The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Last two AMD drivers cause flickering Grass so heavily grass has to be turned off or driver reverted

• Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm it's not fixed.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone who had been a big AMD fan boy for many years, my gut told me to move on to Intel a few weeks ago(I got many good years out of my Fx 8350 i got in 2012, even had it stable at 4.8 GHZ for 2 years)

I bought my 1st Intel Chip since the Pentium 4 (i5-7600k) with rebates and such, i got that, a high end SLI capable board, and 16 GB of DDR4 for under 380 bucks.

Ryzen so far has been a disappointment.

PCword did a real world test recently....pitting the Ryzen 1700 vs the 5 year old i5-3570k.....the i5-3570k beat the Ryzen in majority of games...and it not just beat it, it smoked it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176100/computers/amd-ryzen-7-1700-vs-a-5-year-old-gaming-pc-or-why-you-should-never-preorder.html

Furthermore, the SMT implementation in Ryzen is all messed up(AMD is blaming it on Windows Core Scheduler), but the issue is resource contention due to the shared cache and such (Intel worked out these problems with Sandy Bridge long ago)

Zen + will be on 14nm and Ryzen will be a 5 year chip at 14nm. Intel is moving to 10nm next year, and 7nm the following year...putting AMD further behind.

I was a active member of the AMD beta driver feedback program since 2005, i tried repeatedly to get them to release an AMD Crossfire profile for ESO and i gave up in December of 2016(after 2 years of asking in their program). they flat out refused to support their multi-gpu customers.

This forced me to move to my 1st Nvidia GPU since...gosh...3dfx was still around back then.

I have noticed Nvidia has drivers out for games day one. Major bugs are fixed withint 2-3 days. Intel has way better single threaded performance(i always knew this, my AMD FX done very well in games like Crysis 3, etc that used multiple cores, sadly most games are still dependent on strong cores)

So for the 1st time in nearly 13 years I am on an Intel + Nvidia platorm, and i can't see myself going back anytime soon. At the end of the year i will upgrade my 7600k to the best i7 that works with my board (the i5 was just to test the waters make sure i like it)

it really is a shame how far AMD has fallen in recent years....we need them for competition in the worst way, but they just can't seem to get out of their own way....you have no idea how sad it makes me that i had to move away from their stuff...but i knew Ryzen would be a huge left down...i just knew it.....shame too, because we needed Ryzen to really challenge Intel and so far that simply hasn't happened.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Drelkag
    Drelkag
    ✭✭✭
    Just started playing again and have this issue. Think I'll hold off on playing until AMD fixes the problem. :(
    Edited by Drelkag on March 16, 2017 5:50AM
    @drelkag on the NA server
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey guys, just letting you know that we're aware of this issue and are investigating solutions. Thanks!

Any chance of an ETA on a solution for this, having just installed a new card I would like to make use of the up to date drivers but had to install the previous version as the game is unplayable with the flickering and not as nice without the grass.

Not yet, but we are working with AMD to get it fixed as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can try turning down the ground clutter (or turning it off completely). It's not ideal, but will at least remove the flickering.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Arthmoor
    Arthmoor
    ✭✭✭
    I would be highly skeptical of trusting any review of AMD hardware or drivers coming from known Intel biased sources like PC World. They've been in Intel's pocket for years and show no signs of changing that.

I've already seen way more than enough proof that Ryzen is a solid competitor for Intel from sites that don't used rigged or unrealistic benchmarks to measure performance. So as far as I'm concerned there's no reason for anyone to continue to pay the Intel tax.
  • BGruchallab14_ESO
    BGruchallab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    im also having the Flickering Grass, but also Trees are flickering from a distance
  • klink012
    klink012
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, just letting you know that we're aware of this issue and are investigating solutions. Thanks!

Any chance of an ETA on a solution for this, having just installed a new card I would like to make use of the up to date drivers but had to install the previous version as the game is unplayable with the flickering and not as nice without the grass.

Not yet, but we are working with AMD to get it fixed as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can try turning down the ground clutter (or turning it off completely). It's not ideal, but will at least remove the flickering.

Thank you for the update! I noticed this as soon as I updated my driver and turned the grass off. Hopefully I can turn it back on soon.
  • Elder_Night
    Elder_Night
    ✭✭✭
    Same problem. Happened after updating AMD GPU driver.

R9 390 gaming 8G
    I'll blow your eyeballs off their hinges
  • Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same issue, same drivers. Rolling back until ZOS or AMD can find a fix together.

Really just posting this to keep an eye on the thread.
    Thank Stendarr it’s Fredas.
    Elanirne: Altmer Templar Healer, DC
    Auria Dolabella: Imperial Nightblade Tank, DC
  • thoughthavenb14_ESO
    Same issue with the latest drivers. This is really an odd case.
  • Kirsch9
    Kirsch9
    ✭✭
    yeah, having the same issue on a R9 290x card, but I have the 17.2.1 driver and it's still broken. I think I'm just going to turn off my grass for now. lol
  • Rastoric
    Rastoric
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who had been a big AMD fan boy for many years, my gut told me to move on to Intel a few weeks ago(I got many good years out of my Fx 8350 i got in 2012, even had it stable at 4.8 GHZ for 2 years)

I bought my 1st Intel Chip since the Pentium 4 (i5-7600k) with rebates and such, i got that, a high end SLI capable board, and 16 GB of DDR4 for under 380 bucks.

Ryzen so far has been a disappointment.

PCword did a real world test recently....pitting the Ryzen 1700 vs the 5 year old i5-3570k.....the i5-3570k beat the Ryzen in majority of games...and it not just beat it, it smoked it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176100/computers/amd-ryzen-7-1700-vs-a-5-year-old-gaming-pc-or-why-you-should-never-preorder.html

Furthermore, the SMT implementation in Ryzen is all messed up(AMD is blaming it on Windows Core Scheduler), but the issue is resource contention due to the shared cache and such (Intel worked out these problems with Sandy Bridge long ago)

Zen + will be on 14nm and Ryzen will be a 5 year chip at 14nm. Intel is moving to 10nm next year, and 7nm the following year...putting AMD further behind.

I was a active member of the AMD beta driver feedback program since 2005, i tried repeatedly to get them to release an AMD Crossfire profile for ESO and i gave up in December of 2016(after 2 years of asking in their program). they flat out refused to support their multi-gpu customers.

This forced me to move to my 1st Nvidia GPU since...gosh...3dfx was still around back then.

I have noticed Nvidia has drivers out for games day one. Major bugs are fixed withint 2-3 days. Intel has way better single threaded performance(i always knew this, my AMD FX done very well in games like Crysis 3, etc that used multiple cores, sadly most games are still dependent on strong cores)

So for the 1st time in nearly 13 years I am on an Intel + Nvidia platorm, and i can't see myself going back anytime soon. At the end of the year i will upgrade my 7600k to the best i7 that works with my board (the i5 was just to test the waters make sure i like it)

it really is a shame how far AMD has fallen in recent years....we need them for competition in the worst way, but they just can't seem to get out of their own way....you have no idea how sad it makes me that i had to move away from their stuff...but i knew Ryzen would be a huge left down...i just knew it.....shame too, because we needed Ryzen to really challenge Intel and so far that simply hasn't happened.

Pretty lame review comparing a 4.2ghz overclocked i5-3570k to a 3.0ghz 8 core Ryzen. I don't doubt my 2600K clocked to 4.5 would do the same. It actually compares better to Intel's more expensive 6/8 core CPUs, especially if using higher resolutions.

https://pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Overclocking-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-Real-Winner

Just Say No! to changing Sorcerer Magicka skills to Stamina.
  • XxxBlinkYxxX
    XxxBlinkYxxX
    ✭✭
    17.3.1 and still flickering
  • kopofmunt
    kopofmunt
    Soul Shriven
    Had to turn off grass.
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same problem here, with updating to 17.2.1 ánd 17.3.1 after that one. (Thought 17.3.1 might fix it, but alas..)
    Did a rollback to 17.1.1 which is what I had running before updating to 17.2.1 and everything works fine again.
    This only affects my ESO game, no other games seem to be affected.

Radeon Software Version - 17.1.1
    Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
    Graphics Chipset - Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
    Memory Size - 8192 MB
    Memory Type - GDDR5
    Core Clock - 1342 MHz
    Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
    System Memory - 16 GB
    CPU-type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    Alexium wrote: »
    Are 17.3.1 still not fixed problem?

No it hasn't so it isn't a AMD issues but the companies they are looking into it but no ETA on a fix at all for it as of yet. But hey at least they are looking instead of fixing and are more concerned with cancelling the maintenance instead of fixing.
  • Arthmoor
    Arthmoor
    ✭✭✭
    Just because AMD didn't issue an update that fixes it doesn't mean it isn't their issue. It just means it hasn't been through the proper validation processes. Software development isn't governed by internet time. It's governed by real world time where things actually have to go through being worked on, tested, retested, then certified before actually becoming part of the next driver. That's probably something that will take 2-3 weeks minimum, not something they can spit out in an hour to satisfy the impatient.
  • tclark_ESO
    tclark_ESO
    ✭✭
    I still have this issue. Rather disappointing.
    Can't really play until fixed. Don't care if it's AMD, or ZOS, but someone has to address this. and fix it.

At least I can still play Breath of the Wild with no problems.
    Edited by tclark_ESO on March 15, 2017 1:16AM
  • bishopdjr_ESO
    bishopdjr_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Having same issue

AMD GPU Driver 17.3.1

Tried rolling back to 17.2.1 same issue with this driver as well.

Had to roll back to 16.12.2 to get the flickering to stop.

It's annoying as I love the beautiful world of The Elder Scrolls Online. Would love an ETA, tho I know it is hard working with 3rd party issues.

Rig stats:
    Radeon software Version 17.3.1 (Crimson ReLive)
    I7 7700k 4.2GHz
    16GBs 1600mhz DDR3 RAM
    2x AMD Radeon R9 380x 8GB GDDR5
    Win 10 home 64bit
  • JH_Arts_ESO
    JH_Arts_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Just shut off the grass until it's fixed. No need to stop playing just because one tiny aspect that can simply be unchecked in the options is bugging out.
    [Edit] I'm having the same issue as well by the way and this is what I did. I'm not going to let a little visual difference keep me from playing a game from my favorite franchise.
    Edited by JH_Arts_ESO on March 15, 2017 7:26PM
  • MidnightSiren
    MidnightSiren
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same problem but I've just shut off the grass for the time being. As for the tree's flickering in the background, it's not SUCH a big problem that I cant ignore it. Until it's fixed I feel like its fine playing it as is. Plus on the bright side its easier to see the nodes on the grassier areas without the grass actually there to get in the way:P
  • Thermoluminescence
    Didn't expect to have movement in this thread when I came back to update. Nice to see.

Newest patch from AMD, 17.3.2 the grass flickers as well. Issue is still not fixed.

And to the people saying just turn off the grass, sadly that doesn't work for me. I play ESO mostly due to the aesthetics of the game, and not having grass is a pretty big visual change for the worse.
    Thankfully I have others games to play, so until this is fixed I am still gone. Overload is now in Early Access for example, from the original Devs of Descent. Been playing that a lot.
    Art is a lie that makes us realize truth.
  • Enthrall
    Enthrall
    Soul Shriven
    Also having the same issue. DEVS/AMD! if you are listening. Please fix this before mass effect! I need to update to that driver for the performance. I've seen this bug with grass in previous drivers and it went away. Its fixable but the last time it happened to me was more or less terrain and flickering but it also effected grass at the time.

I had to take like a month long break from ESO. Im seriously trying to hold out and not go back to nvidia right now. I've owned both and I have no issue switching between the two depending on compatibility.
  • tclark_ESO
    tclark_ESO
    ✭✭
    Just turning the grass off is not a solution. It's a work around, and a lazy one at that.
  • Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially since turning off grass doesn't fix the distant LOD objects that flicker, as well. I had to revert to older drivers.
    Thank Stendarr it’s Fredas.
    Elanirne: Altmer Templar Healer, DC
    Auria Dolabella: Imperial Nightblade Tank, DC
  • CaptainBritish
    CaptainBritish
    Soul Shriven
    I mean I must have seriously chosen the worst time to get an AMD GPU, it's been a few weeks since my upgrade and still nothing has been done about this and I'm... What, four, five driver revisions behind now?

Fix this.
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    I mean I must have seriously chosen the worst time to get an AMD GPU, it's been a few weeks since my upgrade and still nothing has been done about this and I'm... What, four, five driver revisions behind now?

Fix this.

I agree but from what little response we have gotten one sayong they now of this and loking into it and another saying they are working with amd to fix it and two updates later from AMD and no fix tells me they will not fix it.
  • Daran_Cousland
    Daran_Cousland
    ✭✭✭
    still not fixed? this is ridiculous.

This is the only game that's having issues, so rolling back the drivers doesn't make sense. I'll just play other games. I just wasted money on a month subscription for a broken product. I don't think I'll do that again.
  • Arthmoor
    Arthmoor
    ✭✭✭
    Driver glitches happen. ESO made no changes before this issue cropped up. It only happened with an AMD update. Therefore ESO can't fix it either. Blaming them for this is irrational. Blame AMD, who has said they're working on it. What more do you want? This stuff doesn't happen overnight.
  • Thermoluminescence
    Arthmoor wrote: »
    Driver glitches happen. ESO made no changes before this issue cropped up. It only happened with an AMD update. Therefore ESO can't fix it either. Blaming them for this is irrational. Blame AMD, who has said they're working on it. What more do you want? This stuff doesn't happen overnight.

Why are ESO fanboys getting caught up in the concept of blaming someone? Why can't this just be a bug report and leave it at that?

There is no blame, I don't care who is responsible.

But I cannot afford to replace a graphics card I bought less then 6 months ago. I can't play ESO with this bug. And I need updated drivers for other games.
    Art is a lie that makes us realize truth.