The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Arcanist abilities too flashy

kumenit_taeynav
kumenit_taeynav
✭✭✭✭
starting this off by saying i dont even have Necrom or the Arcanist class so telling me to stop using certain abilities isnt gonna do anything here.
does anyone else find that Arcanist abilities are too over the top and obstruct your view of whats happening around you? i find even some of the more basic combat to be needlessly difficult bc theres too much green swirls on my screen to see things like enemies or aoes when an Arcanist joins me in a fight. like ive never died from the aoes in the Bok-Xul world boss up until bc with the aoe cue brightness pumped up to max its obvious where they are, an Arcanist happened to join me and suddenly i was struggling to see the aoes and wound up dying.
is there any way i can turn down the Arcanist vfx, any chance the devs might tone it down for everyone?

[EDIT] This is not a thread about the aesthetics of the Arcanist class abilities but about the intensity of the vfx. Go make your own thread if you wanna discuss the aesthetics
Edited by kumenit_taeynav on June 9, 2023 7:10PM
  • zos_Izaren
    Greetings all,

After removing a handful of posts we would like remind everyone to please keep the conversation constructive and relevant to the forum topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely against a change affecting everyone. There is simply no need to do so and many enjoy their arcanist's current style.

A toggle or "blacklist" to exclude unwanted visuals from sight would be reasonable, although that's a discussion not limited to one class. Especially sorc pets would need to be adressed too for the very same reasons you listed.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do think that some of the effects are too bright. I have a hard time seeing when playing the Arcanist cuz the beam is just so big and bright.
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not having any problem at all, neither when using my own skills nor when other Arcanist players use theirs.

I can appreciate that some people are having difficulties, but this is far from being something that affects everyone, so *I* would appreciate that a sledgehammer not be used in any solution, either imposed by players or implemented by ZOS.
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • SimonThesis
      SimonThesis
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I love the visual effects of arcanist, I think it was well done.
    • Liguar
      Liguar
      ✭✭✭✭
      Grizzbeorn wrote: »
      I'm not having any problem at all, neither when using my own skills nor when other Arcanist players use theirs.

I can appreciate that some people are having difficulties, but this is far from being something that affects everyone, so *I* would appreciate that a sledgehammer not be used in any solution, either imposed by players or implemented by ZOS.

Making a toggle so I can choose if I want to see your spell effects or not does not affect you, only me.
      No sledgehammers need be involved.
    • kumenit_taeynav
      kumenit_taeynav
      ✭✭✭✭
      Liguar wrote: »
      Grizzbeorn wrote: »

Making a toggle so I can choose if I want to see your spell effects or not does not affect you, only me.
      No sledgehammers need be involved.

if the devs never do anything about i was thinking that maybe someone who makes addons could perhaps do it themselves. only people who wanna change the Arcanist animations/effects would download it so it wouldnt affect the appearance for everyone
    • ADarklore
      ADarklore
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It's interesting... some players screaming "it's bad, too bright, etc" and then you have players saying, "it's awesome, perfect, love it." ZOS cannot win in this situation, other than to perhaps put more Arcanist skills on the "hide other players skills" category... because there is that option in the settings, in case people didn't know.

Personally, I'm loving Arcanist and think the skills are just fine. Before I tried it on PTS, I heard people saying the same thing about skills being too bright, obnoxious, etc... and was leery about trying it myself. However, once on PTS, I didn't find any problem with the skills whatsoever, in fact quite the opposite.
      CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    • Kendaric
      Kendaric
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      ADarklore wrote: »
      It's interesting... some players screaming "it's bad, too bright, etc" and then you have players saying, "it's awesome, perfect, love it." ZOS cannot win in this situation, other than to perhaps put more Arcanist skills on the "hide other players skills" category... because there is that option in the settings, in case people didn't know.

Personally, I'm loving Arcanist and think the skills are just fine. Before I tried it on PTS, I heard people saying the same thing about skills being too bright, obnoxious, etc... and was leery about trying it myself. However, once on PTS, I didn't find any problem with the skills whatsoever, in fact quite the opposite.

How is that different from some people (me being one of them) not liking flashy, brightly colored mounts/pets/skins while others people love them?

I sincerely hope we get options to disable all of the glowing, flashy stuff if we so choose. That way both groups get what they want.
      Edited by Kendaric on June 7, 2023 11:06AM
        PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      • AcadianPaladin
        AcadianPaladin
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Yes, a toggle to not see flappies, exploding mounts and overdone arcanist skills would be very welcome. I'd like to hope that arcade game look was not what the devs are going for but they are in danger of exactly that.
        PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
      • Elsonso
        Elsonso
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        does anyone else find that Arcanist abilities are too over the top and obstruct your view of whats happening around you? i find even some of the more basic combat to be needlessly difficult bc theres too much green swirls on my screen to see things like enemies or aoes when an Arcanist joins me in a fight. like ive never died from the aoes in the Bok-Xul world boss up until bc with the aoe cue brightness pumped up to max its obvious where they are, an Arcanist happened to join me and suddenly i was struggling to see the aoes and wound up dying.
        is there any way i can turn down the Arcanist vfx, any chance the devs might tone it down for everyone?

They are rather bright green, and I wouldn't be upset if they dimmed them a bit. That is assuming they didn't break the knob by cranking them all the way to 12. :smile:

Due to flashy class and weapon abilities, combat is obstructed whether there is an Arcanist in the crowd or not, and has been for a long time. Arcanist does not make this better or worse, in my limited experience, just a lot greener.

I have my incoming damage ground color set to a pink and the friendly healing set to a green so that they stand out. Sadly, the green is not much different from the Arcanist. That actually makes it hard to tell what is going on with heals, as everything the Arcanist is doing is green. This is my biggest problem with being grouped with an Arcanist, which is currently all groups. I am probably going to have to change that.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
        XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
        X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
      • NoxiousBlight
        NoxiousBlight
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I love the arcanist and I agree.

I am the rare person who likes to quest in first person - it is actually impossible with the arcanist. Between the buffs making everything neon green and the crux swirling around it makes me feel ill. So first person questing is dead with them.

I think everything looks cool but it needs to be toned down. I notice when another arcanist shoots their beam it is duller and thinner - can we just make that one the default beam?

I like the green theme but a little less brightness would be welcome.
      • PrincessOfThieves
        PrincessOfThieves
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Braffin wrote: »
        Definitely against a change affecting everyone. There is simply no need to do so and many enjoy their arcanist's current style.

A toggle or "blacklist" to exclude unwanted visuals from sight would be reasonable, although that's a discussion not limited to one class. Especially sorc pets would need to be adressed too for the very same reasons you listed.

This. A toggle for flashing lights would be great.
        That could include spells, apex mounts, hardmode scrolls in dungeons and the like.
        Edited by PrincessOfThieves on June 7, 2023 1:33PM
      • Northwold
        Northwold
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I was just wandering around Daggerfall last night and found people testing their arcanist skills was making me want to leave. That enormous green whirlpool all over the ground is even worse than the winged twilights. It makes places in the game feel like Disneyland / Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. That is not a good thing. The whole environment felt tacky.

It would be really helpful if we had an option to turn off other player's effects, or at least tone them down.
        Edited by Northwold on June 7, 2023 12:38PM
      • Redriamne
        Redriamne
        ✭✭
        I think a lot of the criticism for the arcanist effects comes simply from the fact they are new, and their color is quite um.. bold and different from everything we had in the game previously(which was a design choice as we know from the interviews). Since it's different than everything else, we automatically notice it more, something that doesn't happen with the effects of other classes, since we are already used to them being there. Our brains see the new effects and are like "hey, this wasn't there before". It will just take some time getting used to. Also, whether you have 5 sorcerers with 20 pets, or any other group of classes using the same skills together, it will automatically feel like it's too much, that's just normal.

Personally I don't think the effects are too much at all. If anything they look more modern and more polished than some/many of the ones of the older classes. We're in 2023, not 2005, so it's a good thing.

And the duller beam/green stripe we see being used by other arcanist players looks like taken from a game made 20+ years ago. It does its job as the version being used by other players, but definitely not as the real deal, so I really hope it won't become the default one.
        Edited by Redriamne on June 7, 2023 1:30PM
      • SaffronCitrusflower
        SaffronCitrusflower
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        The arcanist animations totally change the visual impact of the entire game, in every area, all the time. I find all the animations to be overbearing and obnoxious.
      • Tandor
        Tandor
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        NyassaV wrote: »
        I do think that some of the effects are too bright. I have a hard time seeing when playing the Arcanist cuz the beam is just so big and bright.

That's my main concern with the class. I don't like the crux triangles but at least they're small and relatively non-intrusive unless you suffer motion sickness, migraines or other health issues with them.

The problem for me with the green beams is that they are too dominant and wholly out of keeping with the game. At dolmens with several arcanists in action it's like Molag Bal sent down a load of stormtroopers. Elsewhere with a single arcanist running around it's more like a jedi than my idea of an arcanist.

Some do like the visual effects, however, so I don't advocate wholesale changes, just the ability to turn off the visual effects for those who don't want to see them as well as a toning down of the effects for those who do want to see them but without feeling ill while doing so.
      • shadyjane62
        shadyjane62
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        I didn't buy the chapter because I saw on PTS it was not something for me. All that green, the overbearing abilities were not enjoyable so I skipped it.

Only to do to Alik'r Dolmens and saw the nightmare scenario come to life. Bright green flashing, bright green beams everywhere obscuring things. Couldn't see the mobs for the "beyond ugly" green.

These things don't just affect the player but all those around them.
        Edited by shadyjane62 on June 7, 2023 2:35PM
      • TybaltKaine
        TybaltKaine
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        You think Dolmens are bad, wait until you get into a Deathmatch BG and you're the only NON Arcanist there.
        • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
        • PC/NA
        • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
        • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
        • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
        • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
        • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
        • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
      • Deter1UK
        Deter1UK
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Once the initial rush is over I expect things will calm down. There are a lot of people trying it out at the moment.

I appreciate this does not answer OP's post.
      • Julia_Nix
        Julia_Nix
        ✭✭✭
        If you go to the dolmens in Alik'r desert, Its like a rave party with all those green laser beams.
      • Mr_Jord_Joe
        Mr_Jord_Joe
        ✭✭✭
        Use shaders, or reduce saturation on config of monitor, is simple to fix this, shaders make the game look much better, and reduce bright effects in general.
      • Mr_Jord_Joe
        Mr_Jord_Joe
        ✭✭✭
        I didn't buy the chapter because I saw on PTS it was not something for me. All that green, the overbearing abilities were not enjoyable so I skipped it.

Only to do to Alik'r Dolmens and saw the nightmare scenario come to life. Bright green flashing, bright green beams everywhere obscuring things. Couldn't see the mobs for the "beyond ugly" green.

Disable on settings a option to see other players effects.
      • Kendaric
        Kendaric
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭

Disable on settings a option to see other players effects.

Assuming you're refering to the "Disable Ally Effects" setting or is there another setting I've missed?

You still see a lot of the arcanist's stuff and it definitely does nothing for people affected by motion sickness caused by crux or multiple arcanists using their beams.
        Edited by Kendaric on June 7, 2023 3:53PM
          PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
        • Vulkunne
          Vulkunne
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          Lot of us said this same thing in the beginning. While it does appear they may have toned them down a bit, which for that I'm thankful, its still really distracting and noticeable.
          Edited by Vulkunne on June 7, 2023 3:57PM
          Allow me to commend you on your efforts. You've been quite a worthy opponent. However, today victory is mine. Long Live the Empire.
        • Dreaders123
          Dreaders123
          ✭✭✭
          For fun (dont flame me), here is how AI rates the image....1lmjm89s5rax.png

Edited by Dreaders123 on June 7, 2023 7:21PM
        • Kwik1
          Kwik1
          ✭✭✭✭
          I personally don't see an issue at all. I think they are well done and when I play with an arcanist I don't even notice them except for the large circle under me from thier healing tree, and when playing my arcanist I love the visual representation of the 3 triangles so I know how many charges I have without needing to look for some stupid icon somewhere.

Hope it doesn't change for me, I like it.
        • Elsonso
          Elsonso
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          For fun (dont flame me), here is how AI rates the image....1lmjm89s5rax.png

AI hates Dunmer? :disappointed:
          PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
          XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
          X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
        • vsrs_au
          vsrs_au
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭
          I haven't tried an arcanist myself, but only read what others have posted, but is it true that all the skill effects are green? There's no other colour used?
          PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
        • Braffin
          Braffin
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭
          vsrs_au wrote: »
          I haven't tried an arcanist myself, but only read what others have posted, but is it true that all the skill effects are green? There's no other colour used?

Mostly green, yes. Tentacles aren't tho, that's something like black.