to "recall" a PC to any Wayshrine in Tamriel from within a Homestead -- regardless of whether a fee is charged.
    Yes, it is.
    As far as I know, if we want to transfer a PC to a Wayshrine, the PC must first exit the Homestead to a space outside the entrance. So a fee to "recall to a Wayshrine" from that location will be charged. However, I do not recall that fees to recall my PC to a Wayshrine after exiting to a space outside of the Homestead were abnormally high.
    The fee is the same whether you recall to a Wayshrine from outside the front door, or from inside the house instance; the standard 146 gold (plus the "you recalled recently" cooldown markup if you travelled to your house recently).
    Edited by Enodoc on 27 January 2017 14:56
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • theivorykitty
    theivorykitty
    ✭✭✭
    We really need the ability to allow full house sharing with even a limited number of people. Both parties should be able to place items in the house, rather than one person giving the other person an item and having them put the item down. That's just finicky. Both parties should be able to mark the house as their main residence. Some of us, dare I say a lot of us, are going to want housing specifically so that they can share it with another person/people.

By the way, the new patch made it so that if I buy crown furniture I can't give it to my husband to put it down in the house so that I can move it around (it's bound). Just one more reason that we should be able to both put things down in a shared house.
    Edited by theivorykitty on 27 January 2017 18:14
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We really need the ability to allow full house sharing with even a limited number of people. Both parties should be able to place items in the house, rather than one person giving the other person an item and having them put the item down. That's just finicky. Both parties should be able to mark the house as their main residence. Some of us, dare I say a lot of us, are going to want housing specifically so that they can share it with another person/people.

By the way, the new patch made it so that if I buy crown furniture I can't give it to my husband to put it down in the house so that I can move it around (it's bound). Just one more reason that we should be able to both put things down in a shared house.

On the one hand I can completely see how the current system is frustrating for anyone who wants to share houses - couples, guilds, people hiring a decorator, friends clubbing together to buy somewhere big and so on and that's going to annoy a lot of people.

On the other hand I can kind of understand why ZOS don't want to do that because it could be a nightmare for customer support. What happens if you and your partner/friend/guild part ways and you want to get your stuff back? Or get back the money you put into the house? Or even decide who gets the house?

What happens if one person "forgets" they didn't buy the 400 crown tapestry when they decide it'd look better in their other (private) house?

There probably are ways around this. For example setting it up so furniture can only be removed by the person who placed it. But it'd take extra programming and a lot of extra planning to stop it being too easily abused, so I'm not surprised it's not an option right away.

Hopefully they will figure out a way to add it later though.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • theivorykitty
    theivorykitty
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

On the one hand I can completely see how the current system is frustrating for anyone who wants to share houses - couples, guilds, people hiring a decorator, friends clubbing together to buy somewhere big and so on and that's going to annoy a lot of people.

On the other hand I can kind of understand why ZOS don't want to do that because it could be a nightmare for customer support. What happens if you and your partner/friend/guild part ways and you want to get your stuff back? Or get back the money you put into the house? Or even decide who gets the house?

What happens if one person "forgets" they didn't buy the 400 crown tapestry when they decide it'd look better in their other (private) house?

There probably are ways around this. For example setting it up so furniture can only be removed by the person who placed it. But it'd take extra programming and a lot of extra planning to stop it being too easily abused, so I'm not surprised it's not an option right away.

I absolutely see your point, as I've thought about it quite a bit.

However, to me it would be easy to say 'be careful who you share a house with' and that's that. The person who purchases the house is still the 'owner' of the house in the event of a split. If an owner of a house gives full access to another person, then that's their (perhaps poor) decision. The owner could just remove the other person's access if it comes to that. The same goes to the other person - it's their own responsibility to be thoughtful about who they share a house and their items with. Zeni doesn't need to be involved in the split-up of a group, and doesn't need to protect people from their own potentially bad decisions.

However, I had thought of something like you mentioned: for added security, I guess the developers could add a lock such that only a person who put the piece of furniture into the house can remove it from the house inventory (i.e. each piece of furniture has it's own 'owner'). If the owner removed the other player's house access via settings, I supposed then the devs could allow the other player to retrieve all pieces of furniture that they 'own' from that house.

Honestly, I feel that people need to be responsible for their own decisions, but I can see why some would like the latter option to have some security. Either way, I don't believe it's Zeni's responsibility to play judge/lawyer in split ups. That should not prevent them from adding a big part of what makes housing feel like home. It is 'homestead', right? Not a 3D diorama.
    Options
  • theivorykitty
    theivorykitty
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

I absolutely see your point, as I've thought about it quite a bit.

However, to me it would be easy to say 'be careful who you share a house with' and that's that. The person who purchases the house is still the 'owner' of the house in the event of a split. If an owner of a house gives full access to another person, then that's their (perhaps poor) decision. The owner could just remove the other person's access if it comes to that. The same goes to the other person - it's their own responsibility to be thoughtful about who they share a house and their items with. Zeni doesn't need to be involved in the split-up of a group, and doesn't need to protect people from their own potentially bad decisions.

However, I had thought of something like you mentioned: for added security, I guess the developers could add a lock such that only a person who put the piece of furniture into the house can remove it from the house inventory (i.e. each piece of furniture has it's own 'owner'). If the owner removed the other player's house access via settings, I supposed then the devs could allow the other player to retrieve all pieces of furniture that they 'own' from that house.

Honestly, I feel that people need to be responsible for their own decisions, but I can see why some would like the latter option to have some security. Either way, I don't believe it's Zeni's responsibility to play judge/lawyer in split ups. That should not prevent them from adding a big part of what makes housing feel like home. It is 'homestead', right? Not a 3D diorama.

To add to this thought, it's really exactly like the guild bank. If the guild opens the bank up to other people, they can't really complain if people they gave access to take items from it. Hopefully they put items of equal value back in, but hey, maybe they don't. We don't ask Zeni to handle these situations either - we decide by giving rights to other players to access that or not.
    Options
  • Miaura
    Miaura
    ✭✭✭
    • Did you complete the initial quest to acquire your apartment? Did you run into any issues?
      Yes, no problems. But knew where the NPC is from reading patch notes...
    • Were you able to successfully preview a home and buy it with gold?
      yes, and bought the Rawl`Kha home with gold.
      How did you preview the home? Did you do it via the Crown Store, Collections UI, or just walk up to the door?
      Previewed Rawl`Kha through walking through door, but also Previewed others from Crown Store & Collections UI and bought with crowns , worked.
    • Were you able to figure out how to switch between previewing a furnished/unfurnished home?
    Yes, easy.
    [*] Were you able to purchase and place furnishings from Achievement Furnishers?
    Yes. And I think that these are very cool, and the variety to achive furnishings, nice, rly one of the things for me that allready make ESO housing stand out as potentially best MMO housing I`ve seen :)! But these (like all vendor furnishings) really should have a Preview from the vendor screen ! (But very nice you added preview to crafting )And most them at least should be a lot cheaper, considering they are allready achievement dependant.

[*]Were you able to purchase furnishings from Zanil Theran the Luxury Furnisher?
    Yes. And again, he should have a preview to what you buy, this is expensive stuff.

*]Did you get any Undaunted Busts from dungeon bosses? If so, which one was your favorite?
    No, cause I`m such a wimpy un-undaunted :)

[*]Were you able to find the reprints of Shalidor’s Library books, place them, and read them?
    No, but looking forward to that, was a few books short on achievements on copy chars, my live chars allready went to complete one cause having readable books in your house sounds very nice!

[*] Did you understand how to use the various light sources?
    yes, mostly can light or put out candles etc ; except; it claims on those fireplace/wood items that you can buy from the normal furniture vendors that their items like the "rough firewood, fireplace" are "interactable, light" - no way I can interact with those. Also, the said "rough firewood, fireplace" is huge, would not fit into most fireplaces I think.

[*] Were you able to sit on chairs, both in a home and throughout the world? Was it clear which chairs you could sit on?[/list]
    Yes, and no. chair sitting has gotten better with the last patch, been able to sit in the world randomly, and in my home this time just placed some "rough stools": was able to sit on them many times in a row unlike most chairs in previous patch; however after leaving house, they no longer say "rough stool, use" but just "use" , and can not really be used. Also, two stools disappeared.

[*] Were you able to allow or restrict other players to enter your home?
    yes.

[*] Did you duel inside your home? How was the experience?
    Did not try.

[*] Did you like the housing-related achievements and titles?
    Would be nice for my Khajiit to get the "Clan mother" or my breton vampire to be "Countess", but seriously, not sure if I can reach for such heights with ingame gold, maybe the clan moother, not countess; def not going to get it with crowns :D

[*] What did you think of the prices for each home?
    Small and medium seem about right to me, but some of those, like Kragenhome or Hammerdeath End seem way too expensive with no yard or huge location advantage. Large and errr, larger/huge houses; the lower end of the prices looks ok, but maybe the higher end could be brought down nearer to those.

[*] Are you an ESO Plus member?
    Yes.
    [
    *] Do you have any other general feedback?
    I allready love this quite a bit as is (if bugs are fixed) and what it could be would love even more!
    More utility - stuff to do at your house like gardening/fishing holes would be nice, storage addition would be a must, mannequins, weapon plaques maybe. And dont keep all utility locked behind huge grind, like the master writs=craft stations and target dummy , or behind crown store =banker/merchant.But even now it looks great, dispite early hickups with things like items disappearing, chairs not working ;).

I think generally keeping it all fun, not too grindy and mostly accessible even without crown purchases will bring in a lot of new players and also happy crowns purchases from older players.
    Speaking of the crownstore , since it really is an important issue, I for one like buying stuff like costumes from the store now and then, but the idea of a real money fuelled "housing sims" just does not sound like good, real or fun gameplay to me - whereas being able to realistically "pimp up my house" with ingame finds, crafting, achievements, ingame gold and guild store finds however does and would make the game tons more fun for me, therefore leading to a happier customer who might continue buying the occasional costume, pet or even sometimes a fun housing item.
    With the housing , people really should not feel like they are pushed to buy from the crownstore - cause seriously, how many people are there who like to play a little house decorating game with their credit card? Compared to people who might find the house decorating game fascinating as an ingame challenge, if not made too grindy, and then in the process become happier customers, willing to spend crowns on some things without feeling "pushed" to do it?

Edited by Miaura on 28 January 2017 06:43
    Options
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭

With regard to traveling to a Homestead, it would be nice if we could simply select the site from the Map as we do with The Harborage. Homesteads have a unique Map symbol. Maybe such ease of movement will be possible in the first release, or added later. ....
    Yes, you can already do that. You can recall to a house from the map the same way you can recall to a Wayshrine.
    Then the PC should be able to also travel to a Homestead by using a Wayshrine (as a PC can do with The Harborage).

Neither using a Wayshrine nor attempting to "recall" to a Homestead worked when I tried them on the weekend before ZOS opened the PTS to EU. Before the first PTS patch, I had bought Strident Springs Demesne furnished for 1 Crown while previewing all of the "Notable Homes". After the first patch, I moved one of my characters on a "tour" of the Homesteads that were initially categorized as Notable Homes. If memory serves, my character had just exited another one in Reaper's March, and I wanted to travel to Strident Springs to see whether any changes had been made. But the only way that I could find to get there -- without using the Collections UI -- was to travel to the Wayshrine closest to Strident Springs and proceed from there on horseback.

Unfortunately, I don't have an advanced-level character to play on the PTS now.
    .... But I would much rather have the option to wayshrine out of the house for free as well, by proving the option to purchase one of those "brazier" Wayshrines as a piece of furniture.
    Hmmm.... in delves and dungeons, a "brazier Wayshrine" near the entrance is where a PC will "resurrect" after being killed -- if the player chooses to "resurrect at the nearest Wayshrine". (No fee is charged.) So it seems that a "brazier Wayshrine" would -- wherever it is placed on a Homestead -- also simply be a resurrection point. ....
    That was an example of what they would look like (which existing object model and texture to use), not an example of functionality. Functionally, they would act like a normal wayshrine.
    Yes, I recognized that. But you can't have a "normal Wayshrine" -- regardless of what it looks like -- you would need one like the Wayshrines in Eyevea and The Earth Forge. A PC can use them only to travel to another Wayshrine outside of those instances, and no PC can travel to either one from anywhere else.

As far as I know, without a Soul Gem to use there is no way to resurrect a character that has been killed on the premises of a Homestead, except by resurrecting at the nearest Wayshrine which is not on the premises of the Homestead. The Patch Notes don't say anything about that, just that dueling will be allowed. Given the expense of Soul Gems, I think it would be a good idea to make a Wayshrine available for furnishing a Homestead, at least for that purpose.

Yet, if ZOS will do that, then there's no particular reason that the same Wayshrine cannot also be used to travel without paying a fee to any other Wayshrine that (1) is not on a Homestead, and (2) is not in Cyrodil. No one could travel to a Homestead Wayshrine regardless.
    The fee is the same whether you recall to a Wayshrine from outside the front door, or from inside the house instance; the standard 146 gold (plus the "you recalled recently" cooldown markup if you travelled to your house recently).
    Thank-you for sharing the information.

Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With regard to traveling to a Homestead, it would be nice if we could simply select the site from the Map as we do with The Harborage. Homesteads have a unique Map symbol. Maybe such ease of movement will be possible in the first release, or added later. ....
    Then the PC should be able to also travel to a Homestead by using a Wayshrine (as a PC can do with The Harborage).
    You can do that too. Click on a house icon while in the wayshrine map and you get the option to "Travel to <House>".

.... But I would much rather have the option to wayshrine out of the house for free as well, by proving the option to purchase one of those "brazier" Wayshrines as a piece of furniture.
    Hmmm.... in delves and dungeons, a "brazier Wayshrine" near the entrance is where a PC will "resurrect" after being killed -- if the player chooses to "resurrect at the nearest Wayshrine". (No fee is charged.) So it seems that a "brazier Wayshrine" would -- wherever it is placed on a Homestead -- also simply be a resurrection point. ....
    Yes, I recognized that. But you can't have a "normal Wayshrine" -- regardless of what it looks like -- you would need one like the Wayshrines in Eyevea and The Earth Forge. A PC can use them only to travel to another Wayshrine outside of those instances, and no PC can travel to either one from anywhere else.
    Sure. But all a Wayshrine does is open up the Wayshrine map. Since you'd be in the house already, and you can already travel to the house from the map, it's the house icon that would say "You are at this Wayshrine".
    As far as I know, without a Soul Gem to use there is no way to resurrect a character that has been killed on the premises of a Homestead, except by resurrecting at the nearest Wayshrine which is not on the premises of the Homestead. The Patch Notes don't say anything about that, just that dueling will be allowed. Given the expense of Soul Gems, I think it would be a good idea to make a Wayshrine available for furnishing a Homestead, at least for that purpose.
    Yeah, it's a bit odd that you can't just respawn at the house entrance if you die while decorating. Regardless of a house Wayshrine, death in a house should just respawn you at the entrance.
    Edited by Enodoc on 28 January 2017 17:59
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    HOUSE CROWN PRICES ANNOUNCED ON "ESO LIVE"

Please refer to: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Zjp0byRyjqQAopZhcWqConJsQiVZQQqH4fxo22qxJc8/edit#gid=1635006768

OPINION

What can I say? It stuns me to see that ZOS evidently believes that it will be worthwhile to pay as much for a furnished Large House or Manor in Crowns -- bought with Dollars, of course -- as we paid for the base game software in Dollars, the Imperial Edition in particular. Note, too, that adding Homesteads is unlike a DLC module, and I should hope that Shadows of the Hist was not a model for future DLCs. The announced Homestead costs (according to the referenced source):

_____ Announced _______________
    Small ...... 3,000 - 4,000 Crowns (approx.: $ 30+)
    Medium .. 5,000 - 6,500 Crowns (approx.: $ 40+)
    Large ...... 7,500 - 8,500 Crowns (approx.: $ 75+)
    Manor ......... 10,000+ .. Crowns (approx.: $100+)

Frankly, from what I've experienced on the PTS and read in this discussion, the Homestead feature is disappointing. It could be so much better. So, considering how little that a Homestead is likely to contribute to my satisfaction in playing ESO (such as crafting furnishings, for example), the Crown prices are ... simply unreasonable.

Whether I should be surprised at all, I must suggest a more reasonable expectation for ZOS to consider:

_____ Suggested _______________
    Small ...... 2,000 - 3,000 Crowns
    Medium .. 3,500 - 5,000 Crowns
    Large ...... 5,500 - 6,500 Crowns
    Manor ..... 7,000 - 9,000 Crowns

Since Earthtear Cavern (Craglorn) and Grand Torpal Hideaway (Grahtwood) are not, to my knowledge, instantiated with any specific features chosen in advance of purchase by each buyer, I don't consider them "custom homes" regardless of the Crown price for which ZOS chooses to offer them. One thing is for sure, in my humble opinion, ZOS must offer far more in features and functionality than their development team managers are apparently willing or able to provide for 10,000 Crowns or more.

Options
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please refer to: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Zjp0byRyjqQAopZhcWqConJsQiVZQQqH4fxo22qxJc8/edit#gid=1635006768

OPINION

What can I say? It stuns me to see that ZOS evidently believes that it will be worthwhile to pay as much for a furnished Large House or Manor in Crowns -- bought with Dollars, of course -- as we paid for the base game software in Dollars, the Imperial Edition in particular. Note, too, that adding Homesteads is unlike a DLC module, and I should hope that Shadows of the Hist was not a model for future DLCs. The announced Homestead costs (according to the referenced source):

Frankly, from what I've experienced on the PTS and read in this discussion, the Homestead feature is disappointing. It could be so much better. So, considering how little that a Homestead is likely to contribute to my satisfaction in playing ESO (such as crafting furnishings, for example), the Crown prices are ... simply unreasonable.

Whether I should be surprised at all, I must suggest a more reasonable expectation for ZOS to consider:

Since Earthtear Cavern (Craglorn) and Grand Torpal Hideaway (Grahtwood) are not, to my knowledge, instantiated with any specific features chosen in advance of purchase by each buyer, I don't consider them "custom homes" regardless of the Crown price for which ZOS chooses to offer them. One thing is for sure, in my humble opinion, ZOS must offer far more in features and functionality than their development team managers are apparently willing or able to provide for 10,000 Crowns or more.

I am not defending the planned crown prices but I would note that at least in the US the prices in dollars are not as high as you state. Today without a sale I could buy 11,000 crowns for $80. I think when crowns are on sale the 5,500 pack is 40% off. At that point the prices are even lower. It will be interesting to see if there is a crown sale with release.

I suspect a crown sale would net them some good numbers.
    Options
  • Kikki_Wintersong

Well, the "Rough Candle Pillar" (white quality item) the cheapest item in Tamriel, a simple candle, costs 10 crowns. It is reasonable to think that we want at least 10 candles in our home, only to see where we're walking? These are 100 crowns. We can craft our furniture of course, so we don't have to spend 400 crowns for a candelabra. Maybe, one day, we'll have all the tons of mats required to craft our purple candelabra... In my opinion, the price of a furnished house are not outrageous, the price of the items are. And yes, I won't pay 75$ or euros for a large house, it is unreasonable.

Options
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

OPINION

Your suggested prices are hardly any better. Who in there right mind would pay $90 for a single piece of content? That is almost twice the initial value of the game! It was bad enough that they have mounts and motifs that cost more than any dlc, but this is just crazy. I'm sure as heck not going to pay $30 for a tiny apartment.

Actual reasonable prices (Which, btw, would make ZOS MORE money since people would actually buy houses from the crown store):

Small- 500 Crowns/$5
    Medium- 1500 Crowns/$15
    Large- 2000 Crowns/$20
    Manor- 2500 Crowns/$25

Seeing as with the current prices, nobody is going to be crazy enough to buy a house from the crown store, this would make them significantly more money because people would actually buy them.

As of now houses are completely useless. They are kind of fun to have, but they are sure as heck not 30-$100 of fun.

The real question is, would ZOS rather make $100 from the one guy with more money than brain cells, or 5-$25 each from thousands of people?

ZOS would rather have what they see as the immediate higher value, rather than thinking to realize that they could have significantly more money another way.
    Edited by Tyrobag on 29 January 2017 13:31
    Options
  • Akrasjel
    Akrasjel
    ✭✭✭✭

OPINION

I am not defending the planned crown prices but I would note that at least in the US the prices in dollars are not as high as you state. Today without a sale I could buy 11,000 crowns for $80. I think when crowns are on sale the 5,500 pack is 40% off. At that point the prices are even lower. It will be interesting to see if there is a crown sale with release.

I don't think they will do a Crown sale on release... maybe later in the year.

The Crown store prices for apartaments, small and medium houses look a bit high tho
    Edited by Akrasjel on 29 January 2017 13:54
    [PC][EU][Daggerfall Covenant]
    Akrasjel Lanate - Imperial Nightblade | 50 | CP900+
    Born: 2E 551

Member of: | Traders of the Covenant | Hammerfell Trading | Imperial Trading Company |
    Houses: Strident Springs Demesne,

Options
  • Exiled_Messenger
    Exiled_Messenger
    ✭✭✭
    We need a separate inventory for furnishings and the ability to retrieve all furnishings from a room or home at once.
    ESO Fashion Visual Database and Character Gallery
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akrasjel wrote: »

OPINION

Well I and many others will not even consider spending crowns on a house unless crowns are half off. The gold sellers, OTOH are probably loving this. And I can't blame people for buying gold anymore. Even if you end up spending the same amount of actual real money, it's money ZOS doesn't get and they don't deserve to in this case. They have WAYYYYY overstepped the line of decency and ethics with this.

Edited by MornaBaine on 29 January 2017 15:26
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Options
  • GaldorP
    GaldorP
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wanted to say thank you for the few more trees that got added to Home Goods Furnishers in one of the recent updates. I especially noticed the ones in Grahtwood (especially the Giant Cypress!). Those are fantastic <3
    Options
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Shadowshire
    "What can I say? It stuns me to see that ZOS evidently believes that it will be worthwhile to pay as much for a furnished Large House or Manor in Crowns -- bought with Dollars, of course -- as we paid for the base game software in Dollars, the Imperial Edition in particular. Note, too, that adding Homesteads is unlike a DLC module, and I should hope that Shadows of the Hist was not a model for future DLCs. The announced Homestead costs (according to the referenced source):"

those crown prices are exactly where i thought they would be.

High end houses priced for expectation of "group" use and purchase. Manors for maybe guild level purchases. The crown prices for those make the crown purchase vs the in game gold IMO a very reasonable option for groups - saving a lot of time compared to say solo-gold acquisition.

The lower end costs are more geared for solo play but those houses in game gold costs are so low its a dubious outlay. But if you want to avoid the time, pay the crowns.

For me it feels like my dividing line will be large homes.
    medium and smaller will be done gold.
    manors and up will be done crowns IF i choose to go that route.
    Large homes on the fence about - could go either way.

Sitting on about 1.3mil right now but normal walkaround gold was 200k-300k before i started saving in January specifically for housing.

For me, their prices make neither path a "no-brainer" and encourages both paths to getting whatever you want.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Akrasjel wrote: »

OPINION

Well I and many others will not even consider spending crowns on a house unless crowns are half off. The gold sellers, OTOH are probably loving this. And I can't blame people for buying gold anymore. Even if you end up spending the same amount of actual real money, it's money ZOS doesn't get and they don't deserve to in this case. They have WAYYYYY overstepped the line of decency and ethics with this.

The houses are grossly overpriced, but judging from the response of a lot of players, they will be buying them. 30% of posters on this board think the pricing is fair.

People complained about crown crates, and everyone bought them anyway. See here.

If people are willing to pay for these in crowns, then the price is right. It's not my money or your money. A lot of things are overpriced in life, yet some people don't care and will buy them anyway. ZOS has done a damn fine job marketing the crown store in this game.

I just wish all the revenue being generated will translate into more content more frequently.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on 30 January 2017 16:02
    Options
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭

Whether the approximate Dollar costs can be lower than my estimates depends upon whether the player either (1) buys only the least number of Crowns sufficient to pay for the Homestead, or (2) buys the largest number of Crowns per Dollar spent, which can leave some Crowns unspent after paying for the Homestead. I chose the first goal for the estimates, mostly because an ESO Plus subscription gives the player 1500 Crowns per month (and/or we can buy 1500 Crowns for $14.99).

ZOS might indeed have a "Crown Sale" after, or with, the "live" Homestead patch. The only past sale that I can recall lowered the Dollar cost only for the 3000-Crown and the 5500-Crown packs, respectively, and I bought the pack of 3000. There are many possibilities, but I still think that their prices are too d*mn high!! :neutral:

Options
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    @Shadowshire
    "What can I say? It stuns me to see that ZOS evidently believes that it will be worthwhile to pay as much for a furnished Large House or Manor in Crowns -- bought with Dollars, of course -- as we paid for the base game software in Dollars, the Imperial Edition in particular. Note, too, that adding Homesteads is unlike a DLC module, and I should hope that Shadows of the Hist was not a model for future DLCs. The announced Homestead costs (according to the referenced source):"

those crown prices are exactly where i thought they would be.

High end houses priced for expectation of "group" use and purchase. Manors for maybe guild level purchases. The crown prices for those make the crown purchase vs the in game gold IMO a very reasonable option for groups - saving a lot of time compared to say solo-gold acquisition.

The lower end costs are more geared for solo play but those houses in game gold costs are so low its a dubious outlay. But if you want to avoid the time, pay the crowns.
    Edited for clarity:
    About "group use" and "guild halls": at present only one player can purchase each specific instance of a Homestead, regardless of whether the player spends Crowns or spends Gold Pieces. If the player chooses to spend GP, then one qualified character of that player can buy a specific instance of a Homestead. The player who pays for the Homestead governs who has permissions to access it, to furnish it, etc.

Unless ZOS adopts accounts for "organizations", every Homestead instance will be owned only by the specific player whose character purchased it. So, if a group of players donate Gold Pieces to buy a "guild hall", it will probably be the Guildmaster who has a character that can qualify as a buyer, regardless of whether the Gold Pieces come from the Guild's bank account. I rather doubt that any group will pay Crowns for a pre-furnished Homestead. Albeit, that is not impossible, but only one player's qualified character will be the buyer of record regardless.

Edited by Shadowshire on 31 January 2017 00:28

Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The houses are grossly overpriced, but judging from the response of a lot of players, they will be buying them. 30% of posters on this board think the pricing is fair.

I suspect most of that 30% are planning on buying houses with gold, and are just maliciously happy that people have to pay high prices in real dollars same as they pay high prices in gold.

ZOS have clearly lost the plot.
    Options
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    Your suggested prices are hardly any better. Who in there right mind would pay $90 for a single piece of content? That is almost twice the initial value of the game! It was bad enough that they have mounts and motifs that cost more than any dlc, but this is just crazy. I'm sure as heck not going to pay $30 for a tiny apartment.
    Yes, while writing my comments I seriously considered lowering each suggested amount by 1,000 Crowns:

_____ Suggested #2 ___________
    Small ...... 1,000 - 2,000 Crowns
    Medium .. 2,500 - 4,000 Crowns
    Large ...... 4,500 - 5,500 Crowns
    Manor ..... 5,000 - 8,000 Crowns

Or, pricing could be in multiples of an ESO Plus Membership, which provides a subscriber 1500 Crowns for $14.99 per month:

_____ Suggested #3 ___________
    Small ........ 750 - 1,500 Crowns
    Medium .. 2,000 - 3,000 Crowns
    Large ...... 3,500 - 4,500 Crowns
    Manor ..... 5,000 - 7,500 Crowns

Recognize that, currently, purchasing a Homestead with Crowns includes a substantial number of furnishings, whatever you might think of the individual Crown price for each furnished item listed by the Housing Editor.

According to https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/316590/crown-price-ranges-are-realistic-or-crazy-for-unfurnished-houses/p1 the announced price ranges are for unfurnished Homesteads.

That is a switch from the PTS previews, which presented each Homestead as furnished if it were bought with Crowns. If the announced price ranges are for unfurnished Homesteads, then they are truly absurd, insofar as the only thing that would make them even potentially acceptable would be fully furnishing the Homestead in the bargain.

Yes, in my humble opinion, on the whole, the Crown prices for furnishing items that I have seen on the PTS were too high to make furnishing a Homestead financially feasible for all but a relatively few players. And the potential material costs of crafting furnishings, never mind the time and effort of the player, most likely will not be low enough for players to readily buy furnishings for Gold Pieces, even "at cost", instead.

For comparison to the Dollar cost of the game: currently, ZOS offers the ESO "Gold Edition" ($59.99) which includes the first four DLCs, and the "Tamriel Unlimited Digital Edition" ($29.99) which only has the "base game".

Personally, over two years ago I bought the ESO "Explorer's Bonus Edition" on CD from Gamestop for $59.99, and subsequently upgraded to the "Imperial Edition" download for another $19.99 (?). So my own total "base game" cost was about $80.00, and I have since spent Crowns to buy the 4-DLC megapack (Imperial City, Wrothgar, Hews Bane, Dark Brotherhood) and to buy the Shadows of the Hist DLC. (I've also spent quite a few Crowns for other items, but not for any "Crown (sucker!) Crates".)

Regardless, I doubt that ZOS will consider lowering the Crown prices even to the amounts that I first suggested.

Edited by Shadowshire on 30 January 2017 06:56

Options
  • oneonesixb14_ESO
    Housing feedback regarding previewing and travel:

It is free to travel from wayshrine to player house, but not the other way around. I would really like to be able to travel from my home to any wayshrine without paying the gold travel cost. There are some nice homes that are tucked far away from a wayshrine. That makes the house less appealing because that run from the house to the wayshrine is going to get old fast.

Also, when previewing many homes from the crow store back to back, the cost to travel to a wayshrine increases. Maybe that limit is there to prevent people from spamming travel, but it doesn't seem like it should apply to home previewing.
    Options
  • Kikki_Wintersong
    So, please let clarify this:
    Tyrobag wrote: »

In short UNFURNISHED prices:

-apartments start at 1,000 (confirmed) crowns
    -Small home range: 3100 -4000 crowns
    -Medium range 5000-6500 crowns
    -large range 7500-8500 crowns

All the way up to manors for 10k crowns (confirmed) and up....Thoughts

These are the prices for the UNFURNISHED houses ?!?!?!?!?!?! It was too much for a FURNISHED one!!!!
    Betheny wrote: »

I can assure you, I'm not in this 30% of posters!
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the people who said they want housing to be a gold sink are correct.

Maybe they deliberately made the crown prices high because they want most people to buy with gold (according to polls most people on this forum have enough gold to buy at least a small house on day 1) and they only offered a crown price so they can present it to the higher-ups as a way of making money (or to justify the length of time between DLCs and the amount of time being spent on the next one). And because hey, if someone is willing to give you $100 for a virtual house are you really going to refuse?

I completely agree that all of the crown prices are too expensive, but it doesn't bother me because I was expecting that and planning to buy with gold anyway. Being able to buy a house with crowns would have been a nice surprise (and might have lead to me spending more in the long-run as I'm sure I'll be drawn into paying crowns for furnishings eventually) but I was mainly thinking of this update as free in-game content - something I don't have to spend real money on at all.

(Yes it's expensive when bought with gold as well, but I don't care about that because I get gold 'free' while having fun playing the game and I can't use it for anything except in-game items, so spending it on housing isn't a big deal.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • Lyserus
    Lyserus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Remove the invisible walls in earthtear cavern plz. I can see it on the map that the exterior of cavern is actually “walkable” so i was beginning to wonder if the invisible walls block between exterior and interior is a bug.

No matter if it's a bug or not, can't jump through thin air makes no sense. remove them plz
    Options
  • Firestar_
    Firestar_
    ✭✭✭
    Which was your favorite home, and why?

If I HAD to choose one, it would be Forsaken Stronghold but honestly, NONE of the available homes fit what I'm looking for. I want a house with ROOMS. Every single house is built like a loft apartment. Every. Single. One. Meaning everyone gets to see my bed or I have to wall off sections on my own which,
    1. Costs a very precious item limit which I'm using on candles and other light sources.
    2. There's no good "build" pieces. A stone wall, a wood wall, a doorway etc.

Forsaken Stronghold has the best potential for sectioning off into usable rooms.

I look at the furniture first before looking at houses: this is what I'm going to be building with.
    Because there are hundreds of plants in the game, this means to me at the very LEAST, my house needs a garden area.
    There are hundreds of food and shelving items. I need a kitchen and larder. There is only one dunmeri house that has a room with an attached room for a larder.
    We can place mounts: I need an outdoor space for my mounts.
    There's lots of library items: I need a room for a library.

Here's the most popular 3 on a poll thread I made:
    -Hundings
    -Strident Springs
    -Forsaken Stronghold

Notice people aren't wanting the most expensive manors? That means they're not wanted. Maybe that should be fixed and the manors should be made more desirable. Go visit the Fighter's guild in Sentinel. There are rooms there. Wow! Amazing!
    Now go visit your furnished EP manor. You walk past a bed to get to the kitchen. Yeah, try that IRL. See how far it gets you. A whole two houses have any privacy.

My second choice is Earthtear because its the only home with any light in it. I just have to buy 12 dozen Orc Stages to make rooms and ceilings and that just eats up the same item count as filling a room full of candles so I can see.... so forget about any kind of actual decoration?

What did you think of the prices for each home?
    They're ridiculous and as excited as I was for this update, I won't be buying a house.
    Making a house 3x the amount of one DLC and more than the base game is ridiculous.

Are you an ESO Plus member?
    Yes. But there's no furniture bag, so it hardly seems relevant now, doesn't it? Inventory management is hard enough and stuffing a house with 300 items is going to be quite difficult, especially as us decorators change tastes or find a new piece every so often and need to re-arrange the entire room. Room... ha! I made a funny, did you see? Because there are no rooms, I have to do the whole damned house.

Do you have any other general feedback?
    Please give us different homes.
    Firestar - Imperial Templar - Ebonheart Pact
    Reasons-For-War - Argonian Dragonknight - Ebonheart Pact
    Pearl Winterstone - Orc Sorcerer - Ebonheart Pact
    Jerro - Dunmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fyaal wrote: »
    Also I am disappointed in the availability of things to craft. Master writs drop somewhat rarely (8 writs, 2 characters, no drops). On top of that, many of the master writs I got from making a template require legendary mats. LEGENDARY. Are you aware that tempering alloy are currently 10k a piece? That means a master crafting writ that require legendary mats cost up to 80k gold to complete. Absurd.

There are no basic crafting items, like a table, chair or anything that a max level woodworker should be able to make right off the bat without blueprints.

Most of the furnishing recipes are found out in the world, not from the Master Writ vendor exclusively (which has a very small number of top tier recipes). The vast majority of furnishing recipes (well over a thousand) are found in all sorts of containers throughout the world, and also from things like pickpocketing and murder, certain vendors, humanoid enemies, and some other sources in the game. Also, recipe sourcing is influenced by region so if you are in Eastmarch for example, then you will see more Nord style furniture items recipes, and if you are in Alik'r, you should see more Redguard stuff. You will still find other recipes, but the local culture's recipes will be more common.

Good info
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options