Quest Status Bug

• Howda
    Howda
    ✭✭✭
    Poss wrote: »

The support from my end is asking me to check for add-ons, even though I've told him that it's related to gameplay and progression. I've even linked to this post, so that they can have more context.

I'd really like to see some acknowledgement from the team as well, but maybe it's just a minority of players that are encountering this bug. 🤷🏻

Yeh it’s definitely not add on related since I’m on console too. I don’t think they know what’s causing it so I’m not expecting a fix anytime soon which is unfortunate.

I explained to the support guy that of all the bugs I’ve experienced over the years, this is the one that’ll likely make me quit. This is huge. My progression is now frozen and depends entirely on whether they can fix this. I paid for Necrom and cannot play it. I’ve moved on to Hogwarts Legacy and have had zero motivation to play ESO last few days so idk, not looking good

I haven't played since, only login for daily rewards and event quest.
    Howda
    Don't
    Blood for the PACT
    Dark Elf Dragonknight
    [EU]
    Options
  • Colue
    Colue
    we need compistation for all of us that have been screwed by this
    Options
  • Irisa37
    Irisa37
    Hi all, wanted to share an update on this issue. We know this bug has been frustrating and we have been making progress on pinpointing what’s causing it; we’ve found it frequently manifests itself after completing the Cyrodiil quest “Kill 20 Arcanists” or the Necrom quest “Tracing Shadows”, as many of you have noted.

At this time, the fix is appearing to be quite complex and unfortunately isn’t one that we’re able to hotfix. We are currently targeting to have this fixed with Update 39 launch and will keep you posted if this changes. Thanks for your patience and understanding here.

Thank you for the update, however, I must say that I am very disappointed. I have just completed the 'Kill 20 Arcanists' quests and it has wrecked map completion in my game as others have described. I had completed every single zone in the game except for Telvanni Peninsula and Apocrypha. My game now shows my having completed stories and sections of those maps that I have not completed and marked as incomplete stories, quests, and locations that I have meticulously completed over the last four years in all the other zones! This is more than a minor issue. The announcement being planned for the next patch really ought to make that very clear to avoid being disingenous.

This leads me into my second point. This issue has been identified on 28 July, based on the date of this reply. I have just broken my game through not knowing about it today on 13 August. I'm sure others are likely to have done the same. Why was an in-game warning not sent to the entire user base not to complete these two quests? Why were the quests not deactivated on 28 July? Had I known they would break my game, I would not have completed either of them. Posting a reply such as this on the forum is not sufficient. Many players do not check the forum at all or very infrequently. In-game warnings about servers being shut down are sent all the time, so why no warning about these quests?

All of this leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth and does not reflect at all well on ZoS and the way in which it views its player base. I normally shrug my shoulders about most bugs and glitches in this game, as we all make mistakes and things can go wrong. This one, however, really should have been acknowledged much more publicly and we should have been warned. I feel very let down.
    Options
  • DimTh
    DimTh
    ✭✭
    Hi,

i bought the Necrom some hours earlier to start the new adventure, but no, i have
    ''already'' 8/9 main quests, i have almost 2 months the same problem with all of you,
    tamriel and dlc areas appearing uncompleted it on main quests, dungeons, world boss, etc.

I suppose by 90% that the issue appeared when i did the quest from Cyro with 20 necrom kills.

So, i was ready to start the Necrom today but i can't, how much longer zos we will have this problem?
    2 months its not a long period to fix it?
    Options
  • dcrush
    dcrush
    ✭✭✭✭
    Irisa37 wrote: »
    Hi all, wanted to share an update on this issue. We know this bug has been frustrating and we have been making progress on pinpointing what’s causing it; we’ve found it frequently manifests itself after completing the Cyrodiil quest “Kill 20 Arcanists” or the Necrom quest “Tracing Shadows”, as many of you have noted.

At this time, the fix is appearing to be quite complex and unfortunately isn’t one that we’re able to hotfix. We are currently targeting to have this fixed with Update 39 launch and will keep you posted if this changes. Thanks for your patience and understanding here.

Thank you for the update, however, I must say that I am very disappointed. I have just completed the 'Kill 20 Arcanists' quests and it has wrecked map completion in my game as others have described. I had completed every single zone in the game except for Telvanni Peninsula and Apocrypha. My game now shows my having completed stories and sections of those maps that I have not completed and marked as incomplete stories, quests, and locations that I have meticulously completed over the last four years in all the other zones! This is more than a minor issue. The announcement being planned for the next patch really ought to make that very clear to avoid being disingenous.

This leads me into my second point. This issue has been identified on 28 July, based on the date of this reply. I have just broken my game through not knowing about it today on 13 August. I'm sure others are likely to have done the same. Why was an in-game warning not sent to the entire user base not to complete these two quests? Why were the quests not deactivated on 28 July? Had I known they would break my game, I would not have completed either of them. Posting a reply such as this on the forum is not sufficient. Many players do not check the forum at all or very infrequently. In-game warnings about servers being shut down are sent all the time, so why no warning about these quests?

All of this leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth and does not reflect at all well on ZoS and the way in which it views its player base. I normally shrug my shoulders about most bugs and glitches in this game, as we all make mistakes and things can go wrong. This one, however, really should have been acknowledged much more publicly and we should have been warned. I feel very let down.

This is a prime example of the continuous lack of communication from ZOS, despite regular promises to “improve communication”. Surely it cannot be that hard to say something about a bug this impactful through an official channel or in-game? Or, divines forbid, to disable this game-breaking quest until the fix is live?

It’s one thing if a bug is hard to fix, it’s another thing altogether to willfully let players break their game when you know this issue exists.
    Options
  • jbrianj
    jbrianj
    ✭✭✭
    dcrush wrote: »
    Irisa37 wrote: »

This is a prime example of the continuous lack of communication from ZOS, despite regular promises to “improve communication”. Surely it cannot be that hard to say something about a bug this impactful through an official channel or in-game? Or, divines forbid, to disable this game-breaking quest until the fix is live?

It’s one thing if a bug is hard to fix, it’s another thing altogether to willfully let players break their game when you know this issue exists.

I 100% agree that these quests should've been immediately disabled after confirmation that these quests trigger the bug.

It doesn't mean it's the source of the cause of the bug by the way, it just means these quests trigger the bug. It could be that these 2 quests use a certain script function or method that other quests don't use.
    Edited by jbrianj on August 17, 2023 6:56AM
    Options
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    Be nice if they would hot fix? If they found a solution!
    Options
  • Fourme
    Fourme
    Soul Shriven
    Finally having a fix would be nice, i was so screwed by this bug more than half of my quests (all zones included) just disappeared, some zones even had nearly all quests bugged, and not only this, but now i can't even play tales of tribute since the game wants me to do the quest first, quest i already did but it won't even let me do it again so there I go an entire game mode is gone and it has been like this for weeks now. f2iwvhzi4z11.png

Options
  • fleetingyouth_ESO
    fleetingyouth_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I essentially can't do any zone questing including the new zones that say I have half completion. As mentioned I also can't do tales of tribute which I typically do for the tiered rewards. So I have yet to do any of the new expansion since the release.

I've been mostly doing PvP but that's only on weekends so otherwise I just haven't logged on.

I have to imagine this is affecting a considerable amount of people and they will have to do something huge to make up for it. I've lost a month of playing basically.

Also, does anyone have this bug that has never done the PvP quests? Just curious if this bug is only affecting the PvP community.
    Options
  • Shadeous
    Shadeous
    ✭✭
    I essentially can't do any zone questing including the new zones that say I have half completion. As mentioned I also can't do tales of tribute which I typically do for the tiered rewards. So I have yet to do any of the new expansion since the release.

I've been mostly doing PvP but that's only on weekends so otherwise I just haven't logged on.

I have to imagine this is affecting a considerable amount of people and they will have to do something huge to make up for it. I've lost a month of playing basically.

Also, does anyone have this bug that has never done the PvP quests? Just curious if this bug is only affecting the PvP community.

One of the side quests in necrom can trigger the bug too, so anyone can get bugged.
    Options
  • IndyMike26
    IndyMike26
    ✭✭
    This bug has ruined my entire game. It reset my quest lines across all zones, messed up my map across all zones, and is causing the game to refuse to recognize quest preconditions that I’ve already completed. Not only can I not compete the main quests in Necrom, I cannot complete them in ANY zone throughout the entire game if there is an area that is locked until you complete a quest precondition.

The latest example is I can’t even do dark brotherhood quests because the game will not recognize that I already completed the preconditions to access the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. I literally have the first quest to turn back into a quest giver inside the sanctuary but cannot turn it in because the game doesn’t think I’ve completed the request to get into the sanctuary even though that is where I got the quest that I now can’t turn in to advance the quest.

My companions are also all screwed up on their rapport because of a Necrom bug, and even though I have max rapport, I cannot unlock the achievement. Apparently the only fix is it to lower the rapport to then build it back up which takes FOREVER.

I requested a refund but was denied because I bought it as a preorder more than 14 days before my request — even though it was impossible for me to know this was broken back in April when I bought it…. I even tried to uninstall the entire game and reinstall with and without the Necrom DLC, but my game is still broken.

I canceled my ESO Plus because I was being charged for content I couldn’t even access anymore because of this game-breaking bug.

This game has a lot of problems and bugs, but this one is by far the worst I’ve ever encountered. And the response by the developers, customer support, etc., has been absolutely embarrassing how awful it has been. It has been broken for months, and from what I understand they think they have the fix but they care so little about the impact on us that they are just waiting until it is convenient for them to fix it.

I feel like I’ve been ripped off, and the game I’ve put years of effort into is broken, and all customer support can tell me is too bad and to report the bug as if they aren’t already aware of it.
    Edited by IndyMike26 on August 21, 2023 6:48AM
    Options
  • Howda
    Howda
    ✭✭✭
    IndyMike26 wrote: »
    This bug has ruined my entire game. It reset my quest lines across all zones, messed up my map across all zones, and is causing the game to refuse to recognize quest preconditions that I’ve already completed. Not only can I not compete the main quests in Necrom, I cannot complete them in ANY zone throughout the entire game if there is an area that is locked until you complete a quest precondition.

The latest example is I can’t even do dark brotherhood quests because the game will not recognize that I already completed the preconditions to access the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. I literally have the first quest to turn back into a quest giver inside the sanctuary but cannot turn it in because the game doesn’t think I’ve completed the request to get into the sanctuary even though that is where I got the quest that I now can’t turn in to advance the quest.

My companions are also all screwed up on their rapport because of a Necrom bug, and even though I have max rapport, I cannot unlock the achievement. Apparently the only fix is it to lower the rapport to then build it back up which takes FOREVER.

I requested a refund but was denied because I bought it as a preorder more than 14 days before my request — even though it was impossible for me to know this was broken back in April when I bought it…. I even tried to uninstall the entire game and reinstall with and without the Necrom DLC, but my game is still broken.

I canceled my ESO Plus because I was being charged for content I couldn’t even access anymore because of this game-breaking bug.

This game has a lot of problems and bugs, but this one is by far the worst I’ve ever encountered. And the response by the developers, customer support, etc., has been absolutely embarrassing how awful it has been. It has been broken for months, and from what I understand they think they have the fix but they care so little about the impact on us that they are just waiting until it is convenient for them to fix it.

I feel like I’ve been ripped off, and the game I’ve put years of effort into is broken, and all customer support can tell me is too bad and to report the bug as if they aren’t already aware of it.

I haven't played since June-July it's game breaking for me as well. :(
    Howda
    Don't
    Blood for the PACT
    Dark Elf Dragonknight
    [EU]
    Options
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hi everyone, just wanted to make sure you all were aware that this issue is fixed with today's update. Thanks again for being patient with us.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Lunahari
    Lunahari
    Soul Shriven
    Yes , everything is fine
    Thanks
    Options
  • NotoriousBTK
    NotoriousBTK
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, just wanted to make sure you all were aware that this issue is fixed with today's update. Thanks again for being patient with us.

Not for those of us on console. We still have to live with this bug for 2 more weeks.
    Edited by NotoriousBTK on August 21, 2023 1:48PM
    Options
  • Eaddok
    Eaddok
    Soul Shriven
    well...

2 months my main character was in this headlock

Is it fixed? I can't tell, there's thousands of quests

Right after logging to check, I was met with storm of Achievements... wich have nothing to do with THIS character

kofi29e6prq8.png
    ouuls492c2af.png
    ntx0gah0gb6u.png

It rewrite achievent from other charachter that got it last year, so is it fixed or create more mess? idk

The most bugging thing, the quest that caused the issie was active through all this time, maybe still active

Options
  • Mirumorg
    Mirumorg
    ✭✭✭

Yes, all zones return complete for me. Ty for the fix
    Options
  • Colue
    Colue
    yes it worked and is fixed i did update my steam review but it wont be a positive one till compensation is issued to all of us who have payed for eso+ the months it took u to fix a game breaking bug
    Options
  • IndyMike26
    IndyMike26
    ✭✭

On console, so not fixed and won’t be for several more weeks even though it can be fixed now.
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's fixed on mine, thank you.

Just a question now that we can finally go questing again - are the causes of this bug fixed as well? As in, can we now safely complete the "Kill 20 Arcanists" and the Ald Isra objective without re-bugging our game?
    Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big fingers crossed that this bug is fixed. It had a lot of consequences for me - lots of stuff that was gated behind mission completion was inaccessible.

This affected access to the Morkuldin Forge, Old Orsinium, and the ability to play ToT matches against players.
    Lethal zergling
    Options
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps a special pet could make up for the troubles caused by the bug!

|H1:collectible:5850|h|h
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
    Options
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All my issues caused by this bug appear to be fixed! Good work!
    Lethal zergling
    Options
  • IndyMike26
    IndyMike26
    ✭✭
    For those wondering if they will do anything to account for people who paid $40 for a DLC that didn’t work for 3 months, $40 for three months worth of ESO plus where you were locked out of content you were paying for, and be locked out of content you had already paid for previously through prior purchases, and generally have your entire game screwed up for 3 months, the answer is apparently no. Customer support responded to me this morning that they are not doing anything.

manonwbidsgi.jpeg

Options
  • remaustin
    remaustin
    ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue as of last week. I previously completed Betnikh and Glenumbra. I left for a while and recently reinstalled the game and now those zones show as incomplete and the quests won't trigger.
    I removed all addons but that didn't help.
    Options
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems that when they "fixed" the problem, they made corrections but didn't actually fix it entirely. I still see and hear the npc saying "get away from me you stupid thing" multiple times whenever i go to High Isle, even though I've done the Ember quest with that character a long time ago. So it's definitely possible there are some other leftover bugs to be found, your best chance is to submit a support ticket and pray I guess.
    Options