The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Redguard and Orc new armors

• Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banal is such a perfect word to use to describe some of the changes.

In a genre that constantly screams out for options to make our character individual and stand out in a sea of others, why on earth would a development company move in the opposite direction, and remove some of the uniqueness that was already in-game? It is quite simply a horrendous change. The original redguard light armour not only looked great, it fit the lore of the race almost perfectly. Such an utterly perplexing change...

The only thing the redguard light armour required in terms of an update was to fix the epaulets so that they actually sat on our character's shoulders as opposed to floating in the air above them like they do on live at the moment.

At the very least ZOS - as has been said by myself and others - please release these new armours into the game as a separate mofits. Don't discard the new mofit, & don't remove the old ones, you've designed and developed them both. Leave them both in-game so that we have a choice, so we can enjoy and play the game in the style we like.

If you can be anything, be kind.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    please release these new armours into the game as a separate mofits. Don't discard the new mofit, & don't remove the old ones, you've designed and developed them both. Leave them both in-game so that we have a choice, so we can enjoy and play the game in the style we like.

Yes, yes, yes !!! Pretty please. And also let me use the "look" of lower level stuff when crafting my higher level stuff. When my badass orc tank when from 14th to 16th he went from "Mad Max" to looking like he'd gotten a makover from a drag queen. Yes it was "prettier". He wasn't looking for pretty.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jessica have said during the last Elder Scrolls Off The record that there will be be a blog post explaining why they are changing the armor!

I'm still very sad about it, as I really really enjoyed more the old model for the Redguard light and medium armor. I've my Redgard character copied on PTS and I can really see the difference. While the texture of the new armor are simply amazing, the model and the style is banal and blant nstead of being amazing, different and so exotic!

I've creafted my live character a set of Redguard Light armor that I'm wearing till it last!
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's do a direct comparison of the Old and New Redguard female Light Armor.

Here's Rohssan at-Bergama, my Level 5 (!) Redguard on the Live server. She is absolutely gorgeous, and her clothing shows off her body.
    fAwgn.jpg
    While the texture is reminiscent of a velour tracksuit, a fabric which I'm not sure would exist in Tamriel, the shape of the garments are fantastic. The curves of her top draw the eye to the curves of her breasts and belly, and her belly button peeps out tantalisingly, making her outfit far more sexy than a much more revealing garment would be.

I am not a fan of the "bandage"-like socks, neither on Redguard nor on any of the other Light Armors that feature this odd wrapping texture. What are we supposed to think, that our characters spend hours wrapping up their arms and legs before battle? In a world that hasn't invented safety pins yet? Oh dear. But I do like the sandals, which are highly appropriate for Alik'r Desert climate

Now let's look at my unnamed template character over on the PTS. She's an Imperial, so lighter-skinned, but otherwise the same shape as Rohssan. (Most sliders as far to the right as they go). And oh my gods, the difference!
    fAwg1.jpg
    The gorgeous sexy clothing on the Live server is replaced with far stiffer, starchier garments which cannot be mistaken for anything other than armour. Is it my imagination, or does the breastplate look like a Transformers logo? Not a scrap of flesh is on view - which is more practical for armour, but really quite disappointing for those of us who admire the female form.

The fabric is now silk, which is more appropriate to Tamriel. Though now I'm looking at the socks and wondering how they stay up in a world without elastic. (It must be magic, there's no other explanation). The new textures are clearly much higher quality, but the armour itself is so depressing to look at that I can hardly appreciate it.

And what in Oblivion does she have on her feet? Tennis shoes?! Sneakers? The texture's all wrong for velvet slippers. What on earth was wrong with the practical desert sandals?

Honestly. This is awful. All of the lovely cultural references are gone. There is nothing about this armour which says it belongs to the Redguard race. Nor is it at all feminine.

I should comment on all the other levels of Redguard female armour and male armour and the Orc female and male armours, but I am frankly too disappointed to want to look right now.
    Edited by baratron on February 7, 2015 11:47AM
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one that thinks this looks like diapers? That was what I hated about redguard heavy armor all along.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree entirely that the new Redguard Light Armor is pretty fugly and loses out on it's racial feel, reminding me more of an alternate reality where a Blacks-plotation directer made the armor design so it was a blatant rip off of old world fantasy with a slight Egyptian twist to it but failed miserably, and the more I look at it the more angrier I get.

It makes me even more mad because the Medium Armor and Heavy Armor for Redguard looks freaking fantastic, fitting the lore of what they are and where they fight (deserts, conquerors, light on their feet fighters and duelists).

The Medium Armor looks like something either a bandit or assassin would wear, or even a simple town guard. It fits a semi arabic and black theme very well and doesn't look tacky. (You're kidding yourselves if you sit here and with a bold, straight face tell me that Redguards aren't supposed to be Muslims, Blacks, and Arabs.)

The Heavy Armor befits a high class Redguard warrior; A man who is light on his feet but values having more protection. The pants are leathery/full leather with brigadine like plating/studding to it, as to protect a minimal level but provide maximum movement, leaving the most vital areas to gain the heavy plating. That said, something has to keep that heavy armor together, thus the leather pieces you see here and there, because you gotta lay that metal on top of something, and using leather as a buffer helps for that.

Also the flap should be leather and not metal. What metal do you know that's flexible and acts as a flap that isn't foil and doesn't shred like paper?

And again, the Orc armors, all of them, perfect in their new form as their original was easily the ugliest around.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    baratron wrote: »
    fAwg1.jpg
    This is the ugliest thing since pink Argonian armor.

But something I'm curious about. low level heavy Bosmer armor is just as revealing as old light Redguard. I probably shouldn't give ZOS any ideas in case they decide to destroy that one too, but I have to wonder why uncovered stomach in clothing is being removed, while the same thing in armor stays.

Just in case: if you read it, ZOS, don't change Bosmer heavy. :)
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I can't seem to get a response about the heavy armor pants now looking like leather, and if they're going through the trouble of writing a blog post about this change, then I assume everything is intended.

I wanted to give ESO a shot again even after finding out that there would be no new content for a really long time. I remember playing RIFT for a while with nothing to do solely because they implemented an armor dye system (on top of their appearance tab system) and I was able to make a characters that I thought looked really cool. That was it. That was everything keeping me in the game.

I figured I would try to do something similar here and stick it out for the new content. Maybe I'd hunt achievements for more dyes, build up my champion points, finish researching everything and collecting motifs; not the most intriguing content, but tolerable as long as I enjoyed the way my characters looked while doing it, with the end goal of being fully prepared for the game's (supposed) resurgence with the console release and then new content after that.

But they're changing the only heavy armor set that I like (aside from some of the concept arts from the Imperial Daedric, Dark Brotherhood, etc. sets, but those obviously don't help as they are not available) in a way that I think looks terrible. If I'm only in this game for the visuals, and now they are significantly worse (again, in my opinion), then I really have no reason to stick around.

It's sad, because out of the dozens of MMOs I've played, only about three others every really stuck. This was beginning to be a fourth, but I just can't justify it now considering the content drought. I'll play a game no matter what it or my characters look like if I have fun stuff to do. If I have little to do, I at least need to look good.

Congrats if you like the new looks, I guess.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like the new Redguard light armor chest looks more like it belongs as part of a superhero costume than the atire of a desert dweller.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm.. the bottom part looks dunmer
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elloa wrote: »
    Jessica have said during the last Elder Scrolls Off The record that there will be be a blog post explaining why they are changing the armor!

I'm still very sad about it, as I really really enjoyed more the old model for the Redguard light and medium armor. I've my Redgard character copied on PTS and I can really see the difference. While the texture of the new armor are simply amazing, the model and the style is banal and blant nstead of being amazing, different and so exotic!

I've creafted my live character a set of Redguard Light armor that I'm wearing till it last!

Indeed. I'm enjoying the old redguard armour whilst it lasts on live. Makes me a little sad to think it's going everytime I think about it.

That being said it's not the end of the world, and even though the new redguard light armour will alter the mofit from being the often the most desirable to being one of the worst, I still will likely have my redguards wear it, because they're redguards and it's their redguard style, and that's just what I do.

I guess it's easy on the outside looking in, but this change is still just as perplexing today as it was the first I heard about it. It will be nice to hear what the blog post states. I honestly hope they have some stellar arguments that will make me understand better the reasons for the tweaking, though I'm not holding my breath.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • civilizedsavage
    civilizedsavage
    ✭✭✭
    Elloa wrote: »
    Wait, wait, wait.....so they asked us what we think about the new textures...we say they suck...and then they explain why they are changing them anyway?!

Nothing will make me quit a game faster than terrible clothes....F my whole since beta investment.

Edited by civilizedsavage on February 8, 2015 9:01AM
    Guild Leader | The Ashen Hand
  • Murmeltier
    Murmeltier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe i am too old but i mean the new Textures are a little bit sharper and have more Details. The old Style was nice but it has looked a little bit "blurred", like Plastic.

The only Thing i will miss, is the light Armor Helm.
    Edited by Murmeltier on February 8, 2015 11:31AM
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Murmeltier wrote: »
    Maybe i am too old but i mean the new Textures are a little bit sharper and have more Details. The old Style was nice but it has looked a little bit "blurred", like Plastic.

The only Thing i will miss, is the light Armor Helm.

I totally understand that they remade the texture. But they could have kept the same style! The first style is really great, while the new one, is just.... boring, banal, and sad. ( I really hope I'm not offending the dev that designed the new style)
    I mean, most of poeple answering this thread seems to share the same opinion concerning Light and Medium Redguard armor.

• Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's do a direct comparison of the Old and New Redguard female Light Armor.

Here's Rohssan at-Bergama, my Level 5 (!) Redguard on the Live server. She is absolutely gorgeous, and her clothing shows off her body.
    fAwgn.jpg
    While the texture is reminiscent of a velour tracksuit, a fabric which I'm not sure would exist in Tamriel, the shape of the garments are fantastic. The curves of her top draw the eye to the curves of her breasts and belly, and her belly button peeps out tantalisingly, making her outfit far more sexy than a much more revealing garment would be.

I am not a fan of the "bandage"-like socks, neither on Redguard nor on any of the other Light Armors that feature this odd wrapping texture. What are we supposed to think, that our characters spend hours wrapping up their arms and legs before battle? In a world that hasn't invented safety pins yet? Oh dear. But I do like the sandals, which are highly appropriate for Alik'r Desert climate

Now let's look at my unnamed template character over on the PTS. She's an Imperial, so lighter-skinned, but otherwise the same shape as Rohssan. (Most sliders as far to the right as they go). And oh my gods, the difference!
    fAwg1.jpg
    The gorgeous sexy clothing on the Live server is replaced with far stiffer, starchier garments which cannot be mistaken for anything other than armour. Is it my imagination, or does the breastplate look like a Transformers logo? Not a scrap of flesh is on view - which is more practical for armour, but really quite disappointing for those of us who admire the female form.

The fabric is now silk, which is more appropriate to Tamriel. Though now I'm looking at the socks and wondering how they stay up in a world without elastic. (It must be magic, there's no other explanation). The new textures are clearly much higher quality, but the armour itself is so depressing to look at that I can hardly appreciate it.

And what in Oblivion does she have on her feet? Tennis shoes?! Sneakers? The texture's all wrong for velvet slippers. What on earth was wrong with the practical desert sandals?

Honestly. This is awful. All of the lovely cultural references are gone. There is nothing about this armour which says it belongs to the Redguard race. Nor is it at all feminine.

I should comment on all the other levels of Redguard female armour and male armour and the Orc female and male armours, but I am frankly too disappointed to want to look right now.

Agree, agree, agree.

I can't tell you how sad the change makes me. I really love the flow of the Redguard light armor, the low level and the higher levels. If they need to change, just put the silk textures on the *current* armor design. That would be perfect! I never even notice the awful shoes with the new design.. ugh

The new design reminds me of the architecture, but it's not in the least bit subtle. Why would anyone want to run around looking like a building or an awning? The current lvl 40 robes are so unique and flattering, even my Nord wears them! Oh and there's no cleavage to horrify any delicate sensibilities, she's covered up.

The new light jerkin...that little flap thing in the front and back.. It kind of looks like a diaper.. wow. The shoulders are just sort of stuck there as an afterthought, the sleeves are unfinished. The more I see it, the sadder and more angry I get.

Ok, so with b2p, the demographic will change. With the need for a new influx of players they want to make armor more family-friendly? Keeping the game unique and beautiful will draw far more players who will stay, rather than a generic game that has no allure to keep people interested.

I really want to know, why the senseless change? With all of the things that need attention, why spend time fixing something that is fine as it is?

EDIT: After really looking at the med and heavy, they're both awful as well. I hadn't looked closely at the bottoms and boots, they don't match or blend at all. The overall effect for all armor types is very cartoony.
    Edited by Daraugh on February 8, 2015 11:21PM
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh come on - removal of a belly button makes it family-friendly ??!!?? <banging head against wall>
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may not like the looks but the new armor has superior textures and lighting.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Superior in what sense? The original looked quite cuddly/pettable which I find 'superior'.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tamanous wrote: »
    You may not like the looks but the new armor has superior textures and lighting.
    Aesthetics > graphics. Nearly every time.

If they wanted to improve textures, they could have done it without changing the style. I still don't understand the point of this redesign.
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Superior in what sense? The original looked quite cuddly/pettable which I find 'superior'.

Technical superiority. I did not intend to touch upon what you prefer. Reasons for the change are with ZOS. Could be start of ever improved texture changes, performance or perhaps these races simply always had inferior/placeholder textures.
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Aesthetics > graphics. Nearly every time.

If they wanted to improve textures, they could have done it without changing the style. I still don't understand the point of this redesign.

When I point out one single thing it DOES NOT mean I am suggesting ANYTHING ELSE!!!

The improvement to textures is apparent. The reasons for the change or what you prefer is unknown to me ... and the latter I don't give a f'ing care about.
    Edited by Tamanous on February 9, 2015 6:55PM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect I lack the graphics card, or maybe the taste to appreciate the technical superiority. But ... gold-plated poop is still poop.
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh come on - removal of a belly button makes it family-friendly ??!!?? <banging head against wall>
    Why in Oblivion does a game which is rated Mature in North America and 18 in Europe need to be "family-friendly" anyway?
    Tamanous wrote: »
    Textures - yes. Lighting - I don't have a graphics card good enough to comment on.

Mostly though, I don't understand why they couldn't retexture the existing armour rather than completely replacing it. The "tennis shoe"/"plimsole"/"sneaker" appearance of those Redguard female Light Armor shoes is ridiculous.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • cote-bmsb16_ESO
    cote-bmsb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    5ad3lo2cuzv5.jpg
    I'm so disappointed in 1.6 redguard medium armor. Its v14, yellow and hundings rage and it looks like shiny *** in 1.6. I picked redguard for the style and look, then you go and ruin it.

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why in Oblivion does a game which is rated Mature in North America and 18 in Europe need to be "family-friendly" anyway?
    I'm in a nitpicky mood today. It's 16+ in Europe. :)
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5ad3lo2cuzv5.jpg
    I'm so disappointed in 1.6 redguard medium armor. Its v14, yellow and hundings rage and it looks like shiny *** in 1.6. I picked redguard for the style and look, then you go and ruin it.

I like the male version as it isn't much different than before other than improved textures but the female apparently seems to have changed dramatically.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just don't get why the change to something so dramatically unattractive. If the only good looking clothing/armor is in the cash/crown shop it will work against the role player types staying.
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    I'm in a nitpicky mood today. It's 16+ in Europe. :)

That's rated PEGGI 12 belly button armor! (TeraOnline)

ofXR5.jpg

Edited by Elloa on February 9, 2015 10:31PM
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People were using the more revealing armor styles as clothing, not armor.

Offering customers the ability to create characters with stunning physiques just to cover them completely, even out of combat, is just not healthy.

In fairness, creating allure and walking that line between sexy and trashy requires talent beyond most artists working in the industry. Tera is perhaps an extreme example of this ;)

But the art direction is this game is so frequently outstanding that it puzzles me that they are unable to handle this issue better. And they have. There was nothing wrong or trashy with Redguard light as it is.

EUAndala2_zps07acbf74.png
    Edited by bellanca6561n on February 9, 2015 11:04PM
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they did a great job on all of these armors.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC