The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Snipe should have ramping cost

Tendoshii
Tendoshii
✭✭✭
Just like streak.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS can make it a falling ramp for all I care, if they just fix the freaking desyncs.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Husan
    Husan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unpopular opinion: if there are no major changes coming to core mechanics in ESO (*cough*cooldowns*cough*) all skills should have ramping costs.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Husan wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion: if there are no major changes coming to core mechanics in ESO (*cough*cooldowns*cough*) all skills should have ramping costs.

Yeah, right. We need more encouragement for people to put on multiple damage proc sets and run around using only light attacks.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • jesse318sub17_ESO
    jesse318sub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If you did give Snipe ramping costs when you spam it, then it would probably be fair to give the morphed debuffs (minor defile/minor breach) a longer duration. It'd be less spammy, and more like poison.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’d rather they just fix the desyncs that happens with all skills including seige rather than single out 1 skill just cause it killed you.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snipe needs to have the animation reworked to fly faster and not in a giant arc. The travel time is the main reason this skill desynchs through the server.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »

Yeah, right. We need more encouragement for people to put on multiple damage proc sets and run around using only light attacks.

Careful there, i almost thought that wasn't sacrcasm.

Jesus, ramping costs on every skill would be such a bad idea.
    Edited by JinMori on January 1, 2021 1:23PM
  • jesse318sub17_ESO
    jesse318sub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    JinMori wrote: »

Yeah, I think the bows ranged advantage in PvP makes it a difficult case. The range bows have is pretty exploitable. Focused Aim being a morph that makes Snipe actually cost less sounds pretty counterintuitive to the idea of making Snipe a balanced spammable, since it also increases the range of your attacks against the affected enemy.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JinMori wrote: »

Yeah, I think the bows ranged advantage in PvP makes it a difficult case. The range bows have is pretty exploitable. Focused Aim being a morph that makes Snipe actually cost less sounds pretty counterintuitive to the idea of making Snipe a balanced spammable, since it also increases the range of your attacks against the affected enemy.

Yea, but one thing is higher cost and that's it, another is ramping cost, that would kill the skill.
    Edited by JinMori on January 1, 2021 7:45PM
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snipe deserves its own forum page.
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "I get killed by snipe, so nerf snipe".

Meanwhile, people can keep spamming any other op skill with no ramping cost.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is true. Snipe is really easy to dodge as well. Players dodge it all the time when i pvp with my bow bow stamblade. They look like sonic the hedgehog. I only spam it in BGs if i can do so from a perch. Otherwise there are better abilities to use.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is true. Snipe is really easy to dodge as well. Players dodge it all the time when i pvp with my bow bow stamblade. They look like sonic the hedgehog. I only spam it in BGs if i can do so from a perch. Otherwise there are better abilities to use.

It's the desync, often you don't know you have been by one until 2-3 land. So the counter isn't there ATM. They can keep it exactly the same but fix the desync👍
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's the desync, often you don't know you have been by one until 2-3 land. So the counter isn't there ATM. They can keep it exactly the same but fix the desync👍
    As i mentioned i play a bow/bow NB and i use snipe a lot. Players dodge it all the time. I typically have to wait until they are fully distracted by multiple other players to use it.

There is some lag/desync in both PVP and PVE( seems to be mostly group instances) occurring right now for everyone.I play a lot of BGs and most of the time players don't have issues dodging it there. In Cyro it will be the standard desync that people have been complaining about for...ever. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

• Barbaran
    Barbaran
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only takes 2-4 snipes to kill depending on both builds involved.

From stealth, not using stam for anything else. Doesn't matter.
    Snipe snipe, potion, snipe snipe
  • Tendoshii
    Tendoshii
    ✭✭✭
    There is no counter with the lag and desyncs. The impact on BGs and Cyrodiil is disproportionate to any realistic counter. Even if I run detect pots, I have to leave the entire fight/capture point to hunt down one person?

I don’t get sniped in duels and there’s a reason for that. On an even playing field, the cowards know they’ll get exposed because counters exist in that environment. They only use it/spam it in environments where they can do so without being countered. Significantly ramping costs means they have to be much for tactical and wise when playing like that because two to three snipes and they should be out of resources.
  • RandomKodiak
    RandomKodiak
    ✭✭✭✭
    Until they separate Pvp and PvE doing so would kill an entire weapon line in PvE though. I agree with the desyncs in PvP snipe can be aboslutly overpowered but as a PvE bow/bow player you would kill my main with said ramping cost as no other "spamable" even comes close to the damage of Lethal Arrow and I mean by 6-10k. I am not sure what the solution is as I said I know on the PvP side it is a major issue but calling for killing an entire skill line seems unfair as well.
  • Dominion_Nightblade
    Yes please buff snipe
  • DonGodJoe
    DonGodJoe
    ✭✭✭
    Dizzying Swing should have ramping cost .. teoretically speaking every strong spammable should have ramping cost based on your topic.

Logical solution would be removing proc builds, people blame skills but its always set fault..
    Saying you can take 6-10k from snipe? No. (possible more likely with vampire ability, titanborn and malacath)
    My bow/bow nb is good but im aint doing 6k snipe shots to players except those who have no idea how to play the game, or their itemization is bad. Facing regular (most likely tank players almost at every corner) players wont let me make a hit for more than 5k
    The whole pvp is just a joke (and its not just my opinion, there is plenty of streamers or regular players saying this as well)
    Just use procs. Simple. No brain is required.
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, people don't die to snipe because someone uses it 5+ times in a row unless they are a really bad player so ramping cost would fix nothing. The only thing wrong with snipe that needs to be fixed is how often you'll drop dead with 2-3 of them hitting you before you even hear the audio cue to dodge the first and ramping cost wouldn't address that issue in any way.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest issue with snipe is the "hidden mechanic" that causes skills to stun an enemy target if it's used from behind and/or stealth/hidden and sneak. This works for ANY skill and not just snipe, but snipe is by far the worst offender that interacts with this mechanic.

In my opinion, initiating the snipe skill should remove the user from stealth and sneak/hidden. This way you won't be "stunned desynced" on the receiving end and it opens up better counterplay options without changing anything about the snipe skill itself.

In the best of worlds I'd like to seen ZOS remove the mechanic that allows skills and abilities to stun targets just because you were behind them or in sneak/stealth/hidden.
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »

Yes, people don't die to snipe because someone uses it 5+ times in a row unless they are a really bad player so ramping cost would fix nothing. The only thing wrong with snipe that needs to be fixed is how often you'll drop dead with 2-3 of them hitting you before you even hear the audio cue to dodge the first and ramping cost wouldn't address that issue in any way.

This 100%. You can get killed from snipe because of the desynch and that shouldn't happen. If someone lands 5 snipers in a row on you and you did because you don't know how to break free, block, dodge, then it's a LTP issue. Oh, and the issues when you can't break free despite spamming it is also something that needs to be fixed. The initial stun from a NB is fair, not being able to break free because of performance issues for a few seconds despite spamming break free is not.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    There are some adjustments for Snipe in Update 29 (and going onto PTS today). Would love to hear everyone's feedback on this after you have a chance to try it out.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So caving to the guys that don't like ranged play eh?
  • RandomKodiak
    RandomKodiak
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope it's not a big nerf because in PvE there is no replacement by 10k damage and it would kill bow/bow
  • DeathStalker
    DeathStalker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some adjustments for Snipe in Update 29 (and going onto PTS today). Would love to hear everyone's feedback on this after you have a chance to try it out.

How can you type this response and be getting us natch potes at the same time? It makes no sense?
    Edited by DeathStalker on January 27, 2021 4:59PM
  • Felexir
    Felexir
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno where can I find these snipe adjustment notes?
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If someone is sniping you can either close the gap on them (easy) or if they're on a ledge or keep you can simply move like 5 feet back.

I've never had a snipe I couldn't heal through, unless I got desync'd and was already dead before the first arrow hit. Still happens sometimes, but its rare.
  • RandomKodiak
    RandomKodiak
    ✭✭✭✭
    This was on a bow/bow both the "new" sorc skill then LA 75cc6bft52ay.png
    Like I said no comparison so I hope they didn't just kill bow/bow
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's year 2021 and people still have problems with snipe :neutral:
    EU PC