Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: NEW PLAYER GUIDE

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
Table of Contents
Controls and Keybindings
  • Movement
  • Menus
  • Combat
  • General
Character Creation
Quests and Exploring
  • Quests and Objective Tracking
  • Exploration
  • Lockpicking
  • Fishing
  • Fast Travel
  • Mounts
Inventory and Items
  • Inventory
  • Equipment
  • Item Comparison
  • Quickslots
  • Buying, Selling, and Repairing
  • Bank
Skills and Leveling Up
  • Allocating Attribute Points
  • Skill Lines and Types of Abilities
  • Learning Abilities
  • Slotting Abilities
  • Ability Morphs
Combat Basics
  • Weapon Attacks
  • Active Abilities
  • Blocking
  • Interrupting Enemies
  • Stealth
  • Dodging and Escaping
  • Synergies
  • Looting
  • Death
Chat and Grouping
  • Communicating with Other Players
  • Forming a Party
  • Interacting with Others
  • Looking for Group System
  • Travel to Player
  • Adding Friends
  • Forming a Guild
  • Guild Banks and Stores
Group PvE Challenges
  • Dungeons
  • Dark Anchors
  • Overland Bosses
Gathering and Crafting
  • Finding Materials
  • Harvesting Resources
  • Crafting
  • Smithing
  • Alchemy
  • Provisioning
  • Enchanting
The Alliance War (PvP)
  • Campaigns
  • Alliance Points and Emperorship
  • Keeps
  • Siege Weapons
  • Forward Camps
  • Transitus Shrines
  • Elder Scrolls
Recommended & Minimum System Specs
  • PC
  • Mac
Getting Help
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Tobiz
    Tobiz
    ✭✭✭
    Good job!
    Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.
  • Louis
    Louis
    ✭✭✭
    Nice..
    alot of people look at this signature, i guess youre one of them.
  • JLancaster
    B) legal
    o:) Tudo o que não me mata... me da XP!!! (*) ;-)
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should cut down on some simple questions.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to the OP. This should be of help to new folks.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, yes this should stop a lot of the same posts that seem to repeat.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• xWHALESHARKx
    xWHALESHARKx
    ✭✭
    As a total MMORPG noob, many thanks.
    We may not be big, but we're small.

Thunder-Perfect-Mind
    Imperial Nightblade
    Aldmeri Dominion
    NA Megaserver
  • Zameri
    Zameri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish i still had my old guide up :p But that would require alot of revision
    Arkay Beta Tester
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Zameri wrote: »

We could grab it for you, if that would help.

Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • Zameri
    Zameri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We could grab it for you, if that would help.

That would be awesome! If you guys could do that i will revise it and make it suited for the release! :D Very much appreciated!
    Arkay Beta Tester
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see the tips and tricks from the ESO part of the Bethesda forum up on here.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    That would be awesome! If you guys could do that i will revise it and make it suited for the release! :D Very much appreciated!

Sent!

Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • APRA_GhostHunter
    Awesome guys thanks!!!
    "May your road lead you to warm sands."
  • Zameri
    Zameri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sent!

Thank you very much once again!
    Arkay Beta Tester
  • dokupe
    dokupe
    ✭✭✭
    @Zameri Nice to see that you're bringing back and updating the old beta guide. I still want my Arkay back though...

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ Any chance those tester roles will find relevance enough to bring them back in some fashion? That or someone ought to make a guild for Arkay at least~
    Edited by dokupe on March 31, 2014 4:09AM
    Future Gadget Lab is recruiting adventurers like yourself for endgame PvE content! Interested in joining? Hop on the discord and leave a message! https://discord.gg/BTKX7T5
  • Zameri
    Zameri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dokupe although im not quite ready to get my guild off the ground you can join it and start recruiting. I have a raid call set up and am working on the website now.
    Arkay Beta Tester
  • dokupe
    dokupe
    ✭✭✭
    @Dokupe although im not quite ready to get my guild off the ground you can join it and start recruiting. I have a raid call set up and am working on the website now.

@Zameri Oh, you're making one already? For Arkay's testers or just including them? I got my guild name yesterday luckily, but I can't create any others now. Send me an invite though.
    Edited by dokupe on March 31, 2014 11:00AM
    Future Gadget Lab is recruiting adventurers like yourself for endgame PvE content! Interested in joining? Hop on the discord and leave a message! https://discord.gg/BTKX7T5
  • Minxylady
    Minxylady
    OH sweet.. thanks for this.. ^^
    primrodiallogo23_zps59966b13.png
  • Pwezsal19
    Pwezsal19
    OH MY AKATOSH!
  • Metella
    Metella
    ✭✭
    I have never played an MMO before, so this is really helpful, thanks!
  • Zameri
    Zameri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to inform everyone that my guide has been made and is up under player guides and is called "Zams Guide To Everything ESO" And provides TONS of great information for all players!
    Arkay Beta Tester
  • Locutius
    Locutius
    I would really have liked to see a lot more help with character creation. Each step explained. I don't know if I have selected an alliance or not. No hints of which alliance choice means what. Races needed a more enhanced description. Everything should have been at hand to make the best choice as possible. Was all just a bit obscure. What is really needed is a strategy guide even though I understand this is an evolving game, it would have been a great help.

So far I have played about 3 hours and wondering if I have made a decent choice or start again - which I definitely don't want to do.

Guys, I love your work and have been a dedicated fan since Morrowind but delivering us into this epic title could have been done much better especially considering the amount of money people will spend buying and subscribing to this game.
  • Ayleid
    Ayleid
    Thanks! Should help new people a lot!
  • Grouchie
    Grouchie
    I just wish we had the opportunity to choose between this 1st person interface and the more traditional MMO 3rd person interface like we have in Rift, WoW, Everquest. The 1st person shooter style is great for running around and shooting people in the face, but for an MMO of this era it just doesn't work
  • Cabot
    Cabot
    ✭✭✭
    Grouchie wrote: »
    I just wish we had the opportunity to choose between this 1st person interface and the more traditional MMO 3rd person interface like we have in Rift, WoW, Everquest. The 1st person shooter style is great for running around and shooting people in the face, but for an MMO of this era it just doesn't work

the scroll wheel on the mouse will allow you to move in and out of first person and adjust how far back from your avatar you can be. There is also a "key bind" to toggle in and out of first person mode also. I'm blanking on which button at the moment but a quick glance at the control settings should tell you.
  • Mistindantacles
    Between OP and Zameris' guide ... awesomesauce! Thank you, folks.
  • sbanned_501005
    add me raylusion level 3
  • reno43557
    reno43557
    Soul Shriven
    from what ive read this game is like wow, tera and rift all in one game a *** masterpiece of epicness cant wait till this download is done and work to being the emporer of the *** world!!!!!!
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    Nice guide but I couldn't find anything on 'Collectable' or 'Trophy' items.

Did I miss something? If not could you add some info on these.
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Cabot wrote: »
    Grouchie wrote: »

the scroll wheel on the mouse will allow you to move in and out of first person and adjust how far back from your avatar you can be. There is also a "key bind" to toggle in and out of first person mode also. I'm blanking on which button at the moment but a quick glance at the control settings should tell you.

V is the standard key :)
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!