The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Companion Customization is Lacking, Making this Chapter a Pass for Me

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I most desired with the Companion System was 1) to equip companions with any of the hundreds of fun/unique gear sets that already exist in the game, and 2) the ability to FULLY customize my Companion's appearance. Instead, the Companion system forces us to equip our followers with bland gear, and we don't even have the OPTION to let our companion wear a helmet or hood.

These decisions are a major blow to the two areas I appreciate most in ESO -- build variety and customizable appearance. I assume it's too late for this feedback to matter (maybe the helmet/hood thing could still be changed), but seeing how lackluster our companion gearing options are has almost entirely deflated my interest in this system and the chapter. Does anyone else feel this way?

They can wear costumes at least.

My issue with companions is less about their appearance and more about their functionality. So far mine are incredible weaklings who go splat every time I do any content that isn't brain dead easy. So if they wanted companions to be a realistic alternative to grouping, so far I have to say that ain't happening, at least not early on. They are going to have to get significantly better as they level up if they are to have any hope of doing that.

So for those who were expecting a SWTOR-like companion, I'm just going to warn you now to temper your expectations.
    Edited by Jeremy on 2 May 2021 19:48
    Options
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off topic, I wonder if ZOS ever regrets putting up a public PTS where you basically get to go through all the new content for free and so many that do seem to make a purchase decision based on it. This also goes for PTS players releasing content on other mediums such YouTube, Twitch, Social, etc where the public might do the same. I wonder how many would still be buying vs not if they hadn't played or seen PTS content and features before release. Surely seems this environment would be more volatile for their profit margins due to it, not to mention the availability of "spoiling" the entire chapter before it's even live. Completely get why and what PTS is about and it is appreciated, I've used it myself in the past to test upcoming features, etc, but It just seems a bit odd to me that a AAA company does this to the extent ZOS does with their main product.
    Edited by scorpius2k1 on 3 May 2021 14:27
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
    Options
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Letting companions use normal gear sets would make them overpowered and broken in a lot of ways

I don't understand why people think this. How could companions, who stand in red and have cooldowns on their skills, be overpowered and broken wearing the exact same sets that players have access to?

So let's say you put a lot of Pet gear on a companion and you wore your own. You'd have a Morkuldin' Sword floating around fighting for you and so would your companion! You'd have a Monster Helm combating Dremora pet summon and so would your companion. Starting to see the picture here?

And this... makes them overpowered? That sounds more like fun, and still far less effective than another competent player doing the same exact thing.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off topic, I wonder if ZOS ever regrets putting up a public PTS where you basically get to go through all the new content for free and so many that do seem to make a purchase decision based on it. This also goes for PTS players releasing content on other mediums such YouTube, Twitch, Social, etc where the public might do the same. I wonder how many would still be buying vs not if they hadn't played or seen PTS content and features before release. Surely seems this environment would be more volatile for their profit margins due to it, not to mention the availability of "spoiling" the entire chapter before it's even live. Completely get why and what PTS is about and it is appreciated, I've used it myself in the past to test upcoming features, etc, but It just seems a bit odd to me that a AAA company does this to the extent ZOS does with their main product.

Given that the alternative is not putting up a PTS and then having to make all their balance and bug testing changes based on what a relatively small group of playtesters can do in a limited amount of time, it probably looks like a fair exchange.

I mean, they basically get the free labor of theorycrafters, PVPers, and endgame PVE trial groups to help them fine tune the balance of new sets, content, and classes. They don't take every recommendation - they do have their own vision - but that feedback is considered and sometimes it's implemented three months down the line.

It's not a perfect system for ZOS. Obviously, they have some bugs go Live and bad reviews on the PTS might result in some lower sales on the Chapter.

But ultimately, I think you overestimate the impact of bad PTS reviews. The vast majority of the playerbase never reads the forums. Every major update we have players who show up with no clue of what was in the patch notes - they basically read the official ESO posts on the website, if even that.

I fully expect a wave of posts and comments saying "Wow, Companions suck! Their gear is hard to find, their rapport is too slow, and they can't wear hats. If I had known, I wouldn't have pre-ordered," after Blackwood launches. This despite the PTS warnings.

And if the group size stays at 12 for PVE, judging by past major updates, the first time a lot of people learn that's the case is going to be from their guild, zone chat, or when they try to add a thirteenth person.
    Options
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    What I most desired with the Companion System was 1) to equip companions with any of the hundreds of fun/unique gear sets that already exist in the game, and 2) the ability to FULLY customize my Companion's appearance. Instead, the Companion system forces us to equip our followers with bland gear, and we don't even have the OPTION to let our companion wear a helmet or hood.

These decisions are a major blow to the two areas I appreciate most in ESO -- build variety and customizable appearance. I assume it's too late for this feedback to matter (maybe the helmet/hood thing could still be changed), but seeing how lackluster our companion gearing options are has almost entirely deflated my interest in this system and the chapter. Does anyone else feel this way?

So if they wanted companions to be a realistic alternative to grouping, so far I have to say that ain't happening, at least not early on. They are going to have to get significantly better as they level up if they are to have any hope of doing that.

ZOS bought into the narrative espoused by players who were vocal with their fears about companions replacing other players. On their streams, ZOS made it a point to say that companions are not meant to replace players, and even directly referenced the fears that some players had.

I think there are two reasons companions are so weak and bland:
    1) Players being scared of being replaced
    2) ZOS being scared of performance issues

It's too bad -- this feature could have been a ton of fun if it wasn't so build-restrictive with dull gear.
    Options
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So if they wanted companions to be a realistic alternative to grouping, so far I have to say that ain't happening, at least not early on. They are going to have to get significantly better as they level up if they are to have any hope of doing that.

ZOS bought into the narrative espoused by players who were vocal with their fears about companions replacing other players. On their streams, ZOS made it a point to say that companions are not meant to replace players, and even directly referenced the fears that some players had.

It's too bad -- this feature could have been a ton of fun if it wasn't so build-restrictive with dull gear.

And even being utter trash as a game mechanic, it could have been an awesome rp/aesthetic tool. But with the severly lacking customization options, it is worse than nothing.
    Options
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really really hoping to use some of the anti-meta fun sets out there to gear out my companion in order to make solo play more entertaining. I'll still use them of course, but it's really sad that they have their own restrictive gear - yet again leaving hundreds of sets underutilized.
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
    Options
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭

I think it's more then Zos giving into fears. I think they just didn't put a lot of effort or thought into them. When you play with them they don't have much in the way of interactive voicing. Mirri has times where she says I've been looking for this place but there's no reasons given why. I would love to know about her feelings with boats, goblins and snakes in backstory but I haven't found anything that triggers it.

I could go on but the main take away I have from them is a feeling of being unfinished. Lots of good ideals that weren't really thought through and fleshed out. Which is a shame. I suspect there is going to be a lot of disappointment on launch as they stand now.
    Options
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think companions are the main draw of Blackwood. They're just the new feature and easy to advertise. The zone, new account-bound sets, and playing with others are probably the main draws for most people.

Letting companions use normal gear sets would make them overpowered and broken in a lot of ways, but I get the disappointment. As combat allies, they're not impactful. As story content, they're like extended side quests. As partners, they're talkative combat pets. I think they're best enjoyed for the whole package rather than any one role they serve.

Hopefully we get more companion choices sooner rather than later.

Again I say they should have made it like swtors system. All you have to do is decide if you want them to tank DPS or heal. And they start out at your level. And they don't need gear. This is just a grinding work system. Grind their levels and grind for their gear. Imagine a max-level character with a level one companion.
    Options
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They can wear costumes at least.

My issue with companions is less about their appearance and more about their functionality. So far mine are incredible weaklings who go splat every time I do any content that isn't brain dead easy. So if they wanted companions to be a realistic alternative to grouping, so far I have to say that ain't happening, at least not early on. They are going to have to get significantly better as they level up if they are to have any hope of doing that.

So for those who were expecting a SWTOR-like companion, I'm just going to warn you now to temper your expectations.

Brain dead...so, you mean companions are good against zombies?
    Edited by Elvenheart on 4 May 2021 19:16
    Options
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't care much about how they look. I just wanted something like a combat pet/companion,...one that does decent damage, doesn't fall over dead when the enemy has bad breath, and doesn't require more frustrating leveling and/or gear grinding. And I don't talk to my sorc pets and they seem to get along just fine. :/

IMO, unless you're just into pure RP, to consider paying for what they are in their current state is a complete no-go. The PTS is a hilarious rant of ridicule about them. Maybe ZOS will loosen up a bit for the housing and motif crowd so they can dress them up or use them as talking furniture. Other than that, they're pretty painfully useless.
    Options
  • Orion_89
    Orion_89
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think companions, as representatives of the TES univers' dwellers, should be able at least change their hairstyles and wear helmets/capes. I'm OK with no alter-skins and other wild features, but what's the problem with this?

P.S. I already get a pre-order and keep optimism for this adjustments to come!
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get why ZOS is limiting the helmets. I was not expecting to be able to customize how thier head looks. The gear and inventory situation is a little strange, mainly on the point that they have custom gear, and I have to carry it. (Have ZOS devs never played a TES game before... they carry my stuff, not the other way around! :smile: )

As for the appearance of the gear, between costumes and outfits, I do not expect I will have any problems making them unique.

Regarding how they are in combat, I am already seeing that "forum wisdom" is lacking on this point. That is fine. People can learn from the many "companion build" videos that will come out.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Regarding how they are in combat, I am already seeing that "forum wisdom" is lacking on this point. That is fine. People can learn from the many "companion build" videos that will come out.

I'm sure there are going to be ways to make companions useful for some content.

My main gripe is how bland and boring companion gear is -- and that we can't equip them with any of the hundreds of sets that are already in the game. That would have been fun and actually had me excited enough to buy the chapter.
    Options
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a head piece style I could use one of the MANY monster set styles I've consumed. I'm not much into RP but I'd love to dress one up as a Pirate Skeleton so they can travel along with my pirate character. :frowning:
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
    Options
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    With a head piece style I could use one of the MANY monster set styles I've consumed. I'm not much into RP but I'd love to dress one up as a Pirate Skeleton so they can travel along with my pirate character. :frowning:

Yes! And it's sad that ZOS decided to restrict that. There are so many fun/thematic builds we could make with companions if they would just allow head gear and access to the hundred of item sets that exist in the game.

It's like they forget what it's like to be a player who creates fun and creative themes that alter the way we approach combat.
    Options
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes! And it's sad that ZOS decided to restrict that. There are so many fun/thematic builds we could make with companions if they would just allow head gear and access to the hundred of item sets that exist in the game.

It's like they forget what it's like to be a player who creates fun and creative themes that alter the way we approach combat.

Even if they just served a cosmetic purpose, it would be better than nothing.
    Options
  • RageKing
    RageKing
    ✭✭✭✭
    ive pre purchased all previous content but will be skipping this one until it is eventually discounted and cheap.
    unless companions as well as the new cp system need a huge rework, I dont see myself playing much this year. might have to finally switch to a new game this year and hope next year is better. but by that time ES6 should hopefully be out and take up all my time
    Options
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    I never saw the use for companions in this game most content is too easy and the harder content is usually the mechanics so companions can't handle it anyway.
    Then I was like, ok we get an NPC follower slot we might be able to create to follow our character. But ZOS went no these are unique NPC who will speak about surrounding and such.
    Then I felt, maybe I can give them some of my older/less used sets and try synergizing a bit. ZOS went, NO! you have to grind their specific gear!
    I am not seeing any upsides for companions right now. I'll stare at them a bit when a random or guildie has them out and wait for a big sale to buy it.
    Options
  • Draka46
    Draka46
    ✭✭
    As a roleplayer, i was rather intrigued thinking about the possibilities that Companions could help add to RP through visual presence, when it was first announced. Like lending visual aid to RP'ing NPC undead minions, bodyguards, other characters the person controls or just as stand-in figures during conversations instead of looking at empty space.. RP is admittedly about imagination, but immersion can be helped immensely if you can find an in-game proxy to serve your needs. Hence people running RP for others often spend a lot of time looking around in-game for good locations. Because if you suspend disbelief a little more via. visual aid, you'll have a much easier time putting your creativity into imagining other details of the RP.
    I imagine a fair amount of people outside the RP community felt similarly excited about the idea of maybe being able to live out certain fantasies of their own. Like approximating the appearance of another one of their characters and effectively partner them up with another of their characters (visually), or approximating the appearance of an NPC they admire or as a figure they think of as being with their character in their personal narrative.

As much as i can sympathize with what's been said in livestreams about why the companion's faces can't be hidden. That is, so as to let the companions retain their characters, and maybe, to value the work being put into their personal stories. As much sense as it makes sense, i feel like players should have the opportunity to do the same kind of personalizing for their companions.

That's why i feel that the "no helmets" mechanic should be revoked and that maybe, it should even be possible to apply collectibles like hair and adornments to these characters (possibly even skins and polymorphs).. Might not happen, but heck, maybe someone will listen and at least consider the option.
    Options
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I had lot of hopes for companions:

- ability to make them stand on pressure plates (perform basic mechanics)
    - ability to use any costume/outfit freely, with hats
    - ability to use personalities/skins/tattoos on them
    - ability to use polymorphs on them
    - ability to equip player's gear on them (including crafted gear)
    - some bag space on each companion, where I can store my items

Nothing of this is possible :(
    I have to admit, I didn't think that companions would be able to ride any mounts (until it was revealed on Twitch stream). But this is the only nice thing about them, for me.

I really wanted to finally have permanent skeletal servant for my necromancers... Using simple Skeleton polymorph on my companion :'(
    Options
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fischblut wrote: »
    I had lot of hopes for companions:

- ability to make them stand on pressure plates (perform basic mechanics)
    - ability to use any costume/outfit freely, with hats
    - ability to use personalities/skins/tattoos on them
    - ability to use polymorphs on them
    - ability to equip player's gear on them (including crafted gear)
    - some bag space on each companion, where I can store my items

Nothing of this is possible :(
    I have to admit, I didn't think that companions would be able to ride any mounts (until it was revealed on Twitch stream). But this is the only nice thing about them, for me.

I really wanted to finally have permanent skeletal servant for my necromancers... Using simple Skeleton polymorph on my companion :'(

This sums it up pretty well. So much potential wasted...
    Options
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It would be surprising if these things didn't come along later to sell items/cosmetics for companions. From a marketing point of view, perfectly understandable, but sad for all players who really care about individual design and maybe can´t (or don´t want to) spend a lot of money for cosmetics.
    Options
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My main interest for new content is always the zone itself and the quests. But I was very much looking forward to customize the companions and put regular armor sets on them and take them into normal dungeons. So this is shaping up to a very disappointing feature. I hope the Endeavor system saves some grace.

It baffles me how disconnected the dev teams seems to be from the playerbase.
    Options
  • Czeri
    Czeri
    ✭✭✭✭
    The real question is: are companions going to be blocking crafting stations in towns?
    Options
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Czeri wrote: »
    The real question is: are companions going to be blocking crafting stations in towns?

No, they go somewhere else.
    Options
  • Czeri
    Czeri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    Czeri wrote: »

No, they go somewhere else.

Thank you! That makes them better than summoned pets already ;-)

Whether I'll end up playing with a companion or not will end up depending on how well the rapport will mesh with my play style. And how burdersome keeping one around will end up being. For example, I don't mind if they don't fight very well, but if I have to find their carcasses and revive them all the time (spending soul gems?), I probably won't bother. The thing about having to carry their gear sounds like something that'll keep me from using one, but I'll have to see how much inventory space that would actually take.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the players who complain that companions don't serve any real purpose in combat the same players who would complain that companions were over-powered if they did, I wonder?
    Options
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Are the players who complain that companions don't serve any real purpose in combat the same players who would complain that companions were over-powered if they did, I wonder?

I dont care either way. I just wanted them for rp and cosmetic purposes, and given how lacking they are in that department, they are useless to me. Sadly, because it is a feature I was really looking forward to.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

It can be both, you know, thanks to how ZOS balances ESO. ZOS originally intended for Companions to be effective partners in group dungeons. An effective dungeon DD is almost always "overpowered" in comparison to overland NPC mobs.

The result is that ZOS made Companions underpowered in Dungeons and World Boss fights (they lack survivability in mechanics and AOEs) AND made them effective in overland mob fights, which is exactly the content designed for brand new players with no CP and mismatched gear. In other words, Companions add the most power precisely to the content that is already the easiest the game has to offer.

ZOS could've worked around this if they wanted to, perhaps adding scaling to companion health/damage in group content...but no, ZOS didn't want companions to threaten to replace players. And so we got companions who can't even do the most basic thing a new dungeon runner learns: "don't stand in stupid."
    Options