The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Heal + Block Stacking Too Strong in Cryodiil

• Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    I provided one example and half of these replies are trollish snarks trying to make this about soul assault. Anyone in Cyrodiil right now if they're being honest sees how a select number of OP classes are way over performing because they have access to a big burst heal AND they can bump blue cp into healing and not lose any ability to kill.

It's not enjoyable for a 12 man group to get wiped by a 4 man templar group. And before someone tries to take a swipe I only run in comp groups. I still happens because the immortal templar, warden, and sorc builds you can go watch on youtube right now are running all over the rest of the classes.

Honestly, not being snarky, but target selection is a thing. You probably would have destroyed me on my MagPlar or StamPlar alts, because I kinda suck at playing them. But for someone that knows their class cold and has good reactions, anyone can be a very formidable foe. 3v1 doesn't guarantee a win by any means, I have seen more lose to 1 on many occasions.

I think the point he was trying to drive home is that block healing is too powerful.
    As annoying rolly polly nightblades are, dodgeroll does have its counters with hard hitting aoes, and it's up to you to land those, so there is counterplay and an element of skill.
    Lot of ppl also use roots to try to force opponents to dodgeroll to specifically land those.
    With block the problem is, you can hold it for insane amounts of time, mitigates a ton of dmg, and most dmg that goes thru is just too weak right now.
    His example was kinda memeish, but the point is still valid.
    Just the other day I was in cyro on my magden getting tier 1, and I had a nice little 1v7, when blocking and rotating Arctic blast and trellis kept me alive and my opponents had next to no chance to take me down. Sure they weren't good players, but I could've used the same strategy aganist a really skilled opponent in a 1v1.
    And before anyone says that x stun goes thru block, yeah it doesn't matter you just break free and go back to turtling.
    But the biggest issue here, is the amount of investment into this playstyle is usually very minimal, meaning you can still have a build that dishes out big dmg while also being able to turtle this hard.
    With dodgerolling, due to the gradual cost increase, you actually want to invest into wearing wellfitted gear etc if you want to keep dodging for prolonged amounts of time, with block you really don't have to.

I remember back in the day when bleeds used to ignore resistances and do actual damage, you could punish for example permablocking dks super hard, especially if they were building lots of sturdy pieces for example.
    You really can do that anymore, at least not without procsets as most skill based dots simply aren't doing enough damage anymore. On top of that the 2 dlc classes also have a built in purge, so it's even harder to punish them for it.
    I'm not sure what Zos could do here.
    Its unlikely that blocking will ever get any serious nerf, since pve tanks will burn this forum to the ground if Zos tries it, and pvp balance hasn't ever been a particularly high priority for the devs.
    Edited by Firstmep on April 13, 2021 6:48AM
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    On top of that the 2 dlc classes also have a built in purge, so it's even harder to punish them for it.

Remove the purge entirely from Warden, and increase the health cost for Hexproof. Off the top of my head I can't recall if you have to drop block to cast Renewing Undeath, but I don't think this one is much of an issue regarding self-purging. This means we're in a MagPlar meta if DoTs get buffed to the level some of us would like, but you know. We'll complain about that then. Curative Curse is a really strong passive in this realm too, but whatever, Necro's only practical HP-scaled heal is corpse-dependent.

Edited by Urzigurumash on April 13, 2021 7:03AM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    On top of that the 2 dlc classes also have a built in purge, so it's even harder to punish them for it.

Remove the purge entirely from Warden, and increase the health cost for Hexproof. Off the top of my head I can't recall if you have to drop block to cast Renewing Undeath, but I don't think this one is much of an issue regarding self-purging. This means we're in a MagPlar meta if DoTs get buffed to the level some of us would like, but you know. We'll complain about that then. Curative Curse is a really strong passive in this realm too, but whatever, Necro's only practical HP-scaled heal is corpse-dependent.

I mean extended ritual is pretty expensive already let's be real.
    But I'd be down to some purge protection mechanic.
    Ofc proc sets would have to be addressed first, or wewill just have everyone run around in zaan and vate destro(which is already the case for bgs anyway).
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ofc proc sets would have to be addressed first, or wewill just have everyone run around in zaan and vate destro(which is already the case for bgs anyway).

I don't think either of those are purgeable, as members of the Beam family along with Radiant Oppression and Soul Assault, but maybe they are now. Point taken though, for sure Venomous Smite, Oblivion's Foe, etc. would see more use.

Edited by Urzigurumash on April 13, 2021 7:55AM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I provided one example and half of these replies are trollish snarks trying to make this about soul assault. Anyone in Cyrodiil right now if they're being honest sees how a select number of OP classes are way over performing because they have access to a big burst heal AND they can bump blue cp into healing and not lose any ability to kill.

It's not enjoyable for a 12 man group to get wiped by a 4 man templar group. And before someone tries to take a swipe I only run in comp groups. I still happens because the immortal templar, warden, and sorc builds you can go watch on youtube right now are running all over the rest of the classes.

If your 12 is getting wiped by 4 Templars, that is about [snip] issue I have read in seven years on these forums.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on April 14, 2021 12:51PM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I don't think either of those are purgeable, as members of the Beam family along with Radiant Oppression and Soul Assault, but maybe they are now. Point taken though, for sure Venomous Smite, Oblivion's Foe, etc. would see more use.

Radiant is purgeable, vate isn't, as for zaan, I usually have too much *** on me to notice.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time I won't offer any examples. I'll just state the concern, which is a valid criticism. This is a rampant issue on XB.
    Edited by DrSlaughtr on April 13, 2021 3:14PM
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a Nerf Radial Sweep thread?

Now I've seen everything.
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heals are really strong now but they work as a hard counter to bursts/dots. If they were able to block and outheal that damage good for them honestly. But nerfing heals would be going backwards, because since damage is so high, the same should be for heals. Imagine going around getting hit with 15k incaps and your counter to that is an 8k crit heal or lower, you're most likely going to die without being able to put a fighting chance. I run double damage sets on my magplar and can crit heal for 14k-15k, so I'd say that's a pretty good counter to an incoming 15k incap. If he could heal through your damage, he just probably has higher stats to allow his heals to hit for more than what you could put out
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If your 12 is getting wiped by 4 Templars, that is about [snip] issue I have read in seven years on these forums.

An AD templar [snip] handed me my ass a couple weeks ago: clearly templars are overtuned. It's the only possible explanation.

[snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on April 14, 2021 12:50PM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If your 12 is getting wiped by 4 Templars, that is about as big of a L2P issue I have read in seven years on these forums.

Actually, no. They were good. So were we. But all of them were equiped with blessed, focused mending, and reaving blows awhile block casting puncturing sweep which also heals.

Then they all cast an ultimate (radial) that only costs 75 but dealt 15k+ on death recap.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If your 12 is getting wiped by 4 Templars, that is about as big of a L2P issue I have read in seven years on these forums.

Actually, no. They were good. So were we. But all of them were equiped with blessed, focused mending, and reaving blows awhile block casting puncturing sweep which also heals.

Then they all cast an ultimate (radial) that only costs 75 but dealt 15k+ on death recap.

Block casting puncturing sweeps? That's a skill I haven't mastered in 7 years of playing Templar, care to let me on the secret?
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    block casting puncturing sweep which also heals.
    Just finished lecturing for the day so I'm a little tired to be snarky. I will be truthful instead.

1) You cannot block cast a channeled ability, blocking will just cancel it mid cast.
    2) the heals from puncturing sweep have never saved anyone's life in cyrodiil in at least 5 years.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faded wrote: »

An AD templar [snip] handed me my ass a couple weeks ago: clearly templars are overtuned. It's the only possible explanation.

[snip]

I see what you did there :wink:

[snip] Sweeps can not be block cast.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on April 14, 2021 12:49PM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

I'm well aware that sweep is a channel and while it's channeling you're not blocking. But when they're animation cancelling, you know, hitting block...

Sweep on repeat, then block cast heal to 100 when needed. It's easy mode. I've run my magplar using the same setup and it's stupidly easy.

[snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on April 14, 2021 12:47PM
  • Daemonai
    Daemonai
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I have a question: why didn't you block his 15k Radial Sweep the same way he blocked your Soul Assault or were you all so shocked he didn't die from your stealth ultimate dump that you forgot how to play entirely?

While I don't dispute that some things in this game are OP, this sounds like a classic example of being outplayed and lacking game knowledge. The fact you thought your 100k tooltip meant anything or that jabs could be blockcast emphasizes that point.

Edited by Daemonai on April 14, 2021 1:41AM
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daemonai wrote: »
    So I have a question: why didn't you block his 15k Radial Sweep the same way he blocked your Soul Assault or were you all so shocked he didn't die from your stealth ultimate dump that you forgot how to play entirely?

While I don't dispute that some things in this game are OP, this sounds like a classic example of being outplayed and lacking game knowledge. The fact you thought your 100k tooltip meant anything or that jabs could be blockcast emphasizes that point.

I’d like to see a screenshot of this 15k Radial Sweep and know how much resistance he has. Could this Radial be the initial dmg along with all the ticks after...combined? I’ve done a few close to 10k initial hit before. But I’ve also done quite a few Surprise Attacks close to 10k, which isn’t even an ultimate and has no cast time. But not 15k.
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heavy armor should lower damage output. It's for tanks, not damage dealers.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    Daemonai wrote: »

I’d like to see a screenshot of this 15k Radial Sweep and know how much resistance he has. Could this Radial be the initial dmg along with all the ticks after...combined? I’ve done a few close to 10k initial hit before. But I’ve also done quite a few Surprise Attacks close to 10k, which isn’t even an ultimate and has no cast time. But not 15k.

I've hit 15k crescent before, but it was on a pve player with no resistances or impen back when you could have 0.
    Im guessing he runs a glass cannon build, and just expects to get kills from stealth.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heavy armor should lower damage output. It's for tanks, not damage dealers.

a while ago heavy did buff ur dmg so just keep it as it is its balanced
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    The passive health regen you can get is just game breaking. It should be capped around 2k at least or just during combat. Even just 2k is a lot, but it balances well with dots.
    Edited by Mr_Gallows on April 14, 2021 11:44AM
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Gallows wrote: »
    The passive health regen you can get is just game breaking. It should be capped around 2k at least or just during combat. Even just 2k is a lot, but it balances well with dots.

thats kinda true
    i have a build with 4,5k health reg and what did i sacrafice for it ? 1 red cp slot
    cause i play a sorc there the ult only drains 30 at a time === i have so fkng much life reg and good dmg
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Gallows wrote: »

thats kinda true
    i have a build with 4,5k health reg and what did i sacrafice for it ? 1 red cp slot
    cause i play a sorc there the ult only drains 30 at a time === i have so fkng much life reg and good dmg

If the only place you could get health regen from was the red CP, it would be fine. Or if regens simply capped at 2k, so you had a choice of where to get it when building. The current regen rates are just game breaking for all three stats 2k hard cap and then only skills can add to that... not sets, procs etc. If anything it would add more build diversity and more importantly better gameplay balance.

Also when people post x-build video of something unkillable... healt regen is very clearly there when you watch the gameplay. Health regen unbalances everyone exploiting it currently.
    Edited by Mr_Gallows on April 14, 2021 6:32PM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record buffed my residences are both over 20k.

Its kinda hard to block a radial sweep since it's kinda instantaneous unless you're already blocking, which you can't if you're channeling soul or toxic.

I'm here to talk about how easy it is for some classes to get massive health regen while sacrificing little. If any of you don't think that's a concern I respectfully disagree.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For the record buffed my residences are both over 20k.

Its kinda hard to block a radial sweep since it's kinda instantaneous unless you're already blocking, which you can't if you're channeling soul or toxic.

I'm here to talk about how easy it is for some classes to get massive health regen while sacrificing little. If any of you don't think that's a concern I respectfully disagree.

Radial sweep has a cast time like a lot of other ults.
    It used to be instant, now the damage only happens when the caster finishes he circling motion above their head.
    It's actually one of the easier ults to read.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast time is .4 seconds but okay.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    Ever since CP 2.0 group players have figured out how to save the tank meta while still being able to output high damage.

For example, templars. As someone who used to main a magplar it's nice to see them and their stam brothers in arms doing so well.

But the game working as intended shouldn't create importal characters.

Here's an example that happened last night.

Three stamblades hit a magplar with 3 soul assaults. We all run the same build. Buffed up our soul assaults do over 100k damage in the tooltip.

The magplar went to their sword and board, blocked, and healed through all of it, then hit us with a 15k radial sweep.

This is just one example out of countless over the last few weeks. Wardens, sorcs and necros are also easily out healing massive damage dumps.

I'm not a nerf advocate. But things do need to be balanced before they even think about bringing back procs. If players can out heal that now, imagine if they were wearing crimson or thews.

On a related note I think the duration of some poisons should be increased, such as resource drain. Many players have figured out how to never really run out of resources which adds to the above issue.

[Quoted post was removed]

[snip]

The whole point was to talk about how easy it is to turn certain classes into nigh immortals unless significantly out numbered which is not a balanced system. If you disagree that there's an issue then say that. [snip] There are plenty of people in this thread confirming what I'm talking about.

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 17, 2021 2:14PM
  • madmidwestmark
    madmidwestmark
    ✭✭✭
    Ever since CP 2.0 group players have figured out how to save the tank meta while still being able to output high damage.

For example, templars. As someone who used to main a magplar it's nice to see them and their stam brothers in arms doing so well.

Three stamblades hit a magplar with 3 soul assaults. We all run the same build. Buffed up our soul assaults do over 100k damage in the tooltip.

The magplar went to their sword and board, blocked, and healed through all of it, then hit us with a 15k radial sweep.

This is just one example out of countless over the last few weeks. Wardens, sorcs and necros are also easily out healing massive damage dumps.

I'm not a nerf advocate. But things do need to be balanced before they even think about bringing back procs. If players can out heal that now, imagine if they were wearing crimson or thews.

On a related note I think the duration of some poisons should be increased, such as resource drain. Many players have figured out how to never really run out of resources which adds to the above issue.

[snip]

The whole point was to talk about how easy it is to turn certain classes into nigh immortals unless significantly out numbered which is not a balanced system. If you disagree that there's an issue then say that. [snip] There are plenty of people in this thread confirming what I'm talking about.

Sounds like they blocked in light armor with s&b, you and the homies weren't running mirage/blur/phantasmal, didn't use a shadow ability for the armor and then got hit with a crit while having very low crit resist. If you just had 1 of you use gap close (ambush), incap, fear while the others were using soul assault, you'd have burned him down fast. NB and sorc are finesse classes, DK, warden and templar are brawler classes. They are easier to play head to head in open combat typically. The merciless resolve and other morph can hit hard, plus incap for the extra damage bonus. Try that with a bow/dw setup and you'll probably kill more people. Nb has a much higher skill ceiling and is much more powerful than templar/warden/dk when in the right hands. Sorc's could be more of an issue because shields get so big. By the time you get mitigation and healing high in a temp/dk/warden, you are losing damage. There is a trade off there since you have to slot many of the healing cp tree healing buffs.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 17, 2021 2:14PM
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have had to edit or remove several posts for Baiting. Ensure when engaging in a discussion that you keep said discussion civil, constructive, and within the rules. If you see a post that is baiting in nature do not engage it with further hostility and instead report it for the moderators to review.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.
    Staff Post
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

Sounds like they blocked in light armor with s&b, you and the homies weren't running mirage/blur/phantasmal, didn't use a shadow ability for the armor and then got hit with a crit while having very low crit resist. If you just had 1 of you use gap close (ambush), incap, fear while the others were using soul assault, you'd have burned him down fast. NB and sorc are finesse classes, DK, warden and templar are brawler classes. They are easier to play head to head in open combat typically. The merciless resolve and other morph can hit hard, plus incap for the extra damage bonus. Try that with a bow/dw setup and you'll probably kill more people. Nb has a much higher skill ceiling and is much more powerful than templar/warden/dk when in the right hands. Sorc's could be more of an issue because shields get so big. By the time you get mitigation and healing high in a temp/dk/warden, you are losing damage. There is a trade off there since you have to slot many of the healing cp tree healing buffs.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I don't disagree that had we been smarter in the moment the outcome of that example might have been different. But my point for making the thread wasnt contingent on that one situation. I only mentioned that one because it had just happened before I made the post.

Multiple classes are able to heal through significant amounts of damage due to their class heals and mitigation that are already strong being buffed to the moon.

I know warden on pts is seeing a heal reduction but templar, necro, and sorc could use the same.

I've seen plenty of nightblades and DKs get big heals through cp but those classes suffer more damage loss by going into the left side of the warfare tree.