The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO live- Clarification on how ultimate will be generated in 1.6

• c0rp
    c0rp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would find it very very hard believe that Maria (who plays a tank) and ZOS would allow this to go live without tanks being able to reliably build ultimate. They are dumb sometimes...but no way that dumb.
    Force weapon swap to have priority over EVERYTHING. Close enough.
    Make stamina builds even with magicka builds.
    Disable abilities while holding block.
    Give us a REASON to do dungeons more than once.
    Remove PVP AoE CAP. It is ruining Cyrodiil.
    Fix/Remove Forward Camps. They are ruining Cyrodiil.
    Impenetrability needs to REDUCE CRIT DAMAGE. Not negate entire builds.
    Werewolf is not equal to Vamps/Bats.
    Options
  • derpsticks
    derpsticks
    ✭✭✭✭
    Melee users will have a disadvantage when fighting a ranged user. The ranged can start their ult gen earlier, forcing the melee user to either charge, then light attack or delay their ult regen further by running (a potentially long distance) into melee range.

Ranged users will be "tagging" any enemy in range to start their ult generation, and then see how long they can keep the "no touch backs" rule in effect.

All those bow users will be standing at the top of a keep, building their ults for the coming siege. Meanwhile, melee attackers are forced to heal a friendly who can range attack just to trigger their ult gain.

So weapon swapping between two melee bars is not very efficient.
    Options
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c0rp wrote: »
    I would find it very very hard believe that Maria (who plays a tank) and ZOS would allow this to go live without tanks being able to reliably build ultimate. They are dumb sometimes...but no way that dumb.
    Lolwut? With this new system for Ultimate generation I will be able to drop VoB as a NB tank once a minute, maybe a little faster. That's LOADS faster than I can now in a ST Boss fight. Because lets face it, any tank that plays a Blockbot is bad mmk, you need to do some damage too, and having tanks light attack once every 8 seconds isn't asking a whole lot.
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think, I could maybe live with that.
    I would have to compare, how long it takes now and then to reach my ultimate (not that my ultimate is strong, Sorcerer you know atronach)

But everyone is able to place a light attack here and there, even tanks. It's a solution for the perma blocking turtles in pvp. But this system will force players to change a bit. You always have to remind yourself of using a light attack every few seconds and I'm not sure, if this will be so genius. But we'll se..
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    angelyn wrote: »
    So I asked this question numerous times during the Twitch stream.

They said that you would get a buff after using a light or heavy attack that would generate ultimate. Does this then mean that nothing else will generate ultimate? For example all of our class and weapon skills.

They didn't confirm or deny whether it will be the only way to generate ultimate. Did I misinterpret or is further clarification required? I've not got time stamps as they spoke about it at least twice.
    That's not the only way to generate Ultimate; you can also use a few abilities to get more, such as Carve from the 2H skill line (and the amount of Ultimate that ability gives has been rebalanced as well) or healing another player with the Ultimate gain buff. You will not gain Ultimate by blocking or dodging.

This is simply not clear enough, will class skills like talons generate ultimate or not? HOW different is this new system compared to the old one IN combat?
    Edited by themdogesbite on December 20, 2014 2:08AM
    :]
    Options
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    angelyn wrote: »
    So I asked this question numerous times during the Twitch stream.

They said that you would get a buff after using a light or heavy attack that would generate ultimate. Does this then mean that nothing else will generate ultimate? For example all of our class and weapon skills.

They didn't confirm or deny whether it will be the only way to generate ultimate. Did I misinterpret or is further clarification required? I've not got time stamps as they spoke about it at least twice.
    That's not the only way to generate Ultimate; you can also use a few abilities to get more, such as Carve from the 2H skill line (and the amount of Ultimate that ability gives has been rebalanced as well) or healing another player with the Ultimate gain buff. You will not gain Ultimate by blocking or dodging.

This is simply not clear enough, will class skills like talons generate ultimate or not? HOW different is this new system compared to the old one IN combat?
    ^This.

If you dont get Ultimate from normal skills it will be time to say goodbye to small groups / solo fights I guess. Unless you are a Nightblade...
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
    Options
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanct16 wrote: »
    ^This.

If you dont get Ultimate from normal skills it will be time to say goodbye to small groups / solo fights I guess. Unless you are a Nightblade...
    More like gone are the days of a single DK Vamp spamming Devouring Swarm repeatedly with no interruption in between taking out an entire group of players solo. Ultimates are supposed to be just that, Ultimate. They were NEVER intended to be used with quick succession. Besides as a Tank in PvE this will increase the frequency that I can use mine, a welcome change indeed. Even with a 200 Ult and only doing the standard Light/Heavy once per 8 seconds you will still be able to drop it once a minute. That's more than enough to be competitive. Ultimates with much lower cost will still be capable of being used as often as every ~40 seconds, which is plenty. And that's just based on the standard 3/sec gain via the new mechanic.
    Options
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeLindsay wrote: »
    ^This.

More like gone are the days of a single DK Vamp spamming Devouring Swarm repeatedly with no interruption in between taking out an entire group of players solo. Ultimates are supposed to be just that, Ultimate. They were NEVER intended to be used with quick succession. Besides as a Tank in PvE this will increase the frequency that I can use mine, a welcome change indeed. Even with a 200 Ult and only doing the standard Light/Heavy once per 8 seconds you will still be able to drop it once a minute. That's more than enough to be competitive. Ultimates with much lower cost will still be capable of being used as often as every ~40 seconds, which is plenty. And that's just based on the standard 3/sec gain via the new mechanic.

What you dont seem to understand is that this i smessing with smaller groups in PvP that prefer to fight big numbers. But i suppose you are one of the guys that thinks numbers = winning.
    Options
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do people think holding block without doing a single other thing is all Tanking's about? It isn't that hard to put in a light attack now and then through your block.

And I think it's pretty clear, don't understand why people are still yammering on about "WILL ABILITIES GENERATE ULTI OR NOT TELL US"... they won't unless the skill explicitly states it does. The whole point is to make Ulti generation more or less the same for everyone, except for those using abilities that specifically alter Ulti gain.
    Options
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you dont seem to understand is that this i smessing with smaller groups in PvP that prefer to fight big numbers. But i suppose you are one of the guys that thinks numbers = winning.
    Please then, explain how ZoS taking the perma-Ultimate away from players in PvP (which is what this looks like is happening) is effecting small groups. Ultimates were never meant to be rolled continuously. Just because players got used to a somewhat broken mechanic of the game doesn't mean ZoS should never fix it. Also, as ZoS has stated this will help those players who are in roles that aren't building Ultimate at the rate others are, aka AOE DPS and Light armor DK/Vamp/1H-Shield. The change is providing a much more balanced approach to an ability that should be used infrequently, but to powerful effect when it is used.
    Options
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ^This.

If a single vamp DK kill whatever raid, there is just one reason for it: They are freaking stupid.

Dragonknight depends on Battle Roar to have Magicka/Stamina sustain as DK skills are the most expensive class skills and DKs dont get any other boosts to resource managment.

Gone are the days of DKs being competitive in PVP. (If this should be the only way to get Ult).

>320.000.000 AP
    Options
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please then, explain how ZoS taking the perma-Ultimate away from players in PvP (which is what this looks like is happening) is effecting small groups. Ultimates were never meant to be rolled continuously. Just because players got used to a somewhat broken mechanic of the game doesn't mean ZoS should never fix it. Also, as ZoS has stated this will help those players who are in roles that aren't building Ultimate at the rate others are, aka AOE DPS and Light armor DK/Vamp/1H-Shield. The change is providing a much more balanced approach to an ability that should be used infrequently, but to powerful effect when it is used.

Lets say we fight a group consisting of 20 players, they have 5 sorcerers with negates, my group have 2. The 2 sorcs from my groups entire build is created to maximize the ammount of negates they can drop during a fight, however, the other 5 are not. Should my group have an auto loss just casue we are facing a biigger group with more sorcs in it?

As off right now, we aren´t. However, if this is how ultimate will work, we will more or less loose the fight before it even begins due to us having less negates thanks to the new way of regeneration ultimate. This kind of change just further feeds the zerg mentality.

And please, how can anyone still have issues with a DK vamp? Sure maybe when the darn ulti cost was down to 34, but in todays Cyrodiil theres no way there can be any major issues really.
    Options
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This will help big groups. In order to kill a big group, you need the damage from Ultimates. With 1 Ultimate / Minute, it comes down to who has the most Ultimates which is equal to who has bigger numbers.

Atm our sorcs drop like 4 times more negates than enemy sorcs so we can fight bigger groups. After this patch all you have to do as an 24 man raid is to spread out a bit more so you dont get instakilled by someone bombing you.

But ye, I see, people like trains, why remove them. Probably blobing will be still totally viable as healing stays the same and the incoming damage is reduced by a lot due to no more ultimates being used.

>320.000.000 AP
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone are the days of DKs being competitive in PVP. (If this should be the only way to get Ult).

This is very funny. I don't think, the overmighty and overpowered DK is in the position to complain about anything. Just because this time you didn't receive a buff, like they did it for like 8 months ?

Sorcerers for example had to survive completely without usefull ultimates (And I'm always saying this from a 1v1 point of view, because that's where skill is needed) All of us will have to survive with less ultimate, how it is supposed to be. Your dragon knight flag still is laughable cheap, so you will still be OP.

Edited by Dracane on December 20, 2014 3:07AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative

Is this basically the developers saying they don't like people using ultimate more than once a minute or building for ultimate generation?

I was excited when I heard that there would be ways to generate ultimate beyond crits (and healing when not in combat), and am now extremely disappointed that this is what is in the works. Why not changing it so damage taken/damage dealt/healing done builds ultimate at fair ratios instead of effectively nullifying the usage of ultimates? They're supposed to be ultimate for a reason...
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
    Options
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind the idea of making it easier for people who play a certain way to be able to generate more ultimate and be on par with other builds and styles, but the original idea was to reward smart play. Block. Dodge. Heal. Use class skills effectively. The system might have been complex but that is sometimes necessary to properly reward good play. I am sure it can be simplified a bit and still reward good play. If there is an issue with high crit builds giving too many ultimate points too quickly, that crit multiplier for ult gen can be reduced. For the healing issue, have ult gain limited to healing targets that register as "in combat".

I know that for my Templar, when I do solo dungeons or do solo quests or what not I open on groups of mobs with Blazing Spear from a distance, use Blazing Shield, and then heal/finish off the group with Puncturing Sweep which also gives healing per damage done. For tougher fights I use Channeled Focus and if it is a larger group or a longer fight I pop Repentance once in a while to regain health and stamina. I also do lots of blocking while using Blazing Shield if I need a few seconds to regain magicka.

The whole time I am moving about to readjust targeting, and if needed, I add in other abilities to the basic rotation. Because of the low cost, in a larger/longer fight I can use Radial Sweep once or twice or more as intended to reduce incoming damage because I am getting ult from the dodging, blocking, damage done, and healing done.

In none of that do I really need or want to take a swipe with my one-handed sword. Sure, if it is going to be required, I can and will if I really need to, but it doesn't make sense or fit the rhythm of the rotation. I would be trading multi-target for single target, leaving myself more open to knockdowns, and reducing dps/lengthening the fight just to toss it in. If that light attack is required every so many seconds, it won't be rewarding my play it will just be a button I have to press.
    Edited by tinythinker on December 20, 2014 3:46AM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    Options
  • Dazin93
    Dazin93
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight depends on Battle Roar to have Magicka/Stamina sustain as DK skills are the most expensive class skills and DKs dont get any other boosts to resource managment.

Well, I would say look at the other classes then because sorc class skills are just as expensive, if not more. As far as resource management goes, I hope you enjoy playing the same ESO that many of us have been playing all along; I don't feel sorry for dk's one bit.
    Options
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^This.

If a single vamp DK kill whatever raid, there is just one reason for it: They are freaking stupid.

incorrect... but nice try on hyperbole
    Options
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

This is very funny. I don't think, the overmighty and overpowered DK is in the position to complain about anything. Just because this time you didn't receive a buff, like they did it for like 8 months ?

Sorcerers for example had to survive completely without usefull ultimates (And I'm always saying this from a 1v1 point of view, because that's where skill is needed) All of us will have to survive with less ultimate, how it is supposed to be. Your dragon knight flag still is laughable cheap, so you will still be OP.

Actually, yes we are. NO other class have been hit by as many nerfs as the DKs, this might just be the nail in the coffin. But right, we had some skills that didn´t obey the AoE cap at the start of the game, lets hear how OP we are for the rest of the games existance.

A sorcs Bats is still laughably cheap aswell, dont see anyone complaning about perma invis streaking sorcs that can heal crazy ammounts of crit surge, dont do the impen argument, its false.
    Dazin93 wrote: »

Well, I would say look at the other classes then because sorc class skills are just as expensive, if not more. As far as resource management goes, I hope you enjoy playing the same ESO that many of us have been playing all along; I don't feel sorry for dk's one bit.

Wrong, wrong wrong wrong. The only skill that is too expensive is Bolt escape. DK´s have been playing the same game for a long time as the other classes, perhaps you aren´t as far ahead as you think in resource managment.
    ^This.

incorrect... but nice try on hyperbole

Then please, correct him! Im curious.
    Edited by themdogesbite on December 20, 2014 3:31AM
    Options
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what was wrong with the way Ultimate is currently generated? Was there an exploit being used to generate it?
    Options
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teargrants wrote: »
    dharbert wrote: »
    I would bet that all of the old ways of generating ultimate in combat will still work. Blocking, dodging, skills that generate ultimate, etc....
    Ahem...
    You will not gain Ultimate by blocking or dodging.
    So, tanks can no longer generate ult w/o say spamming low slash, or committing suicide by light/heavy attacking? What genius thought this up?

It means you'll need to do more than just hold block. It should make tanking more interesting. I think this is good because a lot of tanks have become bored and don't want to do it anymore.

I think this also might fix the whole "block and cast" complaint also.
    Edited by Domander on December 20, 2014 3:50AM
    Options
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what was wrong with the way Ultimate is currently generated? Was there an exploit being used to generate it?
    I'm just guessing here, but people dropping 3-4 ultimates at the same time (duration overlapping) was the problem. It's not very 'ultimate' if you treat it like an ability with a 6 second cooldown. This way, they can more easily control ultimate output, and by extension predict damage, etc for classes. Which'll help with...stuff. Like fights I guess.
    Options
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tonturri wrote: »
    I'm just guessing here, but people dropping 3-4 ultimates at the same time (duration overlapping) was the problem. It's not very 'ultimate' if you treat it like an ability with a 6 second cooldown. This way, they can more easily control ultimate output, and by extension predict damage, etc for classes. Which'll help with...stuff. Like fights I guess.

Stuff like.. making it a numbers game..
    Options
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's already a numbers game? I'm confused as to what you're trying to say.

Options
  • asneakybanana
    asneakybanana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    guys dont worry ZoS is just trying to encourage the zerg. whoever has the most ults now win so its OK. so gone are the days of ever having a succesful 8-12 man again here are the days of running in 60+ man zergs to break the AoE cap. all i can say is GG zos.
    Asneakybanana AD DK Former emperor of Chrysamere and Chillrend. World first hardmode Hel'ra and Quake con winner (Alliance rank 25)
    Asneakyhabenero EP DK Former emperor of Thornblade, Haderus. World first vMA Dk clear (Alliance rank 39)
    Asneakycucumber EP Sorc Former empress of Blackwater Bay and Trueflame (Alliance rank 32)
    Asneakypineapple EP Temp Former empress of Azuras Star and Haderus (Alliance rank 22)
    Asneakypickle EP NB Former empress of Trueflame (Alliance rank 47)
    Sweat Squad
    Crowned 27x on 12 different campaign cycles | 200M+ AP earned
    Fastest AA clear ever: 5:42 | Fastest HRC clear ever: 5:27 | NA first HM MoL
    609k Mag Sorc vMA
    NA first Tick Tock Tormentor
    NA first trinity (All No Death/HM/Speed run trials titles)
    2x Tick Tock Tormentor
    Options
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is infact not, thanks to the current ultimate generation, a small group of good players (2 - 8) can easily take out those zerg blobs that run arround spamming their impulse.
    Options
  • Dazin93
    Dazin93
    ✭✭✭✭

It is infact not, thanks to the current ultimate generation, a small group of good players (2 - 8) can easily take out those zerg blobs that run arround spamming their impulse.

Right......that's why EP regularly pushes DC to their gates on Thorn cause their zerg blob is so ineffective against small groups of good players.

In reality this is going to discourage the blob as the changing of the aoe cap is significant, and will also prevent them massing and just charging ultimates so they can run into a breach or on a flag and just obliterate anything in their path.

Right now, there is not a single negative consequence to running a zerg blob, but there are quite a few benefits. That is about to change and I am looking forward to it.
    Options
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dazin93 wrote: »

Right......that's why EP regularly pushes DC to their gates on Thorn cause their zerg blob is so ineffective against small groups of good players.

In reality this is going to discourage the blob as the changing of the aoe cap is significant, and will also prevent them massing and just charging ultimates so they can run into a breach or on a flag and just obliterate anything in their path.

Right now, there is not a single negative consequence to running a zerg blob, but there are quite a few benefits. That is about to change and I am looking forward to it.

On EU we have 2 - 4 man Whiped EP and DC´s zerg blobs several times. I guess we´re at different places of how to deal with things on the different regions.

Will it really? A small group will attack bigger one, but the bigger group will probably win thanks to having MORE ultimates avaible while the smaller group cannot have more then 1 during the fight. (Think the possibility of 6 ultimates from group A vs the possibility of 15 from group B thanks to numbers) I strongly believe this change will encourage the zerg meta unless the new AvA skills bring something amazing to the table.

Im starting to doubt more and more that the best state the game was in (Just before lightning patch that removed half of EU´s PvP pop) was just a fluke..
    Edited by themdogesbite on December 20, 2014 4:44AM
    Options
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RSram wrote: »

There was absolutely nothing wrong with how the ultimate were working now.
    If there were problems it was that some ultimate were not that useful and there should have been more options in ultimates and in ulti generation besides crits. Skills like ww,low slash,carve,Transfer... were a good start.

The idea that all builds and roles should have the same ultimate generation is ridiculous. A tank should not have the same ultimate generation as DPS and healers since they do not need them as much. (even if at the moment good tanks have no problem poping ultimates fairly often)

Ultimate should also not mean something that you see every half hour and be in awe. Ultimates should be a consistent and somewhat reliable part of ones build and at the moment they are. Hell, they are a consistent and reliable part of group end game play.A skill that is not reliable is ultimately useless.. I am not really interested in playing a game with some arbitrary minute long cool down that only tickx if I do light attacks.Really, what is this freaking obsession with light and heavy attacks? Oh, just bring on the global cool-downs and tab targeting already so we may quit thinking there is a chance this game will get any better.
    Edited by PBpsy on December 20, 2014 4:55AM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
    Options
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PBpsy‌, just curious since we've talked about builds and skill bars before and you really seem to intensely dislike the planned changes to ult gen. Even though you think the system is fine as is, what do you think of some kind of middle ground?

Not that it is up to us, but, would you rather see the something like the multiplier for critical hits be reduced in the ult gen formula/have healers only gain ult for targets that are tagged as "in combat" if it meant avoiding the light/heavy attack flat rate scheme? For what little it may be worth, I think the former would be preferable and could address what some see as an imbalance in a more reasonable way while still rewarding good game play (i.e. blocking, dodging, etc).
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    Options