Crafting Skooma after the release of the Justice System

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Previously I had a thought off the top of my head about adding skooma peddling once the Justice System is out after some people mentioned the concept in this thread:
Gidorick wrote: »
I 100% agree. A whole Skooma crafting line would be awesome
MornaBaine wrote: »
Gyudan wrote: »
There is Moon Sugar as a provisioning ingredient but it's not possible to craft Skooma.

They should totally add fun stuff like that to Provisioning or Alchemy! Skooma for everyone!

OK, so, for either the Justice System roll-out or an expansion thereof, it would be fun with the right set up. For example, to make Skooma you would need:

-some minimum score in both Provisioning and Alchemy (like, say, 35 Alchemy/45 Provisioning).
-necessary ingredients/reagents, obviously including Moon Sugar (a provisioning ingredient) but also some reagent from Alchemy (maybe one of the toxic mushrooms).
-a unique crafting station available only at the "bandit lairs".
-a crafting writ to create and deliver skooma to particular drop sites in cities/towns.

For some reason this idea came to mind again and a more developed version suggested itself. If you read and let me know what you think. Would you like to see this in the game?

As per my previous comment, let's say you need to go to one of the criminal hideout to craft skooma at a special station using Moon Sugar and a toxic fungus. I vote for Luminous Russula. You get a black market crafting writ with a set drop site inside a city. But to even produce it, you need a minimum score in both Provisioning and Alchemy.

Here's a more fleshed out version of how it would work:

Making the Skooma

Skooma is suggested in the lore to be refined Moon Sugar that has been processed and combined with some other toxic ingredient(s). This would mean you would need a good bit of Moon Sugar to cook it down into a more potent form. So, the recipe would call for some number of units of Moon Sugar as well as some amount of Luminous Russula.

The exact amount needed would depend on your Provisioning and Alchemy skill and the risk of ruining the batch. Let's say you had the minimum skill needed, and for an example let's make that 35 Alchemy/25 Provisioning. You can add up to four Moon Sugars and two Luminous Russulas. But at that low of a skill level, you only have a 35% chance of getting the quality of skooma you can sell. If you only used one of each ingredient and reagent, the chance of success might be closer to 5% or 10%.

At max skill for the required crafting trades, even with four Moon Sugars and two Luminous Russulas you might only get to a 95% of success, whereas with one of each you might sit at 80%. So you've got to decide whether you want to try to make more for less to increase profit per mats or go the safer route and use more mats to make less skooma.

Delivering the Skooma

So in this scenario, you get a writ to make four skooma. The reward is decent, say, 5000 gold (this is just a figure for the sake of example, maybe it should be higher or lower). But, you have some downsides.
  • For one, making, possessing, or selling skooma would get you a fairly high bounty, a decent amount of "heat" from guards, and notoriety among NPCs. The drop sites would be in cities and guards would be on the lookout for skooma peddlers. Perhaps they might even have dogs that could detect it, like theNPCs with torches who can detect players wearing disguises.
  • There are also the desperate skooma addicts who randomly appear, like the NPCs for the Crime Pays, Light Bringer, and Give to the Poor achievements. Some are just addled junkies who follow you around begging for skooma, whereas others will simply attack you to try to take your product.
  • Then there is my suggested twist on the Justice System itself: Allow those with Criminal tabards to attack and kill other players with the same tabard and loot any stolen items or skooma. You don't have to collect mats or get your crafting skills up, just figure out where the drop sites are and who shows up at them. As long as you are the one who places the skooma in the dropbox or gives it to the dealer (however that would work) and you have a writ, the money is yours.

Other Consequences

Assuming you survive your attempts to be Tamriel's very own Heisenberg, you get to enjoy things such as:
  • Random mail or in-person guilt from loved ones of skooma addicts ("You ruined my poor Ka'nasha's life", "This one's father is dead because of people like you!")
  • New NPCs added in the poor neighborhoods of cities (near your drop sites) that allow you to see the desperate, sick people who are addicted to your product and the conditions their varying lengths of use have left them in
Of course, what is to stop your fellow criminals from trying to just gank you after you step foot outside of the bandit lair to turn in your 5000 gold daily writ? Well, perhaps a player and his Argonian character who has a guild that offers you protection in exchange for a cut of your profit...

And what might happen if another group decided it wanted a piece of that lizard's business in Deshaan?

Your comments

If this sounds like something you would want to see in the game please comment. Would you want to get into the skooma trade if it worked this way? Or would it push you into wanting to be an Enforcer to take out those making money off of the misery and death of others? Again, this would in now way be glorifying the drug trade.

Thanks for reading!
Edited by tinythinker on December 8, 2014 6:00AM
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    would i and others like to see this in elderscrolls online?

let me tell you just incase you did not know.

when this forum was in bethesda forum section and there was not even beta for eso and all we had was a forum, this exact topic was aked for and asked about several times.
    so, i know for a fact this is something we ALL want. lol and the sooner the better!!
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    would i and others like to see this in elderscrolls online?

let me tell you just incase you did not know.

when this forum was in bethesda forum section and there was not even beta for eso and all we had was a forum, this exact topic was aked for and asked about several times.
    so, i know for a fact this is something we ALL want. lol and the sooner the better!!

No @dwemer_paleologist‌ I did not know. Sorry if my post is just beating a dead horse.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    haha, your not beating a dead horse at all. nothing of the sort, infact you have brought back to life the very thing we all want :)
    glad you rekindled a dream and hope for us. lets hope your idea comes to life.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice idea. I don't think ZOS will add this feature in nearest provision update, but I hope to see it in future.
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice idea. I don't think ZOS will add this feature in nearest provision update, but I hope to see it in future.
    Definitely not even in the works yet unless I am tapping into Scott Nixon's (the Justice System Lead's) mind while I am drifting off to sleep.

But even some already announced features like Enforcer vs. Criminal PvP aren't going into Update 6, so I think that system is something they are going to develop piece by piece over time. Maybe something like this can be one of those pieces :)

Anyway, thanks for the comment. The more the thread gets the more likely it is to be noticed by ZOS.
    Edited by tinythinker on December 8, 2014 1:54PM

• clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I being high on skooma in Cyrodiil would be awesome. A blurry screen and slowed reaction times would make it seem like there is no lag there. This is really needed @ZOS
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they put in the ability to make skooma, then i for one what to use said skooma and have weird swirly effects on my screen then everything goes black.. Then when my character "comes round" i am at some random location in Tamriel wearing my pants on my head.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dekkameron wrote: »
    If they put in the ability to make skooma, then i for one what to use said skooma and have weird swirly effects on my screen then everything goes black.. Then when my character "comes round" i am at some random location in Tamriel wearing my pants on my head.

Or maybe wake up beside a naked Nord asking where his pants are?
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Skooma could be consumed by players, and get blurry/staggering effects etc.. then they should also have a Detox Period (24hrs maybe?) after the effects end, giving the player a random chance to occasionally fall prey to a flashback. :)

That'd make players think twice about drinking skooma if they're planning on going dungeon spelunking any time in the near future.
    Edited by DenverRalphy on December 8, 2014 2:55PM
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Skooma could be consumed by players, and get blurry/staggering effects etc.. then they should also have a Detox Period (24hrs maybe?) after the effects end, giving the player a random chance to occasionally fall prey to a flashback. :)

That'd make players think twice about drinking skooma if they're planning on going dungeon spelunking any time in the near future.

The have coding for intoxication if you've played the quest in The Rift involving Geirmund's Oath. They could play with that a bit for skooma.
    Edited by tinythinker on December 8, 2014 2:57PM

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Nord from the trailers look familiar with the faceguard removed. Maybe there was more to those battles than just trying to conquer Cyrodiil...

skooma3.png

• Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In LOTRO there was a barrel of "Evil beer" that you could place in your house and anyone who drunk it passed out and woke up somewhere random. That game also has the best drunken effects i have ever seen.

15j3PSc.jpg
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In LOTRO there was a barrel of "Evil beer" that you could place in your house and anyone who drunk it passed out and woke up somewhere random. That game also has the best drunken effects i have ever seen.

15j3PSc.jpg

They have something slightly similar in Cyrodiil if you come across revelers and drink some of their brew. You wake up a good way from where you started.

• bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legalize, this one thinks its a good idea
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • Beowulf_McCallum
    Beowulf_McCallum
    ✭✭✭
    Oh man... Just the thought of the PvP element of this.... Enforcer raids on Skooma dens... Setting up a cartel... ::drool::
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skooma is a gateway feature. If they add skooma, it will lead to all sorts of (un?)desirable things, like slavery, prostitution, the house of earthly pleasures, and sheogorath-worshipping.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    Skooma is a gateway feature. If they add skooma, it will lead to all sorts of (un?)desirable things, like slavery, prostitution, the house of earthly pleasures, and sheogorath-worshipping.

And Sanguine. Also, why you saying that as it's something bad?
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wrote up a skooma concept... didn't get much notice since I put it in the crafting discussion board. It had some similar concepts to your idea... like Skooma being a Alchemy AND a Provision product. I also went into the whole addiction aspect of Skooma.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/141857/skooma-concept-suggestion

I really hope they add Skooma to ESO but the fact that the ESRB rating doesn't include "drug use" they would have to get the game re-rated with the added drug production and use. That costs money... so I'm not sure if this is a realistic expectation to have.
    Edited by Gidorick on December 28, 2014 4:11AM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wrote up a skooma concept... didn't get much notice since I put it in the crafting discussion board. It had some similar concepts to your idea... like Skooma being a Alchemy AND a Provision product. I also went into the whole addiction aspect of Skooma.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/141857/skooma-concept-suggestion

I really hope they add Skooma to ESO but the fact that the ESRB rating doesn't include "drug use" they would have to get the game re-rated with the added drug production and use. That costs money... so I'm not sure if this is a realistic expectation to have.

I'm fairly certain there are things which fall into the realm of drugs all throughout the game. Face it, Alchemy is drugs, and a lot of the quest-based alchemy that hurts you are drugs with bad side effects.

As for Skooma, this brings up the point that I hope they could somehow marry Provisioning and Alchemy in this game like they did in Oblivion or Morrowind.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • angelyn
    angelyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    Sounds great!!Bring it on! There's already that gambling village where you can bet on activities. I know I've come across a quest where you have to match "entertainers" to customers. There's also that inn in Stonefalls where you have half clothed people dancing on beds in front of fully clothed people. I think they even have a man tied up downstairs in some kind of dungeon theme. If you speak to the woman in front of him she says "you will have to wait your turn".AWESOME!
    And Sanguine. Also, why you saying that as it's something bad?
    Sanguine was awesome. I loved the Misty Grove. I even created a house inside it when I was Skyrim modding.

Back to point though- yes, please @ZOS can we have skooma!
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH MAH GAWD! They just HAVE to do this!!! I ALSO want PLAYERS to be able to ingest skooma! And I'd love the results to be hilarious. And occasionally fatal. :)
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like that idea.But,I would not link it to any crafting proffesion(provisioning and Alchemy)Why? because for example,Im just planning to make 1 criminal character,at the moment that character is clothier and I already have another toon with alch and prov which I dont plan to make them criminal.So my criminal toon wont be able to participate in the skooma trading cause he is not and alch or prov.Just make it that anyone who wants to be criminal can learn skooma.Also make skooma drinkable and give it some effects XD.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that idea.But,I would not link it to any crafting proffesion(provisioning and Alchemy)Why? because for example,Im just planning to make 1 criminal character,at the moment that character is clothier and I already have another toon with alch and prov which I dont plan to make them criminal.So my criminal toon wont be able to participate in the skooma trading cause he is not and alch or prov.Just make it that anyone who wants to be criminal can learn skooma.Also make skooma drinkable and give it some effects XD.

So... you wouldn't want it attached to provisioning and Alchemy (which would make sense logically and within the confines of ESO's mechanics) because of VERY specific decisions that YOU have made on how you would like to play the game???

I think in the case of your criminal toon who doesn't want to be an alchemist or cook, just have them be a distributer. A dealer. That would be an awesome addition to the concept to have a way for players to peddle the Skooma to NPCs.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    ✭✭✭✭

So... you wouldn't want it attached to provisioning and Alchemy (which would make sense logically and within the confines of ESO's mechanics) because of VERY specific decisions that YOU have made on how you would like to play the game???

I think in the case of your criminal toon who doesn't want to be an alchemist or cook, just have them be a distributer. A dealer. That would be an awesome addition to the concept to have a way for players to peddle the Skooma to NPCs.

So,by your logic only farmers can grow cannabis?Brewing skooma should be,maybe,in the outlaw skill line,make more sense.Like I say before in rl many drugs dealers are not certified chemist but they learn pretty well how to make the drugs they sell.Also im pretty sure many player would be in my or similar situation.By linking it to professions you are just linking the justice sys with the crafting sys and just putting limitations on players.Crafting skooma as a feature for the justice system should stay in the justice system.

And no i dont want it the way I explained because I make a specific decision lol.My situation is merely an example of many others limitations that can arise by linking those 2 systems.
    Edited by vladimilianoub17_ESO1 on December 28, 2014 4:02PM
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So,by your logic only farmers can grow cannabis?Brewing skooma should be,maybe,in the outlaw skill line,make more sense.Like I say before in rl many drugs dealers are not certified chemist but they learn pretty well how to make the drugs they sell.Also im pretty sure many player would be in my or similar situation.By linking it to professions you are just linking the justice sys with the crafting sys and just putting limitations on players.Crafting skooma as a feature for the justice system should stay in the justice system.

And no i dont want it the way I explained because I make a specific decision lol.My situation is merely an example of many others limitations that can arise by linking those 2 systems.

Skooma production as outlined would be very profitable, and should be difficult to do/require a significant commitment. Alchemy and Provisioning make sense in canon in terms of what skooma is and how it is made, and they are the quickest/easiest crafts to level up. Mostly the commitment comes in some skill point investment (Solvent Proficiency in Alchemy and Recipe Improvement/Recipe Quality in Provisioning) and material gathering and the risks from being a known skooma maker/courier. Basically, you could have lower levels of skill and still make skooma, but you would have a higher risk of failure. If you wanted to be a master skooma maker, using as few mats as possible to get the most product, you would need to make a higher investment in the requisite skills.
    Edited by tinythinker on December 28, 2014 4:18PM

• vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Skooma production as outlined would be very profitable, and should be difficult to do/require a significant commitment."

I totally agree with this and for that reason I still think it should not be linked to crafting.

1st ,as you say alch and prov are easy to lvl,thus taking out some of that difficulty u mentioned and skill points are evrywere plus they normally add some when big updates comes.So by linking it to professions you are actually not making it that difficult.And that is without mention the big gap there would be between players that have prov and alch maxed out vs those who dont.

On the other hand by making skooma brewering a new skill line or part of the outlaw skill line which make more sense as we are talking here about skooma brewering as a feature of justice system,you are giving all players an even ground to start with the skooma feature.Also it gives developers more freedom to put rules and difficulty to the skooma feature as they dont have to look over crafting rules.

I totally love the idea you bring with this thread.And I have a strong feeling that we will going to see it sooner or later as it add more to the justice sys.There is another thread out there about adding skooma brewering,but its mostly about adding skooma as another potion and i think its a waste of time for devs.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heisencat is ready...

Heisencat_zpsb1f88db3.png

That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Vaelen
    Vaelen
    ✭✭✭
    They have to put Skooma traders and quests in Rawl'kha of all places, fits the lore nicely. If a guard in another city sees you with that Skooma, they will be taking that contraband off your hands and putting you into jail.