The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The Endless War (Seeds Quest) Tested WORKING Method.

SkodaZek
SkodaZek
✭✭
The Endless War
Coldharbour Quest for the Cliffs of Failure. Specifically Strange Seed Planting

Currently in Coldharbour the primary quest at Cliffs of Failure is bugged and is causing a lot of frustration among players (as can be seen by spending 5 minutes reading zone chat while in CH). It seems some players are affected more than others. It would seem there are players who do the quest without even realizing it is bugged, while others spend hours and hours on it and cannot even manage to plant a single seed.

I was one of the unfortunate aforementioned. Several hours and 5 groups later I was still sitting at 0/6 seeds. Convinced my character was bugged and I was going to be forced to wait on hotfix I was just about throw in the towel on the seed. (Let me clarify that is not throwing the seed into the towel o.O).

Literally by chance I discovered this moments before I was going to outright give up on completing the quest. After discovering this method, completing the quest for myself. I then taught and observed the successful completion of several other players who were similarly effected. I can thus confirm with absolute certainty that this method works and has undergone extensive testing.

Please note that these directions leave little to no room for deviation from the following directions.

1. Acquire quest and ensure you have 6 strange seeds in your quest inventory.
2. Position yourself among a group of 2 or more Heritance mobs and stand on or extremely close to their spawn point. (It is recommended that you not allow the mobs to move too far from their point of origin, do not kite them around, you want the corpses to be neatly packed together right where the same mobs are going to respawn).
3. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PLANT SEEDS AFTER YOU KILL THE HERITANCE MOBS
4. Wait patiently for the same group of mobs to respawn.
5. Do not attack the group when it respawns and do not plant seed on corpses from previous spawn YET.
6. Wait for the mobs to aggro you. (I find it is best to allow one of them to get 1 hit on you instead of just general aggro).
7. Plant seed. (Wait for animation to fully realize before doing anything else and the quest update to trigger).
8. Kill mobs.
9. Rinse and Repeat.

NOTE: It is strongly suggested you do this in an area that has lower player activity. If you go up the ramp in the quest area to where all the Heritance Cutthroats and Sorcerers, you are much less likely to have someone interrupt your attempt to finish this quest. You ideally do not want others jumping in on your group of mobs while your doing this, if the mobs aggress anyone else other than yourself. The planting will fail and you will find yourself short a seed necessary to complete the quest.

FURTHER NOTE: If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation that you are sitting at 4 or 5/6 planted and are out of seeds due to a failure or two. Do not stress. You are facing an opportunity to finish the quest without having to restart and at the same time helping another player. Rather than starting over, ask in zone chat for anyone who is having same issue if they would like to learn how to complete the quest. Then either explain the method of have them read this thread. You can then be in group with him/her in close proximity and receive quest update when he or she succeeds in planting.

I do hope this helps many of you complete this quest. I understand the frustration this has caused many players (myself included), and it would be incredibly selfish to not provide this thread after stumbling upon this method of completion. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me in game.

My character name is Skoda Zek

Regards,
Skoda Zek
Sincerely,
Skoda Zek - Dragonknight
  • SkodaZek
    SkodaZek
    ✭✭
    Tested this method a few more times, and it is still holding up with a 100% success rate.
    Sincerely,
    Skoda Zek - Dragonknight
  • Hangtooth
    Hangtooth
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks so much for sharing, worked great just now!
  • xaq
    xaq
    Soul Shriven
    pretty much worked! took three of us to get all 6 seeds planted, but much better than the five hours I wasted trying every other permutation.
  • SkodaZek
    SkodaZek
    ✭✭
    glad the guide helped!
    Sincerely,
    Skoda Zek - Dragonknight
  • jmatchan
    jmatchan
    Soul Shriven
    This actually worked for me.
  • SkodaZek
    SkodaZek
    ✭✭
    just bumping this up so that it does not get buried and continues to help folks.
    Sincerely,
    Skoda Zek - Dragonknight
  • Nocshdel
    Nocshdel
    ✭✭✭
    Worked, massive pain in the rear but worked
  • Vortimere
    Vortimere
    I tried so many things and failed and got a response to my ticket which was of no help either--this is the ONLY solution that worked for me. Thx very much SkodaZek! :)
  • angel59
    angel59
    ✭✭✭
    Great, now I just have to figure out how to get the seeds back. I have the quest but no seeds in my quest inventory. I was pressing E whenever it showed in the UI but nothing happened. Was not aware it was bugged until too late. Gonna have to hang around the forums more. :)
  • Vortimere
    Vortimere
    @angel59‌ Abandon the quest and go back to The Observer to pick it up again--when you talk to Juline, you'll get 6 new seeds.
  • angel59
    angel59
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bonesly. I will do that. Never thought of abandoning to reset. doh!

@angel59‌ Abandon the quest and go back to The Observer to pick it up again--when you talk to Juline, you'll get 6 new seeds.

• SkodaZek
    SkodaZek
    ✭✭
    Fantastic, please direct people to this thread who you witness asking for home in coldharbour zone chat.
    Sincerely,
    Skoda Zek - Dragonknight
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally cretinous that nigh on two months after release such game-breaking bugs sill exist.
  • GhostRunner521
    I got to 1/6 seeds planted with this method and no more. I believe the issue is that if someone else hits the mob it will not work for you.

Luckily I found a player who it was working for who was willing to abandon and start over and group me up. He spent a long time last night doing that for others.
  • Lorgren_Benirus
    Got it up to 5/6 using this method and then the final one did not work. Tried more then once, at times ending up 5/6, 4/6. And yes, followed to the letter. So no, it seems to increase the chance a bit but not 100% result. Quest is still bugged.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quest is still bugged.
    And ZOS silence is deafening.

• SkodaZek
    SkodaZek
    ✭✭
    Got it up to 5/6 using this method and then the final one did not work. Tried more then once, at times ending up 5/6, 4/6. And yes, followed to the letter. So no, it seems to increase the chance a bit but not 100% result. Quest is still bugged.

Interesting, I would be more than willing to help in game. I have up to now walked through (while present) over 25 people with 100% success. Let me know in game if you would like me to do the same for you.

P.S. That goes for anyone else having troubles with the method
    Sincerely,
    Skoda Zek - Dragonknight
  • SkodaZek
    SkodaZek
    ✭✭
    I got to 1/6 seeds planted with this method and no more. I believe the issue is that if someone else hits the mob it will not work for you.

Luckily I found a player who it was working for who was willing to abandon and start over and group me up. He spent a long time last night doing that for others.

Yes, as I made mention. It is ideal to perform this method up the ramp towards the back where player activity is significantly reduced due to the fact that interference from other players can prevent it from working. I mentioned this under NOTE in original post.
    Sincerely,
    Skoda Zek - Dragonknight
  • heartunseen
    heartunseen
    Soul Shriven
    Yes, thank you! This worked perfectly for me. I'll be sure to spread the word in /zone

For those who couldn't get to 6/6 with this method -- it's highly likely that you "wasted" one of the the seeds on a corpse of the first wave. I kited the first wave a few steps away from their spawn point, and the second wave also, to be absolutely sure. This way, I made sure I wouldn't accidently hit E on their corpses, as at least the corpses of the first wave won't work. I killed the third wave and then waited for the 4th wave to spawn, used the first seed on the corpses of the third wave, and then one by one on each subsequent wave. Worked like a charm.
    Edited by heartunseen on May 28, 2014 10:13PM
  • Eivar
    Eivar
    ✭✭✭✭
    tried this numerous times, does not work reliably. grouped with someone we both started over, after 12 seeds we had 4/6 planted.
  • MaryRose
    MaryRose
    Soul Shriven
    this does not work for me :( now i HAVE to wait for hotfix
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really what needs to happen is that ZOS fixes the quest. There should be no need to jump through these hoops because of bugs. I've submitted a bug report and I highly recommend that others affected by this to do the same.
  • peter.harkessnrb18_ESO
    Conclusion: This game is simply bad
  • rbenkepub19_ESO
    rbenkepub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried this method a total of 10 times with no success. I managed to plant 1 seed (which, admittedly, is1 more than I was able to do before trying this method).

Some clarification:
    5. Do not attack the group when it respawns and do not plant seed on corpses from previous spawn YET.
    6. Wait for the mobs to aggro you. (I find it is best to allow one of them to get 1 hit on you instead of just general aggro).
    7. Plant seed. (Wait for animation to fully realize before doing anything else and the quest update to trigger).
    8. Kill mobs.

Mobs spawn in Step 5, but we don't kill them until Step 8. So in Step 7 we're planting seeds on mobs from Step 2 while we're actively being attacked by the mobs from Step 6? Am I interpreting this correctly?
    Edited by rbenkepub19_ESO on May 30, 2014 5:58AM
  • UberTester
    UberTester
    ✭✭
    Yes, its while you are being attacked that you use the seed. Did 6/6 using a DK. Right afterwards I tried on my templar... didn't work. Killed the exact same mob, but it didn't respawn until the previous corpse vanished from timeout. 0/6. Had to group up with someone who wasn't bugged to complete it. Even tried tagging some of the kills in the bot train, but they didn't work either.
    Edited by UberTester on May 31, 2014 12:56AM
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I got up to 5/6.

Reset the quest, and got up to 5/6 again.

No dice.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried this method. Killed a mob away from the crowd. The mob finally respawned after two minutes and I hit "e" to plant the seed after positioning myself to get the prompt while being attacked. There was no animation, a seed was deducted from my inventory without counting toward the quest, the game froze for a few seconds, then my character was hit for several delayed attacks by the one mob all at once and was killed. No other players were around.

Tried again with a group of mobs but even up the ramp other players kept jumping in to kill them (the first time). I waited until the mobs respawned and healed myself for as long as possible while trying to plant the seeds (I was the only player around) but only one "worked" and eventually the four of them killed me after trying to plant for the last time (and using up my last seed).

I would "move on" to the next thing but this is my last quest before starting the assault. Not sure when this will be fixed but this morning's maintenance didn't help. Thanks for offering a potential work-around for the bug. Hope others are having batter luck. :)

Edited by tinythinker on May 31, 2014 3:21PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Conclusion: This game is simply bad
    Except that I got the quest and finished it with no issues. No standing close or whatever; just kill the enemies and drop the seeds. I even grouped with someone having problems and he got credit for two more bodies. Unfortunately he grouped with me after I'd already started, so I was done and he wasn't. I do hope he found someone to finish the quest.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason for the glitches to show up. Probably part of the reason it is taking time for a fix.

• RedRabbit999
    RedRabbit999
    ✭✭
    Of all the multiple attempts on this quest, I got 1 seed planted using this method, the rest of the times it did nothing. Tried this quest so many times now and i can't even get a single seed to plant anymore. Quest is just broken, there's no excuse. Thanks for the workaround and I'm glad it worked for some people, but we shouldn't be needing a workaround, the quest should work as intended.
  • Vortimere
    Vortimere
    I tried this method. Killed a mob away from the crowd. The mob finally respawned after two minutes and I hit "e" to plant the seed after positioning myself to get the prompt while being attacked.
    It sounds like you're planting a seed on your first kill (wave 1) after the 2nd wave spawns in... the workaround calls for you to only plant one seed on wave 2, wave 3, wave 4, ... wave 7. You never plant a seed on any of the mobs you killed on wave 1 and you never plant a seed on a skeleton (i.e., a corpse that has successfully had a seed planted on it previously).

I agree with others that no workaround should be required, but until a patch comes out this method seems to be the best chance at success for quite a few.

Edit: The instructions do say to wait for the mobs to hit you first, but then you're supposed to kill that second wave of mobs and plant a seed on one of the corpses that died in the second wave--there are no mobs up at this point so nothing should be attacking you while trying to plant a seed.
    Edited by Vortimere on May 31, 2014 5:48PM