The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why ESO did not turn out to be what people wanted.

• Singular
    Singular
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »
    Zeni cannot win here, If they make it too MMO in style, they will be going back on their word and will be alienating many more players that came here because of the ES tag.

If they don't change it up then they will get the MMO players complaining that it isn't like other MMO's.

I don't think so. I think that's the easy, obvious criticism. One simple solution to making it both a good MMO and solo player game would have been scaling and a better lfm tool. Scaling such that quests become interesting for groups - not too hard, but not as easy as they are (for groups - they're perfectly fine for solo atm).

And, what most people here seem to be arguing for, and I agree completely, is for a more open, sandbox style world. That would have perfectly fit previous elder scrolls games - if our actions permanently changed the landscape, if we can actually affect the world, if it wasn't so linear and less theme-park, it would be an amazing game.
    War, give me war, give me war.
  • Singular
    Singular
    ✭✭✭✭
    loco wrote: »
    If Zeni had just made an open world game with defocused questing progression they would have made a game about 100 times better. They should have never tried to make this PvP side to it with split factions either. He'll they could have put a colosseum in for PvP.

I disagree with you on the pvp - it's awesome as it is and engaging. The three realms idea was a great move on their part.
    Instead it's a rail road themepark where you go from area to area till you make it to the end then go through the other factions area by area. I'm still pissed at the lazy reuse of assets, level 50 mud crabs????

Totally agree!!! Absolutely. Why are we seeing massively powered mud crabs - and wolves and other lowbie stuff in high level content??? Did the crabs level with me? Are they on some secret quest to save the mud crab world?
    If they had just done one huge open world with cities you wanted to visit for some reason other than it's in your leveling range, it would have been an awesome game. Throw in some GM ran assaults and sieges on towns and it would have been even better.

Assaults and sieges are neat - and they are in pvp! But, yes, it would be cool for an army of AI to attack a town and require mobs of players to defend it. Very, very cool. Or, if the opposing countries had, say, a window of invasion three times a month or so, where the players could get together and attack some major city - and we could do the same to them.

Or have Cryodil actually on the map, with invading armies able to get into other areas, but facing increasingly powerful AI resistance from defenders.
    They could have also added depth to the game and skills more in line with the single player games, with interesting spells, actual warriors, ect ect.

The game is just boring.

It does feel dull pretty fast if you're just grinding quests over and over. Right there with you. Each quest seems a bit too easy - just run over here, do this thing, run back, here's your reward and, oh by the way, here's a link to another quest in this hub. Yup, follow the arrow and go over there, talk to that npc, etc.
    War, give me war, give me war.
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭

This is to the Devs of the game that tried so hard to do this right, but in the end for many fans, ruined the very essence of what the Elder Scrolls series as a multiplayer game should've been. THIS IS NOT AN INSULT! This is a conversation i find highly true between a friend, me, and many others. Please feel free to move this to the proper forum section if need be.

Friend: in the golden days of gaming, money and hardware limitations made developers be creative to get around those limitations
    Me: ESO tried to make that work, and it failed horribly for me
    Friend: and make things unique and interesting
    Friend: but now its just "lets make it generic as *** and cheap as possible"
    Friend: eso woulda been good if they didnt force all the *** mmo elements into it
    Me: THATS THE THING
    Me: THEY TRIED MAKING AN MMO
    Friend: if they kept it elder scrolls plus multiplayer it woulda been good
    Me: exaaaaaactly
    Friend: MMO just means multiplayer with a bunch of people
    Friend: it doesnt mean you have to make it like EQ/ WoW
    Friend: thats what nobody understands

Please don't take this as an insult, as this is clearly not one, but a solid statement that has yet to be proven incorrect.

Your title is missing the word "some", as in "what SOME people wanted". This was never meant to be a multiplayer version of and TES game. It was always meant to be an MMO and was intended to play like an MMO. And guess what, many people prefer that it plays like an MMO. I can appreciate that you don't, but you don't speak for everyone. There a reasons why certain elements keep turning up in MMO's...because MMO players like them.

If you want a multiplayer TES game, encourage Bethesda to make the TES games multiplayer. That kind of gameplay, in my opinion, would not make for a good MMO, but it would be good for a few friends to run around in.

• d0e1ow
    d0e1ow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »
    Zeni cannot win here, If they make it too MMO in style, they will be going back on their word and will be alienating many more players that came here because of the ES tag.

If they don't change it up then they will get the MMO players complaining that it isn't like other MMO's.

Personal the latter is of less importance I think. Taking into how successful the ES games have been, especially Skyrim, I think it is more important for Zeni to keep the fans of the series happy.

Judging by what I read here in the forums, I think the majority of complainers are not original ES fans, but rather MMO'ers from other games and make up the minority of the player base.

Because from what i see in game is that people are rarely complaining about anything other than bots and spam... As the saying goes, 'proof is in the pudding'

So someone cannot be both an MMO fan and an Elder Scrolls fan? Your point is moot and irrational, because ESO IS an MMO. It's not a single player game and it never will be. It's an MMO.

Therefore, it follows, that they have to design it like a good MMO. In my opinion, they did not. It has nothing to do with me "being a real Elder Scrolls" fan or not. It has everything to do with the fact that the game is an MMO. It could be a Barney MMO and it would still be a bad MMO. What universe the game is set in and whether or not the other games are single player has nothing to do with it. Not one iota. And, for the record, my issue with the game isn't that it's not like other MMO's... it's that it's TOO MUCH like other MMO's. It adds absolutely nothing of value to the genre at all. Read my OP, but if you're not a "REAL MMO FAN" I guess you wouldn't know that. (lol?)

Warcraft games were real time strategy before WoW. Did they tailor WoW to that fanbase or to that genre? No. Because WoW is an MMO.
    "Her mystery was as essential to her as savagery was to Boethiah or treachery was to Molag Bal. To understand Nocturnal is to negate her, to pull back the curtains cloaking her realm of darkness." - Sigillah Parate "Invocation of Azura"

• Genomic
    Genomic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried to love the game, but I just can't. I'm logging on less and less, and when I do log on my enjoyment levels are decreasing as well. I've crafted, PvP'd, dungeon crawled, explored and quested. On paper all this looks good, the world looks amazing. But the actual game experience just feel hollow and the environments, quests, PvP, etc just seems increasingly bland. It feels like I'm making out with a really hot mannequin. :smile:

I wish it was just me that felt this way. As an Elder Scrolls fanboi, I wish the best for ESO, even if it wan't the game for me. I love the Elder Scrolls series and I love MMO's. But as much as I want to jump in and defend the game (and props to those of you who are: keep fighting the good fight... for what it's worth) I have a distinct sinking feeling about the future success of ESO. The OP's opinion may be disparaged, and he certainly could have worded it better, but I fear he may be right, or rather, that his views are and will be shared by an overwhelmingly large proportion of players. And by overwhelmingly, I mean in terms of the future viability of the game.

I know it's early days yet, and with every patch more and more can and will be done to improve the game. I'll certainly keep my sub for a few months and hope for the best. But still that sinking feeling remains....
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TicToc wrote: »

This is to the Devs of the game that tried so hard to do this right, but in the end for many fans, ruined the very essence of what the Elder Scrolls series as a multiplayer game should've been. THIS IS NOT AN INSULT! This is a conversation i find highly true between a friend, me, and many others. Please feel free to move this to the proper forum section if need be.

Friend: in the golden days of gaming, money and hardware limitations made developers be creative to get around those limitations
    Friend: eso woulda been good if they didnt force all the *** mmo elements into it

Please don't take this as an insult, as this is clearly not one, but a solid statement that has yet to be proven incorrect.

Your title is missing the word "some", as in "what SOME people wanted". This was never meant to be a multiplayer version of and TES game. It was always meant to be an MMO and was intended to play like an MMO. And guess what, many people prefer that it plays like an MMO. I can appreciate that you don't, but you don't speak for everyone. There a reasons why certain elements keep turning up in MMO's...because MMO players like them.

If you want a multiplayer TES game, encourage Bethesda to make the TES games multiplayer. That kind of gameplay, in my opinion, would not make for a good MMO, but it would be good for a few friends to run around in.

it would be very hard to make skyrim multiplayer because how the game works, add that betesda is busy so eso is made by zos.

But yes if you don't like MMO you will not like eso.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genomic wrote: »
    I've tried to love the game, but I just can't. I'm logging on less and less, and when I do log on my enjoyment levels are decreasing as well. I've crafted, PvP'd, dungeon crawled, explored and quested. On paper all this looks good, the world looks amazing. But the actual game experience just feel hollow and the environments, quests, PvP, etc just seems increasingly bland. It feels like I'm making out with a really hot mannequin. :smile:

I wish it was just me that felt this way. As an Elder Scrolls fanboi, I wish the best for ESO, even if it wan't the game for me. I love the Elder Scrolls series and I love MMO's. But as much as I want to jump in and defend the game (and props to those of you who are: keep fighting the good fight... for what it's worth) I have a distinct sinking feeling about the future success of ESO. The OP's opinion may be disparaged, and he certainly could have worded it better, but I fear he may be right, or rather, that his views are and will be shared by an overwhelmingly large proportion of players. And by overwhelmingly, I mean in terms of the future viability of the game.

I know it's early days yet, and with every patch more and more can and will be done to improve the game. I'll certainly keep my sub for a few months and hope for the best. But still that sinking feeling remains....
    Might be that you have played to much, yes it can happen before finish a game.

How many hours has you played.

I got bored of Fallout New Vegas, good game however I did it just after Fallout 3 GOTY so I was already a bit bored of Fallout and more content did not help.
    Edited by zaria on April 28, 2014 7:41AM
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Creepsley
    Creepsley
    ✭✭✭
    generally i think this failed for mostly only those that never have played a MMO,
    and to argue against your
    "Friend: MMO just means multiplayer with a bunch of people" not exactly true there, MMO means "Massively multiplayer online"
    he missed the MASSIVELY part :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game
  • Arundo
    Arundo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give it time, non of the MMO's out there were spot on when they were released. MMO's take time to grow and flourish. Eventually thing will smooth out and become better.
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

it would be very hard to make skyrim multiplayer because how the game works, add that betesda is busy so eso is made by zos.

But would it be that hard, have a drop in system, so say you choose to leave your game "open" when you are playing any random person (upto say 12 at a time) can drop into your game.

Make it so you can set the game to private or invite only and you can invite upto 12 friends into your game.

Have caves and runs etc scale to how many people enter.

There you go elder scrolls with online multiplayer.

Or you could go the hub route and make every inn like a lobby to group up with other people.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    R1ckyDaMan wrote: »

But would it be that hard, have a drop in system, so say you choose to leave your game "open" when you are playing any random person (upto say 12 at a time) can drop into your game.

Make it so you can set the game to private or invite only and you can invite upto 12 friends into your game.

Have caves and runs etc scale to how many people enter.

There you go elder scrolls with online multiplayer.

Or you could go the hub route and make every inn like a lobby to group up with other people.
    How do you deal with quests, how about unique items, can the guests enter you house and clear out your inventory?
    Balance, game is level scaled for one player, hard to scale from 1 level 1 to 12 level 50, ESO does not do this either.

Is it any games who does this well and is not MMO?

Yes Skyrim online sounds cool but it would be very hard to do right.
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    GW1 does instanced group content that can be played alone perfectly fine,
    Houses have keys only the guy whos instance it is has, and its about joining your griends so what I meant was the difficulty of dungeons etc would scale with size of group and not levels,

If it was that bad just make it scale to the average level of the entire group...

Just dismissing something as too difficult is wrong and lazy tbh imo
  • badstar4
    badstar4
    I understand peoples hate but i like the game so far and i hate the idea of a plain singleplayer es game with multiplayer because none of my friends play the series so i wouldn't get to play multiplayer.

As a massive mmo fan and a player of WoW for a long time this is easily better and im glad to be playing eso.
    I don't always play ESO but when i do i cry about lag.
  • Pretext
    Pretext
    ✭✭
    So I presume that OP will be gone in a few days. Bye! :disappointed:

P.S. your stuff etc, much appreciated.
    Edited by Pretext on April 28, 2014 10:23AM
  • badstar4
    badstar4
    I must say my points for liking ESO come down to the quests the voice acting the immersion and gameplay.

I preffer Eso over oblivion morrowind and skyrim anyday.

I feel Rpg's need some sort of limits and rules but not to many i feel eso is on there way to making it right on the nail.

Also the game does not lag at all compared to 99% of other mmo's.

The themepark comments to me seem rather stupid just because there is a tutorial and rules the game makes you abide by it's not an elder scrolls game?.

Guess you and me have different opinions then i think this is the best game in the series so far apart from the bugs and broken gameplay but i expected all this as a long time player of mmo's.

I and alot of other people i have talked to love ESO and are happy with it.
    I don't always play ESO but when i do i cry about lag.
  • Creepsley
    Creepsley
    ✭✭✭
    as long as you dont talk about the voice acting for that tree guy Briar something in Grahtwood, hes voicea cting is the worst, and it seems hes doing alot of voices, almost makes me even more sure hes just a placeholder guy hehe
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GW1 does instanced group content that can be played alone perfectly fine,
    Houses have keys only the guy whos instance it is has, and its about joining your griends so what I meant was the difficulty of dungeons etc would scale with size of group and not levels,

If it was that bad just make it scale to the average level of the entire group...

Just dismissing something as too difficult is wrong and lazy tbh imo
    GW1 is an MMO the same way ESO is.

And yes I want an sports car with three ton cargo capacity, this is around as hard as to make decent multiplayer in Skyrim without scarifying the single player experience. Might be possible but would probably fail and more important it would not increase sales much even if it worked.

And yes you could not have mods or they would need to be synchronized.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunhilda wrote: »
    Gohlar wrote: »

ESO is a linear, restricted theme park.

Other elder scrolls games aren't.

Man, you must have hated Morrowind.
    Your comment is rubbish
    Actually, his comment is very apt, for all its superficial 'freedom to explore', Morrowind's questing was very linear.

• KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's very little similarity at all.

• marty83
    marty83
    ✭✭
    badstar4 wrote: »
    I understand peoples hate but i like the game so far and i hate the idea of a plain singleplayer es game with multiplayer because none of my friends play the series so i wouldn't get to play multiplayer.

As a massive mmo fan and a player of WoW for a long time this is easily better and im glad to be playing eso.

The only way a game like Skyrim or the entireES series (excluding eso) will work as a multiplayer is to make it coop. Similar to borderland, of course unlike borderlands it would not be loot focused but instead quest and exploration focused. This kind of multiplayer should be left for ES 6 to figure out not for a mmo like eso to try to do. I personally love the game and think it has the potential to be one of the best mmos I've ever played. If they fix some stuff and tweak the current features, and add good content regularly this game will be amazing
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    Dunhilda wrote: »
    Gohlar wrote: »

ESO is a linear, restricted theme park.

Other elder scrolls games aren't.

Man, you must have hated Morrowind.
    Your comment is rubbish
    Actually, his comment is very apt, for all its superficial 'freedom to explore', Morrowind's questing was very linear.
    This, as ESO is not level scaled as Morrowind was exploring high level content is hard.

Morrowind had one level of freedom while questing, the lower tires of guild quests for mage and fighter guilds was optional for each guild hall. You could do the chains in any order and you did not have to do all off them.
    This made it possible to sleepwalk past the fighter guild versus thief guild conflict in Balmora simply by doing quests for the other guild houses.

Outside of this you have more choices during quests in ESO.
  • bugulu
    bugulu
    ✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    Personally i like the mmo side its why i bought the game, i expected Elder Scrolls online....

What i didn't expect was...
    • bugs
    • broken gameplay
    • dungeons being finished by other players
    • Quests being finished by other players
    • gold farmers and bots ruining the game
    • Chest rewards not being segregated
    • no bag space
    • no bank space
    • hardly any loot
    • terrible community
    • horrible service
    • horrible forums
    • maintenance twice a week forcing me to play other games while i'm paying a subscription...
    meh in two months i'll walk away much wiser, never again touch a Zenimax product no matter the title..

1. A MMO launch is littered with bugs, expecting something else is bit naive.
    2. Can you clarify what broken gameplay is? I have seen several others complaining about broken gameplay but never developed what it actually means.
    3. Are you talking about players killing the mobs for you and also them killing the boss before you get there? It's an MMO and majority of the dungeons are open, hence other people will be there.
    4. I don't see this as a problem seeing as there's very few quests that are actually finished by other players and you not need to do anything to complete it.
    5. The gold farmers is an issue and pretty much blocks you to get a specific dungeon boss loot but there really isn't an easy fix for this. Blame the gold buyers and not Zenimax.
    6. Chest loot is adressed in the next PTS patch and will soon come live.
    7. There's plenty of bag and bank space. It's your own choice for trying to pick more than two professions and hoarding everything. I am leveling all professions with my character and I have constantly 10-15 free slots left after upgrading the bank space.
    8. Same as above.
    9. I don't even know what this means. Does the mobs not drop enough loot? Are the dungeon bosses getting killed before you can damage it so you don't get the loot?
    10. What's so terrible with the ESO community? I have found majority of the players friendly and not stealing your resources when you are fighting the mob guarding it.
    11. I have found the service to be sub-par...not horrible but not good either. I do understand they have plenty of things to do since the game just launched but it does lower the overall score.
    12. The forums here is a joke, that I agree with you.
    13. I have no idea where you live but I find the maintenance here in Europe is perfect.

My overall expections of this game is in my opinion fullfilled.
    I have had several quests that bugged out which I have been able to complete returning an hour later.
    I had a gamebreaking bug which ended with my character not being able to attack, mount, crouch etc. and it took almost a day before the support responded to my ticket which made me bit dissapointed.

I've had tons of fun in this game and I love the quests, I don't find them repetetive and the lack of "Kill x amount of this creature" is refreshing. The dialogue you have with the NPC:s and the reasoning why you need to do this specific quest for them is good.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With similar I say similar genre.
    Has not played played GW1 except some hours of an demo so I don't know how its more like Skyrim than ESO but I'm very skeptical to that.
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has not played played GW1 except some hours of an demo so I don't know how its more like Skyrim than ESO but I'm very skeptical to that.

GW1 was not an mmo but an online multiplayer game, once you left the hub you was either with your group or on your own free to explore the world...

It was not quite open world as typical ES games are, portals seperated zones but this is kind of in place now with es games anyway with the small load when you enter a new area.

For the record I am enjoying ESO for what it is, just wish Bethesda would make an ES game with online features.

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

GW1 was not an mmo but an online multiplayer game, once you left the hub you was either with your group or on your own free to explore the world...

It was not quite open world as typical ES games are, portals seperated zones but this is kind of in place now with es games anyway with the small load when you enter a new area.

For the record I am enjoying ESO for what it is, just wish Bethesda would make an ES game with online features.
    Now I understand, you was actually on your own or in group in the world?
    still it would require that they removed lots of the TES features as moding, and I guess it felt more like an MMO than Skyrim did.
    Still it might have been an option for ESO, at least for the quests.

Loading then entering cities in Oblivion and Skyrim was done because of console limitations. ESO uses loading to manage shards and megaserver.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only time you saw other players was in towns or other 'safe' areas, this is where you 'group up' and enter the 'world' which is in fact entirely instanced, you only see your fellow group members and/or henchmen 'out there'.

GW1 was described as a giant 'lobby' for a private instanced game.

Edited by KerinKor on April 28, 2014 11:43AM
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭

still it would require that they removed lots of the TES features as moding, and I guess it felt more like an MMO than Skyrim did.
    Still it might have been an option for ESO, at least for the quests.

Loading then entering cities in Oblivion and Skyrim was done because of console limitations. ESO uses loading to manage shards and megaserver.

Modding would be allowed, you would just get a message saying you require X addon to join X persons world etc.

Also it would have alot more TES features than an mmo ever could, less load, less going in player wise, pickpocketing would be ok, killing npc would be ok, infact I can not think of a single elder scroll feature that would not be ok... The world is the group leaders world, all what they have done in their world will be like that for any other players that join him.

Like I said just a wish, a dream, maybe one day :)
    Edited by R1ckyDaMan on April 28, 2014 11:51AM
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only time you saw other players was in towns or other 'safe' areas, this is where you 'group up' and enter the 'world' which is in fact entirely instanced, you only see your fellow group members and/or henchmen 'out there'.

GW1 was described as a giant 'lobby' for a private instanced game.

And yet it had far superior group play in PvE.

Zenimax doesn't know how to make a decent multiplayer game, it's that simple. No idea why they even bothered making an mmo where all they want you to do endless solo quests.

Probably the laziest design to come out in a long time.

• Dolenz
    Dolenz
    ✭✭✭
    "Why ESO did not turn out to be what people wanted?"

Because people had unrealistic expectations that had no basis in reality.

Because people bought the game without doing any homework or research first.

Because every person thinks they know what makes a perfect game, never realizing that their opinion of a perfect game is not everyone elses.

The list could go on.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dolenz wrote: »
    "Why ESO did not turn out to be what people wanted?"

Because people had unrealistic expectations that had no basis in reality.

Because people bought the game without doing any homework or research first.

Because every person thinks they know what makes a perfect game, never realizing that their opinion of a perfect game is not everyone elses.

The list could go on.

Or, stay with me now, it's a mediocre game. There is a long list of reasons as to why I say this. I could repeat them, but they are all over the forum/reviews/internet already. It's a very weak mmo and a dull single player game. Only beginners will be entertained by this and even then not for very long.

Pretend otherwise all day, it's still true. The game's life cycle will reflect this, wait and see.

Edited by Gohlar on April 28, 2014 12:35PM