The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dwemer Style Items - Another Ridiculously Long Grind

LonePirate
LonePirate
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I spent some time yesterday taking my VR14 EP character on a hunt for materials for the new Dwemer style. From the ESO Live show, I knew to head to the Dwemer locales so that is where I went.

My first stop was Inner Sea Armiture in Stonefalls. This is a level 5 delve for me and the Dwemer mobs dropped nothing which is unsurprising but I thought there might be a slim chance they could drop one of the new items. I also searched the few containers and found nothing of interest.

I moved to Bthzark in VR1 Stros M'Kai to try my luck. Despite killing dozens of Dwemer mobs, no new Dwemer materials dropped and I found nothing in the containers. The old Dwemer gears which can be sold dropped like snowflakes in a blizzard.

I then travelled to VR5 Bangkorai and I entered Razak's Wheel. I killed several dozen Dwemer constructs and elite mobs for which I received 2 of the new Dwemer Scrap pieces. Unfortunately, you need 10 of them before you can refine these scrap parts into something useable. More on that in a bit.

I did not find any Dwemer motif chapters or the book so I headed to VR6 Vulkhel Guard to see if I could farm one at the bank. I quit after 30 minutes of nothing.

So, I spent about two hours in total killing Dwemer mobs and I received 2 scraps. Once I have 10 of them, I can refine them into Dwemer Frames which are the Dwemer style stones like bone or corundum. This is a new routine compared to the other styles. Once I have a Dwemer Frame, I can use void cloth, void ingots or night wood (for example) to craft a Dwemer weapon or piece of armor.

Did anyone else have any luck finding these Dwemer scraps or the new motif book/chapters? Does this seem like another long grind? Is it worth the time investment?
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you will collect a lot of pages or a book - you can sell it with goop profit. Or craft it with good profit. If you don't need a gold - no, it's not worth your time.
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »
    I don't know how you get out of bed in the morning LonePirate. ;)

Some orange juice with a splash of vodka usually helps!

This grind doesn't seem like it is as long and as unrewarding as the Nirncrux hunt, fortunately. It could be we just need to find the good grind locations or techniques. The intrepid PTS adventurers like us get to experience the content without knowing what to expect. Sometimes it is fun and sometimes it is frustrating.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not getting something within the first 48 hours would be a refreshing change imo...

If you got 1 scrap/hour, that means someone playing 10 hours/day could get a full dwemer set in one week, while it'd take a month or so (or a lot of money) for someone who doesn't play that much. Sounds fine.
    Edited by DDuke on October 14, 2014 4:25PM
  • Unknown_poster
    Unknown_poster
    ✭✭✭
    Do stuff more near your level...just did a v10 dweomer dungeon and got 6 scraps in 20 minutes.
  • Mountain_Dewed
    Mountain_Dewed
    ✭✭✭
    Are the pages dropping in furniture like other motifs?
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    Not getting something within the first 48 hours would be a refreshing change imo...

If you got 1 scrap/hour, that means someone playing 10 hours/day could get a full dwemer set in one week, while it'd take a month or so (or a lot of money) for someone who doesn't play that much. Sounds fine.

Nirncrux is already something you can go 48 or more hours without finding. This game does not need another item like that.

And there is no guarantee you will get a full Dwemer set after the 70 hours in your example. You might have 70 Dwemer scraps or a smaller number of refined Dwemer Frame style stones; but you may not have any gear, let alone a full set. You still need the motif chapters or book and that drop rate is anyone's guess right now.
    Do stuff more near your level...just did a v10 dweomer dungeon and got 6 scraps in 20 minutes.

I am working up to that. It is simply faster to farm the lower levels. Granted, it should not make any difference with regard to drops so long as the mobs are all vet mobs and this stuff is not level specific. I will have a better feel for it after venturing into my VR8-10 zones.
    [...]

It is not difficult so much as it is a feeling of not being rewarded for your time. For some people, they could farm this stuff for hundreds of hours, not receive a single item and still be content. Then you have people who farm for 15 minutes and then give up after finding nothing. Essentially, if you work 40 hours at a job, do you expect your boss to pay you for 40 hours of work or maybe just 2 hours? What is your threshold for worthwhile use of time vs. waste of time?

My rate last night of 1 scrap per hour is fine with me even though it will mean a very long grind to obtain a full stack of these style stones which is my goal. Compared to how long it takes to acquire a stack of Moonstone or Void Cloth, the Dwemer grind is ridiculously long. Granted, it is still faster than the absolutely insane and broken Nirncrux grind.
    Are the pages dropping in furniture like other motifs?

I honestly do not know. The ESO Live show hinted this stuff could be found outside Dwemer ruins but no one has confirmed this. I welcome anyone to share the locations where these pages or book have been found:

[Moderator Note: Removed moderated quote]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on October 14, 2014 6:03PM
  • c0rp
    c0rp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a post from Gina where she said containers inside the dwemer dungeons.
    Force weapon swap to have priority over EVERYTHING. Close enough.
    Make stamina builds even with magicka builds.
    Disable abilities while holding block.
    Give us a REASON to do dungeons more than once.
    Remove PVP AoE CAP. It is ruining Cyrodiil.
    Fix/Remove Forward Camps. They are ruining Cyrodiil.
    Impenetrability needs to REDUCE CRIT DAMAGE. Not negate entire builds.
    Werewolf is not equal to Vamps/Bats.
  • Mountain_Dewed
    Mountain_Dewed
    ✭✭✭
    well i got 10 scraps on about an hour from the Bthzark ruins. v6 I think it was for me and the dwemmer kept spawning fairly quick, actually very fast, there was always one to attack.

I made a frame, now to find a chapter I guess...
    Edited by Mountain_Dewed on October 14, 2014 7:11PM
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    well i got 10 scraps on about an hour from the Bthzark ruins. v6 I think it was for me and the dwemmer kept spawning fairly quick, actually very fast, there was always one to attack.

You found 10 in a single hour? Congrats! I really got hosed yesterday when I only found 2 in about 2 hours.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of glad I have never really liked the Dwemer Style of armor.....

Although I do have about 600 to 700 Dwemer constructs to kill for one of the Achievements, so if I ever decide to chase that one, then this will give me something else to do.
    Edited by Nestor on October 14, 2014 7:24PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »

You found 10 in a single hour? Congrats! I really got hosed yesterday when I only found 2 in about 2 hours.

Sounds like you've been a victim of bad RNG, nothing else :neutral_face:
    DDuke wrote: »

Nirncrux is already something you can go 48 or more hours without finding. This game does not need another item like that.

And there is no guarantee you will get a full Dwemer set after the 70 hours in your example. You might have 70 Dwemer scraps or a smaller number of refined Dwemer Frame style stones; but you may not have any gear, let alone a full set. You still need the motif chapters or book and that drop rate is anyone's guess right now.

Nirncrux is a joke. If I deemed it worthy of spending money on, I could get enough to research everything I need in 15 minutes.

Same will apply to Dwemer materials/chapters/motifs. They'll be circulating the economy without being too abundant (hopefully) and perhaps act as a money sink for people. After purchasing all bank slots, there's not much else you can spend money on :)

If they were BoP, I could see your complaint being more valid.
  • Anjelicus
    Anjelicus
    ✭✭✭
    I found 11 in my first hour in that same dungeon as well, no luck on the chapters tho
    Vokundein
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    Guild Twitch Live Stream
    Anjelicus - Head of PVE
    VR14 Templar // VR14 Nightblade // VR14 Dragonknight // VR10 Sorcerer
    PTS - Veteran Dragonstar Arena Developer Challenge Conqueror
  • Nightreaver
    Nightreaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also got a dozen scraps in an hour but no chapters or motif books.

I expect that number to go WAY down when it goes live however when you start seeing groups and Bots trying to lay claim to entire sections of dungeons or multiple groups competing for same area.

I personally don't think it will be like Nirnstones, I think it will be worse.
    With Nirn stones you have high VR level individuals running across half the zone to harvest items. With Dwemer scraps you are going to see groups/Bots camping sections of the few specific dungeons that contain these items with waiting lists to get into these groups. If you can't into one of these groups then your chance of getting scraps will go down even further.
    Edited by Nightreaver on October 14, 2014 10:30PM
    If they ever create a Legendary recipe it better contain bacon as one of the ingredients. I'm just sayin'.
  • Mountain_Dewed
    Mountain_Dewed
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully they realize that many will be hitting these mobs and work on a solution as the PTS goes on...
  • danovic
    danovic
    ✭✭✭
    This will never work unless they make the dwemer delves instances so everyone gets a fresh one there drop is kind of rare.
  • Mountain_Dewed
    Mountain_Dewed
    ✭✭✭
    Holy shinsplints do these dwemer tear up your armor...FAST!

Yeah, I can grind somewhat but I hope that this is not the only way for the automaton or whatever. The scraps aren't too bad but they do take a while...
    Edited by Mountain_Dewed on October 15, 2014 2:11AM
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have spent the first two days of this release in Dwemer ruins the entire time I played in PTS and I just have to say that I'm done looking for this motif or the "lost chapters". Be nice to test if the Dwemer armor and weapons have clipping issues, bugs or whatever but I'm not going to waste my time looking for something that MIGHT drop once a week... lol... I'll test other stuff.

Love that it's rare but damn... usually the drop rate of scraps is like one out of every 6-7 machines or so but it depends on the dungeon (ive noticed). I already have 4 frames, could have 5-6... maybe more if I grinded more but screw that lol.
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I liked the fact I had to search 'hard' for these parts. Something to add longevity is exactly what this game needs. Too many players with a "want it now" attitude are spoiling this game !

:(
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Phantax wrote: »
    Personally I liked the fact I had to search 'hard' for these parts. Something to add longevity is exactly what this game needs. Too many players with a "want it now" attitude are spoiling this game !

The Imperial Motif book is already the rarest item in the game. The four epic/purple motif books are a lot more rare than before. Nirncrux stones are exceptionally rare. The Dwemer motifs look to be rare as well. How many very difficult to find items do you need or want in this game? Then there are the rare loot drops.

It's one thing to ask for something to be rare to make it challenging to find. It is another thing entirely to make it next to impossible to find thus demotivating players from ever looking for it.

There are 15 chapters to this motif. Given how tough it is to find the four epic motif books recently, now add 15 more items that are equally as rare. The difficulty in finding them will make people quit first which is not what this game needs.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Phantax wrote: »

The Imperial Motif book is already the rarest item in the game. The four epic/purple motif books are a lot more rare than before. Nirncrux stones are exceptionally rare. The Dwemer motifs look to be rare as well. How many very difficult to find items do you need or want in this game? Then there are the rare loot drops.

It's one thing to ask for something to be rare to make it challenging to find. It is another thing entirely to make it next to impossible to find thus demotivating players from ever looking for it.

There are 15 chapters to this motif. Given how tough it is to find the four epic motif books recently, now add 15 more items that are equally as rare. The difficulty in finding them will make people quit first which is not what this game needs.

I agree with LonePirate here. I like that's it rare and all. (Dwemer motif is gold apparently) but honestly I don't have the time to play this game enough to find this motif anytime soon. I guess people who play it a lot will find it, which means I'll just have to buy it. I'm fine if they keep it rare cause it's more lore friendly however.

I'm not a "want it now" guy and enjoy the adventure of finding stuff that is hard to find but damn... I think I'm more likely to actually find a living Dwemer in the game before I find that book. lol.

• LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind that the motif book itself is legendary level rare. It's the 15 chapters all being epic level rare which annoys me. Due to the number of items, these should all be superior level rare (or not so rare). The limited number of Dwemer ruins and containers inside them automatically makes these chapters tough to find even without an artificially high rarity of their own.

Has anyone found any of the chapters yet? Surely with this many people searching for them, at least one of them has turned up by now, right?

Also, what/where are the Dwemer ruins in the AD zones. I'm EP so the ruins/delves in my zones won't drop anything from mobs. I have searched the ruins I remember in the DC zones in Stros, Alik'r and Bangkorai. Where else is there?
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are there any dwemer ruins in craglorn?
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think Mtharnaz (in the southwest section of Craglorn) is a Dwemer ruin.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ahh, yes thank you, i will search there.
    thank you again for the information.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Rkundzelft in eastern Craglorn and Rkhardahrk in central Craglorn are also Dwemer ruins.

Given how large numbers of the player base absolutely despise Craglorn because of the forced grouping in that zone, ZOS probably loaded up those three Craglorn delves (Mtharnaz, Rkhardahrk and Rkundzelft) with Dwemer scraps and motif items.
    Edited by LonePirate on October 15, 2014 4:46AM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Rkundzelft in the eastern Craglorn and Rkhardahrk in central Craglorn are also Dwemer ruins.

oh yes, indeed. i will research there also, thank you.

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind things being rare, the problem for me is that container grinding has been shor-damn awful from the start. It's a super-boring activity, you are competing with everybody else in your phase, and they don't respawn in a reasonable time frame which means you are forced to relog into a new phase/instance - which results in meta-gaming. Combined with the limited areas the Dwemer motifs will drop, this is just a nighmare of un-fun.
    I really like the containers for simple things, like food and other crafting ingredients, as they add a lot of depth to the game world. But putting exclusive rare drops in them feels absolutely terrible when you want to look for them.

I'd be absolutely fine with Dwemer motifs staying rare, but please, either

1) Make them more likely to drop from locked chests
    2) Add them as a rare drop from automatons
    3) Add them as a drop from dungeon and delve bosses
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Frenkthevile
    Frenkthevile
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spent some time yesterday taking my VR14 EP character on a hunt for materials for the new Dwemer style. From the ESO Live show, I knew to head to the Dwemer locales so that is where I went.

My first stop was Inner Sea Armiture in Stonefalls. This is a level 5 delve for me and the Dwemer mobs dropped nothing which is unsurprising but I thought there might be a slim chance they could drop one of the new items. I also searched the few containers and found nothing of interest.

I moved to Bthzark in VR1 Stros M'Kai to try my luck. Despite killing dozens of Dwemer mobs, no new Dwemer materials dropped and I found nothing in the containers. The old Dwemer gears which can be sold dropped like snowflakes in a blizzard.

I then travelled to VR5 Bangkorai and I entered Razak's Wheel. I killed several dozen Dwemer constructs and elite mobs for which I received 2 of the new Dwemer Scrap pieces. Unfortunately, you need 10 of them before you can refine these scrap parts into something useable. More on that in a bit.

I did not find any Dwemer motif chapters or the book so I headed to VR6 Vulkhel Guard to see if I could farm one at the bank. I quit after 30 minutes of nothing.

So, I spent about two hours in total killing Dwemer mobs and I received 2 scraps. Once I have 10 of them, I can refine them into Dwemer Frames which are the Dwemer style stones like bone or corundum. This is a new routine compared to the other styles. Once I have a Dwemer Frame, I can use void cloth, void ingots or night wood (for example) to craft a Dwemer weapon or piece of armor.

Did anyone else have any luck finding these Dwemer scraps or the new motif book/chapters? Does this seem like another long grind? Is it worth the time investment?
    Containers in dwemer's caves drop the recipes, not mobs.
  • Mountain_Dewed
    Mountain_Dewed
    ✭✭✭
    2 of the ruins don't have anything but provision containers and they are solo. Looks as if the group thing is becoming more true.

My mistake as I think of it but they only have a handful of pots/urns...
    Edited by Mountain_Dewed on October 15, 2014 10:40AM
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Another ridiculously long grind" is there any kind of grind in this game ?

- > There is no grind at all in the sense that there is nothing worth to be grinded right now. Dragonstar arena and Trials were a fail imo not really in the direction of the community because not even providing a grind interest.

So, at least we will have something to do with update 5 : dungeons for sets and dwemer style. Logging in and actually have to do something is a new refreshing feeling we had almost forgotten.
    Edited by Sotha_Sil on October 15, 2014 11:13AM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!