Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Updated Valkyn Skoria set. Still less than Nerien'eth?

Teflondon75
Teflondon75
✭✭
So first I'll mention I do not have any of the monster sets, so I really have no idea what I'm talking about haha. BUT, looking at the updated Valkyn Skoria it appears to be "less" than Nerien'eth still. Am I not seeing something here? Same 1 piece and 2 piece is 6% on "DoT only" vs 10% on "any" damage proc. Also, Nerien'eth does more damage still, even with the 10% bonus to Skoria come thieves guild update. Crystal takes 3 seconds to blow vs however long the meteor takes to drop(I'm not sure...?) and the question would be which has the larger AoE as well.
  • Teflondon75
    Teflondon75
    ✭✭
    Interesting, it posted and I cannot edit for some reason haha. So, for those with PTS(I'm on PS4) is the Valkyn skoria still lacking comparatively?
    Options
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most importantly, Skoria's proc is still bugged. According to people's testing on the live server, it procs only on the initial DoT tick, which is a bug introduced in IC. Skoria was doing just fine with a 4% proc chance pre-IC; the bump to 6% is unnecessary if they just fix that bug, and without that bug fixed, the bump to 6% means nothing.

When I tested Skoria on Blood Spawn on the PTS with a magicka DK running multiple DoTs (Eruption, Engulfing Flames, Burning Embers, Blockade of Elements, and the DoT from the Burning status effect), it proc'ed very infrequently. There was one run of Blood Spawn it proc'ed zero times. In another run, it contributed only around 300 DPS of overall damage.

Until they fix Skoria, it's still worthless.
    Edited by code65536 on February 12, 2016 6:28PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
    Options
  • Teflondon75
    Teflondon75
    ✭✭
    ohh, ok. Does Skoria proc% from every tic of every DoT?(supposed to at least) and Nerien'eth only works from the first tic like some other abilities etc? If that was the case, once it's fixed, I could see that being decent. If Nerien'eth also has proc% on every tic it's still better, is it not?
    Options
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Most importantly, Skoria's proc is still bugged. According to people's testing on the live server, it procs only on the initial DoT tick, which is a bug introduced in IC. Skoria was doing just fine with a 4% proc chance pre-IC; the bump to 6% is unnecessary if they just fix that bug, and without that bug fixed, the bump to 6% means nothing.

When I tested Skoria on Blood Spawn on the PTS with a magicka DK running multiple DoTs (Eruption, Engulfing Flames, Burning Embers, Blockade of Elements, and the DoT from the Burning status effect), it proc'ed very infrequently. There was one run of Blood Spawn it proc'ed zero times. In another run, it contributed only around 300 DPS of overall damage.

Hmm I don't think I noticed this happening while testing VS on PTS. I was getting it to proc very frequently, but not sure if it was on the first hit or not. Will go back and test some more.

While nerienth may look good on paper, its drawback lies in that its proc is stationary. It is easy to avoid in PvP because of the 3 second wind up, and even in PvE mobs can move around to get out of the damage area. In comparison, VS's meteor is locked onto the target (just like the ultimate Meteor), but the lingering AoE is indeed stationary where it hit (also just like Meteor ult).
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
    Options
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nerien'eth will only proc when an ability is cast. So it will proc when you cast a dot, but can't proc off subsequent tics.
    Options
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok just hopped on and tested VS. This bug does not appear to be an issue. I was getting it to proc on non-first hits regularly (using NB's Debilitate DoT ability).
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Options
  • Teflondon75
    Teflondon75
    ✭✭

Hmm I don't think I noticed this happening while testing VS on PTS. I was getting it to proc very frequently, but not sure if it was on the first hit or not. Will go back and test some more.

While nerienth may look good on paper, its drawback lies in that its proc is stationary. It is easy to avoid in PvP because of the 3 second wind up, and even in PvE mobs can move around to get out of the damage area. In comparison, VS's meteor is locked onto the target (just like the ultimate Meteor), but the lingering AoE is indeed stationary where it hit (also just like Meteor ult).

Right, I've seen that Nerieneth is stationary. But area control? If they are moving out of the area they may not be attacking you? Just thinking, like I said I have no practical experience with these sets. Seems like a good time to use talons. Eat the higher damage or use valuable stamina. Just thinking out loud here.

Options
  • Teflondon75
    Teflondon75
    ✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Nerien'eth will only proc when an ability is cast. So it will proc when you cast a dot, but can't proc off subsequent tics.

OK, excellent. That settles it then I guess. Sorry for the fuss ;) I was originally thinking about this set because it looked excellent but had seen a few "Pro level" DK's mentioning that this set would still not be a good choice in PvE vs Kena. This lead me to think about the other sets, Nerien'eth of course, and in PvP as well.
    Edited by Teflondon75 on February 12, 2016 6:59PM
    Options
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, excellent. That settles it then I guess. Sorry for the fuss ;)

Yea with VS you can have 5 (or however many) DoTs going at once on a target, with each tick of each DoT offering a chance for proc.
    Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on February 13, 2016 1:48AM
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Options
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

OK, excellent. That settles it then I guess. Sorry for the fuss ;)

That isn't what I experienced. When using Nerien'eth with Puncturing Sweep it would never proc, but with Crippling Grasp it does. The reason being Crippling Grasp also has a non-DoT initial damage amount associated with it. I would expect that it will only proc on a DoT ability with initial damage, so keep that in mind if you are deciding between the 2.
    Edited by kojou on February 12, 2016 7:01PM
    Playing since beta...
    Options
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea with VS you can have 5 (or however many) DoTs going at once on a target, with each tick of each DoT offering a chance for proc.
    Unfortunately, not so much. I've done a few hours of testing Valkyn Skoria on the PTS, and what I found was that stacking dots with the same timer; 1s dots, 2s dots, etc, doesn't help. It only seems to be 'reading' one dot cast per target. This is just fine for a group of mobs, where a player can lay Caltrops or Wall of Elements/Class dots to have a 1s tick chance per target per second. Meteor proc rate in that situation is frequent. Single target, however, not so much.

Because of the apparent 1 dot rule, the absolute worst build to use with VK would be burn-damage DK. All of those timers are going off with similar intervals. Fortunately, the set does seem to read the fastest ticking dot, rather than the first cast or the most recently cast. This makes the best skills to use for pure meteor proc rate Flurry(DW) and Puncturing Strikes(Templar) morphs. Ideal play for the monster set, then, is to use your normal rotation as a Templar with Jabs/Sweep as your main offense. The meteor rate is decent for this build, and also conveniently fills the hole that Nerien'eth leaves for an effective set choice for the class.

Of course, thematically this is all wrong. The monster set with the clearest 'use dots' tooltip works best with a class skill which presents itself as direct-damage. I'm unsure what to suggest for an adjustment, as I don't know if they've ever stated why it was changed from the pre-IC behavior.
    Options
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erraln wrote: »
    Unfortunately, not so much. I've done a few hours of testing Valkyn Skoria on the PTS, and what I found was that stacking dots with the same timer; 1s dots, 2s dots, etc, doesn't help. It only seems to be 'reading' one dot cast per target. This is just fine for a group of mobs, where a player can lay Caltrops or Wall of Elements/Class dots to have a 1s tick chance per target per second. Meteor proc rate in that situation is frequent. Single target, however, not so much.

Because of the apparent 1 dot rule, the absolute worst build to use with VK would be burn-damage DK. All of those timers are going off with similar intervals. Fortunately, the set does seem to read the fastest ticking dot, rather than the first cast or the most recently cast. This makes the best skills to use for pure meteor proc rate Flurry(DW) and Puncturing Strikes(Templar) morphs. Ideal play for the monster set, then, is to use your normal rotation as a Templar with Jabs/Sweep as your main offense. The meteor rate is decent for this build, and also conveniently fills the hole that Nerien'eth leaves for an effective set choice for the class.

Of course, thematically this is all wrong. The monster set with the clearest 'use dots' tooltip works best with a class skill which presents itself as direct-damage. I'm unsure what to suggest for an adjustment, as I don't know if they've ever stated why it was changed from the pre-IC behavior.

Well, that would explain why it was basically not working for a DK DoT build.

Regardless of the specifics, if it's proc'ing that infrequently for a magicka DKs--the most DoT-heavy build in the game--then it's still broken.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
    Options
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I tested Valkyn Skoria on the PTS... I noticed a couple of oddities:

First- I used Unrelenting Grip on a few monsters and it kept proccing Valkyn. (I checked FTC and there was no "burning" effect damage either) Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't Firey Grip and its morphs just straight damage? No DoT, right?

Second- (this only happened once) I was walking by some lions and Valkyn procced! I didn't even touch them!!! I didn't have any AOE abilities on or anything like that. Valkyn just randomly procced.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
    Options
  • TheM0rganism
    TheM0rganism
    ✭✭✭
    Stamina templar tank here...

I throw VS on periodically on ez mode dungeons for the lolz, and pre-IC all the way up to live right now, I can get the meteor to proc off Pierce Armor.

It's bugged
    PS4 DC Stamina Templar Tank/DPS...because I ALWAYS play on hard mode
    #2233 - Never Forget
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right, I've seen that Nerieneth is stationary. But area control? If they are moving out of the area they may not be attacking you? Just thinking, like I said I have no practical experience with these sets. Seems like a good time to use talons. Eat the higher damage or use valuable stamina. Just thinking out loud here.

Area control would only apply to melee attacks on both sides. Nerien'eth also procs with ranged attacks. It's weird seeing lich crystals pop up at the bottom of keep walls when you are defending up top. By the same token, you can still be attacked at range.

I really like Nerien'eth for PvE; in PvP it's underwhelming.
    Options