The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Proposed solution for the Undaunted Key problem

code65536
code65536
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
When the current version of the Undaunted Keys system was implemented in Update 12 (One Tamriel), the shoulders were split into three chests to alleviate the problem of new shoulders diluting the chances of getting a specific shoulder. At the time, Urgarlag's chest had only 4 possible shoulders, for WGT, ICP, RoM, and CoS.

As of Update 21, Urgarlag's chest now has 12 possible shoulders. And if things don't change, the next dungeon DLC will bring this up to 14. The current system does not scale well with the addition of new content.

So here's what I propose:
  1. Convert Undaunted Keys to a currency similar to Writ Vouchers.
  2. Make the Undaunted Chests act like magical vending machines.
    • When you interact with a chest, instead of receiving random loot, you are presented with a vendor screen.
    • The center chest will sell Undaunted shoulders.
      • You will buy a "Valkyn Skoria Coffer" that contains a Valkyn Skoria shoulder of random weight and random trait.
      • The price of the coffer could be similar to the average number of keys currently needed to get a random Valkyn Skoria shoulder from the chest. E.g., 12 keys.
      • As suggested by @DeadlyRecluse there could be a random grabbag coffer that costs 1 key and can drop any shoulder, for those people who like rolling the dice.
    • One side chest will sell the Mercenary motif. Individual chapter sold for X number of keys or the complete book for a price that is a small discount of 14*X.
    • One side chest will sell special items; for example:
      • Style pages
      • Achievement furnishings (for people who would prefer to spend keys rather than gold).
  3. This would open up the way for adding other rewards to the pledge system. For example, selling supplies such as apothecary satchels.

By using coffers that contain a shoulder of random weight and trait, it would preserve some of the RNG--but it wouldn't be nearly as frustrating as dipping into the full pool of possible shoulders--and it would prevent the vendor screen from being overwhelmed by hundreds of different items.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_Finn Please consider this, thanks.
Edited by code65536 on March 5, 2019 12:57PM
Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
Personal best scores:
Dungeon trifectas:
Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can’t believe I’m going to ask this but where did the shoulders go?

Ah never mind I see you changed the helmets to shoulders
    Edited by macsmooth on February 27, 2019 1:45PM
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't hate this idea!

You could even include a 1 key, random any-shoulder coffer, too, to keep that an option.

Alternatively, they could just add a 4th chest at some point to keep the ratios roughly similar.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    God YES PLEASE! <3 I was just talking about this - there are 12 sets lol when I was trying to get the new shoulders to match my new hat xD
  • lassitershawn
    lassitershawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea. I'd probably do MORE undaunted if this was the case I'd be more encouraged to go get the same sets for other toons/specs and/or try out new combos.
    William Thorne - EP Breton Sorcerer
    Astrid Winterborn - EP Breton Warden
    Erik Ironskin - EP Nord Dragonknight
    Venasa Viri - EP Dunmer Nightblade

IR x8, GH x5, TTT x2
  • ZOS_RichLambert
    ZOS_RichLambert
    Creative Director
    /lurk
    Rich Lambert
    Creative Director - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like this.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /lurk

Don't you have work to do?
    poke.gif

• Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    /sign

I like it.

rip decibel
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, thats a really good idea. well-thought, considers both sides of the party and well prepared for the future. new monsterset.. just add a new box.

this is the first idea from a player in this forum, in which i full agree.

and guess what... if there would be a chest for hosuing things like you suggested.... i would do pledges everyday again :)
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that I like about this is that it makes Undaunted chests work more similarly to the way, well, almost everything else works in the game. It makes sense that the systems for buying Alliance War sets, Undaunted sets, furniture, etc. shouldn't all be radically different from one another, and right now buying Undaunted sets is the one big outlier.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What I find particularly annoying with the current setup is that you end up with more and more of the original 4 shoulders. I haven't even bothered trying to get shoulders from the moonhunter DLC. I decided I would wait for a few more dungeon DLC before dropping keys so that a higher percentage of shoulders make me happy.
  • ZOS_RichLambert
    ZOS_RichLambert
    Creative Director
    SirAndy wrote: »
    /lurk

poke.gif

Reading the forums is part of that... I just don't always respond. :wink:
    Rich Lambert
    Creative Director - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good Idea!

The PvP reward box system already operates similar to this, so implementation should hopefully be easy!
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    9UXUyLp.png
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Phaedrathallassa
    Phaedrathallassa
    ✭✭✭
    If you are intending to implement something similar to the OP, be sure to make it so undaunted keys can be shared across characters! In the current system it is only mildly annoying to obtain shoulders when you have 5 keys on one and 8 on another and so on, but if the fantastic idea in the OP is implemented then it would straight up prevent me from buying any.

In fact it would be most excellent if the keys could be moved to the currency tab in this system (but please don't put a cap on it, then I would be even less incentivized to run pledges).
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like everything about this idea. Well thought out, and well presented. Have an Awesome.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this idea much better... the grind is real for the chests right now!
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • corvair62
    corvair62
    ✭✭✭
    This is a huge quality of life change. Especially if you make the keys account wide currency like writ vouchers, AP, Telvar, Gold, Transmute stones....HEY wait a minute, why are keys not already account wide currency......
    If you are intending to implement something similar to the OP, be sure to make it so undaunted keys can be shared across characters!

In fact it would be most excellent if the keys could be moved to the currency tab in this system (but please don't put a cap on it, then I would be even less incentivized to run pledges).

Excelleny Ideas in this thread......You still /lurking @ZOS_RichLambert this is some good thinking

• WldKarde
    WldKarde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are some GREAT ideas! Keep em coming

Also nice to see that the /lurk Boss is in the house ;)
    PC NA
    Characters formally known as Veteran 16:
    Wldkarde, Sir WldKarde , Lil-Miss WldKarde,
    Dame WldKarde Stamplar "Master Angler" "Main" ,
    Shady WldKarde, WldKarde"s Bacon, Jaded WldKarde,
    River Wldkarde
    18 Master Anglers so far
    "Dames and Sirs, take my advice, pull down your pants...and slide on the ice!" Slightly adjusted quote of Dr. Sidney Friedman from M*A*S*H
  • Aldmor13
    Aldmor13
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to add that I too love this idea.

I was just thinking Monday about how much the DLC chest has grown over the years(which is a great problem to have), and that something will need to be done about it. This is a great option IMO.

Also love to see that /lurk :smile:
  • VelociousLegend
    VelociousLegend
    ✭✭✭
    Great idea!
    Xbox - NA
    GT: VelociousLegend
    PC - NA
    @VelociousLegend

"All gave some. Some gave all."
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    When the current version of the Undaunted Keys system was implemented in Update 12 (One Tamriel), the shoulders were split into three chests to alleviate the problem of new shoulders diluting the chances of getting a specific shoulder. At the time, Urgarlag's chest had only 4 possible shoulders, for WGT, ICP, RoM, and CoS.

As of Update 21, Urgarlag's chest now has 12 possible shoulders. And if things don't change, the next dungeon DLC will bring this up to 14. The current system does not scale well with the addition of new content.

• When you interact with a chest, instead of receiving random loot, you are presented with a vendor screen.
        • You will buy a "Valkyn Skoria Coffer" that contains a Valkyn Skoria shoulder of random weight and random trait.
        • The price of the coffer could be similar to the average number of keys currently needed to get a random Valkyn Skoria shoulder from the chest. E.g., 12 keys.
        • As suggested by @DeadlyRecluse there could be a random grabbag coffer that costs 1 key and can drop any shoulder, for those people who like rolling the dice.
      • One side chest will sell the Mercenary motif. Individual chapter sold for X number of keys or the complete book for a price that is a small discount of 14*X.
        • Style pages
        • Achievement furnishings (for people who would prefer to spend keys rather than gold).
    3. This would open up the way for adding other rewards to the pledge system. For example, selling supplies such as the Alliance spell power potions.

By using coffers that contain a shoulder of random weight and trait, it would preserve some of the RNG--but it wouldn't be nearly as frustrating as dipping into the full pool of possible shoulders--and it would prevent the vendor screen from being overwhelmed by hundreds of different items.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_Finn Please consider this, thanks.

i like this
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    /lurk

poke.gif

respond more rich, we like you
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »
    /lurk

poke.gif

But there’s a strong possibility that if he did, we wouldn’t :D
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • sylviermoone
    sylviermoone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solid ideas here, @code65536! I just want to second (or third) that it would be awesome if keys could be account bound rather than character bound.

*edit for typo. Always freaking typos*
    Edited by sylviermoone on February 28, 2019 3:22AM
    Co-GM, Angry Unicorn Traders: PC/NA
    "Official" Master Merchant Tech Support
    and Differently Geared AF
    @sylviermoone
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »
    /lurk

poke.gif

See I have a more pressing question for @ZOS_RichLambert and that is: Are you the one who reserved the name Lich Rambert? If so, that would be the most awesome thing ever and I’ll buy the 74.99 pack of crowns right now! 😂
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is an awesomely well thought-out idea, and I love (and approve of) every bit of it. Well done!
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /lurk

awesome idea. I just blew and wasted 150+ keys for one of the new DLC sets and the allmighty RNGesus did not favor me...
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

• Style pages
    3. This would open up the way for adding other rewards to the pledge system. For example, selling supplies such as apothecary satchels.

Brilliant.

BTW, you forgot to ask for sorc nerfs.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BuddyAces wrote: »
    Brilliant.

BTW, you forgot to ask for sorc nerfs.

You shut your dirty mouth!

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."