The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Do you think ZOS should implement more things to the User Interface?

• Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they should take the most dowloaded addons from ESOUI and support them as optional features.
    Smiteye wrote: »
    k9mouse wrote: »
    I have it said and I quote:

"Games like WoW, people play the UI and not the game." With a min UI, people are more focus on the world, thus are not playing the UI.

Sorry but having to watch my hands for a specific buff is not immersing me in the game more than just seeing a quick icon telling me if my debuff landed or not. I am focusing on one tiny spot on the screen instead of the game because I dont have buff timers or debuff readings from spells I have cast. The job of a proper UI is to inform you of things clearly and let you play the game, not force you to have no clue what is happening.

How this post only got three agrees yet five "LOL" flags is one of the great mysteries of the universe :(.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they should take the most dowloaded addons from ESOUI and support them as optional features.
    They definitely should improve the UI...it can be clunky, confusing, and a bit cumbersome especially to newer players and even non-ES fanatics. But they need to keep the ES theme.

Definitely room for improvement and its one of the weaker spots in the game.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if you don't want anything extra in the HUD, I can not understand how people could possibly be against the addition of things like a crafting tab in your inventory that would show your crafting timers.

Or your researched motifs, or inventory search filters.

Or what weapon/armour traits you have already researched.

Or a horse feed timer.

This is such obvious and yet missing information and have no bearing at all on the HUD or "minimalist" look ZoS is going for when they can just put the info in a sub-menu. It is a pain to have to keep updating addons (which ZoS breaks with every update by not allowing for depreciation).
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Even if you don't want anything extra in the HUD, I can not understand how people could possibly be against the addition of things like a crafting tab in your inventory that would show your crafting timers.

Looks like only 22% of the voters are that selfish, and sadly it's the population ZOS is catering with their awfull UI.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    magnusnet wrote: »

Looks like only 22% of the voters are that selfish, and sadly it's the population ZOS is catering with their awfull UI.

Indeed, sir, indeed.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭
    magnusnet wrote: »

Indeed, sir, indeed.

:/ only people who have something to complain about are using the forum after all, no?

Well, whatever. I like the simple UI, for me, I wanted ESO to feel like an ES game. And that is what that game is doing.

I play PvP, as well as PvE (Solo, Trials and Vet Dungeons) as Healer, Tank, and Damage Dealer. I do all crafting professions and already played with all different weapons. So I guess I have a pretty good view over many aspects of the game.
    And I have to say, that most things should stay as Addons. Only those things that give Add-on users a huge advantage should actually be ingame as options.

1) Knowing about crafting. Seeing what you have already researched as a simple table in the journal and seeing which items you have not researched yet when you are in your inventory. (Just like you can see which Recipes you already learned.)

2) Taunting timer. Is that even a question? I can't use the long-range taunt effective because I have no clue when it will end. Only using it together with another, visible spell like Restoring Focus can give you that information without addons.
    Same with other "invisible spells" like Blinding Flashes.

3) Rapid Regeneration/Mutagen. I don't know when it ends with just the almost invisible particle effects, so I am "forced" to use Extended Ritual at the same time to get the feeling. With Mutagen it's even more cruel cause it can deplete before the time runs out. Knowing when it ends on your group members would be quite a nice thing.

I guess all the other classes have some spells too which can't be seen. Siphon Spirit and Elemental Drain would love some more visibility, for example.

So I guess what i want isn't even an UI that tells you everything, just some more visibility for some quite essential spells and abilities we are using.
    Edited by Shinra on November 13, 2014 10:44AM
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain).
    I have choose other as you have not really given much choice yourself on this!

As I play SWTOR as well as a few other games, I'd like to see something similar to that, it did have what I thought at the time was the most shockingly deficient UI ever, but sadly this has been taken by ESO.
    You can change everything in SWTOR UI turning off an on whatever you like, resizing within the game.
    Now this type of UI would suit all as it cater's for those, that for what ever reason don't want to know anything and for those for whatever reason want to know everything.
    This still leaves room for the modders who are amazing at developing something that everyone wants to use.
    I find it hard to believe that anyone can defend some of the UI elements within this game, the inventory and stores are shocking, to the point where the actual guild store is more or less unusable without Addons!
  • Shinra
    Shinra
    ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to believe that anyone can defend some of the UI elements within this game, the inventory and stores are shocking, to the point where the actual guild store is more or less unusable without Addons!
    strange... somehow the guild store works just fine for me...
  • xarguideb17_ESO
    xarguideb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Shinra wrote: »

You can't even search items by name.
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a player feels like their need more info -- there are addons, but for of us do not feel the need, we keep default min UI and we should NOT have to feel forced to use so called "option" to play the game.

Once an "option" is in the default UI, there is more peer pressure to use the "option" even if the player hates it. By keeping certain "options" in the land of addons, there is less peer pressure to use the addons. This is what I meant by being forced to use the "options" and it is best to keep them as addon for those feel that they has no need for those "options".

I want play a TES game 1st and MMO 2nd.

It is a trade off, I have to put up with some MMO aspects for ESO to work as a MMO and MMO players must put up with some TES game aspects to keep the TES fans happy.

Keeping a Min UI is an aspect that a MMO player must get used too. That is why ZOS is allowing addons, to help to keep MMO players happy if they feel that they "must" have that certain options. That does not mean it should be part of the default UI. Some addons are best left as addons and stay out of the default UI.

In what way can someone "force" you to use an option if it's a check box, but not if it's an add-on? Where is the logic in that?
  • Loneshard
    Loneshard
    ✭✭✭

Thats would be a great thing for console players too!
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shinra wrote: »

You can't even search items by name.

Yup, I'm all for the Guild Store system since I hate Auction Houses, but ZOS isn't really making it easy for people to adopt their system by forcing them to click ~5x each time you visit a new guild merchant to look for the same item. AwesomeGuildstore addon solves this by allowing search through Keywords and saving searches but the addon is tricky to use and sometimes gives no results when it actually should be returning stuff (And I'm almost 100% sure this is because of the API limitations).

If this was a native functionality, it wouldn't be so buggy.
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Razzak wrote: »
    If a player feels like their need more info -- there are addons, but for of us do not feel the need, we keep default min UI and we should NOT have to feel forced to use so called "option" to play the game.

Once an "option" is in the default UI, there is more peer pressure to use the "option" even if the player hates it. By keeping certain "options" in the land of addons, there is less peer pressure to use the addons. This is what I meant by being forced to use the "options" and it is best to keep them as addon for those feel that they has no need for those "options".

It is a trade off, I have to put up with some MMO aspects for ESO to work as a MMO and MMO players must put up with some TES game aspects to keep the TES fans happy.

Keeping a Min UI is an aspect that a MMO player must get used too. That is why ZOS is allowing addons, to help to keep MMO players happy if they feel that they "must" have that certain options. That does not mean it should be part of the default UI. Some addons are best left as addons and stay out of the default UI.

In what way can someone "force" you to use an option if it's a check box, but not if it's an add-on? Where is the logic in that?

People using that excuse usually will argue that if it's an addon you can always use the excuse that you don't trust them or don't know how to download them which doesn't actually change anything .
    In my raid guild we force people to use FTC & link DPS, it's a prerequisite.

Some people try to be sneaky about it and don't link their DPS, result is they never get invited to any raids.

On the contrary, in my casual guild, you will NEVER see someone asking you to install ANY addon what so ever.

If the things we ask for where implemented as UI elements, it would be the same thing. Some guilds would never ask for you to use them and serious groups will force you to use them.

The only solution to the "peer pressure" is to disable the API elements & break all addons, thus making about half of the player base ragequit in the process.
  • Jack-0
    Jack-0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When people say "I want X in because is 'standard' in a MMO" What they are really saying, "I like WoW clones because they are standard and I want to turn ESO into a WoW clone"

Utter. Bull. Some of us in ESO have played more MMOs than just WoW you know. I'm disappointed with ESO's UI. It is very clean, true, but the complete lack of information on offer is quite a set back in terms of players understanding what's happening around them and how they can adjust/counter/improve. I'm amazed that there is no combat log or a buff meter visible during gameplay for example, and no way to reposition party frames etc..

Combat logs, buff meters and customisable party frames predate WoW (e.g. UO, it had two of these features before WoW even existed).

Get your facts right.

So long as any new additions can be toggled on or off it's nothing but pure selfishness to answer in any way other than 'yes' to this poll.
  • xarguideb17_ESO
    xarguideb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @Razzak‌
    Once an "option" is in the default UI, there is more peer pressure to use the "option" even if the player hates it.

Maybe your friends are mean bullies and make you use addons that you don't really need, I don't know.
    But maybe they want to do some competitive content that requires for you to receive that extra information from game and thus be more effective?
    Maybe you hang around in the wrong company?
    You don't have to do veteran dungeons and raids, you can just casually do quests and pick flowers.
    Options make the game more versatile.
    They are here to make you able to play as you want.
    They will allow you to play as hardcore solo fan who can turn everything off and also allow MMO-guys to turn every meter on just as they want.

Being mad at options, it's like being angry at a window that you can actually open, but you don't want to open, however your mom tells you to open it, because you need some fresh air. :-P
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Razzak wrote: »

There is no logic in it. But that won't stop some from complaining. :)

The only 2 things that are likely to ever be required in raids are DPS meters and Teamspeak.

I have a hard time coming up with any other UI element or addon that any raid leader would ever care about, since at the end of the day all they care about is that you are pulling your own weight DPS wise ( healers and tanks are easy to tell if they are doing an acceptable job), and can hear instructions.

So they can just leave these out of the UI if they wish.
  • Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain).
    Here's the thing about options:

The more options you give to your players, the more dillute the overall experience is. It makes it hard for developers to design content too. How do you balance your content if a portion of your audience don't use these options? What about those that do?

Too hard? Too easy? What's considered cheating? What isn't?

Here's an example: The minimap addons. Using it allows you to remain in combat (or battle ready) while still being aware of what's happening beyond your immediate surroundings. Handy, right? The side effect, however, is that you don't have to get out of potential danger in order to look at it. Meaning the act of looking at the map is no longer a decision. There are no longer risks involved. This goes beyond personal taste because this, tiny insignificant looking tool, changes the game.

Here's another example: Buff timers. Handy, right? The side effect is that now you're aware of everything that is going on with your character with little to no effort. Why should it take effort? I'm not suggesting that it should, but what happens is that you're taking these effects for granted. Can't track all these buffs and debuffs in your head? Don't carry so many skills that have buffs and debuffs effects. This kind of thing has a HUGE impact on the game.

No. You either build your game with all the UI crap, or you don't. I personally like what ZoS is doing with their minimalistic UI but I just want everyone to be playing the SAME GAME. The fact that you can install addons, unfortunately, merely opens the door for these kind of debates.

With that said, being able to >MOVE< the UI to how you see fit is completely justified. The information doesn't change.
    You don't have to do veteran dungeons and raids, you can just casually do quests and pick flowers.
    You can do veteran dungeons and raids without addons. Thing is (theoretically) you wouldn't be able to find a group if everyone is expecting people to use these addons "because it's easier".

I WANT to do veteran dungeons, but my ability to do so should be based on my character's abilities, items and my personal skill level. Not what I have installed.
    Edited by Gix on November 13, 2014 3:00PM
  • Shinra
    Shinra
    ✭✭✭
    The only 2 things that are likely to ever be required in raids are DPS meters and Teamspeak.
    I want Teamspeak ingame...

• Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a number of addons without which I would simply no longer be willing to play this game.

These are addons that even the immersionist people can't argue against. These are the quality-of-life ones that simply make information more accessible as well as menus more manageable. Add-ons such as Inventory Item Borders, Advanced Filters, Research Assistant, Wykkyd's Info, etc.

Does it immerse you to not be able to know what the Horse-Feed-Timer or the Crafting-Timer is without interacting with the Horse Vendor or the Crafting Station? Or to not be able to quickly sort items by type, and get a view of your entire inventory?

No, it is preposterous to argue against that, as these are objective improvements to the Base UI, which cut down on time managing this information, and are not just for flavor.

If these things were no longer available I would quit the game tomorrow. I believe most players feel the same way. It is ridiculous enough to have all your addons break and settings deleted every major patch. I have gone through that process about five times now. It is getting really really old.

They should move towards implementing what have essentially become integral parts of the game via extremely popular addons, into the Base UI.
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    No but as long as the features are optional and don't advantage other people I'm fine with it.
    Don't forced your UI on my game play. Ever so called "optional" UI aspects are not really optional -- if everyone is using it, then it becomes forced down your neck. It is far better to leave them out of the default UI.

There is a reason that ZOS is allowing addons after all. Player want it they should use addons or make them own. I love the min UI and not using any addons unless I have too. Even with those addons, they are min in aspect and does not messing my screen up with garbage.

You're forcing your ui on us, by not allowing the options for people who want them like nameplates and minimap, buff tracking, guild store searching with a better interface, etc. You would remain completely able to NOT use the options just like addons exist now, by simply not toggling them on in your settings menu. :disappointed: .

You may like the UI but a lot don't. The only difference is you insist no one should have it how they want but yourself, while we want everyone to.

PROOF that nameplates, health bars, mana/ammo numbers, and minimaps make for a great, clean, minimalistic UI still:

BF4-Gameplay-4.jpg

ESO's is just lacking everything, from cleanliness, intuitiveness/usability, and features.

WOOOHHHHHH BF4!!!!!!! F-ing LOVE that game lol
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't forced your UI on my game play. Ever so called "optional" UI aspects are not really optional -- if everyone is using it, then it becomes forced down your neck. It is far better to leave them out of the default UI.

There is a reason that ZOS is allowing addons after all. Player want it they should use addons or make them own. I love the min UI and not using any addons unless I have too. Even with those addons, they are min in aspect and does not messing my screen up with garbage.

You're forcing your ui on us, by not allowing the options for people who want them like nameplates and minimap, buff tracking, guild store searching with a better interface, etc. You would remain completely able to NOT use the options just like addons exist now, by simply not toggling them on in your settings menu. :disappointed: .

You may like the UI but a lot don't. The only difference is you insist no one should have it how they want but yourself, while we want everyone to.

PROOF that nameplates, health bars, mana/ammo numbers, and minimaps make for a great, clean, minimalistic UI still:

BF4-Gameplay-4.jpg

ESO's is just lacking everything, from cleanliness, intuitiveness/usability, and features.

WOOOHHHHHH BF4!!!!!!! F-ing LOVE that game lol

At least the UI doesn't suck like ESO's and @Attorneyatlawl‌'s point is 100% true.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given that having useful information as an option in the default UI will not fly with the immersion crowd, I have an alternative suggestion.

They should funnel a small amount of resources into incentivising addons

1. A $200 best new addon award every 2 to 3 months. Maybe $50 to the runner ups.
    2. An annual or biannual addons oscars like thing where addons of various categories are awarded small cash prizes for various achievements.
    Edited by timidobserver on November 13, 2014 3:43PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't mind add-one, but the problem I have is each major content patch breaks them. And half the time, it seems like the add-on dev has quite and stopped updating it. I end up losing functionality or have to spend time curating mg add-omw and testing to replace functionality.

That's not fun for me.
  • xarguideb17_ESO
    xarguideb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @Gix
    No. You either build your game with all the UI crap, or you don't. I personally like what ZoS is doing with their minimalistic UI but I just want everyone to be playing the SAME GAME. The fact that you can install addons, unfortunately, merely opens the door for these kind of debates..

Why is it so important that everyone plays the same game? Does everyone also have to dress the same maybe? Have the same religion?
    Everyone must be able to customize their experience. What remains same, is Nirn. But what and how you do in it and how you perceive stuff should be subject to customization.
    ZoS has ever tried to appeal to both crowds, the mmo player and the skyrim player and I believe they've done a good job at that. The best example is implementing first person view in the game. They weren't supposed to have it at first. This is also a good example of listening to the demands of the community, but I digress :P. Also activities are different. There's pvp, pve, solo quests group content, crafting, even roleplaying etc. Not the same game for everyone. Imagine, sooner or later the game is even going to come on consoles. Even more groups of people who might want to perceive the game differently.

Cheating? That shouldn't be too hard to define for ESO. I'd say when you're botting, modifying the client, abusing bugs, then you're cheating.
  • Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain).
    @Gix
    No. You either build your game with all the UI crap, or you don't. I personally like what ZoS is doing with their minimalistic UI but I just want everyone to be playing the SAME GAME. The fact that you can install addons, unfortunately, merely opens the door for these kind of debates..

Why is it so important that everyone plays the same game? Does everyone also have to dress the same maybe? Have the same religion?
    Everyone must be able to customize their experience. What remains same, is Nirn. But what and how you do in it and how you perceive stuff should be subject to customization.
    ZoS has ever tried to appeal to both crowds, the mmo player and the skyrim player and I believe they've done a good job at that. The best example is implementing first person view in the game. They weren't supposed to have it at first. This is also a good example of listening to the demands of the community, but I digress :P. Also activities are different. There's pvp, pve, solo quests group content, crafting, even roleplaying etc. Not the same game for everyone. Imagine, sooner or later the game is even going to come on consoles. Even more groups of people who might want to perceive the game differently.

Cheating? That shouldn't be too hard to define for ESO. I'd say when you're botting, modifying the client, abusing bugs, then you're cheating.
    It's easy to cheer "for freedom!" when you're not considering the impact said freedom has on the entire game.

Games have rules for a reason. Ever tried to play Monopoly where each player have their own house rules? Yeah; doesn't happen. "go freedom!" Do you know why that doesn't work? Because you're playing with other people.

- "I have this addon that tells me exactly where the skyshards are! Here's one!"
    - "Thanks for ruining my exploration"

ZoS has tried to appeal to both crowds by establishing a consistent set of rules that applies to all forms of activities. It's about letting players play how they want with what they have. Now THAT's something I'd cheer for.

Listening to the community is one thing, giving options for the sake of each and everybody's particular tastes is another.
    Edited by Gix on November 13, 2014 5:23PM
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but zos would rather the players add these things to the game. They are use to it from the single player game series. "Because each person has unique tastes in ui config" or some such nonsense.
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    No but as long as the features are optional and don't advantage other people I'm fine with it.
    I have choose other as you have not really given much choice yourself on this!

As I play SWTOR as well as a few other games, I'd like to see something similar to that, it did have what I thought at the time was the most shockingly deficient UI ever, but sadly this has been taken by ESO.
    You can change everything in SWTOR UI turning off an on whatever you like, resizing within the game.
    Now this type of UI would suit all as it cater's for those, that for what ever reason don't want to know anything and for those for whatever reason want to know everything.
    This still leaves room for the modders who are amazing at developing something that everyone wants to use.

I use the guild store, inventory, and regular NPC stores totally find, without any add-ons? How is it unusable without? The designs are quite simple and easy to figure out if you read things and try to figure it out...
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    Does it immerse you to not be able to know what the Horse-Feed-Timer or the Crafting-Timer is without interacting with the Horse Vendor or the Crafting Station? Or to not be able to quickly sort items by type, and get a view of your entire inventory?

Yeah... it kind of does immerse you... the Horse-Feed-Timer and Crafting-Timer are kind of like businesses working on your things... you don't know how long it will be until they finish, until you ask them "how much longer?" also... you can sort items by type?? There are tabs you know... for weapons... armor... consumables... materials... miscellaneous... I don't understand what you mean by not being able to sort by type because to me that's sorting by type...
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah... it kind of does immerse you... the Horse-Feed-Timer and Crafting-Timer are kind of like businesses working on your things... you don't know how long it will be until they finish, until you ask them "how much longer?" also... you can sort items by type?? There are tabs you know... for weapons... armor... consumables... materials... miscellaneous... I don't understand what you mean by not being able to sort by type because to me that's sorting by type...

Except that the vendors tell you exactly how long it is going to take. Of course maybe you want to roleplay an idiot in the ESO universe that doesn't carry a watch, or any method of telling time and in that case you're right.

Advanced Filters is necessary because certain item types get lumped together under such broad categories as 'Weapons' and 'Armor'. Maybe I want to transfer only Heavy Armor to another character for Blacksmithing without mousing over every single item on screen. Do you see how that is useful?
    Edited by Rook_Master on November 13, 2014 7:02PM
  • Lord_Kreegan
    Lord_Kreegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I turn around, I'm scrambling to find out information I need to proceed in the game by having to bring up some interface separate and distinct from the main interface... I'm scrambling because the need always occurs at the most inopportune time.

Example: Having to use the idiotic Q-wheel; the "direct" interface (if you want to call it that) by holding down the Q-wheel will give me the name of the items on the wheel when I mouse over the item... but tell me nothing about the item. Am I supposed to remember the statistis of every potion? I have to go to the inventory to get details.

That's typical and that sucks.

I want to know what buffs I currently have or see if buffs have expired right before I go into a fight; have to go to a different interface... I want to double-check the skill bar and check performance of different skills for an upcoming fight; have to go to a different interface... I want to check the damage on my gear; have to go to a different interface...

Etc.

Sucks great big donkey thingies.

Worst interface ever.
    Edited by Lord_Kreegan on November 14, 2014 1:14PM