The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Sneak Attack Damage nerfed on PTS today

• Nala_
    Nala_
    ✭✭✭✭
    MorHawk wrote: »
    ZeroTheCat wrote: »
    Nice straw man, dude. This is not about "insta gibbing". It's about destroying another way of playing the game. You obviously haven't played stamina/medium armor builds since you are having a hard time understanding the effects off this change. I guess we all are supposed to wear dresses and carry sticks to be viable, huh.

Oooh, I love the irony when this happens. Someone makes a straw man seconds after accusing their worthy opponent of one. Don't forget liberal helpings of 'you clearly don't understand the subject' Ad Hominemmy goodness.

On the actual scrap of substance in your post ("This is not about "insta gibbing". It's about destroying another way of playing the game"), those two sentences are not as mutually exclusive as you think. Argue semantics all you want, but your version of 'playing the game" as it currently stands involves doing so much initial damage that the fight is done before the target knows you exist. Stealth is supposed to provide an advantage, not decide the entire fight.

thank you for preventing me from actually having to respond to this
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    Apparently, sweeping changes are more appealing changes to make than fixing bugs that impact strategic character builds and gameplay.
    shebali wrote: »
    The devs in this game should never be able to work on a game again. There is a move that does this. Fix it.
    It never ceases to amaze me how little people understand software development. Not all bugs are easy to find or fix. If a bug has been mentioned multiple times, it is on their list of things to fix, and they have a team working on it. If you don't believe me, check out the patch notes.

C, C++, T-SQL software developer since 1995.

What exactly is the conclusion you are trying to draw with this post?
    Coding is hard, so we should be permissive when sweeping nerfs are made instead of fixing bugs with skills that are already programmed to perform the necessary functions for solving the issue?
    Well, you have my sympathies if you find your job too difficult to perform correctly; however, that does nothing to mitigate my objections that implementing a mass nerf before fixing a bug that would solve the issue itself is not the way to go.

If the patch notes listed this change as something temporary that will be removed once the Radiant Magelight bug is fixed, would not have personally objected.
    Instead, someone apparently went "bugs are hard to find, I'm going to change this other coding instead."
    Edited by Samadhi on October 21, 2014 5:56PM
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • ZeroTheCat
    ZeroTheCat
    ✭✭
    Nice straw man, dude. This is not about "insta gibbing". It's about destroying another way of playing the game. You obviously haven't played stamina/medium armor builds since you are having a hard time understanding the effects off this change. I guess we all are supposed to wear dresses and carry sticks to be viable, huh.

Argue semantics all you want, but your version of 'playing the game" as it currently stands involves doing so much initial damage that the fight is done before the target knows you exist. Stealth is supposed to provide an advantage, not decide the entire fight.

No, playing my version of the game is using medium armor and stamina and using burst to HAVE A CHANCE of killing someone. Like I said. The only way I can end a fight before someone knows you exist is if they are sitting on a horse with their back turned to you. That can anyone do without stealth so that is besides the point here. I will quote a person from another thread:

"..that means Stamina will be borderline useless in PvP since it'll lack the burst damage that distinguished it from other playstyles, while still not having the heals/dmg shields of magicka builds (which will also be better for burst damage after the patch)."

Again, try using stam/medium armor builds for a while in pvp. I dare you. Then we can talk again...
  • Nala_
    Nala_
    ✭✭✭✭
    so much rage in here by corporal nightblades, i approve
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Argue semantics all you want, but your version of 'playing the game" as it currently stands involves doing so much initial damage that the fight is done before the target knows you exist. Stealth is supposed to provide an advantage, not decide the entire fight.

No, playing my version of the game is using medium armor and stamina and using burst to HAVE A CHANCE of killing someone. Like I said. The only way I can end a fight before someone knows you exist is if they are sitting on a horse with their back turned to you. That can anyone do without stealth so that is besides the point here. I will quote a person from another thread:

"..that means Stamina will be borderline useless in PvP since it'll lack the burst damage that distinguished it from other playstyles, while still not having the heals/dmg shields of magicka builds (which will also be better for burst damage after the patch)."

Again, try using stam/medium armor builds for a while in pvp. I dare you. Then we can talk again...

Youtube nightblade pvp videos for the last month, several have been posted here of NBs in medium armor and using stamina builds basically insta gibbing people for the entire video, if you claim you can't do that the problem is with your build.
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, you. ;)
    Orc DK. Attributes in health, enchants in stamina. 5/2 Med/Hvy. Bow/SS. Try again.
    Edited by MorHawk on October 21, 2014 6:55PM
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, you. ;)
    Orc DK. Attributes in health, enchants in stamina. 5/2 Med/Hvy. Bow/SS. Try again.

rekt
  • Saet
    Saet
    ✭✭✭
    Whaddya mean!? Now that this is done that does fix the skill doesn't it? lol Oooh Zeni.
    Saet - stam nb
    Hordak - magicka nb
    Demigorgon - stam sorc
  • ZeroTheCat
    ZeroTheCat
    ✭✭

Oh, you. ;)

omg lol !
    You are a DK! The most OP class in the game ffs. I also have a VR14 DK, he is powerfull whatever I do with him, although I haven't tried medium armor on him yet tbh. Try a NB instead, m8. A whole new experience is awaiting you.
    Edited by ZeroTheCat on October 21, 2014 7:53PM
  • ZeroTheCat
    ZeroTheCat
    ✭✭
    Huntler wrote: »

Youtube nightblade pvp videos for the last month, several have been posted here of NBs in medium armor and using stamina builds basically insta gibbing people for the entire video, if you claim you can't do that the problem is with your build.

link?
  • shebali
    shebali
    ✭✭✭
    Huntler wrote: »

Others said this sneak nerf was a 30% damage nerf... its not. I don't trust what "others have said."

It depends on the target you attack. If the have lower HP then yes it would take up a large amount of damage. If you are attacking a PVE mob with 400k HP no. I think the nerf is a terrible way to fix the problem they have. They have like 4 changes already to fix this damage. Wait and see how that goes, then just lower the snipe damage and not sneak attack damage. Less things to fix down the long road.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Okay everyone, simmer down. We understand that Radiant Magelight isn't working properly - it hasn't been for a while - and we are looking into fixing this as soon as we can.

As a whole, we felt like the burst damage from stealthed attacks were too high, so this won't be changing even when Radiant Magelight gets fixed. But remember, these can and will still crit!

We encourage you to hop on the PTS and try this out before it hits the Live megaservers. We'd love to know what you think and how it feels.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Ifthir_ESO
    Ifthir_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've asked for months for you to fix the numerous things actual PvP'ers have been complaining about literally since launch, and rather than that, you nerf one of the few counters to shield stacking everyone in PvP?

you guys have lost my sub when its up

this is the final straw

Edited by Ifthir_ESO on October 21, 2014 9:25PM
  • shebali
    shebali
    ✭✭✭
    Okay everyone, simmer down. We understand that Radiant Magelight isn't working properly - it hasn't been for a while - and we are looking into fixing this as soon as we can.

As a whole, we felt like the burst damage from stealthed attacks were too high, so this won't be changing even when Radiant Magelight gets fixed. But remember, these can and will still crit!

We encourage you to hop on the PTS and try this out before it hits the Live megaservers. We'd love to know what you think and how it feels.

Gina, I am sorry. But, the move works as others have stated. There is some buggyness around it, so once thats gets fixed that is fine. But, you guys are doing way too much without and real results. You are already adding more HP which helps along with nerfing the amount of damage you can preload which new changes to snipe. Burst damage from stealth is fine which the changes you have made. A few more tweaks without messing up sneak damage is the way to go.

I feel you Team lead and core team don't really look at PVP which some of the changes they come up with.

Blanket fixes are BAD. Tweak the moves. Lower sneak damage on Snipe or remove it and put the base damage higher.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Decimus wrote: »
    Zubba wrote: »
    Magicka based burst NB will suffer. Thats for sure. And was magicka based burst NBs burst the problem? I think not.

Not really... Magicka burst based NBs never relied on stealth that much. Their damage comes from Ambush->Surprise Attack->Soul Harvest/Tether

Only ones suffering from this change are stamina builds... you will no longer be able to burst people in zergs before they get healed, so all those players who liked stealthy gameplay will be driven to the zergballs & they'll have to change their gear so they can dmg shield or heal.

Just what the PvP needed, more zergballs.

im still keeping my medium armor/bow/2Hder...... if I suffer, so be it. but im not changing my build, no matter how many times ZOS tries to get me to. they have been trying to get me to betray my fellow stealthiers for 7 months now, and it wont happen now!:D
  • Tolce
    Tolce
    Christ, I literally have posted on several threads detailing the bug with radiant magelight. Do I need to hold everyone's hand here? I'm all about bringing the gankers stream of tears, so I guess I will.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/136482/radiant-magelight-sneak-attack-damage-reduction-bug#latest

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/136664/radiant-mage-light-needs-to-be-fixed-instead-of-sneak-attack-nerf#latest
  • Braidas
    Braidas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tolce wrote: »
    Christ, I literally have posted on several threads detailing the bug with radiant magelight. Do I need to hold everyone's hand here? I'm all about bringing the gankers stream of tears, so I guess I will.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/136482/radiant-magelight-sneak-attack-damage-reduction-bug#latest

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/136664/radiant-mage-light-needs-to-be-fixed-instead-of-sneak-attack-nerf#latest
    Yes, listen to your friendly neighborhood Zolce: Radiant Magelight does work at rank IV.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well....not really.

• reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but this is a big mistake. I've been a fan for too long, dealing with a dark cloak bugs, and just ineffectiveness of a NB as a PvP'er getting owned by DKs, Sorcs, and Temps...I occasionally could get a Sorc or Temp that was a bit slow to react with ambush and veiled strike, death stroke, impale combo...but I can see DKs and Sorcs kicking butt in Cyrodiil while I just enjoy the challenge.

The vamp nerf I'm fine with, the buffs of the other lines...fine, blazing shield, bolt escape, general DK awesomeness...fine.

But to hit the NBs with a nerf...and stealth damage in a game that already allows everyone to stealth? That's crazy. Who's idea was this? Probably the same guy or gal who came up with enchanters and bonedancers in DAoC.
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oren74 wrote: »

Sorry but this is a big mistake. I've been a fan for too long, dealing with a dark cloak bugs, and just ineffectiveness of a NB as a PvP'er getting owned by DKs, Sorcs, and Temps...I occasionally could get a Sorc or Temp that was a bit slow to react with ambush and veiled strike, death stroke, impale combo...but I can see DKs and Sorcs kicking butt in Cyrodiil while I just enjoy the challenge.

The vamp nerf I'm fine with, the buffs of the other lines...fine, blazing shield, bolt escape, general DK awesomeness...fine.

But to hit the NBs with a nerf...and stealth damage in a game that already allows everyone to stealth? That's crazy. Who's idea was this? Probably the same guy or gal who came up with enchanters and bonedancers in DAoC.

Those two are your go to classes for something that's overpowered?

• GreyPilgrim
    GreyPilgrim
    ✭✭✭
    Magicka based burst NB will suffer. Thats for sure. And was magicka based burst NBs burst the problem? I think not.

Not really... Magicka burst based NBs never relied on stealth that much. Their damage comes from Ambush->Surprise Attack->Soul Harvest/Tether

Only ones suffering from this change are stamina builds... you will no longer be able to burst people in zergs before they get healed, so all those players who liked stealthy gameplay will be driven to the zergballs & they'll have to change their gear so they can dmg shield or heal.

Just what the PvP needed, more zergballs.

I am all magicka build myself. I rely 100% on stealth attack. The damage from ambush and surprise attack comes from stealth.

Well, I should've specified it more clearly I guess.

It doesn't rely on the sneak attack damage bonus (which is what got removed).

Your ambush is just as strong from out of stealth, as it is from stealth itself (unless you are using the Stygian set).

Shadowy Disguise was not affected (you can still use it for extra crit/stun on Surprise Attack), but it does not give you more damage by itself.

Ambush->Surprise Attack->Soul Harvest/Tether will still burst people down.

This is a pretty deceptive statement. Critting does WAY more damage, and attacking from stealth ensures the crit, and hence the full damage. So to say that ambush is the same in or out of stealth is only true if you still manage to crit from out of stealth, which is significantly less likely.

Also, there is a VERY substantial boost to damage from flanking stealth attacks, which also doesn't apply to regular flanking attacks (at least as far as I can tell.)

As with the person above, I have a build that aims to maximize the effectiveness of attacks from stealth, and I will be VERY interested to see if my build is still effective when they reduce the damage. And VERY dissapointed if it isn't.
  • VileIntent
    VileIntent
    ✭✭✭✭
    ... Stealth attacks grant a bonus damage... dark cloak and invisibility do not grant a from stealth crit damage bonus. Also has the bug of not critting from the front of a mob been fixed yet?
    If you have a bow and are at 35 yards, if the mob is facing you and your are hidden. the attack will not crit. I reported that in beta, but since I went magicka never knew if it was fixed.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And VERY dissapointed if it isn't.
    Of course you will, but the question you have to ask is "is this OP right now" and ZOS clearly think it is.

No-one lies losing their OP skills, but OPness is a Bad Thing.

• Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well here's my 2c about this whole debacle...

Damage done from stealth with bow needed a nerf. I don't think it's rational that a weapon which with the right sets and passives can hit you from the safety of 40+ meters, should front load so much damage. If you had the right spec, the Snipe+Light Attack+Venom Arrow combo could wreck a player while not exposing the ganker to any real danger. That's not on. Don't forget Snipe cast is getting hugely reduced too, so some changes were necessary for Bow.

I also don't buy into the whole "if I don't kill with opening attack, I'm dead" story. Especially with the new patch that's about to hit. If the target does not go down with your bow attack, switch to a 2H and enter the fight from the advantage of having dealt huge initial damage.

The nerf to stealth comes at the same time as some good stamina buffs to other weapons, 2H in particular which now hits harder and has a good stamina heal too. Don't be a one dimensional player, expecting to just kill by going through a simple rotation. At the moment a lot of players are complaining that the only way to play stamina is from stealth. I don't think that's necessarily true, but more to the point, I think ZOS want to change this perception. They want stamina fighters to be capable of open combat instead of being pigeon-holed into stealth attacker role.

However in principle, I think melee stealth strikes need to have a higher stealth damage modifier (bonus) than ranged attacks. Both because it has a small similarity to real life, but more importantly in gaming because it rewards players who have better positioning and take higher risks by getting close to their prey.

I think to summarise, in my opinion they should have reduced the stealth damage of ranged attacks and fixed Radiant Magelight first. They should have left it at that for a month or so to assess the impact on the game. Too much change too quickly is not a good idea. If they found gankers were still doing more damage than they should, they should have proceeded to nerf in small increments of 5%, until they decided it was balanced.

Update 1.5 currently has too much change in its PVP Combat Mechanics and that leaves a lot of players twitchy with uncertainty. In any case, less doom and gloom please and more pew-pew to actually assess how these changes affect you. Thanks..
    Edited by Maulkin on October 22, 2014 10:53AM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 hander out of stealth is actually worse, just has more "risk" involved with it so none of the scared little nightblade players want to use it cause it exposes them to harm.

@rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »
    2 hander out of stealth is actually worse, just has more "risk" involved with it so none of the scared little nightblade players want to use it cause it exposes them to harm.

To clarify, you think 2H is worse in open combat in update 1.5 compared to 1.4?
    Edited by Maulkin on October 22, 2014 10:46AM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »

To clarify, you think 2H is worse in open combat in update 1.5 compared to 1.4?

nah i mean it does way more damage than bow, and after 1.5 will have way more utility as well.

but most people will never use it because they want to sit on top of walls and plink plink at people milling around on the ground
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TL;DR of most posts in this thread.

I DON'T LIKE CHANGE! I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ADAPT!

On a more constructive note, as many have said before in the thread, this is needed. The state of stealth attacks and assassinations right now is a little crazy. At release people bullied and beat ZOS into making Nightblades the single ultimate one rotation kill class and then still had the gall to complain Nightblades are too weak.

As someone who plays a Nightblade and doesn't use stealth/assassin/sneak attacks as my main bread and butter I can tell you there are other ways to play them. It's actually more fun to have a fight for your ganks rather then a single rotation win every time. Not that anyone complaining will actually believe that.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • ZeroTheCat
    ZeroTheCat
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    ...As someone who plays a Nightblade and doesn't use stealth/assassin/sneak attacks as my main bread and butter I can tell you there are other ways to play them.

Yeah, we know. With a stick and a dress. Welcome to Elderdresses Online.
  • ZeroTheCat
    ZeroTheCat
    ✭✭
    The nerf to stealth comes at the same time as some good stamina buffs to other weapons, 2H in particular which now hits harder and has a good stamina heal too. Don't be a one dimensional player, expecting to just kill by going through a simple rotation. At the moment a lot of players are complaining that the only way to play stamina is from stealth. I don't think that's necessarily true, but more to the point, I think ZOS want to change this perception. They want stamina fighters to be capable of open combat instead of being pigeon-holed into stealth attacker role.

Do you know what happpens if I switch to 2H and jump into the enemy zerg with medium armor and withouth shild stacking? Do you know what will happen after patch 1.5? Exactly the same thing... No stamina heal in the World is going to save you. The option I have is to stay at range with bow. Now the damage I do with Focused aim, from stealth, from behind, is 9 times of 10 around 200-400 when I attack an enemy zerg. Sometimes less! That´s with soft capped wep damage and stamina. I'm not even kidding! Between shield stacking, buffs, reflective skills and other "unknown" game mechanics my damage is insanely low. Now you want to nerf that 30% more... I don't understand the logic behind this. Especially when there are far worse inbalances in this game!