Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I come to the forums this afternoon, to ask for forgiveness. I used an Add On for the first time...

Copperfield
Copperfield
✭✭✭
I've always prided myself on being a real gamer. Someone who didn't...

Actually, before we get to my plea for forgiveness, please allow me to share with you my MMO resume. It will give you all a better understanding of how I achieved such a legend status.

1995-1999--Ultima Online: I was part of the fellowship that portaled into Lord British's castle to kill the great King. This of course earned me and my fellowship a lifetime ban from all future Ultima games, but boy was it worth it.

1998-2001--Everquest: I was the first player to aquire a full set of the enchanted Legendary Armor. I also ran the top guild on my server with over 700 active players.

1999-2004--Asheron's Call: I was the first level 126 on the PK server, Darktide. I was also the first level 126 on PVE server Wintersebb. I was known as the most feared PVPer in all of Dereth.

2003-2003--Anarchy Online: I played for 27 minutes before sending a strongly worded letter into Funcom, demanding that the running animation of the players be changed. I quit 48 hours later when my demands went unheard.

2004-2009--World of Warcraft: I was the Guild Leader of the Gnome hating Cult of Cult Copperfield. We refused to group or associate with gnomes in any fashion. I was the first level 60 across 12 different servers.

2009-2011--I quit gaming for a few years to find myself. I ended up getting married, but divorced my wife in late 2011 before the Star Wars: Old Republic launch. I knew I couldn't find the time to fit both in my life. My gaming urges got the better of me.

2011-2014--Star Wars: The Old Republic: I was the first level 50 and 55 as well as the first Valor Level 100. I have the most achievements in the games brief history with over 27,000. I once played for 37 hours straight and was the server first to complete every new Operation on patch day.

Now that you've seen my credentials, let's get onto business.

I've always prided myself on being a gamer who didn't need the aid of third party add on's. I've been playing MMO's since 1995 and I have NEVER used a third party application to make my gameplay easier. That was until today, and I feel sick to my stomach about it.

Let me first say that I understand that the use of add on's is allowed by Zenimax. This post is not to talk down to players who need third party add on's to be successful. This post is about me and me only. Please don't take any offense to my personal stance on add on's. It's not about that. This is about forgiveness, and forgiveness is something I need before I can continue playing.

Folks, temptation got the better of me. I downloaded the skyshard add on this morning and I want to apologize to all those players who have looked up to me over the years, for playing with honor and respect to the genre.

I found a skyshard in Auridon that I was missing, and as soon as I clicked on the shard, I felt the immediate guilt. I have already uninstalled the add on and made a promise to myself to NEVER use the skill point that I acquired today for finding the said shard.

I hope this appeases you because I need your forgiveness before I log back in. I'm sorry.

**Please remember that this post is about me and my views on add on's. No offense to those who think they aren't cheating**

-Sir Copperfield.
Edited by Copperfield on 27 May 2014 16:38
  • Selique
    Selique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh this guy...
    Falls-With-Grace ~ Shadowscale (Argonian Night Blade)
    Selique Lasra ~ Captain, Smuggler, Swashbuckler (Redguard Templar)
    Chases-Comets ~ Shellback Warrior (Argonian Dragon Knight)
    Slissix-Kir ~ Swamp Shaman (Argonian Sorcerer)
    Hail Sithis..
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copperfield? Here?!?!

Tribunal help us...
  • SeinSchatten
    SeinSchatten
    ✭✭
    What would MW, OB or Skyrim be without mods?
  • PayneTK
    PayneTK
    ✭✭
    The darkside corruption is strong in this one.
  • dbennett707cub18_ESO
    If I remember correctly from my time in ultima. Lord Brittish was killed while he was being played by Richard Garriot and was out taking a stroll in the game, he was attacked by players who used to the wall of fire townkill exploit, so I don't see how anyone who claims to be anti-cheat could claim this, also, i don't believe you.
  • Veruka
    Veruka
    ✭✭✭

2009-2011--I quit gaming for a few years to find myself. I ended up getting married but divorced my wife in late 2011 before the Star Wars: Old Republic launch. I knew I couldn't find the time to fit both in my life. My gaming urges got the better of me.

I died.
  • Regoras
    Regoras
    ✭✭✭
    ...o....k?
  • Selique
    Selique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is SirMarty hiding around here as well?
    Hail Sithis..
  • zeuseason
    zeuseason
    ✭✭✭
    third party application to make my gameplay easier

You have the complete wrong mindset when it comes to addons and I can only feel sorry for you in that respect.

• babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Game is definitely doomed, he has started posting.
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This guy...

I'm sure you're a legend in your own mind.
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uhh, what?

Addon are part of the deal we made for ESO. They would give us the Addon API (extra work for them).
    In turn we would provide the addons to solve all those minor comfort functions (like sovled quest tracker, synching chat tabs) that would cost them too much time to solve.

Everything addons can do is not only explicitly allowed by Zenimax as non-cheating, they invested worktime to make it possible.
    And they could disable anything again in less time then it took you to write that post.
    Edited by zgrssd on 27 May 2014 16:40
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if we never forgive him, he never logs back in right? Am I the only one that caught that?
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • Dragoshan
    Dragoshan
    Soul Shriven
    I don't even...
  • Selique
    Selique
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel bad for anyone who takes this guy seriously lol. Clearly, those that do, don't know who this guy is.

Hail Sithis..
  • Apsalon
    Apsalon
    Soul Shriven
    2009-2011--I quit gaming for a few years to find myself. I ended up getting married, but divorced my wife in late 2011 before the Star Wars: Old Republic launch. I knew I couldn't find the time to fit both in my life. My gaming urges got the better of me.

Seek help. Leaving true love behind for virtual worlds is an indicator for a perverted mindset. Your game won't hold you or dry your tears when you cry in solitude.
  • dbennett707cub18_ESO
    Selique wrote: »
    I feel bad for anyone who takes this guy seriously lol. Clearly, those that do, don't know who this guy is.

Or care.
  • Phantorang
    Phantorang
    ✭✭✭✭
    The drama...
    Fimbulwinter Recruiting true Vikings | Campaigns score | EU PC
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    I'm willing to forgive you if you don't use that skillpoint, ever.

My wife, meanwhile, you really broke her heart. She said she can only forgive if you if you reroll entirely, because your character is forever tainted. :(
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • Regoras
    Regoras
    ✭✭✭
    Selique wrote: »

Or care.

^
  • robacooperb16_ESO
    robacooperb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly from my time in ultima. Lord Brittish was killed while he was being played by Richard Garriot and was out taking a stroll in the game, he was attacked by players who used to the wall of fire townkill exploit, so I don't see how anyone who claims to be anti-cheat could claim this, also, i don't believe you.

Lord British was technically invulnerable (like in the games), but Garriot forgot to reset his invulnerable tag when the servers came back online for the big speech event. Only time it ever happened, and it didn't happen as part of some raid like this clown/troll claims.
    The only negative experience in ESO is those that make it negative.
  • Copperfield
    Copperfield
    ✭✭✭
    zgrssd wrote: »
    Uhh, what?

Addon are part of the deal we made for ESO. They would give us the Addon API (extra work for them).
    In turn we would provide the addons to solve all those minor comfort functions (like sovled quest tracker, synching chat tabs) that would cost them too much time to solve.

Everything addons can do is not only explicitly allowed by Zenimax as non-cheating, they invested worktime to make it possible.

Again, my friend. I'm not frowning on the players who like things done the easy way. I'm just old school. I play the game out of the box, the way it was intended.

The use of third party applications were popularized by the World of Warcraft generation. The new school MMO players like things handed to them and I get that.

I understand the temptation as I gave in today myself. However, I need the forgiveness of my fellow players before I can continue playing. I'm ashamed of myself. This is about me and me only.

Please. I love this game and I don't want to stop playing.

• TetsuMaru
    TetsuMaru
    ✭✭✭
    You are forgiven my son. You must say 10 "Ranser....you madman...its time we finish this"'s and refrain from masturbation for 8 days. Peace be with you brother.
  • Catflinger
    Catflinger
    ✭✭✭
    Three words.

Foundry.

Tactical.

Combat.
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    First, I forgive you...
    Second, my forgiveness is meaningless if you do not forgive yourself.

I used to have long discussions with another player in AC on this subject, we agreed on some things, disagreed on others, he, like you, did not play with any add on's, I did (and still do) our discussions normally were about the hypocrisy of those that thought some add on's were good and some should be banned (the normal stand being "I like what I like the rest should be banned")

Good Luck
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Internet-tough-guy-troll.jpeg
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At least he is sophisticated:

they_see_me_trollin____by_hruthos-d3ctuuz.png
    Edited by NordJitsu on 27 May 2014 16:47
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Aeaeren
    Aeaeren
    ✭✭✭
    Can I have your skill point please? I am a gimped Biting Jabs Templar who really needs the point!

:smiley:
  • dbennett707cub18_ESO

Lord British was technically invulnerable (like in the games), but Garriot forgot to reset his invulnerable tag when the servers came back online for the big speech event. Only time it ever happened, and it didn't happen as part of some raid like this clown/troll claims.

I remember seeing screenshots of it on the streets of Britian with walls of fire all over him.
  • sovreign
    sovreign
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a long, Unnecessary list meaningless accomplishments.
    Addons make gameplay better, not necessarily easier. Just because the developers didn't think of it, doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. A lot of the people who make add ons are developers themselves.
    And if they worked for zos, perhaps THEIR idea would have made it to release.

I see no need to post your mmo history, only that you are looking for some attention, and disguising it as a moot point.

Unless you are a troll.
    Then well played sir, you got me.
    "Soon you will see, that evil will always triumph, because good ... Is dumb"
    -Dark Helmet, Spaceballs