The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Would you be willing to break lore?

Chryos
Chryos
✭✭✭✭
Since MMOs are a different beast than a single player game, would you be willing to break lore in order to have dragons now in ESO? You can also apply this poll to adding anything cool that you want to see (I.E. Dwemmer playable race)
Edited by Chryos on May 8, 2014 5:41AM
If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.

Would you be willing to break lore? 239 votes

YES!! (i.e. I want Dragons and Dwemmer )
13%
doug73064Sananabdaveben007b14a_ESODarastixMarkethemetalheadb14_ESOflameweaverwOOOOt_of_SDbullerwjb16_ESOAmfijakerwb17_ESOBrother_NumsieChryosdc1509Arreyannemattdworakub17_ESOVeakothsarnoxJosephChipMisty1Kililinjzarrgo 32 votes
No. (Stick to lore)
81%
TwoScaleSkinLauraVanathiGwarokMoonchildeArgonianAssassinKikazaruangharaCelticMarauderSpyfox007_ESOjmmonnat_ESODioraDanielMaxwellmilesrodneymcneely2_ESOSakiriGalenfrwinters_ESOGeeYouWhyEueduinSaint_JiubB14_ESO 194 votes
undecided (comment)
5%
Xnemesisreagen_lionelcubansyrusb16_ESOTheGrandAlliancevyndral13preub18_ESOBloodStormmegowego24Nox_AeternaBBSoonerZatruKarzanaandromedafallsscriberpierceoftheender 13 votes
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, nothing has to be written in stone. It's a fantasy MMO and it is it's own universe.
  • Falmer
    Falmer
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. (Stick to lore)
    Definitely not. I am largely playing this game to absorb more lore. Since the game takes place in the past relative to the games we are already familiar with in the ES universe, then it definitely has to stick to certain guidelines.

The past even in our real world isn't always set in stone. What happened and what was recorded can often be two very different things. However, it can't wildly vary from what we have known.
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    this is gonna make me sad if u guys say no dragons at least :(
  • ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    Chryos wrote: »
    this is gonna make me sad if u guys say no dragons at least :(
    You have... strange system of values... in my opinion.
    Oh, by the way - NO DRAGONS!
    @d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. (Stick to lore)
    No way and no chance. TES are big on their Lore so if you want Dragons and tiger mounts move on.
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Elslayer First, you dont really know what values I hold "Person whom is hidden behind the internet that I can not see" You here to start trouble or something? Maybe I want dragons, got a problem with that? You cant tell me you dont want dragons, thats crazy talk.
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...I love dragons though, and I do want a phantom panther mount. I can certainly ask. Dragons will happen tho, in some form or fashion, mark my words. I doubt this game will go on 10 years without some form of dragon or new playable race happening. I just cant see it not being a possibility. Time will tell.
    Edited by Chryos on May 8, 2014 7:59AM
  • Falmer
    Falmer
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. (Stick to lore)
    Well if you want hope for Dragons, there is to some extent room for it in the existing lore. EOS takes place somewhere around 580 2nd era. We also know that some 250 years later the empire was using a few dragons during the events that took place in RedGuard.

So there is a period of time in the future where the Emperor had a few dragons under his control. Its certainly enough of a loophole to allow the appearance of dragons in EOS.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. (Stick to lore)
    I don't understand this obsession with dragons.

Appear once or twice? Sure, this won't break the lore. Dragon bosses on every corner and dragon mounts? Hell no.
    Edited by Rosveen on May 8, 2014 8:08AM
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I just feel like we could have a bit of a distinction from the single player games vs. ESO. It would open up some new stories and adventures. What if Dwemmer were stuck in Oblivion and somehow got freed or escaped?, Same with dragons. It would have to be well written of course. This could happen way down the line (maybe 5 years or so) Just saying, think of the possibilities. Cant fight the same Daedra over and over and expect not to want something new. Anyway, guess thats what Im trying to see as far as what you guys think.

Something to consider, or not...
    Edited by Chryos on May 8, 2014 8:08AM
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. (Stick to lore)
    Chryos wrote: »
    Hmm...I love dragons though, and I do want a phantom panther mount. I can certainly ask. Dragons will happen tho, in some form or fashion, mark my words. I doubt this game will go on 10 years without some form of dragon or new playable race happening. I just cant see it not being a possibility. Time will tell.

They could easily make an appearance in some form or another, but they will never be a big part of the game. Also 'Dragon' is rather a loose term. I have already fought a sea serpent which is pretty much a dragon of a kind.

The only way you would get what you want is if ESO eclipsed all the other TES games and games that may be. Possible but unlikely and even then they may stay true to lore.

• Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will settle for a Daedra that looks like a dragon and has that "Dragon raid" feel.
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    I don't understand this obsession with dragons.

Appear once or twice? Sure, this won't break the lore. Dragon bosses on every corner and dragon mounts? Hell no.

No, no. Not alot and no dragon mounts. Just a few end game dragons, hidden away like in Oblivion somewheres.

• Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please note: I will be still be happy without, I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks, thats all.
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    No. (Stick to lore)
    :# /Madface on.
    Would you be willing to break lore?

Dragons? Lore? How about you tell us how you really feel...
    :s */Sarcasm on*
    ...lemme guess you want to play with cute and cuddly Pandas, am i rite??
    */Sarcasm off* >:)
    but decided to use dragons as a "colourful metaphore" to justify a "lore breaking argument"?
    THE GAME IS A FRIGGIN MONTH OLD!!!
    US vs THEM!!!
    /Madface (still) on. :#

Edited by Gwarok on May 8, 2014 8:41AM
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    undecided (comment)
    Hum ... a hard choice and a very open one also.

If we close it down to dragons alone or the race.

Then yeah , i would have no problem seeing dragons around , just like i would have no problem with what race other players decide to play.

I already think half the forum is crazy because they have an issue with the fact others are playing too many vampires :P. Yeap , good and old people trying to tell others how to play.

But there are other lore changes that would annoy me greatly.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on May 8, 2014 8:31AM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. (Stick to lore)
    Oh, by all means, let's break with lore, historical context, and long-standing ES themes.

I want to FLY around on a big-eyed pink dragon -- one with puce spots and long purple eyelashes -- and I want to clothe all my characters in the skimpiest string bikini armor. To hell with anything that makes the ESO game world remotely unique.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No. (Stick to lore)
    Hell, no.

There are too many lore breaking things already, let's keep dragons and Dwemer out, we really don't need them.
    I'm already rather annoyed by often having to do quests for "good" vampires during the area stories (Rivenspire in DC for example, Eastmarch in EP). Skipping those quests isn't an option, as they are part of the storyline quests for the area and skipping would prevent the later parts (not to mention the masses of PC vampires, I guess there are just too many Twilight fans about...).
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Runefell
      Runefell
      ✭✭✭✭
      No. (Stick to lore)
      Paarthurnax should still be out there, shouldn't he? It would be awesome if we could see a slightly younger version of him. Otherwise, as much as I love and adore dragons, they don't fit with the lore here at the moment, and thus shouldn't appear.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, there's also one dwemer still alive at this point, either wandering about looking for his people, or sick with Corprus and in the Telvanni Lord Fyr's care.
      Edited by Runefell on May 8, 2014 11:43AM
      Rune Fell- Dunmer Mag Sorcerer (DC)~The Adventurer
      Runed Claws- Khajiit Stam Dragonknight (DC) ~The Tank
      Rain Fell- Argonian Mag Templar (EP)~ The Healer
      Dragon Talon- Bosmer Stam Nightblade (AD) ~ The DPS

• AVCN
      AVCN
      ✭✭
      No. (Stick to lore)
      No. Unless, of course its done in lorewise ways, which I suppose most of the "yes" folks would not like. This means NO rideable dragons. Remember that even at "Dragonborn" only the Dovahkiin could ride dragons. We know a few may be around at ESO's time. They should NOT be any ordinary boss but ultimate powerhouses capable of wiping out cities and armies. In terms of power, the closest thing we have currently in game would be those vamp DK exploiters and remember - the dragons can't actually be killed , but only put to "sleep" to be later awakened by Aldouin. So, this brings a number of severe limitations for a dragon encounter. I can only imagine it as some sort of ultimate PvE challenge. A one of a kind.

Dwemer and Snow Elves should NOT be present as playable races, but I can imagine a certain Dwemer as a quest giver. That would be a cool easter egg and lorewise too. Two Snow Elves could be available too, but the "WOW, COOL!" impact factor, at least for me, would not be as great. Remember also they should be at specific locations.
      Edited by AVCN on May 8, 2014 12:41PM
    • bloodenragedb14_ESO
      bloodenragedb14_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No. (Stick to lore)
      no, why would you want a dragon, we have daedric titans, they are our dragons for this installment.
    • Ezrith
      Ezrith
      ✭✭✭
      No. (Stick to lore)
      Tired to see dragons in every single fantasy mmorpg out there (feels like that anyway). I'm actually happy we are in a time period they are but legends in Tamriel, so stick to the lore please.
    • Chryos
      Chryos
      ✭✭✭✭
      I personally never mentioned riding a dragon, so not sure where that comes from, I wouldnt mind a different type of animal to ride as a mount. We have an old fantasy universe, but yet it full of vanilla modern horses. To me horses dont really even fit. So I figure, why not have access to wolves or sabre cats then?

Well, you guys bring up good points for sure. Like I said I ask this question because of future content. Perhaps the developers want to know how flexible we are? We have to think about the future of ESO too now. Is it going to be literally the same game for the next ten years? If nothing new is added how is that going to keep people playing?

Exactly how much are we going to limit this game's potential or creativity?
    • AVCN
      AVCN
      ✭✭
      No. (Stick to lore)
      Observing lore is not equal to restricting creativity and potential.

Horses are present in TES, so, they fit. Yes, there should be more diversity in their colors and color patterns plus the option for armored horses.

TES lore has other mounts than horses; there's no need, IMHO, to look outside its lore. Guars come to mind, for example.

This put, I want to ride a wamasu with armor. One which will join my fights and battles in open areas, and when I exit a dungeon, I want to find it looking at me with large teary "I-missed-you" eyes while chewing a bot's femur. If this is not possible, I want to ride Twilight Sparkle. Yep. Ride AND ride, she's got that rounded rear side that... Its a fantasy mmorpg... What? Its not about that type of fantasy?
    • Axer
      Axer
      ✭✭✭✭
      I don't think they have to break the lore to do that.

In DDO they added a whole nother campaign and sort of explained it thru the story line:
      A demi god oppened up a space-time rift.

They could do the same:
      You do some quest and Akatosh the dragon god of time sends you a 1000 years into the past to the time when the Dwemer ruled.
      Or
      Into the future, during the time of the dragonborn.

No need to break lore.
      Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
    • NordJitsu
      NordJitsu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Preserving lore is the most important thing for Immersion. Breaking the lore breaks suspension of disbelief because by defying the rules of the second world, you make it no longer believable.

That said, Dragons can be in ESO.

And it doesn't break lore in any way shape or form.

Read this Skyrim Book: Atlas of Dragons

There were Dragons around in the Second Era. Just not many of them.
      @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
      GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
    • Chryos
      Chryos
      ✭✭✭✭
      @Axer See Axer has a good idea.

and.. there is nothing cool or desirable, for me, about having a Guar mount. Everyone wants to keep the lore as law, which is fine.

However no one is going to play the same ole tired game for 10 years without something new and different. It happens to all MMOs.

You guys ought to know this by now, so we might as well start hashing it out now so the Dev's can start thinking about it now.
      Edited by Chryos on May 8, 2014 3:26PM
    • Chryos
      Chryos
      ✭✭✭✭
      OK, my next topic I bring up for discussion is this....

Since we are starting this MMO way in the past of the current games:

How long do you think in real time would it take to catch up to, let's say..Skyrim?

Do you think maybe that this could have been they're plan?; to progress the story in a way that the future time periods could happen? Do you think in 10 years of real time that we would be caught up to the current times in Skyrim?

And, is that something you would want to happen as a natural flow of the overall story?
    • isengrimb16_ESO
      isengrimb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No. (Stick to lore)
      Speaking of lore and dragons, did they remember to put the dragon burial mounds in Skyrim areas? They should be there.
    • isengrimb16_ESO
      isengrimb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No. (Stick to lore)
      As for the time period, in a few hundred years of fighting, Tamriel will pick up the nickname Arena; that's the game you have to worry about ESO bumping into - but Arena is .. how many hundreds of years in the future? A couple thousand?
      -